Coffee Shop XXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something unnerving about touching the brake pedal, and hearing the ABS system on my truck kick in...:eek:

True, but its better than hearing the tires sliding!!!:eek:

I love it in my car, but the Ranger doesn't have it. Sometimes I wish it did, as the rear end tends to hook to either one side or the other under braking in slick conditions. But I wouldnt give up the 4x4 for nothing when it gets over 3 inches of snow.
 
I've got a chevy tracker, and an all wheel drive ford 500. The tracker is tail happy even in 4wd, but the ford is steady as a rock. I like the tracker better because it has more ground clearance. That makes a difference here. If the haven't plowed yet the ford scrapes. That and it is just a gizmo machine like automatic braking, power door locks that turn the lights on and off too. It has traction control too, which really makes it boring cause it won't let you drift, where I drift the tracker all the time.:D
 


Sliding in the snow? My parents have a GMC Sierra and a Honda Pilot, so not much slipping in their personal cars, but my dad has a fleet of company trucks that need to be pulled out about once in awhile when it gets slick. My dads trucks range from halfton pickups and vans to Boxtrucks, all loaded with tools and supplies, so you can imagine the dont stop well or go up hilly driveways that great :rolleyes: One of the reason my dad got the big engine in his truck is to help pull out his employees :D My favorite was when the forklift got stuck outside the shop, they pulled it out with a boxtruck and I watched it whip right around :D :D
 
Good evening everyone.

I want to thank you all for you sympathies and words of encouragement. This has been a tough couple of days with more questions than answers. We'll see what the future holds.

On a lighter note, we had Christmas with my Father. My best gift was a Daisy Red Rider BB gun! My family knows that A Christmas Story is one of my favorites. Last year I received the leg lamp(it's a major award;)). I jokingly mentioned that all I needed was the BB gun. Well, my Father thought that would be a great present. Funny thing is, it's a real BB gun! I've never owned my own BB gun! I may need to take that baby out for a spin this spring. I'll just have to make sure I don't shoot my eye out!:D

I'm stalled out on the layout. I'm wanting to start making roads but can't decide if I want to use styrene or plaster. Either way it's going to make a mess. I suppose I should wait until after Christmas to mess this thing up.

Edit: Speaking of snow, we got eight inches of snow Friday. Now we have highs in the teens. BRRRRR!

Have a good night folks.
 
Do you guys think that fast tracks handlaid track is good ? Their cheaper price per turnout make it really appealing !
 
And now, long-range weather guessing calls for lows in the single digits by this time next week. This was DEFINITELY not in the brochure...

You would rather have hurricaines?? At least when your stuff freezes, it stays there. No so true with hurricaines!:rolleyes:
 


On a lighter note, we had Christmas with my Father. My best gift was a Daisy Red Rider BB gun! My family knows that A Christmas Story is one of my favorites. Last year I received the leg lamp(it's a major award;)). I jokingly mentioned that all I needed was the BB gun. Well, my Father thought that would be a great present. Funny thing is, it's a real BB gun! I've never owned my own BB gun! I may need to take that baby out for a spin this spring. I'll just have to make sure I don't shoot my eye out!:D

Thats how I got my first BB gun too, although i was alot younger :D

I wanted a BB gun all christmas season, just like in the movie, and i didnt get one, or so i thought. My father thought itd be funny to hide it in the closet, and wait until I had opened all my presents over the course of 2 days at 3 different houses (moms parents Christmas Eve, home Christmas morning, Grandmas Christmas afternoon), and then give it to me right before i fell asleep. Not quite the same as in the movie where hiding it behind the couch where it might be seen, there wasnt a chance i would see it through the closet door :rolleyes:.

Dont bother waiting til spring! :eek:
Eee Gads man, grab an extra piece of insulation foam, some duct tape, a sharpie and head to the basement/garage! :D
 
Funny thing about the bb gun.

When I was a kid, a bunch of my friends had bb guns. I asked my Dad for one. He said "no, but I'll buy you a .22 rifle." I was confused. I said " let me get this straight. You'll buy me a rifle but not a bb gun?" He said " I know you won't shoot the rifle in the back yard." He seemed to know what my friends did with these bb guns!:D

I still think it's funny that he finally bought me one after all these years.
 
I'd rather have snow too. At least we don't end up with heat in the 90s or 100s. I like snow anyway. My neighbor has a big snowblower that he likes to run. 20 bucks and my snow problem disappears, literally. :D Then I get to play with my boys building snow forts. Plus I get to play with my trains even more! I like the cold weather too. No mud on the farm, so I can drive anywhere without getting stuck. Even the creek freezes up. It's supposed to get down to 17 tonight, with a wind chill much lower.
 
:eek::eek: I prefer my snowsqualls to those hurricanes!!!:eek::eek:

Barry

We don't worry about those too much here in north central Al. The last time a hurricane hit the coast, and could still be classified as a hurricane by the time it got to us, was Opal, which was the mid '90s, IIRC, and it was barely a Cat 1. We still just got a bunch of rain out of it, and I don't remember there being very much wind damage here. We had more damage out of a derecho in 2000. Opal had winds here of 75mph, while the derecho had winds of 95-100mph. It only lasted about 3 minutes however.

Hey Carey! How about ordering that motor from Grainger: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-bk8Z1z0r596/No-32/Ntt-gearmotor
Not sure if you want to pay this, but it is the motor I use in my CMR TT.
Dayton (2L004), 1.5rpm, 12 VDC, $61.00

Take a look.

I did take a look at it Rex, but it won't work very easily. The hole for the drive shaft is located such that the end of the Hankscraft motor fits into it. It keeps the motor shaft perfectly aligned with the TT bearings. Plus the Hankscraft is only $25. I think the reason the original motor destroyed itself was dried out grease. This motor was inactive, screwed into the bottom of the TT for about 7 years.
Since I will have two more TT's on the layout, one's that SSLtd kit I mentioned earlier, I may look into one for the TT that I already have a pit and bearings for, but not a decent motor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top