Coffee Shop XXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
12/06/2010

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

SteakEggs.png

:eek:
 
Weather guessers have us'uns pegged as getting between 26"-36" more snow before daybreak tomorrow--with an extra 4-8" due tomorrow before it all settles down--ain't that wonderful?:rolleyes::eek:

This is on top of the already large dumping we got last night--which has left us with almost 30" on the ground now---so here I be getting ready to go out in the snow to plow out the driveway ---with a big 4X4 powerwagon...:mad::eek:

maybe sometime this week I might get a chance to spend a bit of time on the layout...:rolleyes:;):D
 


it's 17 here today with a high of 20 degrees today. Snow showers off and on today with some accumulation and a low of 10 predicted for tonight.

Well, the way I see it, I don't have wind damage from a hurricane, we don't get blizzards but once every 5 or 6 years, I don't get earthquakes that knock anything over, and it's never more snow than my 4wd tracker can go thru and I don't have to remove the snow if I don't want to. The worst I get is the occasional tornado, and the odds of getting hit by is one pretty high. I can get out my quad and not worry about a sheriff's car catching me. lol I've yet to have a county anything keep up with me across a field. now don't get me wrong, I'm not a scofflaw, but I do take supplies to my friends out in the boonies and a 4wd quad is the only way to get there. I can usually meet them halfway with stuff like milk, kerosene, and LP.
 
Drown in a snow storm! Darn, that is a funny comeback:D.

Its still 37F here at noon with the sun brightly shinning. That's cold for the heart of Dixie. I got all the camper water lines blown out, anti-freeze in the traps, and the water heater drained over the week-end. We may go camping in January, but in the meantime, got to protect the home on wheels. Nothing worse than going to the woods and finding a broken water pipe.

I believe my first BB gun came on Christmas sometime around 1953. It was a Daisy Red Rider. I later cut grass all summer and bought a Daisy pump from Aldens catalog.(does that store still exist? I believe it was in Chicago.)

CJ: There is a coupler and shaft you can also get to help fit to a TT.

Terry: Do you remember GatorDave from the forums? He move to NC from Pensacola about a year ago. I have forgotten the town, but it is more in the mountains area...maybe near Cherokee. That reminds me: I need to try and connect with him again. We used to communicate quite often.
 
Rex- I realize you and I are probably the only two college football fans on the forum, so everyone else can ignore this post.
What is your honest opinion about chances the state of Alabama might have its second Heisman winner and National College Football Champion in a row?

I'm a little biased:o, so I welcome another viewpoint.
 
Temps in the 30's? Try this on for size. Yesterday I decided to replace the alsternator on the wife's car. Silly thing had a bearing noise, and was driving her nuts. On the surface, it looked straight forward enough.
It's a 97 Geo Metro,,,poor bastard cousin of the Suzuki Swift.
Wanted an early start, and since she had picked it up Friday I figured I was safe. Opened the box and found no new reman alternator:eek:,,,,nope, We had somebody elses's core!:mad:
So off to Advance to get another. She takes my car (leaving me stranded, since the Ranger is still hurt) and comes back 2 hours later with the new part. 2 hours,:eek: yes, cuz they didn't have the right one locally, and had to get one from another location!:mad::mad: Ok, its lunchtime now, so after lunch I commenced the disassembly. Didn't take long to get the car jacked up and to unbolt the alternator, BUT then we had another problem. Can't get the alternator out of the engine compartment. :mad: A/C lines and the intake manifold block the upper exit. :mad:Front drive axle, exhaust and frame block the lower end!:mad: So now I had to disassemble the right front steering knuckle to remove the halfshaft! Must been put on by a gorilla cuz I had to jump up and down on a half inch breaker bar to get it loose!!:mad: Finally after prying the exhaust about 1/2 inch to the side, the alternator came out. Now to reverse the procedure! 2 hours later it was all back together, but not until I was fully steamed and had used every one of George Carlin's 7 words you cant say on T.V. several times over. :eek: The worst part of it was even my wifes tiny hands barely fit in a few spaces where bolts needed to be started by hand! :mad: Picture me, 6'2 and 190 lbs under the car, with her 5'4 125 lbs laying across the engine, both trying to get the damn bolts in!:eek::eek: Musta been a bunch of midgets building the damn thing!
Needless to say, I've done the same job on my car in less than an hour. The truck, even easier! Once we were done, I told her, this is the last *@!&^ japanese kitty car she will ever own, and when it dies, it dies!
The only good part was the fact that I didn't even notice when we got done (at 5 pm) that it was only 34 degrees inside the garage!:eek::rolleyes:
See, the temp thing is only a state of mind!!!:p
 
And besides that Karl you were really steamed if you were using George Carlin's 7 little words. Your blood pressure was high and that is what kept you warm plus all the hot air spewing those 7 little words. LOL LOL LOL Been there and done that more times than I would like to remember. Now what were we talkin bout.
 


Afternoon all
I have been in the Coffee Shop a couple times way back when,but then I am more of a lurker because I usually don’t say much. Do I Jeff??

Anyway this is for Rex. I think there could be a good game this New Years if Michigan State keeps its attitude right and as for Michigan,forget it.

That’s about it
Talk to you later
Duke
 
Didn't take long to get the car jacked up and to unbolt the alternator, BUT then we had another problem. Can't get the alternator out of the engine compartment. :mad: A/C lines and the intake manifold block the upper exit. :mad:Front drive axle, exhaust and frame block the lower end!:mad: So now I had to disassemble the right front steering knuckle to remove the halfshaft! Must been put on by a gorilla cuz I had to jump up and down on a half inch breaker bar to get it loose!!:mad: Finally after prying the exhaust about 1/2 inch to the side, the alternator came out. Now to reverse the procedure! 2 hours later it was all back together, but not until I was fully steamed and had used every one of George Carlin's 7 words you cant say on T.V. several times over. :eek: The worst part of it was even my wifes tiny hands barely fit in a few spaces where bolts needed to be started by hand! :mad: Picture me, 6'2 and 190 lbs under the car, with her 5'4 125 lbs laying across the engine, both trying to get the damn bolts in!:eek::eek: Musta been a bunch of midgets building the damn thing!
Karl, all you had to do was remove the one bolt holding the right engine mount in place, and jack up the engine. You would have had plenty of room to R&R the alternator :rolleyes:. I've done this many times.:p
 
Karl, all you had to do was remove the one bolt holding the right engine mount in place, and jack up the engine. You would have had plenty of room to R&R the alternator :rolleyes:. I've done this many times.:p

Now he says something!:rolleyes:

That's right Terry throw a whole heap of salt in his wounds then just rub it in!:eek:
 
good evening every one. been a while since I stopped by the coffee shop was crazy busy this summer with work and side work but getting back into the swing. even helping out a local hobby shop for a few weeks before Christmas. Hope all is well.

Drew
 
Did anybody here go to an ROTC school or go to college through the military?

Just something ive been thinking about for awhile. Ive always wanted to join the Military, and now that College is approaching, I think I can kill two birds with one stone. I spoke with a recruiter a couple of weeks ago, and its definetely something im interested in, but its his job to recruit people, and Id like to hear some first hand experience.

I know theres a couple Veterans in here, and if anyones willing to give me a run down of what I should expect if its something I wind up doing, Id really appreciate it.

I know if its something i decide to do ill probably see active duty, and im aware that its the hardest thing ill ever do, and i know the risks involved, but im just wondering if anyones done it before.

Hope im not hitting a nerve with the Military talk or breaking any rules, not sure if this falls under Politics.

Drew- Welcome Back.
 
Now he says something!:rolleyes:

That's right Terry throw a whole heap of salt in his wounds then just rub it in!:eek:
I have a mental picture of Karl running out to the garage, throwing open the hood of the car, and yelling "Crap!". Then banging his head on the hood of the car...:D
Chris, I didn't rub it in--Rubbing it in would be to tell him it would have only taken 20 minutes, and an 18mm socket, a 12mm socket, and a 14mm socket. Oh, and a 10mm socket for the electrical feed wire...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Terry: Do you remember GatorDave from the forums? He move to NC from Pensacola about a year ago. I have forgotten the town, but it is more in the mountains area...maybe near Cherokee. That reminds me: I need to try and connect with him again. We used to communicate quite often.
I remember seeing him posting on here, then he went away. Maybe they haven't discovered the internet yet where he is.
 
Did anybody here go to an ROTC school or go to college through the military?

Just something ive been thinking about for awhile. Ive always wanted to join the Military, and now that College is approaching, I think I can kill two birds with one stone. I spoke with a recruiter a couple of weeks ago, and its definetely something im interested in, but its his job to recruit people, and Id like to hear some first hand experience.

I know theres a couple Veterans in here, and if anyones willing to give me a run down of what I should expect if its something I wind up doing, Id really appreciate it.

I know if its something i decide to do ill probably see active duty, and im aware that its the hardest thing ill ever do, and i know the risks involved, but im just wondering if anyones done it before.

Hope im not hitting a nerve with the Military talk or breaking any rules, not sure if this falls under Politics.

Drew- Welcome Back.

I did 5 years, no Boot-Strap or other school program, just the Montgomery GI Bill for my degrees after I got out. Best thing I ever did, on both accounts. If you do enlist, I know it will seem like a ton of money at the time, but contribute the $100/month for the 12 months (or whatever it may be now) to get to use the MGIB program.
 


Good evening everyone.

Drew, does that mean you get an employee discount, or do you take your pay in trains?:D

Chris, step away from Farmville! I bet you can't!;)

Not much going on around here. I'm at work waiting for customers to show up. There isn't much action at night in the winter. Usually we're busier in the morning and afternoon. Most of our customers (men) don't leave the house after they get home for supper.

No modeling for a while for me. I've been too busy watching all of the Christmas movies I own. I have the rest of winter to be locked inside with my trains. Maybe after Christmas I'll get back at it. Some how I just don't have the motivation right now.

It's almost time to go home. Have a good night everyone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top