Karl, it does sound like he's getting ready to cross the river. It will be very peaceful and his face will look better than it has in 10 years. CJ did an excellent job of explaining why there's only so much medicine can do when the basic systems being to fail. That's what's happening with your dad. He will go into a deep coma by tomorrow and then just sleep and not wake up. Although even thinking about death is difficult, having someone with him is really important. He knows you are there, even if he can't express it terms we humans understand. I was with my mom and dad when they died and, of course, with my late wife. In all three cases, it was very peaceful, and made me feel better that I could see all the pain and worries of the world had left them. I'll keep you, him and the family in my prayers that God makes it an uplifting experience for you all.
Tom, I had to do a five day winter survival training for search and rescue. Up in the Sierra's, in January, with five feet of snow on the ground and an actual air temperature of 5 degrees. We had to snowshoe in five miles, build our own snow shelters (AKA, igloo), and then get a fire started so we could eat part of our three days worth of MRE's that we had to make last five days. It was surprisingly warm in the snow shelter when we had the fire up on a platform. BY warm, I mean it was about 30, but being out of the wind made it tolerable. Hunting for firewood was the worst part. Thank goodness for some dead branches we could reach because the snow was so deep. We picked up another two feet of snow while we there so digging out become a regular process, so we didn't die from CO poisoning. We had to snowshoe back out but at least most of it was downhill. We were about 40 miles from the nearest town but, at the first McDonald's we came to, I think I ate four Big Macs and three huge things of fries, plus a gallon of coffee. I was then able to feel my feet again.

I hope the kids and you have it a little easier.
Jeffery, that sucks, since you can usually cobble together something by yourself. I hope the bill isn't too painful.
Matt, I hope you did well in your track events. Whatever happened, I'm sure you gave it your best shot, and that's all anyone can expect.
LTF, every time I hear the song
Just Another Day in Paradise by Phil Collins, I think of some of the homeless folks I did my best to help in San Francisco. Things are always a lot better for us than many people in this world. You have a big heart.
Steve, I'm been looking at the weather in the UK and thinking about how miserable it must be for you. It's cold here too, but at least no snow. Just the thought of having to turn a hose on something in that weather makes my toes curl.

You should get combat pay.
Bob, our high here was 31, and that was with the sun out all day! For us, that's amazing. I think that kid was just having fun with your snowblower. He probably would have kept on going to the neighbor's lawns if you didn't stop him.

Three bucks a piece for BB kits? Sounds like an instant profit to me. I picked up 20 ice reefers two years ago for five bucks a piece, and that included Kadee's and metal wheels. I've now got enough for a pretty decent fruit block. I don't think I'll see any more deals like that in the future.
Rex, I can't wait to see what my Alabama power bill is going to be this month.

So when do you think you'll have enough done for an operating session? I'm looking forward to seeing all your changes.
Chris, even in Florida, you have to get a few bad days. You'll be back up in the 70's by Sunday, unlike us.
Barry, I guess your good luck with snow earlier in the winter is catching up with you know. I talked to my sister in Cleveland and she said it's been snowing for five straight days...and it's still coming down. She doesn't even live in a lake effect area and he has 18 inches of snow in the backyard. I'd hate to be up toward Erie tonight.
CJ, I was watching the radar this morning and wondering if any of those "scattered flurries" were reaching the ground. It was clear all day here but it's clouded over now and temperature is up to 21 from 19 in the last hour. I wouldn't be surprised if we had enough cold air advection to squeeze out a few flakes here by morning. Had a first today. got up, opened up the weather station on the computer, and noticed my high wind gust overnight was 2 mph. The wind was blowing pretty good at the time so I know something must have been wrong. Got on my parka and, sure enough, the anemometer was just sitting there, although the wind vane was still moving. Got out the ladder and a long pole. Gave it a few good whacks on the bottom and, sure enough, a couple of pieces of ice fell out, and the cups started spinning again. I haven't had to unfreeze an anemometer since I lived in Cleveland.

My weather station is an old Oregon Scientific that's now approaching 25 years old. I'm amazed that it's all still holding together. I was looking at some new ones tonight on the web and, boy, prices have gone up since I paid my $199 for this station. Almost the exact same station, with a few cosmetic changes, in now almost $500. The really nice ones are approaching a grand now.

Since I'm an official observer, it sure would be nice if the NWS would kick in a few bucks for a new station. I'm not holding my breath though.
Sandy, have you tried the old truckers trick? Just get some cardboard, cut it to shape, and stick it on the front of the radiator. It should get the engine hot enough to at least give you a little heat.
Phillip, good to see you. I hope all the music comes together. And what the heck is cosmogony? Sounds very esoteric.
Just literally freezing cold and windy today. It's still windy tonight and, with an air temperature of 21, we are averaging a 7 degree wind chill. Man, I'm glad my days of being called out at 0300 are behind me. Finally broke down and went to the doctor today. I have arthritis in my neck and it has really flared up in the last month. I don't know if it's the cold or me just getting old but it was getting to the point I couldn't even turn my neck enough to see if traffic was coming before I pulled out into an intersection. Heat helps but I can't wear and heating pad around my neck all day. I've tried all the OTC NSAID's and ibuprofen is the only one that touches it. I've been taking about 2,500 mgs a day, which I can't do for very long before I get a hole in stomach. I've got a good doc who actually listens to me and doesn't treat me like an idiot. Celebrex works but he won't prescribe for more than a 10 day burst dose because it has some pretty serious cardiac side effects, especially in the "elderly", a group I've apparently joined, much against my will.

We talked it over and decided to try Vicoprofin, which has worked when the arthritis flares up in my shoulder. It's 200 mg of ibuprofen and 7.5 mg of hydrocodone. The ibuprofen will have some anti-inflammatory effect and the hydrocodone is just enough narcotics to keep the edge off the pain. He was willing to give me something stronger but I'm fairly tolerant of pain as long as it's not interfering with my range of motion. I took two tonight and, combined with the heating pad, I feel better than I have for a month. Maybe I can actually bend down enough to get some work done on the layout now. I really hate getting old...but I guess it beats the alternative.
