Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats right Jeff, the top one is a kerb view, so when we are in narrow streets the driver can see whats below the window.
The truck is a DAF 55, quite an old model now. It is a pump rescue vehicle and is fitted with a 10.5 meter ladder, a 9 meter tripple extension ladder and roof ladder. It has 1000 litres of water on board and can deliver 1000 gallons per minuet. We carry all the normal HOLMATRO cutting gear, lots of hose, PPV fan, holigan tool plus other hand tools, enviro packs, chemical protection suits, water rescue kit including hose inflation kit, low expansion foam and so on, and we can carry six including the driver. It may be an old vehicle but it sticks to the road like a racing car and is very manouverable with a very tight turning circle, ideal for our back streets
th_L54P214-12-2009.jpg
 
I thought that's what the mirrors would be for. I drove fire trucks for about ten years before my health problems took me off the driver list. I can still drive them in an emergency if there's no one else available.
 


Steve B- That looks like the American equivalent of a heavy/medium duty rescue truck, Are the floors in the truck bays really tile? Or just some sort of design, the dept. i help out has concrete bays.
 
Steve, youse looks like a real firefighter now. :) Looks like you guys must have an arson problem too, by the sticker on the side of the rig. Those pictures make me cold just looking at them. I sure hope you don't get any big structure fires. All the ice buildup from the water can get really dangerous for you guys going up and down the ladders.

Matt, the Brits have always had fire trucks with kind of the same philosophy as they built steam engines. Make them look neat, without a bunch of junk hanging off the sides. I was impressed when I was in London that all the fire trucks had everything but ladders stored behind those roll up doors. It was protected from the weather and was well-organized. We just make a hose bed and sides and bolt or screw everything on. Our trucks look very cluttered by comparison, and it's really not good to have things like hose reels sitting out in the weather. You'll also notice the truck isn't covered with about 50 light bars, sirens, speakers, and various and sundry LED flashy-blinkies. American firefighters love to add one more light or siren to an engine. Well, cops like to do the same thing, we just don't have as much real estate to work with. :)

Jeffrey, just got #2 daughter's car back and what looked like a major repair turned out to be an blown oil pressure sending unit. "Only" cost me $80, but I thought I might be looking at a new head for a while. I hope your dad's in a real good mood today. :D

Phillip, the creation of the universe, huh? I'd like to be there to hear what you have to say.

Karl, you're still on the prayer list, along with Larry. I hope things are going as well as possible for both of you.

Chris, ya big wuss. :p You remember winter in Parma. A few bits of ice crystals are just a source of amusement where you live now. My sister in Cleveland said it just stopped snowing, after almost six days. They got 22 inches. That would cramp your style heading for the flea market.

Corey, glad you made a few bucks back on that station. Is this like a Sadie Hawkins Day dance? We had those, and it was the only time my wallet wasn't completely empty after taking a girl anywhere. How do you stand -19 degrees? The girl's car door was frozen shut this morning and you should have seen the panic. It was much too cold (+18) for her brain to work and come up with a solution, so she had to wake me up. A glass full of warm water solved the problem. She was completely baffled that such a thing could happen. :rolleyes:

LTF, 4 degrees and barn chores? I think I'd just pour the coffee inside my clothes. It's a good thing for the horses you really love them. My inclination would be check on them come spring. :p

It was a little nippy overnight, with a low of 17. It did get above freezing today and it's 36 right now. Unfortunately, the 20 mph winds make it feel like it's still about 20. Even the sun doesn't help you feel warm. It does look we are about enter a slow warming trend, so winter will be losing its grip over the next several days. If the forecast pans out, we could be in the 70's by Friday and looking at severe thunderstorms. I don't think I'll put away the parka quite yet though. :)
 
Yes, I'm a wimp! But this is FLORIDA! Not frezing rain florida!!!!!! We had snow flurrys one county to the north and sleet where I'm at......It was still a challange fleaing in the cold. I was at this airsoft booth and shouldered a full metal rifle damn thing nearly stuck to me!LOL's
 
Steve, I bet it feels odd everyone else runs out of a building on fire...............and you run in!LOL's Nice Fire Truck though......So how many lil old ladys cats did you get out of the trees so far.hehehehe Keep safe man!
 
Jim- Maybe its just my Dept., but the trucks im familiar with are very clean, especially compared to the town that i actually live in apparatus, flags, lots of light bars, as well as my schools mascot painted on the side of a few engines, it looks great when they lead the football team back from sectionals/finals with a win, but for everyday call-to-call, its just for flash. Ive got a few pics of the apparatus i clean over the summer, ETA 211 (first one) and RESCUE 215 (second one) are pretty similiar to the model Steve B showed us, ETA 212 (third one) and ENGINE 213 (last one) are really the only engines that has the "everything strapped to the sides" look to it.

Steve B- I have to agree with Jim here though, you boys sure do have some sharp looking equipment, but the only thing i complain about is those european stlye sirens! :mad::D

Chris- Hows -9* tonight sound? Thats before the windchill of course :D. Tommorows high is only suppose to be 19*, and sunny! Btw, hows those oranges doin? :p
 
Jeffrey, just got #2 daughter's car back and what looked like a major repair turned out to be an blown oil pressure sending unit. "Only" cost me $80, but I thought I might be looking at a new head for a while. I hope your dad's in a real good mood today. :D
He's thinking about it but he's making favorable noises. Getting my car fixed will be a lot easier than keeping one of his at the ready for me to use at a moments notice as I sometimes have to do.



It's 27 at the moment heading for 18. Spent part of the afternoon down at my parents place waiting on the Home Health nurse. She finally showed up and changed out my wound vacuum dressing then I used my mother's car since mine is down to go to the pharmacy then to Wal-Mart to get some some things I needed. Man, I love those electric carts. I never could have gotten what I needed without one. Came back home and unloaded the stuff then after a rest took my mother's car back to her. We spent the early part of the evening watching TV in the west wing. About 7:30 my parents retired to the east wing and my neighbor and I remained for a while watching the Cowboys and the Eagles whip up on each other on a little while. Neither of us are big football fans so we locked up and he brought me home. Other than that it's been an uneventful day.
 


Steve B- I just finally realized that as a fireman you put out fires instead of starting the for folks. And with the weather in Alabama right now, I could use someone to help start a fire to keep warm.:o
Actually, we have missed you on the forum and are glad to see what you have been doing. We seem to approve of your new occupation. Keep the pictures coming!

Karl- I have a small experience with what you are going through. My FIL passed away several years ago after a lingering illness. We still miss him, but he did not suffer in the end and that helped us deal with the grief knowing we did everything we could to make him comfortable.

I'm certain all the electric and gas utility companies are smiling as the meters spin furiously. We will remember the weatjher one more time when the heating bills come in next month!

Stay warm everyone.
 
Steve B- I just finally realized that as a fireman you put out fires instead of starting the for folks. And with the weather in Alabama right now, I could use someone to help start a fire to keep warm.:o
Actually, we have missed you on the forum and are glad to see what you have been doing. We seem to approve of your new occupation. Keep the pictures coming!

Karl- I have a small experience with what you are going through. My FIL passed away several years ago after a lingering illness. We still miss him, but he did not suffer in the end and that helped us deal with the grief knowing we did everything we could to make him comfortable.

I'm certain all the electric and gas utility companies are smiling as the meters spin furiously. We will remember the weatjher one more time when the heating bills come in next month!

Stay warm everyone.

How much is the KWH for you ?
down there its 0.08$ the kwh, guess why my computer has an uptime of 18 days...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya gang!
Again, thanks for the prayers. Dad spent the entire day sleeping and unresponsive. I left about 3 to rescue my MIL who was watching my 14 year old. My sisters stayed til 7. I arrived at the hospice at 7:15 and the nurse had just gotten done checking him. His BP had dropped to 62/40. I called my sisters and they turned around and came back, we all stayed til about 11 or so. His BP had actually come back up slightly , and he had a very peacefull look, even though his breathing was ragged. I have got the feeling that tomorrow will be his final day with us, but am relieved that when it comes to pass, he will be better off and free of the mortal coils that hold him down. We all have said our goodbyes (including my Mom) and are ready for the next step. Again, I can't say enough about the Hospice nurses. They truly are Angels on Earth.
 
Karl, the inevitable is sometimes both sad and liberating. I'm sure your dad will soon be given his eternal reward, never to have to suffer again. He's lucky to have such a caring family. As you say, those Hospice nurses are really like Angels sent from God. I couldn't do what they do. They are very special people.

Mikey, I can only imagine how much AP is going to get out of me. It's been cold enough that the heat pump has shut down most of the time and it's using the auxiliary heat strip, which really gets the meter spinning. I'm amazed it's been able to keep the house at 68. The guy that built the house really spent some bucks to get the maximum R rating for the insulation and I really thank him for that now. I had to go up in the attic earlier today and, man, it was really cold up there. :eek:

Julien, our average cost per KWh is about 10 cents. Not the cheapest rate in the country but a lot better than the 16 cents I was paying in California. Canada really benefits from having so much relatively cheap hydro power.

Jeffrey, the Cowboys took care of the Eagles pretty easily and won 34-14. The Eagles were way over matched in that game. I'm glad the wound sucker is still working and that it allows you to get around some. I think you got Walmart now because you like racing those carts around. :)

Matt, all the newer fire trucks are adopting a lot of the British standards of having most of the equipment enclosed because it makes sense. Back in the old days, you had a lot of open decking and hand rails because you had four or five firemen hanging on, riding to the fire. With OSHA rules now, everyone has to be seated, belted in, and be wearing headphones for hearing protection, so all the newer units are crew cabs. That made space a premium, so they had to get the gear better organized. It's a better thing all around, both for safety and preserving the equipment.

Phillip, got your e-mail. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Chris, I told you not to get rid of that parka. :D It is a pretty amazing southern penetration of cold air, with Key West going down into the mid 40's tonight, which should tie or break the record for the date. It looks like things should start to warm up nicely for us after Monday though.

It's actually a little warmer tonight, with a temperature of 23 right now. Never thought I say that was warmer. It may get into the mid-40's tomorrow, which will be the first time since New Year's Day. This has been an amazing run of cold weather for us.
 
Say Karl,
My heart goes out to you and as Jim expressed very well, it will be a releif to know he is not suffering any longer. I'm pretty sure he also knew that all of you were there for him.

May the Grace of God be with you all!

David Smith
 
Cheers gents,
Littlefoot thanks for the pictures, we have an old foam tender that looks very cluttered
th_alcoresistantfoampod02-11-09.jpg


In comparison this is our brand new foam tender
th_pn09kno14-12-09-1.jpg


This is just down the road from us, but when we get our new fire station it'll be ours, it carrys search and rescue equipment including heavy lift jacks, winches, chainsaws, disc saws, to name just some of the kit
th_faf93dd0.jpg
 
Karl- very sorry to hear about your dad, it seems like things are going relativley smoothly for you, and i wish that things keep doing so.

Steve B- What exactly is a foam tender? Is it basically like a tanker for the foam the use in aviation crashes?

Jim- Do you know when OHSA stepped in and made those changes? Theyre use to be one very old truck (early 70's perhaps?) That had some of those characteristics.
 
Another cold day we are now 20* @#$% it's cold!

Matt, the citrus growers, strawberry Growers, Cattle ranchers and tropical fish farms are having a rough go of it! I hate to say if they couldn't keep on top of the cold...........No Florida OJ For you! When we went to the Flea market we passed a few groves the Pickers were hustling to get the parson browns off the trees before the next wave. Every (undocumented worker) must be in florida picken today!

Jim, It's freaking cold, my thin blood can't and doesn't like this not one bit!
 
Chris- Id imagine they arent doing to well, funny you mentioned the "undocumented workers", the farms and quarries around here are employing them and im amazed everyone has kept to themselves about it. The crops up here really dont have to deal with the cold usually, with the exception of apples :D. I didnt know cattle was raised in florida, ive always associated that with the north and the west. If theres no more oranges, does that mean no more tropicanna juice train? :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Hi Gang
Dad finally passed over to his reward this morning about 7:30 this morning. True to form, he always did stuff early in the day, so he left us the same way.
I want to thank you all for your kind words, prayers and well wishes. Also I would hope that everyone else connected to this band of hooligans has all thier prayers answered too.

Oh and Chris, it's 12 degrees outside on my patio. Wanna trade?:confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top