Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim- Couldnt agree with you more, although i have to admit, Sally had a dog hoodie, but this one was different, my dog was severely malnuerished when we adopted her, she was 17lbs and on food tubes with a possibility she may not have made it :(, 17 weeks old and about half the size she shouldve been, she had absolutely no fat on her body and we adopted her on the 29th of december, obviously very cold so we had to get her some clothes to go outside, but my father and i kept it masculine, it was camofluage :cool:, and yes she did chew it :rolleyes:, i have more a problem with the women who put the dogs in their purses, that cant be fun for the dog at all.

Bob- So theres a chance its just a custom locomotive? Very cool none the less, still wishing for pics :D:p

Well we had to scratch the trip to camp this morning, we got some snow and you never know how much dfferent the weather up there can be from here, but its looking like we'll be going tommorow :D. Have a nice night everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


Evening All!

Just got back from a trek to Colorado Springs. The sun was setting as we drove past the Air Force Academy and it was absolutely spectacular.

My nephew was in the Springs after flying the Academy VIPs to Texas for the game. He also had the AFA falcons on board. He mentioned that he might be flying one of the teams to Hickam in Hawaii and is looking forward to that. Was great having dinner with him this evening. Don't get to see him nearly often enough.

His dad, my brother, is back home after having surgery yesterday. They put a cage on his ankle to stabilize it until the swelling goes down enough to repair it. He sounded great today...good meds :D

I hope everyone is having a great 2010 so far. Hope I don't forget to write that instead of 2009 on my checks. :p I worked today and it was great. I was the only one there and it was soooo quiet. I listened to a Patricia Cornwell book on CD to pass the time. Not too scary.

Have a great weekend!

Sandy
 
Jim, I give up. I've been searching on the computer goin' on 3 days, and I cannot find a prototype. My friend, Richard, suggested this might be a custom built engine. Just the same, I'd like to now who the genius was that built it. Well, genius or madman...... Regardless, he was a master.

I got my NMRA gauge out and the wheels DO NOT conform. The track of the wheels is about 1/16" too wide and the flanges are WAY too deep. I'm beginning to think that it may be a "Shelf Queen". The wheels show absolutely no wear. I'm beginning to get a picture in my head that this engine will never see track time if this is the case. I surely don't have the talent, the time, or the tools to correct things. And patience is another commodity that I'm a bit short of lately.

I know a guy in Prescott, AZ that may be able to help me out. He's a collector and not a modeler. That is if he's still alive. That's the problem nowadays. All of the oldtimers I know are getting up in years and nearing that time in life.

I think I said earlier that the motors may be early Sagami motors. I think I meant to type Samhongsa(sp?) I think. I have a hard tome keeping these old motor manufacturers straight. They are open armature motors with a horizontal shaft, some of you may call them open frame. Anyway, they be old ones. Very well built.

I've been looking for my camera all day too. I think I left it at the Angela's family Christmas party in Ohio. Yeh, I know, the onslaught of "OldTymers". At least I know I didn't drop it in a lake somewhere, which is what happens when I take a camera on the boat. There are two cameras in Lake Erie and one in Lake Huron. I have the GPS coordinates in case someone would like to try and salvage them.

I've gone over the engine with a magnifying glass and can find no tooling marks. Is this common? I would think that there would be something that would show if, indeed, this engine was hand made. But, I can't make out any grooves, gouges, or marks that may have been left.

I'm beginning to ponder the idea that this engine may appear on eBay's auction block.

Bob
 


Sandy I was going to say summat about that dang cage around the ankle. Be careful around that thing---if he has a habit of crossing his'n legs he'll get told by it!:eek:

They're just loads of fun-----:rolleyes:
 
My Townhouse is creaking and snapping from the cold. It is 15 below zero on our way to 20 below. Right now there is a wind chill of negative 37 degrees!:eek: I've lived up here all of my life, but damn that's cold! Oh well, at least we don't have hurricanes!;) Good night folks.
 
WE HAVE HURRICANS?!:confused::eek: WHY THE HELL DON'T PEOPLE TELL ME THESE THIS SOONER!:eek::mad:


Morning temp a Balmy 34* todays high 60*, man things are going to start to freeze a fall off if'n it don't warm up! I'll take Hurry Cans over the cold!:p;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning--

-14C with a windchill of -20C. Corey, you can keep that -37 windchill up there please:eek:

Oh bother--we had 16" of snowsquall show up last night so neighbour and I fired up our respective new snowblowers and cleared some elderly neighbours driveways and our own. Went out this morning to do same---now the weatherguessers have us under snowsquall warning --expecting another 12-16" of the white stuff by tonight:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm going to get some survival food supplies in and hunker down for a rather snowy week by the looks of things---

I might get some modeling in this weekend-----heeheehee:D:D:D

CHRIS ----and you can keep your hurricanes down there:D:D:D:eek::D:D:D----or maybe rather you have our lovely snow?:D:D:D:p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It is 28 F and going up to 31 F.

I hope everyone had a good New Year’s Day and will have a Happy New Year. We just spent the day lounging around the house. We watched the Mummers Day Parade particularly the Fancy Brigades. It always amazes me the high level of production and detail these groups go to for a one day show. None of them are professional either.

I am still trying to figure out the new Cannon Rebel camera. I have to relearn how to use a SLR camera again.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
It's -26 degrees Fahrenheit right now! :eek: The good news is that there isn't any wind. That's hard to believe, but I'll take it. This is the kind of weather where parts fall off! Chris, you can keep your hurry canes. I've never lost a house because of the cold, at least not yet!:D
 
Good morning

Gonna be miserably cold and windy around here today [though not as bad as where Corey's at], wish I could hide indoors all day but I can't. I'll be making a trip to the county WDC (waste disposal center) with some junk items from my trainroom that are too large/heavy to go in a regular trash can. Then I'll start dismantling the wall shelves. I spent a few hours yesterday re-boxing all of my B&O locos so I can get re-focused on the rebuild project. The part I dread most is trying to take up as much existing unballasted track as possible without damaging it, at least the turnouts. I'm so broke from holiday spending that I can't afford to replace all my track with new - especially after this latest price surge. :eek:

I'll be going with Vicky to her office's Christmas party tonight. They scheduled it for today since everybody else had to go to other Christmas parties(!) or were out-of-town. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm developing a bit of a "Scrooge" attitude about parties after being around my Alabama relatives for 2 weeks, and going to all these other holiday events. I just want life to get back to normal for a change.

Bob - it seems to me that your mystery loco might have been the builder's idea of a very elaborate practical joke. I'm still dying to see a picture of it.

Sandy - glad to hear your brother got thru his ankle surgery and is getting good pain meds.
 


Aww Chris, stop whining will ya! :D Its a balmy 26 degrees here, but with a wind chill that drops the temps to 9F. Makes a trips outside to get an armfull for firewood kinda,,,well,, exciting!

Hopefully I can suck it up at some point today,and endure about 1/2 hour of it. I'm still putzing around with a guitar rebuild. All the chrome parts have been cleaned and polished, all the wood parts have been removed and prepped except for the main body. It is gonna need some serious sanding, which will have to take place out in the garage. (NOT IN THE HOUSE!, SWMBO says)
Once its done, then it comes in for Candyapple red, black and a few accent colors plus some "album" art. Hopefully when it's done, it oughta be quite a unique piece! Then maybe, just maybe, I'll start playing again. (It's been 20 years)
Heres a small taste of the artwork involved, theres more, but I havnt scaled it down to fit yet.
boB Find that camera! I'd love to see this beast that has you so befuddled!
Barry Hope ya stocked up on spare shear pins for those blowers. Nothing says get out the shovel like catching you newspaper in the blower auger and breaking the pins!:eek:
Sandy Glad to hear your brother is home and has good meds. Now might be the time to ask him some questions of days gone by! :rolleyes:;)
Well, coffee is empty, cinnimon rolls are calling, catch y'all later!

Oh, and before I forget, Chris , stop whining about the cold!! :D
 
Good morning. It's 31 and partly cloudy. The high will be in the low 50's and there's a chance of a bit of snow and rain this morning.

Looks like we may be in for a bit of the white stuff falling from the sky this morning. Sure hope that goes somewhere else real quick! We don't need snow here. Oh sure the kids would love it, especially if it gets them out of school for a bit, but what about those of up who have to drive on it. I'll have to leave my nephew off that list. He'll just get his little redneck hunting buggy out and go spin donuts with the emergency brake locked. One of the items on my personal projects list is to get a USB IDE hard drive enclosure to put my data drive in. Wal-Mart doesn't carry such an item and the computer shop is out of them at this time. I may just have to wait until they order more. The IDE ones sell out fast. Right now I'm using the data drive with a USB to IDE cable kit but there's no enclosure to put it in.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/PC160290.jpg
 
Good morning to you Gaugers....I hope you all have a very prosperous New Year..!! Got some modeling time in yesterday, and looks like I'll be having so'more this weekend. I'm finishing up a foundry kit from Suydam, and hopefully I can finish it, and RUN some trains..!!

P.D. - I'll take the cold over hurricanes ANY day. After living in the great state of Wisconsin for 10 years and seen my share of sub-zero temps and blizzards, it doesn't compare to the fear of sitting in your house hoping the wind doesn't blow your roof off....
 
Good Morning to All,
Lets all plan to have the best New Year possible! Might as well try and maintain a positive attitude, right?

Bob, do you have a picture posted of this locomotive or is there a link showing it somewhere? I did see one link someone poisted listing all the various Extreme Loco's from around the World with a couple of links to U.S. Loco's but the site didn't seem to work for me?


Jim, thanks for poisting some pics, it looks like you have built in quite a little operation in your layout. I can see how you can easily tie the outside station siding back into the mainline again if you wanted on the curve to the left of it.

I saw your post in answer to my post to Mike/you about Chips layout plan, that just goes to prove that drawings can be deceiving. Things are not always as we preceive theim to be or others imply they are.

Have a good one!
 
Zowey! It's cold down here at 39F and a slight wind today. Can't even imagine what Corey feels like...a frozen penguin??

Jeffrey: your computer talk got me thinking about adding some memory to my old Dell. The type is RDRam for a Dimension 8200, so I priced it at the Dell website and it was :eek:$580/gig:eek:. I haven't the slightest idea why so high unless it is because of it being old tech ??? NOPE!!! No Thanks! Think I will continue with the thought of buying a new laptop;):D.

Bob: Why not send Carey (Cjcrescent) a PM/email. He is quite the history buff on steam and model railroading and may know something about your beast.
 
Jeffrey: your computer talk got me thinking about adding some memory to my old Dell. The type is RDRam for a Dimension 8200, so I priced it at the Dell website and it was :eek:$580/gig:eek:. I haven't the slightest idea why so high unless it is because of it being old tech ??? NOPE!!! No Thanks! Think I will continue with the thought of buying a new laptop.
It's so high because Dell is proprietary. Only Dell parts will work and they know you'll eventually need them, so they charge you through the nose for them. I can still get 1 gig sticks of regular old DDR memory for about $60 (don't have a use for it) and I can a 1 gig stick of DDR2 memory for under $40 and that's not on sale. Do yourself a favor and get a computer that uses generic parts, not a name brand one. You can get generic parts at any computer shop. My new main board is generic (MSI) and cost only $54. It will fit in a wide variety of cases without adaptation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon, everyone.

Sandy, glad to hear your brother made it back OK. Those ankle cages are not a lot of fun but, if he has enough happy pills, he really won't care. I always liked to work during the holidays. No one around to bother and I could get some work done...or goof off, depending on my mood. :)

Matt, sounds like Sally had a tough life, so we'll make an exception on doggie clothes for her. I'm glad you're taking care of her now.

Tom, I never have figured out that Mummer's Day thing except I think it's Philly's excuse of Mardi Gras.

Corey, it's always fun having your pipes break if it gets really cold too. Of course, those tornado's up there can tear up a house pretty good.

Ken, sounds like you're making slow but sure progress on the renovation. How are switches held to the layout? If it's something like latex caulk, just soak the living heck out of them with water and they'll peel right up. I'm pretty sick of holiday parties too, and going to one the day after New Years sounds like even less fun. Just smile for an hour, scarf down some food, make up some kind of excuse why you have to leave...like your house is on fire. That one always works. :rolleyes:

Karl, restoring guitars sounds like much too exacting work for me. I don't think I'd end up with all the strings in the right place. I love that Meatloaf album art. Remember when he was big rebel type that scared your parents? Seems weird to see him as a fat old guy playing golf now.

Jeffrey, should be clear as bell there. I don't think we have any chance of snow until Wednesday or Thursday, if we can scare up enough moisture to go with the cold. Hope you get that hard drive enclosure you want. It always makes me nervous using a hard drive that's just sitting there naked.

David, adding another switch to the station track back to the main and a runaround track to the yard are two things on my list of projects for this year. Those were two big errors I made when I built the layout. The worst was not having a siding in the rear. I had room and it would have been easy to add one when it was still under construction. Now, I'd have to tear up a bunch of scenery and re-do almost the entire rear of the layout to add it. That's one of the reasons I always urge new modelers to let us look at their track plans. Any of the guys here would have caught those mistakes if I had known about this site when I was first planning the layout.

Rex, it tis a bit nippy here. There was ice on the puddles this morning, so my daughter was sure her car would flip over on the way to work. Any ice anywhere seems to lead people here to the idea your car will immediately flip over if you hit the smallest patch. :rolleyes: Looks like Cincy picked a bad time to try to move up in the big leagues. Florida was obviously really up for this game after getting beat by us and they took it out on Cincy. Their team is really not as bad as they looked last night but they tried too many of the plays Bama used to beat the Gators and Florida was ready for that. I'm glad to see Tebow go out on a winning note. I don't know if he has a pro career ahead of him, but he seems like a nice, moral guy with a lot of other talents, so I'm sure he'll make a success of himself. He's kind of a relief compared to all the thugs that currently play college ball.

I was danged cold for us overnight, with a low of 27. I know, some of you won't make it to 27 as a high, but that's still life-threatening cold for us down here. :D It's a rip-roaring 43 now, with 20 mph north winds, making the wind chill about 33. The humidity is only 21% so there's a red flag fire warning, something we don't often see in winter. My forecasts for snow sucked last week, but I'll see if I can get it right this week. Snow for almost everywhere Wednesday night through Friday morning. It will be plenty cold enough, just depends on if any of these shortwave troughs can drag some moisture with them.
 


Karl, restoring guitars sounds like much too exacting work for me. I don't think I'd end up with all the strings in the right place. I love that Meatloaf album art. Remember when he was big rebel type that scared your parents? Seems weird to see him as a fat old guy playing golf now.

Jim, he's still rockin, Bat out of Hell III is only 2-3 years old now, and a another new album is in the works, plus a broadway show. Yeah, he may be playing golf now (with another old rocker, Alice Cooper) but he still can scare some parents!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top