Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Heeeeeeyyyyyyy Steve! Hope you are planning to pack and ship everything but the scrap pile to NZ when you move.

BTW, Have you heard anything on your wife's test? Been thing about all of you........
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Was gone this weekend on a church retreat so I haven't had time to read all the messages. Ken L and I had a great visit. He took some nice pictures of my little layout and I fed him some southern barbecue. Ken, I hope you got home safe and you're recovered from the trip. I'm attaching a picture of Ken and me standing in front of my dinky layout. :)

Steve, are you tearing apart your layout in anticipation of your move? I'm sure we'd all like to hear the results of your wife's test when you have it too - I've been praying everything will test OK.

TS Fay has just past Key West and is still kind of a mystery. She could stay a tropical storm, strengthen to a category 1 hurricane, or just die inland over Georgia. The models are still all over the place with landfall being everywhere from eastern Alabama to around Naples. Some models have her coming ashore near Tampa, going across the state, making a loop, and then ejecting back into the Gulf and heading toward Louisiana. I'm kind of in agreement with Chris that she will be a minimal cat 1 and come ashore around Marcos Bay and then travel up Florida to Georgia and become a remnant low. Fay has been a really hard storm to get a handle on, though, so it's still a crap-shoot. the good thing the Total Tropical Cyclone Energy potential in the Gulf isn't very high. Even though the surface temperatures are very warm, the temperatures at 200 feet are around 74. If Fay slows her forward movement, which I think is likely, that means she'll cause a lot of upwelling, bringing the cooler water to the surface and limiting how intense she can get. This will not be a Charley type of hurricane, with very rapid intensification. All we can do is keep an eye on things and see what happens. If she follow the path inland to Georgia, she will be a big rainmaker all the way through Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York, so you guy up there need to follow the forecasts closely over the next five days.
 
Ola, from soaked Florida!

WEATHER
Warning tracker has just gone up: http://tropics.myfoxtampabay.com/severe/index.php?siteID=1018&load=waw
I'm in spring hill, just as I predicted. Spring hill will be spared, and all we should get is heavy rain and strong winds!

The storm is taking the track I mentioned before...... Dang, I'm good! Alcomotive and Larry is the target areas, I'm heading down there with my net! free trains!:D ;) Just kidding guys, I'm praying for ya!

Heres the local radar images!
http://tropics.myfoxtampabay.com/severe/index.php?siteID=1018&load=rdr

LOCAL NEWS
Fay heads north
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...=32&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

PERSONAL NOTE

My sons first day back at school went as usual, "Messed up!" The school system here SUX's!:mad: any ways, we are starting to get heavy rain and some light winds. My sons school has closed for tomarrow, and no shelters have been opened in my county yet....Thats a good sign!:) We should get some good soaking rain and lots of wind!!!! Good day to make a big pot of chili for eating:p I'll keep you posted......:rolleyes: :D
 


Evening gents, yes, everything is being packed away for the move, whenever that happens, got to sell the house BUT thats were the problems start with the credit crunch which has a severe strangle hold on things. Not sure when the wifes going back to the clinic yet, should be this month but who knows.

Jim, Ken Great picture :)
 
Good evening y'all

Just drove in from Alabama, 14 hours total travel time. This time we avoided a lot of the mistakes that caused the MD-to-AL drive to take 17 hours! Still mighty exhausted though, and I'm expected at the office bright and early tomorrow - so I need to get some shut-eye.

Jim - I see you got the mug shot posted ;) I'll be doing a separate thread about the 'Bama trip within the next few days, plenty of additional pics. I just need some time to decompress first...

Chris and you other FL guys, be careful with Fay - your in my thoughts!

Steve - I didn't realize you guys across the pond were also having a credit crunch! Hope you get lucky and sell the place soon...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all! Glad to see you made it home safely, Ken.

Chris, I'm sending a gaggle of BC&W tank cars down for you to put some excess rain water in. Please ship them back your soonest. (Then maybe I should send the tanker Exxon Valdez, hmmm!:D)

Mikey: Thanks for the info. I sure wish the Wrecking Crew were still located in Bessemer. It would make it easy for me to get there.

Jim: Contrary to the exercise commercial or what she said, size doesn't matter in MR...but quality does. Your photos in the WPF sure proves the passing grade for quality. ;)

Paul: Glad to see you and your new buddy having fun together. My little ones are about to wear me out. :D

Steve: Cheers!
 
Ken When the sh1t hits the fan over there it follows here very soon afterwards, they keep saying it's not as bad as the 1990's but it's going to be worse, the UK and the world has never seen anything like this before, and the truth is no-one knows just how bad it is going to get, we are not at the bottom of the slippery slope yet!!

A Week off work and it's persisting down with lots of very wet stuff, was going to the zoo but stuff that in this weather.
 
08-19-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

It's 75 and clear, though not for long. The high is expected to be in the mid 80's and thunderstorms are likely.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/19/2008

Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 71°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 75°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph NNE

Now through 07:15 AM CDT August 19, 2008

Areas of rain and showers mixed continues to fall across southeast Texas...southwest Louisiana and the adjacent coastal waters this morning. This area of rain is moving towards the northeast.

Today High: 85 Showers and thunderstorms likely. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Showers and thunderstorms likely. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P1010041.jpg
 


Good morning from Florida and Fay!

WEATHER
8 AM 76 °F Windy Windy and wet.
2 PM 85 °F Windy Windy and wet, especially inland.
10 PM 78 °F Windy Windy with occasional squalls.

Fay made landfall near Marco Island
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...=54&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

LOCAL NEWS
Fay brings soaking rain and gusty winds
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Campaign For 55MPH Speed Limit Renewed
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

PERSONAL NOTE

"Flo, I'll have the rainy day special!"

Well, Fays here and like I figured.......Punk storm! The weather man said Hernando, Citrus, and some northern countys MIGHT not get much in the way of rain! Fay is just a bad weather front blowing through!

REX no need to send any tank cars. Larry or Alcomotive should have a few already filled up and ready to go! Instead, I'll send you a few hoppers of beach sand you can put your toes in and dump the rest in you pants give you the true, "I've been to the beach feel!" I got some rain last night, but i have a bad feeling that's all i'll get from fay............


JIM You know I haven't seen many pic's for your layout! How about posting a few new pic's for me! Also where's the Beer? you and Ken had no beers!:eek: My train room has a one beer min. before running trains!;) :rolleyes: :D

STEVE Does Typhoons affect NZ?:confused: I want to know the cost of shipping that heavy tank to NZ! that by itself should be half your $$$ in shipping:D
 
NZ has just had a right battering from tropical storms, lots of flooding and damage as well. Were hoping to get everything into a 20ft container but it may grow to 40ft yet which is £2000 more
 
Good morning folks

It was 74 F and getting sticky. High today will be 89 F.

Once again I am having one of those mornings. I got this morning after being in the field all day yesterday to find out that I have to go to another field meeting this afternoon. This meeting is to discuss the relocation of one the state bike routes in Chester County. The fun never stops.

In football my son made varsity for the time being. He may have also worked his way into starting center. He is not thrilled about playing center. The coaches seemed to be granting his wish but the other boys they tried at the position did not seem to be working out. He wants to play defense. He has been the center three out of the last four years, so this would be his fourth if it goes that way.

No modeling last night. I keep looking at the layout wondering when I will get back to it.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
NZ has just had a right battering from tropical storms, lots of flooding and damage as well. Were hoping to get everything into a 20ft container but it may grow to 40ft yet which is £2000 more

£2000 more:eek: Not sure what that ='s to in US $$ but that don't sound Cheap!:eek: the new job Must mean twice the $$$$$ for such and costly move! I hope you love NZ more than the UK....

We're seeing more people from other countries moving to Florida everyday! It's refreshing to see people that actually enjoy Florida more than other US born people!!:D We get nubee's from other parts of the states(most of them hate it) and they totaly curse the move!:confused: but Nubee's from other countries conform to the Florida life style Faster more easy!:confused: two of my lawn accounts are not US born! They are of a totaly diffrent mind set:) :) :) Good luck Steve, OBTW Is the health care going to be same or better for you wife and your family in NZ?
 
Morning, everyone.

Steve, I've read Chris Martenson's stuff before. He has some good basic things on understanding today's economy but he tends to go overboard on the gloom and doom side. His views on "peak oil" are just plain wrong, as the recent plunge in oil and other commodity prices have shown. I'm much more concerned about the current credit crunch and the effect on the health of banks. I expect we'll have a major bank failure in the next two months and the Fed will have to take over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to keep them afloat. I'm a lot more concerned about a deflationary cycle developing than the inflation that seems to be heading the news now. Real estate is a good example of the start of a deflationary cycle.

I don't know how bad the typhoons get in NZ but we had a pretty good one in the Cook Islands, about 800 miles north of NZ. I think NZ tends to get more bad storms from the Antarctic regions because they are closer to South Pole but they can be pretty wild too.

Ken, glad you're home safe and sound. I'm glad you had fun down here but you must be bushed.

Rex, thanks, if I could build a layout like yours and detail it like mine, I'd be in heaven...literally, since I'd probably be dead before I got it all done. :)

Jeffrey, I wish your thunderstorms would start moving over our way, we haven't had any rain in a week and it's getting hot again.

Tom, I had to play center for one season and hated it too so I know how your son feels. Amazing how much time and money we spend on bike lanes now for the five or six people a day who seem to use them.

Chris, you should at least get enough rain to get those lawns growing again. Fay should stall over North Florida for a day or two and dump some rain on you for the back side. No beer in my train room, unfortunately. One of the things that sets of my Meniere's attacks is alcohol and I don't think Ken would have wanted to watch me flat on my face on the floor, throwing up. :eek: I got my wife a much better camera than the one I've been using so I'm got to do some more layout shots. They still won't be as good as Ken's though. It's not just cameras, it that creative eye, and Ken really has one.

Sunny and warm in Alabama today with the temperature already up to 87. Fay has been a good girl so far, dumping between 3 and 6 inches of rain over south Florida, which needed the rain even more than us. The worst winds were in Key West at 60 mph, so Fay never quite made it to hurricane strength. The computer models are still having a hard time with Fay, which is unusual for a weak tropical storm that's already on land. One set of models wants to bring her to north Florida, stall for two days as a high pressure ridge develops over the east coast, and then turn the remnant low west into Georgia and north. Another set wants to send Fay back over the Atlantic for a day or so, have it recross north Florida and then back into the Gulf as a tropical storm, with landfall somewhere between the Florida Panhandle all the way over to Louisiana. A third set wants to have Fay hang a left from Georgia and then go into Alabama. The only thing the models agree on is that Fay won't be making much forward progress for the next three days. I suspect we'll still be talking about Fay on Sunday at this rate.
 
Afternoon everyone!

I had one of those toss and turn sleepless nights last night. Last time I looked at the clock it was 5:45 AM. I did then get a few hours of much needed sleep until one of my cats woke me for some attention at 9:45. Part of the problem is that I have a monstrous amount of work that I need to do this week and a lot of loose ends to tie up.

To all of you in the South in Fay's line of sight, I hope that you get the needed rainfall from her and not much worse! Stay safe.
 
Jim and Ken- nice picture!

But I think the layout looked better than the two guys.
IMHO!!!!
You are just lucky I wasn't there, I would have broken the camera.:D
 


Afternoon Everyone !!!! been running around a bit this morning so just made it in here . Flo big order gor lunch . !/2 cheeseburger with double onion and relish with a sider order of curly fries .Went to the farmer's market and got . peaches , tomatoes, potatoes, peppers , onions. cabbage , and big chunck of swiss cheese. I just love the market this time of summer. Chris hope you and everyone else in Florida don't get hit too hard. Steve hope you and your family make the move to New Zealand a smooth one . Well have to see what Buddy is getting in too so I hope you all have a good day ! Tom I played football in High School and some in College at Linebacker and guard and just want to say I wish I would have stuck with baseball and non contact sports . That being said I wish your son all the best in football it's a lot of fun. Take care all !!!!! Jim and Ken you look like a couple of guys having fun !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top