Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim i never read his stuff on peak oil, but your right about a big bank going to the wall, it has to happen soon, very soon. hopefully it won't happen as it could have very serious repercussions on a worldwide scale, which would play havoc with our move,,,
Sorry Flo but i are at the Chippy down the road, we had battered pineapple fritters with syrup drizzled all over, with potato chips,,,, LOL they were VERY tasty,, oh yes the boys had a battered fried chocolate mars bar as a treat !!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Afternoon everyone! Nice to see so many in here. Flo, just a cold glass of lemonade. I just got finished with some very hot yard work.

JIM:...if I could build a layout like yours and detail it like mine...
Ha, if I did that, I would be divorced, totally broke, and couldn't pay the bill to turn on the power. (oh that would be so nice to do, though:( )

Steve: The wait you are having for your move would drive me nuts. I would be so excited that I couldn't concentrate on anything. Heck, I am excited for you just reading your posts.:)

Ray: Ever have one of those nights where you think you are awake, but wake up and realize you were asleep? That is the worst!

Mikey: The picture taken of Ken and Jim was the last of the series...the camera is now in the shop:eek: .

Paul: Nothing like a trip to a Farmer's Market. All the beautiful fruits and veggies in their best color...the fresh smell. Say hello to Buddy:D .

Chris: I welcome the shipment of beach sand. Looks like that will be as close as I get for awhile. Don't forget the beach bunnies...oops, better not do that:D .
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Fay up dates:

Weather up date:
Sigh of relief as Fay fizzles
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

I still haven't got any rain over the house since last night! actully the weather over my house is on and of overcast with brief gusts around 15mph. but other than that you would know we're getting hit by a TS Fay! some areas in my county has got little rain from this system. Fay is not due west of me yet, and by the looks of the radar we might get some thing later on tonight? and May be not? this is one wierd storm:confused:

I heard a few countys south of us had a couple of tornados touch down but I haven't heard a damage report yet!

EDIT: as of 8pm we only got some lite rain with gusts up to 15mph. the rain bands seems to break up just as they hit my county. I hope to get more rain from Fay, or I will demand my money back!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of nights ago there were two. Last night there were two as well. Tonight....... How about five beautiful Night Cereus flowers. You should smell the house. It must be a happy plant to have 9 blossoms in about 4 days, and there are two more that should open tomorrow as well.

Here are some blooms from the last two days.

NightBloomCereus01w.png


A side view.

NightBloomCereus02w.png


And one of this ugly old plant with such wonderful blooms. if you look carefully you can see 4 of the 5 blooms that are open now along with the remains of the two that bloomed last night. There are also the buds that should open tomorrow and a couple that didn't make it. Many years it will have 25 or 30 buds and only a couple flowers.

NightBloomCereus06w.png


Hope you Florida people are weathering the storm! Everyone except me in here seems to have gone into hiding...........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, very nice looking flowers from such a ratty looking plant. How old is it?

Chris, Fay is entraining some dry air from us on the west side of the storm, which is why you're getting so little rain. That may change if she gets back out into the Atlantic and then does a hard left back onshore near the Cape. She is an oddball storm. All the thunderstorm complexes from the Ark-La-Tex area that were moving east this morning are now moving west so the influence of Fay is already being felt up here. I think she is a potential troublemaker for the Panhandle and Alabama over the weekend.

Rex, all you have to do is win a lottery (valid in all states BUT Alabama) and get a bunch of us Bama Gang members up there to help you and we could have it sceniced in nothing flat. Probably wouldn't cost more than $100K for materials and living expenses. :)

Steve, I hope I'm wrong about the big bank failure but I fear I'm not. The one most likely to go down the tubes is Citigroup, and that would be a real disaster. When I was selling my house in California in 2005, at the beginning of the collapse, I lowered the price of my house by $5,000 below the price of any other comparable house in town and kept lowering it every month until I got an offer. It "cost" me almost $50,000 in blue sky money to do this but those same houses are selling for $200,000 less now than three years ago so I really made $150,000 compared to sitting there trying to get a price that was never going to happen anyway. Something to think about as you try to sell your house.

Jeffrey, it looks like Fay is developing enough circulation that it's pushing the storms back toward you. The central pressure in Fay is about 29.16 inches so the weak high pressure between it and us is being filled with lower pressure and the storm complex can't move any further east.

Paul, Ken and I did have a bit of fun. :) Sound wonderful at the farmer's market. Ours has been really bad this year as the drought has once again cut down the supply of fresh fruits and vegetables. There's hardly an ear of local corn to be found since the drought and heat burned up most of the plants. :(

It's a clear and warm night here in the Heart of Dixie, with a temperature of 79 right now. No sign of any big changes yet but it will be an interesting week.
 
good morning from florida

WEATHER

8 AM 77 °F Windy Mostly cloudy with showers inland. Still a bit breezy.
2 PM 85 °F Windy Variable clouds with scattered showers.
10 PM 79 °F Windy Mostly cloudy with scattered showers.


LOCAL NEWS

Winds toss kite surfer into building
South Florida man is learning a tough lesson: why you don't play with Mother Nature.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

Time to lower the drinking age?
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1


PERSONAL NOTE:
"Flo, I want.......4 over easy eggs, double order of home fries, 6 slices of bacon, 2 big butter milk biscuts, large coffee, OJ, and put this on Rexs tab:D :rolleyes: "

We got very little rain, some wind. Over all you couldn't tell we had a hurry~ can. Hate to say it I hope, "I get more rain if it backs up" If I bought that storm I want my money back:D Now Fey Has DESTROYED 9 House's in south florida:eek: Fay gave birth to several Tornados, which touched down and destroyed several homes! The damage reports are starting to roll in, the guy kite boarding was funny!:D If you haven't looked at it above do so. funny!:D

Ray the flowers are pretty!

Rex 18 year's ago I sent my cousin in Ohio a small toy beach bucket of beach sand and some salt water(From the beach) as a joke! I called it "Insta~Beach" I even included a instruction book on how to use the kit! Him and his friends had a BBQ/Beach party that week..........It was a hit.....
 
Good morning.

It's 75 and cloudy with drizzle. The high should be in the mid 80's and there's a good chance of rain.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/20/2008


Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 71°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 75°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph ESE

Now through 06:00 AM CDT August 20, 2008

Through 6 AM...numerous showers and thunderstorms will continue to move northeast across Tyler...Hardin...Jefferson counties in southeast Texas...and from Sabine Pass to High Island out 60 nautical miles. Within the stronger storms...expect occasional cloud to ground lightning...brief gusty winds of 25 to 35 mph...and heavy rainfall of one to one and a half inches per hour. Elsewhere across the remainder of southeast Texas...central and southcentral Louisiana...patchy light rain will amount to less than a tenth of an inch per hour.

Today High: 85 Showers and thunderstorms likely. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010009-18.jpg
 
Good morning coffee clubbers!

I always dread coming back to the office after a vacation, since I might find a stack of 'distress' e-mails. Luckily that didn't happen, but it's that time of year when I [and all my co-workers] need to do alot of paperwork-intensive tasks that distract us from our regular jobs. This is in addition to the normal stuff that piled up while I was gone.

I hope those of you in Fay's projected path are ready. That is one bizzarre storm - I thought hurricanes were supposed to get weaker as they went over dry land?! At least that is what X-spurts have always said. Goes to show that Ma Nature always gets the last laugh.

Chris - that kite boarder looks like a candidate for the Darwin award.

Ray - I feel your pain [about the sleepless nights]. I had a heluva time falling asleep the night before I drove back from 'Bama - precisely because I was worrying about getting enough sleep! Luckily my wife and my son could take over driving when necessary.

Have a good 'un!
 


Good morning folks

It was a crisp 60 F on the way in this morning. High will be 79 F. It feels more like September than August right about now. Of course any day the a/c is not running is a good one.

Yesterday we went out and met with a couple of townships concerning a multi-use trail they are proposing. The trail could take bicycle traffic off the state route which is a good thing given the narrowness of the road and the speed of traffic. The thing they didn’t like is we told them one of their proposed trailheads would not be approved and they would have to move it away from a curve and a bridge.

I actually ran a train and did a short photo session last night.

Tonight my wife and I are going to the Phillies game. She won tickets for the Hall of Fame Club (I think that is the name). It is the Club Seats. My son has a football scrimmage tonight. My wife and the kids are supposed to be going school clothing shopping this afternoon since she has off from the museum today. So basically it is going to be a crazy day.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Jim Thats what i'm thinking, if we can put it up under the value it should prompt a quick sale, but the wife still wants the same as the last valuation from a year ago,,, and that is NOT going to happen, it will never sell but just sit there going down in value until 2015 when we should be at the bottom of the slippery slope. The options are simple

lower the sale price by a few thousand = quick sale but not as much profit

OR

Stick it out for the full value (like the CFO wants to do) and have it sit there forever, and maybe lose 50% or even more.

It's a no brainer in my book but how the female mind works is ????????
 
Morning, everybody.

Chris, I wonder why the kite surfer guy didn't just let go when he was over water? Seems like a better idea than holding on until you get smashed into a building. We'd get the same kind of thing with surfers when we had big storms come in over the Pacific. The waves would get to 20 feet high and they would all want to be out there testing their skills. That usually meant at least a few in the hospital and the occasional coroner's case. Depends on what path wants to take if you want more rain. If she makes a quick turn to the west by tomorrow, you should be in the most favorable quadrant for rain. If she dwaddles around for 48 hours, she'll be too far north to much help for you.

Ken, Fay is the only tropical storm I've seen develop an eye and eyewall over land. Apparently, the recent rains in south Florida and the water heat energy available from the Everglades was enough to give her a boost. I'm glad they didn't bury you in work when you got back. I always hated opening that first e-mail too and seeing what kinds of disasters happened while I was gone.

Tom, the last time it was 60 degrees down here was about...June. :)

It looks like we are stuck in a dry slot right now between Fay and the thunderstorm complexes that are over Jeffrey. The models are still confused about what's going to happen to Fay. One set of models brings Fay back over the Atlantic around Daytona Beach and leaves it there until it comes back ashore further north in Florida or south Georgia as a cat 1 hurricane. Another set of models has Fay staying offshore for just short period of time, getting a little stronger, and then coming back ashore one about 100 miles north of Daytona. She would then travel across the Panhandle and into Alabama as weakening tropical depression. I think this is the most likely scenario. Where Fay goes in Alabama will determine how much rain we get. If she goes south of us, we will get almost none. If she comes over us or just to the north of us, we could get a good soaking. All this is still four to five days out and everything can change in that period of time. We sure could use the rain if we get the right set of circumstances.
 
Good Morning to all!
The weather has taken a turn for the better, IMHO, It was a very comfortable 56* outside, I derive that due to the fact the inside back porch
thermometer is 10* warmer than the outside and it read 66*! Finally it seems the long awaited cool down is comming/is here!

I've been involved in other things so not to much done on the railroad, I need to make the pointspacer and throw arm and then I can install the curved switch to the S&S siding along with the RH switch for the outside siding.

Hope everyone has a good day and week!
 
Mornin' everyone!

Jim my Night Blooming Cereus was raised from a cutting given to me by one of the best 4th. grade teachers I have ever worked with almost 40 years ago. It almost died 21 years ago when it had to be moved out of my house and stored on the back porch of a friends house when my late wife was being treated for leukemia. It was outside and got frostbitten. Lost about 3/4 of it. It is one of my most prized possessions.

I have been watching Fay very closely as I have two nieces who live near Orlando. One of them lives in Sanford and they appear to be just about at the eye of the storm right now. I worry about them as her husband is just out of the hospital after a nasty time with asthma. He is a pest management specialist and his problems likely stem from years of working with some potent chemicals. I guess he almost died this time.

On the other hand here in the Finger Lakes it is a very pleasant 66°F with bright and sunny skies and light and variable winds. The high will be around 72°F. My kind of weather!

Hope all of you stay safe and have a great day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, the only thing I can say to help explain the situation to her is that your house has no value except what the market is willing to pay for it. All other valuations are a bunch of made up numbers that mean nothing. Just take a look at average days on the market for houses for sale in your area. As soon as it starts going over 60 days, your house is below what the previous "fair value" was and you have to lower the price to stay ahead of everyone else coming on the market who may be more desperate than you. If I was still in my house in California and hadn't sold out at a discount, I would have lost just about 45% of the price it sold for in 2005 - and I probably wouldn't be able to sell it even at that deep a discount now. In economics, the first price cut is the cheapest. I hope you can make her understand this.
 
Morning, everybody.

Chris, I wonder why the kite surfer guy didn't just let go when he was over water? Seems like a better idea than holding on until you get smashed into a building.

Jim, Before he hit's the side of the building he get's slamed in to the beach hard, and yet he still didn't let go! I assume he had a death grip on the kite and even if he wanted to let go fear said, "Hell no bucky, your in it for the full 8Sec.!" I've been there, Once you get a death grip going it's hard to break loose! "Letting Go is so Hard to do........"
 
Good Morning Gentlemen ! Another beautiful day here in Western New york ! I see that Fay has caused some damamge in Central Florida . I have a nephew and neice that live outside Orlando and hope they are alright . My daugher works for a company that does payroll Checks and they shut down their offices in Melbourne and Orlando yesterday. Chris that surfer must be some kinda of nut to be out at this time. But I guess it's the rush ! Steve I would get the hpuse sold now as Jim says , the market will only get weaker for while yet . Ray that is one beatiful plant. I have a Christmas Cactus I got when my Grandmother died in 1985 and it is still going strong . I don't know how old it is . It was pretty cold here last night also , I had to put a cover sheet on this morning. Frist time I did that in awhile.Hope fall stays away for a long time yet . And on a lighter note go Mets and hope you all have a real nice rest of the day !!!
 


How about some lunch everyone. Chris said it is all on my tab, so come and get it. I have to eat early today; this is "D" Day as in DENTIST. Yup, at 1 o'clock the numbing shots begin for getting my 4 teeth extracted. Don't mine telling you that I have mixed feelings about it all:eek: . Paul, come-on and join me and get it over with.

Fay (I guess??) is generating a nice breeze here in T-town. That is something we haven't had all summer. I would welcome a tropical storm or a weeks rain of any kind.

Jim: only 100k to detail my layout. Well heck, I will just cash in one of my little CDs and we can get started:D :D . Seriously though, the plan for my lifetime layout is to have plenty of detailing and such to do as I get older and too stiff for the bull work under and over. When the time comes that I can't see or shake too bad, then it is sale time. God willing that will be about 15-20 years from now.

Steve, Another point of view: As long as you get what you purchased your house for, plus any improvements, you have broken even and the rest is setup money for your move. There is no "Real" loss on something you never had to begin with since you are not going to buy in the same market. All you need to be concerned about is the housing market in NZ and purchasing an equivilant or better home for that price. Making a "killing" is terrific, but the timing for that is not now and probably won't be for a very long time. Whatever you do, I'm sure all of us wish you the very best of luck.

Enough for now and time to eat a little and get ready for the long, sharp, minacing looking needles, and those god awful looking dental tools. Did you fellows ever see the movie, "The Dentist"? :eek: :eek:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top