Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dropping in quick to say everyone has a nice day
Heading to practice in a few, and its a whole -4* out, but it might get 20* later this afternoon

BTW how do i remove an attachment from a post?
 
Good morning folks

It was 20 F as rolled out onto the semi-empty roadways this morning. High will be 34 F.

I have been busy with all the Christmas things the past five days and also taking some needed time off from work. We had a very enjoyable and nice Christmas in our house.

On the train side of things I got a few Athearn vehicles and my son got an IHC GG1. He has spent a good portion of the time since Christmas running it. We did have one panicky moment when he came running upstairs declaring the GG1 was not running. I went down to the layout and we could not get it to run. After checking the track and connections we brought out the voltage tester and began testing sections of the track to no avail. Finally we tested the power pack and found it to be dead. We switched out the old MRC pack and connect the Bachmann EZ-Command Controller and the GG1 was back up and running. He also got a Jazz video camera and has been making videos of the GG1 running around the layout.

Speaking of cameras our current digital camera has been giving us issues for a while. We decided to replace it after my daughter’s inexpensive point and shoot camera started giving us better photos and was more reliable. My wife ordered a Cannon Rebel which is supposed to be delivered any day now.

I even got some modeling time in. I continued to clean off the workbench and organize things. I fixed a grab iron on B&O E8A and replaced a snow plow on a B&O GP40. Not much but it is a start.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Which rebel did you order? You'll love it. I got one last year and it's awesome.

I got a few vacation projects done myself. Replaced a blown decoder in one of my PA-1's, and put sound into one of my new Athearn SW-1500's. That was a shoe horn job, especially with all those darn light bulbs on the Espee light package, but it sounds really good. Got a few train goodies this year: the Tsunami that went into the SW-1500, a pair of 4-4-2 sleepers for the new City of LA I'm doing, a couple of those new Walthers laser kits, which are really cool BTW.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Hello

Got my nose into grain milling stuff---more things to muddle up the day with!:eek::D:D:D

Have some afternoon runnin' 'roun' to do -----

Have a good one---:D:D:D:D
 
Alan

It is the low end model. I think it is the XS.

I have the XSi. There is a newer model, the XTi, and an older XT I think, but they are not really low end cameras. The only difference is the camera body is plastic, where the EOS 40 and so forth are metal bodies. Not that big a deal unless you are making your living with it. It's a great camera. Make sure you go on Canon's website. They have power point type and video walk throughs of the camera's features. It's 12.2 mega-pixels, and has lots of high end feathres. You'll have lots of fun with it!
 
Morning All!

Well, my brother starts his journey from Wichita to Denver this morning. I am sure he is dreading it. I just hope it's not too painful and the weather is clear. That drive across Kansas in the winter can be a bear.

David...I work for Golden Bell Press. We used to publish RailModel Journal, but sold it last year. The only hobby journal we publish now is Model Cars Magazine. It is actually a fun publication. I think we still have some Athearn books on the shelves, but don't do anything with that magazine anymore.

Bob...When I took my EMT class, there was an entire chapter in the book on press related injuries. I work for a publishing company with in house presses. In all my years here, I can only recall one somewhat serious injury. One of the pressmen lowered a skid of paper onto his foot and smashed it pretty good. We also have a bindery and that is where most of the injuries (still not many) have taken place. The worst I saw was when someone's hand dropped into the heated gluepot used for binding. Her hand completely blistered up. I drove her to the ER and stayed with her while they treated it. Took quite a while to heal...as do most burns. They have had a few crushing injuries as well. Worst injury actually was when our driver saw a big guy hitting a woman across the street and told him to stop. The guy ran over and attacked our driver with a box cutter. Fortunately the driver was a pretty tough character and did some damage to the bad guy, who was just found guilty of attempted murder and is awaiting sentencing. Ahhhh....such is life at GBP! :p

Willis...I don't recall if I answered. Bubbles is about 95#. She is a cuddler and absolutely loves to be loved on She is happiest when she is leaning against me. Bob is right...she is not so dumb! She knows how to 'talk' me into giving her a treat and I am ALWAYS petting her...silly girl!

Hope everyone has a great day! It's supposed to bump 40 degrees today! WooHoo!


Sandy
 
Check out eBay. Don't do Ebay anymore. Getting my identity stolen twice was quite enough to keep me away from there forever. Both instances happened through PayPal.

If you are using DDR1 technology, rather than the newer DDR2 or DDR3(or is it SATA and SATA2?) parts should be like old small block Chevy parts......abundant and inexpensive.
Mine is DDR2. I made it plain to the tech at the computer shop I do business with That that was what I needed. I don't want to have to replace my memory sticks unless I absolutely have to. They have scads of the DDR2 main boards lining the shelves. Seems there's quite a demand for them.
 
Im home from practice a nice workout and my coach entered me into a new event.

Its awful cold out there right now so sally has her jacket on to go outside, that poor dog doesnt realize that to come inside, you should bark for us to hear and come get her.

Jim- lol isnt that the answer to everything when you ask what it takes like?

Sandy- how old is bubbles?, she seems like my dog sally, a big time cuddler, the dog even tries to sleep under the covers at night
Good luck with your brothers trip.
 
For youz peeps up north....Nature Coast Morning temp was 36* right now at 2pm we have a crisp 74*...... No snow, No Ice, No Cloud's and Just clear blue skys!
 


Hi everyone! We have a cold (51F:rolleyes:) rainy afternoon, ideal for a day in the depot. JIM, hang on to your snow forecast, well sort of. Now they are talking about a slight chance of snow showers/flurries for early Friday morning...you almost got it right:D.

Progress continues on my mountain scenery project with the top level (3) finished. The "puff" trees were finished Sunday and I sculpted and painted/stained the facings Monday. The ballast was put on the twin tracks yesterday and have started on the 2nd level forms today. It is all fun, but because of the awkward reach in some of the areas, the hot tub is getting some good use:rolleyes::D.

I wish you guys wouldn't mention the Canon Rebel. I want one sooo bad it hurts. My little and old camera just can't take shots much more than stills or close moving shots. My daughter made the mistake of telling me I could have my SIL's Rebel when he gets a newer model. Now I bug her constantly to give him a new one for a present. Didn't work for their Anniversary or this Christmas, but I am still hammering away:o:D.

Computers: I have made up my mind that when I replace my 6 y.o. Dell, I will go with a large screen laptop. They have come a long way with reasonable prices and it would be nice to have the mobility. Just don't know which is the best buy. I once heard that HP was the best, but now I'm hearing they have an issue with it crashing. Now I it's Dell or Toshiba. Oh well, it will be a while before I do anything.

Sandy: Occasionally, we do get bad boys in the hobby like Chris or old eccentrics like Larry, Karl, Jim, Barry, Bob, etc. Did I mention myself:eek:. Bubbles looks so cuddly and like something you would want in your bed on one of those very cold Colorado nights. Only 96lbs! she must not be very old??? A shame about your brother's break. It will take a lot of time even after the surgeries and later when cast is removed. Make sure he is encouraged to work hard in the physical therapy that will follow. I didn't with my one-bone, leg break and it took forever to get back to normal.;)

David: I have several articulates, but nothing like a 2-10-10-0...that's a monster machine. I love all of them: so much action with the moving parts and the huffing and puffing....... no flunky diseaseal with their mew-mew horns (actually, I have about 50/50 diesel/steam:D) Hey, you need to post some of the photos that you sent me on that guy's model airplane...the one with the incredible detail with handmade metal parts. OUTSTANDING CRAFTSMANSHIP!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:DROTFLMAO! let me post this while I can still laugh and tell on myself. First, let me explain what a puff ball tree is: It is made from pulling a small glob of polyester pillow stuffing and making a ball. This is glued down, painted black, and then fine turf foam is sprinkled and glued on. Ideal for the illusion of a forest from a distance.

I had a piece of luan that needed trimming before I could continue on with the new scenery. The adjoining scenery was covered in puff ball trees (not the new ones), but didn't seem a problem. I started my cut with a rotary cutter and then all of a sudden POOF; the air was filled with polyester fibers, floating all over half the layout. The fact that I have a circulating fan even spread them farther. My cutter locked up and when I could finally see through the cloud of fiber, the cutter was super wrapped with puff balls trees and about a foot long rope of polyester was still attached to the layout, sucking up more trees. It cleared an area of about two square feet before I could shut it down.

If I were now looking for a cloud covered hillside....I got it!:D:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed up until the sun came up. I got busy sorting out the "warehouse" of boxed trains(finally) and lost track of time. went to bed around 7:30 AM and woke up at 2:30 PM. I'm too old to be doing that kind of stuff any more. In my misspent youth, I could go for days with a minimum of sleep. Doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Any hoo, I am amazed at the "stuff" in some of these boxes. The boxes from the buddy with the new house had about (10) brass steam engines. Unfortunately, or should I say fortunately, none run real well. I cleaned lubed a couple up, set then on some EZ track that I had laying around(for the Christmas tree thing) an they seem to be coming around. Still a bit balky though. I probably need to do a bit more rubbing and apply a little more elbow grease to bring them up to snuff.

The brass on some seems a bit "tarnished"(read darker with oxidation), though not real bad. I will put the buffing pad on the Dremel and have at it.

There are a huge quantity of cars that I have never seen. All old. I know that I don't have these cars on my roster. Quite a few old ice reefers, stock cars, box cars, and cabooses. It looks as though the original owner modeled the 1930-50's era from the inventory. Most of the stuff will fit right in with my layout. Some of the roads are not compatible though. A fair amount of West Coast stuff. Sante Fe, UP, Great Northern....
There was even an older version of the Aero Train. It looks to be painted in the demonstrator colors, silver and red with no script or number.

And the parts!!!!!!! There must have been (6)boot boxes!!!!! That stuff will take days to sort, if not weeks.

Sandy, I love big dogs. Most of the dogs I've owned in my lifetime have been medium to large dogs, a chow, Border Collies.......... It was not until I was out on my own that I really started getting larger dogs. I've owned a Great Dane/Mastiff cross, an Irish Wolfhound, Old English Sheep Dog, And my favorite, a 135# Labrador Retriever. Yes, a 135# Lab!!! He was a pound puppy and probably the best dog I've ever owned. Definitely one of the best "flushing" dog I've ever hunted behind. He did have his negative side. He thought he was a "lap dog". And like your St. Bernard, a "lovey". And his tail should have been registered as a lethal weapon. Anything on the coffee table was used as a target for that wagging thing. At least I never had to dust that table.

We had to put him down at the age of 17. He hunted up until he was 15. I stayed with him in the room at the vet until he was gone. One of the saddest days in my life. A truer friend I've never had. I had a hard time with putting him down, but it was best. He developed arthritis in his back and hips, was loosing his sight and hearing..... was just plain getting old. The vet was amazed at how strong his heart and how toned he was. And when I told the vet how old he was, I thought he, the vet, was going to hit the floor. Still, the vet clinic was very compassionate and understanding with us.

David, one of the trains my late friend had in his collection, which I now have, was 4-6-6-6-6, a brass model. I know how much he paid for this engine, as we made a road trip to Milwaukee to a train show, and got snowed in for 2 days. WA-A-A-A-Y more than I would have ever spent. I could have put a down payment on a house. It has two motors driving the thing. The engine, including the tender must be close to 2-feet long and weigh 10#.

I also have other compound/articulateds, Mallets, T1's, Challengers, Uititahs(sp)....

Jim and Chris, we are scheduled for snow New Year's Eve. Temps today, so far, sit at a balmy 34*. So it goes in Hoosierland. I'd rather have snow than ice, that's a fact.

Heading out to the shop in a bit to cut down a couple of doors and start building a few dioramas. They won't be used on the layout, so there are a few "idears" I can experiment with. I am cutting them to the dimensions of 24"/30"/36"x72" depending upon the door size. Most of the doors are 32/36" doors. He brought over another 3 this morning while I was catching up on my nighttime slumber.

RFLSHIPMP!!! Rex, a good reason NOT to use "puffball" trees.

Well, the coffee cup needs filling and the table saw is calling my name. Catch ya all later.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rex Since you were brave enough to tell, I have to relate a similar power tools gone awry tale myself. A few weeks before Christmas this year, my 13 year old son and I were revamping a tree base to hold an artifical tree, plus a G scale train. Basicly its a 5 ft diameter plywood table about 18 inches tall. A large block of wood contains the center hole that holds the tree. Well the old hole was smaller than the new tree, so it needed to be enlarged. Well the size bit required (3/4") was too large for a normal drill, so out came big Momma. Not sure what name brand she is, she's too beat up, but it will take a full 1 inch shank and has 10 inch handles on each side. Anyway I had my son plug in an extension cord (25ft) and I started drilling, standing on the table. After drilling a little and bringing the bit out a few times to clear it, I dropped the bit for the final time, literally. Then one hand slipped, the other engaged the trigger lock as my balance failed and I was forces to step back off the table. Leaving the drill running in the hole, coiling its 8 ft cord and the 25ft extension cord around itself for what seemed like an eternity, but could have only been 3 seconds, before it yanked the plug out of the wall socket.
Meanwhile, every expletive I knew escaped from my mouth as I tried to grab the drill. Once it stopped, I looked at my son. His wide eyed panic look quickly turned to tears of laughter as he walked out of the shop, saying "awesome dude!" :p:D
Yes its true, the best power tool in the world should be between your ears!:D
 
Good aftrnoon all,
It's cool out here but nothing too cold, The temp is 44 to 46* and quite cloudy with some fairoy big Cumulus clouds over my location, with some to the West and a lot more going over toward the East of the foothill area and toward the higher elevations both to East and North.


Work on the C & S West Short Line has once again resumed with some risers being secured in place so the Upper line can push West and then North over toward the Rich hill mines and around it and then push farther North twoard a Coal mine at the Northern end.

To make progress form the Upper Horse Medow Depot area East has been a bit of challenge due to the lower track louping under it along with a switch at this point also that goes to a hidden storage yard that may wind up being useless once the layour is completed more??

I stayed up till about 4:30 Am myself like Bob and I feeling it now although I did get some sleep I think I need more.

So watch out when working on or near grades as you never know when an errant car may come wizzing by!

Time for more coffee, by for now.
 
Bob- Did i read that right, a 4-6-6-6-6??? :eek: id love to see pictures if you dont mind because that just blows my mind, so its almost like the Erie RR triplexes?

Jim- Your weather forecast hit the nail right on the head, 1in of the white stuff for tommorow around one, and ending with a total of 6-8inches when all is said and done.

Rex- assuming there still white, call it fog :D
 
Say Rex & Karl,

I think you both need to invest in a Laser to do your cutting/drilling?!! Be sure to get the one without a trigger lock and instant OFF!

Hey things happen, just glad no one was hurt, it good to laugh at ones self every now and then, it good medicine. I've pulled my share of blunders too and will relate some when they come to mind.

Later
 


Bob- Did i read that right, a 4-6-6-6-6??? :eek: id love to see pictures if you dont mind because that just blows my mind, so its almost like the Erie RR triplexes?


Hi Matt, I'm not trying to answer for Bob but I was just looking at some of the larger Loco's last night in an old biginners guide RR book I had from years back on the steam Loco's, and those big ones sure are strange looking alright!

From what I read they were a considerable failure due to the fact the Loco couldn't produce enough steam to supply sufficent amounts to the third set of steam chests to be effective.


Stay Warm,
David
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top