Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All...
Still waiting for word from my brother that they made it home safely. Soon, I hope.

Matt...Bubbles is 8 years old. She is a small St Bernard, but is just a love. She follows me every step I take. Up and down the halls, from one room to another. Right now she is laying beside my chair here in the office. When I get up, so does she :)


Bob...I love big dawgs, too. My brother and his wife had a black lab and a GR that were just about perfect. Buddy, the lab, lived to 16. The day that my SIL decided that he was failing too much, my 25 y/o nephew and I took Buddy to the vet. David laid on the floor and wrapped Buddy in his arms and held him while the vet gave the injections. David was just sobbing and his Aunt Sandy was not much better. A week or so later when the bill had not arrived, my SIL called the office to check on it. The vet told her that she absolutely could not charge for her services. She said she had never seen anyone grieve for their pet the way David did. Said it was one of the hardest things she'd had to do. Guess we're just a couple of softies!

I think my brother will be fine. He is a runner and is in great shape. The biggest problem will be keeping him down for the next couple of months. He has a great employer so that shouldn't be a problem although Bill travels alot with his job. He does corporate seminars and is gone for a week at a time. I suppose the pins in his ankle will cause him grief at the airports. :o

I hope everyone is staying warm and has wonderful New Years Eve plans. What is everyone going to do? Anything special??

Sandy

David and Bailey :)
 
Bob A 4-6-6-6-6????:eek: Who made that in brass??:confused::eek::) And here I was thinking that no one was making them any bigger than a triplex----now I can say there are Quadruplexes abouts!!!:eek:;):D:D

Sandy We used to have a Bull Mastiff that thought that it could fit into my little VW when I had the dang thing way back when----it was an interesting time. He followed me everywhere---even to school!!:eek::):)
 
Sandy- I never wouldve guessed shes older than 2-3 yrs. Shes a great looking dog, does she enjoy the snow? Ive got a chocolate lab/pitbull/beagle mix and a black lab that do the same thing as bailey, rose the black lab has even figured out how to do it herself, although shes certainly not graceful about it :rolleyes:, youve got some great looking dogs.

David- Thanks for shining some light on that, however im a bit confused? Were you refering to the triplex or that 4-6-6-6-6 ? :confused:

Welllll tonight here in bitter cold HF was a nice relaxing night, i played the wii for a bit then made some plans for the weekend. Practice bright and ugly tommorow at 9, but we'll be playing water polo which is as close to football as ill get for 8 months :(:(:(:(:rolleyes:
 


Evening y'all

Sandy - I too am a lover of big fluffy dawgs. Problem is, I'm too lazy to do the work required to care for such critters, and too broke [after paying all my kids' school tuitions] to afford the vet bills! Maybe when I retire I'll be better situated to get that golden retriever I've always wanted...

Tom, I had to take a second glance out my window this morning to see if the sun came up: You actually did some train-related stuff!:D Have fun with that new Rebel, I still have the one I bought in April 2004 but it's a 6.5 mpx relic.

Had an interesting ebay experience today. A "brand new" Atlas GP40 (dash 'zero') arrived in the mail, and I stuck it on my test track. No lights, no power - zero zip nada! It was easy for me to pull off the body since it was missing the two screws that hold it to the chassis (!), then I noticed that the 8-pin jumper clip was missing. Apparently it once had a decoder but the seller had taken it out. Luckily my LHS friend Glen came to the rescue, he had an Atlas jumper clip in his scrap bin which he stuck on, then the unit ran like a champ. So I ended up leaving the seller a positive feedback, but with a C-minus "grade" for failing to test-run the loco ahead of time and causing me the extra inconvenience.
 
Good early morning, everyone.

Been busy today doing important things...I just can't remember what they were. :)

Sandy, I hope your brother made it home safe and OK. If they gave him enough loratabs, he probably didn't care much about anything anyway. I think your idea of how how most model railroaders are perceived is pretty accurate. I think the folks here, especially at Flo's may not fit the typical demographic. A little better socially adjusted, with fairly normal lives outside of playing with our trains. I find a lot of model railroaders have a really good sense of humor, Chris and Karl being two good examples. Might be a little odd at times but always good for a laugh.

I feel really bad for you that have had to put down pets. I've never owned a dog in my life and I think one of the reasons is that I don't want to become too attached to something I know is probably not going to outlive me. I hope our kitties make it to ripe old ages and they get to attend my funeral instead of vice versa.

Rex, I'm afraid my forecast for snow is falling apart. :( Unless we really luck out Friday night, there won't be enough moisture around when the cold air gets here. The big low that's developing in the Gulf now looks like it will stay too far south of us to influence our weather Sunday and Monday so we'll just have some clouds but no snow. It will be plenty cold enough, with highs Monday around 40 and lows in the low 20's here and teens further north. Just not enough moisture or dynamics to squeeze out any snow. Rats!

The only steam locomotive with 4 sets of six coupled drivers was the N&W "Jawn Henry". The official classification was 6-6-6-6. If there was one with a 4 wheel lead, truck, I've never heard of it, but I'm sure Bob has. :D

I just realized I spent the last five minutes dozing off at the keyboard. I think that means I'm supposed to go to bed. Have a good night, everyone.
 
David- Thanks for shining some light on that, however im a bit confused? Were you refering to the triplex or that 4-6-6-6-6 ? :confused:

Matt, from the picture I was looking at I don't think they could be called Tripolexis as these were configured as 2-8-8-8-2 and 2-8-8-8-4 rather than what you strated above.

The triplex, I'm pretty sure comes from the standpoint of the 18 drivers, the other 6 is the trailing truck under the tender I would think?

Lets see if someone else has any or info, maybe Bob?
 
David- i was using the triplex as a comparison, not calling the 4-6-6-6-6 a triplex. Maybe this was a typo, i found a 6-6-6-6 and a 4-6-6-6, but boy nothing like that thing.
 


Yes, the last "6" is the bogey under the firebox. The first #, 4, is the pilot, the next three #'s, 6's, are the drivers. This thing dwarfs my Challenger. I don't have a Big Boy here to compare it to, but it sure looks bigger than a Big Boy!!! This thing should be able to pull the house!!!!!! I'm gonna have to get some track laid so I can see how it turns.

I have searched off and on all day yesterday for a picture to figger out what this monster is, who owned it, and when they were built for the road. Maybe, as I go through the rest of these boxes, I can find the original box. Currently, the engine and tender are packed in one of those aluminum attaches, all fancied up with foam and funky red velvet.

Well, I haven't had my coffee yet. Be back later.

Bob
 
That sounds pretty cool bob, please fill us in when you find some info on it.

Well im off to track, nothing like jumping in a pool (for track practice?) at 9 in the morning, joy. Happy New Years everyone, and have a great day. Hard to realize that its the last day of the year, as well as the decade!
 
Good Morning--

Had some snowdribble this morning--now it is just plain ol' DULL DULL DULL

Bob At 10lb that thing must be a real puller!!:eek: What size motors do it have in there?

Gotta run and jump and do stuff so:eek:----have a good one people!!:):)
 
Good morning all!
I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a Happy New Year!!

I have been real busy with the in-laws and outlaws for the last several days.
My wife's nephew and family was in town for the Holidays from the Phoenix area. They started out driving toward home this morning, hoping to dodge any snow in Texas. It is about 1900 miles from Alabama to Arizonia, so they will have several snow opportunities.
Then Saturday will be the chance to drive my MIL home. At least, I will not be on the roads with the drunks celebrating the New Year tonight.

I hope y'all have a safe and sane celebrating of the New Year's arrival.

I already know Chris will be riding his son's mini bike at midnight, so everyone keep an eye out for him tonight!
 
Happy New Year to one and all

I appear to have caught some kind of infectious bug, it's really bitten me on the butt and done something to me, i have started to build railroads again, even though i said i would not do until in New Zealand. It's nothing special just a dogbone affair for the boys to play on.

Rex Thank you sir, your a gentleman ;)
 
Hi Steve, good to see ya! I think I've had that same bug most of my life. It's incurable even though sometimes it goes "dormant", might as well make the most of it LOL!

Mikey I have in-laws (wife's sister + family) at my place too, they been here most of the Christmas holiday period. They're heading back to AL tomorrow morning. (BTW my B-I-L is an Auburn grad like yourself ;))

Happy New Year to everyone in here!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim the only white stuff that's going to be around here is the kind you mix and make a mess with...LOL. I bet we get the cold type sometime this winter.

Steve: glad you came by for a cup of joe and hope we see you more often ;). Stay safe in your Firefighter work.

Mikey: Good luck to Auburn in their bowl game. Our daughter just told us that the sil is heading to Pasadena for the Championship game. She didn't want to go, so a buddy is going with him. Dang, I thought I was a buddy:confused: :D. Oh well, at $900 a ticket I will watch it on my HD.

KenL: I know you enjoyed the company, but aren't we always glad when they are gone ;):D. Is the Alabama coffee mug still safe? LOL

Karl: The best way I can describe my incident with the puff ball trees and the rotary cutter is: a big blurred cat fight with fur flying everywhere. I still haven't got all the fibers picked out of the rest of the trees and layout. Hell, I'm still laughing about it. It was so QUICK!

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR
TO ALL!
​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Flo, and all, it seems that the ball is dropping on another year. It's time to reflect on our blessings. For some, just being able to be here amd having friends like all of you is blessing enough, at least for me.

It's been pretty much an up and down year here. But, I am thankful that the "ups" far out numbered the "downs".

It seems that as I grow older, many of my friends disappear, called to a Higher Place. But, the Good Lord always replaces them with folks like all of you(even Chris and lraK can be counted).

Thanks, all of you, for being who and what you are. Most of all thank you for allowing me to be a part of this group of hooligans, and misguided hobos, and taking me into your group.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

God Bless

Bob
 


Well i just got home from the hockey game, a decent game, phantoms put up a nice fight but the river rats have the experience. I did extremely well in water polo th
is morning, even though i fail to see what that has to do with track. Things are just kinda setting in that worlds changing around me, maybe its that blue moon or new years eve but ive been doing alot of thinking about our old camp and our new one and what ill leave behind by leaving.

HAPPY NEW YEARS
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top