Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Mornin' everyone!

Steve hope everything works out well for your wife! That time between having a test and getting the results can seem like forever.

Jim, Fetridge's Law reads, "Nothing ever happens until it is no longer favorable to happen". It's why that knock in your car's engine goes away as soon as you drive into the repair shop. It also explains why you can go months without a derailment and then a friend shows up to see the layout......

Ken looks like you are having a great time! Run a consist at Jim's house for me.

I have a bunch of odds and ends that I have to get done for the demo tomorrow at the LHS. Better get at them.
 
Steve, I'm keeping my fingers crossed too. I know it must be a tough time waiting for both of you. Your apples sure look good.

Mikey, there probably are a few bidders on e-bay who would punch the winning bidder in the jaw if they could. :)

Tom, I hope you get some free time this weekend. You need a break.

Ken, drive safe and I'll see you later today.

Ray, I'll have to remember Fetridge's Law since I seem to be a victim of it so frequently. :D I'm glad you have a LHS to do a demo. The closest one to me is about 75 miles. :mad:

Beautiful day here in the Heart of Dixie with reasonable humidity and not too hot temperatures. We'll fool Ken into thinking it's like this all the time. Everyone in the Souteast, Florida, and up through the Carolinas need to keep an eye on the weather over the next five days. There's a developing tropical storm near Puerto Rico that has some potential to become into a major hurricane if conditions are right. It's too weak right now for the models to get a handle on it but about 1/3 of them want to take into south Florida as a Cat 3 hurricane, 1/3 want to take up the coast and into the Carolinas as a weaker hurricane, and the rest want to take it over Cuba and then redevelop it into a Cat 2 or 3 hurricane in the Gulf. It's one of those situations where nothing and everything could happen so it bears watching.
 
Just disengaged myself from another forum, the members turned nasty on a new modeler simply because his work was not up to scratch, totally unacceptable so i quit
 


Just disengaged myself from another forum, the members turned nasty on a new modeler simply because his work was not up to scratch, totally unacceptable so i quit
I hate that! Somebody's doing the best they can and a group of 'experts' slam him into the ground. That NEVER happens on my forum.
 
Just disengaged myself from another forum, the members turned nasty on a new modeler simply because his work was not up to scratch, totally unacceptable so i quit

Steve- beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
I have repainted a couple of early projects that were as good as I could do when originally built. Now, they no longer meet MY standards.

I'm still a lot better critic than craftsman.:D

My personal home layout suffers due to my efforts for our club layout, which gets public display annually. I'll use the experiences gained on the club layout to do a better job on the home layout.

But, I always enjoy viewing other modelers efforts for their ideas and thinking about how I could do a similar project. A lot of things I can admire and realize I don't want to attempt for various reasons.

Constructive review is welcome and how we learn things. Destructive criticism is simply one person trying to cover his own shortcomings. IMHO!

Sorry for getting on my soapbox to preach to the choir.
Have a model weekend!!
 
Hey Mikey, you are in the Wrecking Crew club aren't you? When KenL was at the McWane Center I told him to find the club's layout. He went up there and said there was nothing but a small N scale and just some misc. around. I thought the club allowed viewing year round.:confused:

Guess Jim's worn out from his VIP visit:D .

Steve, crossing my fingers for your wife's test.;)

I hate the X-purts in this hobby :mad: . Rather than to help, it seems that so many of them only want to have an intellectual duel based on what they have read or seen, instead of on the expertise gained from there own work. I like the known experts that keep there mouths shut until you ask them for advice. When they give the advice, it is first hand knowledge that is not out of a book, but from their own experience. IMHO:cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
08-16-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 75, cloudy and raining here in the Sportsman's Paradise. The high is expected to be in the upper 80's with, you guessed it, more rain.

Yesterday I went to mow my parents yard and had to stop just after I started. One of the blades hit a big root and got bent to about 20 or 25 degrees which did a pretty good job of digging up the ground but wasn't any good for cutting grass. Had to go to Lowe's to get a new one. Now you know they just won't sell you one blade. You have to buy the set. So now I have a couple of spares. Getting the blade was what took the longest. Taking the bent one off and putting the new one on took only 15 minutes. I finally got their big yard cut, finishing 4 hours after I started. I got a little computer time after that then had to get ready to go out to dinner with my sister and my parents. Yesterday was my sister's 53rd birthday so it was a special occasion. She didn't want any special cake or anything that would call undue attention. Well, she got torpedoed on that. Her birthday cake was 24 cupcakes with 53 candles.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/16/2008


Heat Index: 80°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today

High: 75°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.23"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SSE

Now through 06:00 AM CDT August 16, 2008

Through 6 AM...widespread showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop across much of southeast Texas and central and southern Louisiana...as well as the coastal waters out to 60 nm. Occasional lightning strikes...gusty winds to 25 mph...and rainfall amounts up to one inch are possible as this activity moves off to the northeast at 10 mph.

Today High: 88 Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent in the morning increasing to 60 percent in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 70 Mostly cloudy. A 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the evening...then a 60 percent chance in the late evening and overnight. Lows around 70. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010073-1.jpg
 
Good Morning From Soggy Florida!

WEATHER
Tropical Storm Fay Forms Over Dominican Republic
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1
"All Hail Fay!":D LOL's

Todays Forcast
8 AM 79 °F Partly Cloudy Mostly cloudy with a few coastal showers.
2 PM 86 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Scattered showers and storms.
10 PM 80 °F Partly Cloudy Mostly cloudy


LOCAL NEWS
Water advisory issued for Rogers Park Beach
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE
Any one Miss me?LOL's I've been working my butt off in the parks! The soccer and winter baseball leauges are ramping up, so are we. Now we have a Fay planing to hit us MAY BE? Lucky for me I picked this week to take a week off from work uh? I hope I don't get called in, My wife has already been told to get her kit and be ready to report to her assigned Shelter. Lucky for her the shelter is Ryans BRAND NEW SCHOOL 1 mile away! This school just got built:eek: what a test! My wife works the shelters and I hand out the MRE's and Water! The government did away with the ice..........so one less thing to hand out! I'm getting ready now to head out to mow some lawns today. If I don't get called in and the Fey goes beyound Cat2 might make some Extra $scratch$ boarding windows!:) then cleaning up some after storm debris........Hmmmmmm Might rent a chipper for this weekend if a Cat2-3 happens? More than likely my phone will rings some time monday!:mad: O'well...............................
 


A cool Calif Morning!

Good morning to all and hope everything is going along well for evryone.

I see from the weather report that you folks in NY are yet getting soaked, but tomorrow is a day of let-up then more rain.

Just had a great idea, Collect it, Freeze it & Sell it, you'll make a mint off the profit!!

Of coures another way to look at it is your water bill should be reduced considerably by not having to water the yard and bushes etc.

I'll have some eggs baccon and cottage cheese & coffee, thanks

Have a good day!
 
Mornin' everyone!

Chris hope you and yours stay safe from Fay.

David don't know what weather map your reading but NY is bright and sunny today with the exception of a small area way up near Watertown. They are predicting a few clouds but mostly sunny for the Finger Lakes high around 74°F. Currently 70° in Geneva. Hopefully another day without the air conditioner running! Tomorrow is a different story with a high of 80°F. The house will get shut down when I get up tomorrow and I will have the air conditioner running by afternoon.

I am off to the LHS to do a clinic/demo on soldering.

Hope all of you have a great day!
 
Good Morming Fellas ! From Sunny Western New York , Yesterday news had a bad day here . The new puppy is doing well and adjusting to his new home real well and being spoiled rotten . But he went to the vet yesterday and that is when the trouble started . Not with Buddy , he was fine. My wife's good friend was there with her dog and he had just died . she was her companion for 7 years and was helping her cope with a bad divorce. Well her dog was at our house last Saturday and was fine. By moday the dog was sick and had to have a blood transfusion and had come down with a auto-immune disease. And by Friday she was dead. My wife's friend is devastated and my wife is with her now. I know it means little in the big picture of tragedies. but it still hurt her . Well enough Steve I hope your wife's heart problems get sovled real quick . Those apples sure look good , can't wait till ours come out next month . But for now I'll take our peaches . Rex the Buffalo Bills just played an exibition game up in Toroto, Canada non Thursday and there was a lot of empty saets in the stands . The cheapest seats were $150.00 and I heard that at game time the scaplers were trying to sell seats at $10.00 . Any smart football fan is not going to lay down good money to watch a bunch of rookies and has beens running around . Jim I wish your daughters best of luck this school year . My daughter is heading back also so looks like I have to get up in the mornings to make sure she gets up ! Chris I'm with Ray and hope that Fay doesen't head your way . Here's hoping that all of you have a wonderful day !!!!!!!!!! Ray i'm jealous I use to have a nice crabapple in my yard but a bunch of pines killed it off. They sure look pretty in the spring . Might have to plant another .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon all
Got some bargains today from a local railway show, number one bargain was a Westland Helicopters airfield control tower and office block, £4, No two was a Diner on the style of McDonalds, it will be once painted £2 !!!, also got a two bay fire Engine garage for £10 so all in all a very good day.

Paul Thats a terrible thing to happen with her pet, sorry to hear that.
 
Afternoon all!

Steve it looks like you hit some pay-dirt at that train show, esp. the McDonald's - those things fetch a premium whenever they appear on eBay!

Paul, that's mighty sad about your wife's friend's dog - just doesn't seem fair!

Chris - hope Fay doesn't affect your family other than some temporary inconvenience!

I made my third visit to an Alabama forum member yesterday: Jim (UP2CSX). He and Diana were gracious hosts, as has been the case with everybody I've visited here! I've gotta say, I was quite amazed at Jim's layout. Even though it isn't huge, it is packed with detail; I snapped about a dozen shots of it yesterday. I left copies of the image files with Jim, hopefully he'll share some of them on the forum. They didn't all turn out as I'd hoped - I hadn't done layout photography in several months so I couldn't remember the optimum depth-of-field settings.

Tomorrow's my last day here in 'Bama, I'm kinda depressed now that all the visits are over. Perhaps I'll go to some of the NS railfanning sites...
 
hey!

WEATEHR
Current Conditions are:
Dewpoint: 75.2°F (24.0°C)
Heat Index:85°F (29.4°C)
Humidity:89%
Wind:Calm
It's just to dang hot outside, the humidity:( bad.........Need rain!

LOCAL NEWS
Crist declares state of emergency
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Military museum opens in Largo
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE
My Son and I got the Lawn accounts done quick to day. Came home to find out my wifes car won't start?:confused: It ran this morning when I moved it but now it cranks but doesn't seem to be getting fuel? My FIL thinks it's the Fuel pump. I checked the plugs and they seem to be good......He might be right, I'll look to see if I can get to it. Hoping I don't have to drop the fuel tank to get to it:rolleyes: I'm not set up for that!!!! either way fuel pump is around $375 with harness not including labor!:eek: Man, I just can't catch a break:mad: ! It will have to wait for a couple of weeks until I get the cash up, My In Laws got a car we can barrow until then.....

I'm not to worried about Fay, cats 1 & 2 ain't that bad... it's the 3 and 4's that level thing:rolleyes: . I been(30 years worth) through so many cat 1 and 2 hurricans it's like old news:rolleyes: just deal with it. Now if it goes Cat 3 or better, I'm moving next door to either Rex or Jim;) Remember live in Hernando County so if the weather man say's, "Hernando? What Hernando? Ohhhh That Hernando!........Hernando has been blow out of the state........" START PRAYING!:) ;) I'll keep you guys in formed on the weather.....Heck I'll get you some pic's too;) :rolleyes:


EDIT: ALCOMOTIVE lives in my county too(30 miles inland)! May be, I should stand outside his train room with my Base ball Glove to catch his trains for him as they fly out!LOL's Hope his things are in order!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ken sounds like you have had a great time with the Bama crowd! Next summer come up to the North and you can get some tours here in the Finger lakes and do a couple of wine trails as well. (Don't try any model making after the wine trail though...........)

Chris looks like your drought may be over in a few days...... Doesn't look like Fay should turn out to be too bad for you folks. I have relatives due East from where you live in the land of big bugs, so I watch the storms as they develop as well.

The demo/clinic went very well this afternoon. Didn't have a lot of people but a couple of very experienced hobbyists came over and watch as I showed them some soldering tricks. Many said, "How'd you do that so fast!" then checked out the work, grinned and said "Wow, I just learned something". So I think it was a success. The store owner was one who was checking out my work. He asked if he could have some spare sheets of my directions to give out to people who ask about soldering. Watched a gentleman who put on the morning session do some weathering of cars and diseasals..... Excellent work! Rivals Aggro across the street. He is a member of a local Freemo Club here in Geneva (Spin off of the RIT Club). Good to meet people with some great skills locally.

This evening I went to visit my old Scout Troop who were camping nearby (I am their Commissioner so I used it as an official visit) Had a foil dinner cooked in the campfire and a lot of great conversation. Since I had my laptop with me, I decided to show the Scouts the slide show of my layout that I put together for the demo/clinic. (Just happened to have it with me you know and didn't want to leave it in the car, so I just happened to have it me.......);) ;) So now I think I have 3 or 4 Scouts wanting to do Railroading MB this fall from the Troop........

(edit) Paul, I meant to say how sad that is with your friend's dog. To have that happen now has got to be devastating. I hope they are doing an autopsy to find out just what did happen. Sounds like it may have gotten into some poison of some kind......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WEATEHR
Current Conditions are:
Dewpoint: 75.2°F (24.0°C)
Heat Index:85°F (29.4°C)
Humidity:89%
Wind:Calm
It's just to dang hot outside, the humidity:( bad.........Need rain!

LOCAL NEWS
Crist declares state of emergency
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Military museum opens in Largo
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE
My Son and I got the Lawn accounts done quick to day. Came home to find out my wifes car won't start?:confused: It ran this morning when I moved it but now it cranks but doesn't seem to be getting fuel? My FIL thinks it's the Fuel pump. I checked the plugs and they seem to be good......He might be right, I'll look to see if I can get to it. Hoping I don't have to drop the fuel tank to get to it:rolleyes: I'm not set up for that!!!! either way fuel pump is around $375 with harness not including labor!:eek: Man, I just can't catch a break:mad: ! It will have to wait for a couple of weeks until I get the cash up, My In Laws got a car we can barrow until then.....

I'm not to worried about Fay, cats 1 & 2 ain't that bad... it's the 3 and 4's that level thing:rolleyes: . I been(30 years worth) through so many cat 1 and 2 hurricans it's like old news:rolleyes: just deal with it. Now if it goes Cat 3 or better, I'm moving next door to either Rex or Jim;) Remember live in Hernando County so if the weather man say's, "Hernando? What Hernando? Ohhhh That Hernando!........Hernando has been blow out of the state........" START PRAYING!:) ;) I'll keep you guys in formed on the weather.....Heck I'll get you some pic's too;) :rolleyes:


EDIT: ALCOMOTIVE lives in my county too(30 miles inland)! May be, I should stand outside his train room with my Base ball Glove to catch his trains for him as they fly out!LOL's Hope his things are in order!

I have been very lucky the last 10 years...me living in Manatee County on the "mouth" Manatee River that flows in and out of the Gulf can be a little scary at times. Lucky for us when we got this house I made sure we were in a High elevation compared to the rest of the area and that we are in a block house. Only thing that worries me now is that I have not yet upgraded my roof yet which is in the works for next spring for hurricane strap systems on the trusses. My windows are done. We shall see what Fay brings probrably just rains. We will be ready when she comes I think. Cat 4...I am out of here. I will head inland towards Larry by Arcadia...Myakka or if it is cat 5 we can just kiss our arse goodbye....
 


Chris looks like your drought may be over in a few days...... Doesn't look like Fay should turn out to be too bad for you folks. I have relatives due East from where you live in the land of big bugs, so I watch the storms as they develop as well.


Land of Big Bugs! LOL's

You haven't lived until you slaped a saddle on and put a full 8 sec. on a Florida Palmetto Bug! Also our skeeters have been know to carry off small children! But of course to take out such big bugs you need large spiders and lizards as well, We got those too:rolleyes: My State is fun:D never a dull moment....."When it's trying to kill you!:eek: ":rolleyes: :D :p

EDIT: sorry alcomotive? I thought you lived in hernando? Hmmmmmmm, thougt some one here lives around the eastern hernando county area? any ways The Drive by media is having afield day with this hurry can! They will forcast it being the end of the world thing and when it makes land all It will be lucky to make a Cat 1!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top