Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7147.html

Here want a few more to add to the collection down there?

Chris- I didnt think florida ever got below 40-50*.

Ken- Yet? Expecting a visit from Chirs? :D

Well i did find some open water here, problem being right now is that it just happens to be that i have to traverse some ice to get there, i would be comfortable staying back maybe 100yds from the edge of the ice, but with an extra 50 lbs, im very weary of it. My dad made a deal with me though, he knows i know all about the risks of hypothermia and the symptoms, so he said if i can find some open water im allowed to go, but ive gotta jump in first so i know what to expect when i roll over. :rolleyes: looks like im dry-docked for awhile.

Well its 7* right now, high of 13 today with maybe some snow on the way. Track in an hour then looks like ill be heading to the mall again. Have a good one everyone.
 
Good Morning

We got about 8" of the white stuff through some snowsqualls that set up yesterday evenin' so's I had to get the ol' snowblower out and do the driveway of mine and a couple of older ladies who still live in the own places.

Today is going to be see if'n we get more of the dang stuff---it be rather cold at -10C with the windchill at -16C:eek:

Have a good one--:D:D
 


Computer crashed first thing this morning. I had to another Windows setup. The sound drivers won't load, the display drivers won't load, the PCI bus won't initialize and the onboard USB ports are dead. Looks like the main board has had the computer version of a stroke. I put in an add-on display card so I at least have default video. No, the drivers for it won't load either. Remember the PCI problem? It's a PCI video board. Looks like a new computer may be the lower cost choice this time around. All my drives are ATA 100 IDE and finding IDE capable boards is like hunting for hens teeth. To rebuild the current system I would need to get a new mainboard, at least one SETA hard drive because I seriously doubt I'm going to find an IDE board and a SETA compatible CD drive. That all adds up to major expense.
 
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7147.html

Here want a few more to add to the collection down there?

Chris- I didnt think florida ever got below 40-50*.

Ken- Yet? Expecting a visit from Chirs? :D

Well i did find some open water here, problem being right now is that it just happens to be that i have to traverse some ice to get there, i would be comfortable staying back maybe 100yds from the edge of the ice, but with an extra 50 lbs, im very weary of it. My dad made a deal with me though, he knows i know all about the risks of hypothermia and the symptoms, so he said if i can find some open water im allowed to go, but ive gotta jump in first so i know what to expect when i roll over. :rolleyes: looks like im dry-docked for awhile.

Well its 7* right now, high of 13 today with maybe some snow on the way. Track in an hour then looks like ill be heading to the mall again. Have a good one everyone.

South florida rarely dips below 40* I live 40 miles north of Tampa....we can get as low as the teen's! It's rare but it happens.....back in the 90's we got snow on christmas eve! The good thing if you kayak one of our many spring filled rivers during the winter the water never dips below 70* no matter how cold the air is!
 
Morning, everyone.

Jeffrey, it's just not worth patching up those old home built jobs now. Assuming you still have a good monitor, you can get a nice tower from Tiger Direct for $300. Way faster, bigger hard drives, and generally more reliable. I really like my $250 netbook if you want to get a laptop.

Barry, I wondered if you were really going to get some winter up there. Sounds like it has arrived. This is going to be a cold new year for most of us.

Matt, your dad is very wise. I think jumping in the open water one time would disabuse you of the notion of winter kayaking. :eek: If you had a wet suit or survival suit, it might be worth it, but just freezing to death isn't much fun no matter how much you like kayaking. Regardless of what Chris tells you, it gets below freezing in his neck of the woods every winter. About the only part of Florida that never sees freezing temperatures is Key West, and that's a long way from Chris. Oh, yeah, Cornish Game Hens are basically miniature chickens so they taste just like...chicken...but better. ;)

David, St. Bernard's are supposedly one of the most intelligent breeds of dogs. I've hear other stories like your grandfather's.

Rex, it's not looking as hopeful for snow Wednesday/Thursday except for maybe a few hours Wednesday night. It all depends on how much warm air advection we get from the coast. However, Sunday and Monday are looking really interesting. The models are having trouble with the Gulf low this far out but I think we are being set up for a blast of cold air and a pretty good shot of moisture at the same time. If everything comes together, you'll need the plows in T-Town.

Sandy, that's bad news about your brother. I've almost done the same thing a few times working attics. At least it sounds like all fractures and no serious internal problems. 15 feet is quite a drop, especially when you're not expecting it. Bubbles is certainly a big girl. :D Her chew toy is about the same size as two of my cats.

Clear and chilly here, with an overnight low of 29 and we're only at 43 now. The sun's out but you'd never know it when stepped outside. We're getting pretty steady 15 mph winds from the north, so the windchill is about 36. I'm still holding out for snow some time this week. We certainly aren't going to go much above 50 any time soon and probably not above 40 by the weekend. It's hard to believe I'll be walking around in shorts and sweating my butt off in a couple of months. :rolleyes:
 
G'day all, 34F here today and I guess that'll be the high point. It's staying quiet around here just me the wife and dog.
Sure seems like there's a lot of grief for this time of year, and Larry I can feel your pain, my youngest sister passed away last July, liver cancer which spread to other organs. When there was no hope of prolonging life Palliative care took over (I'll assume that is the same as Hospice) which was a Godsend as Jim says. You have our prayers to cope with this trying time.

Sandy that is a beautiful dog. What does it weigh? I've only seen a few of them in my life time and they were big but kind and gentle creatures.

Ah! the unwanted critters, the only ones we have so far are the northern coyotes and now a "black leg Tic" said to carry the Lyme disease. The tics are still in the Southern end of the Prov. but no doubt like bad news will spread fast.

Jeffery, if it wasn't for bad luck I don't think you'd have any luck at all. However you seem to be able to cope anything that comes your way. That says a lot, so hang in there.

Have to go and make lunch now, so Y'all have a great day.
Cheers
Willis
 
Ah! the unwanted critters, the only ones we have so far are the northern coyotes and now a "black leg Tic" said to carry the Lyme disease. The tics are still in the Southern end of the Prov. but no doubt like bad news will spread fast.


Willis

Well Willis, I'll let the rest of the Floridians know to start sending you our excess Pythons, Large agressive Lizards, and freak'n LOVE BUGS! Let you guys deal with them! BTW......... The Love Bugs are the worst!:mad:
 
Went out and priced a new main board and processor today. The board (IDE capable) is $54 and the processor (2.6 dual-core Intel) is $81. Comes to 146.48 with tax included. I'll have to spread that over 2 or 3 months.
 
Chris, I thought "blue hairs" driving in the fast lane and "snowbirds" were the Sunshine State's biggest problems.

Digging in some of the plethora of train boxes I've gotten over the past few months. Many in need of repair. Looking for a caboose that is being sought in another thread on the site. I really need to start thinning out the herd here. There's NO WAY I'll need all of this rolling stock!!!! I'm venturing a guess that I now have well over 4000 cars. Yeh, I know. That's WAY TOO MANY. Most of this stuff is OLD. They hadn't even heard of RP25 back in the day most of this stuff was made. And almost all of the Athearn engines are the "Hi-Fi" variation. I think I may run out of rubber bands. I've already used all of the better half's sewing machine oil.

Still have the "crystalline precipitation" on the ground here, temp is 28, sunny. Snow and sun make my eyes hurt. So, I had to go to the boat and get my Wayfarers. At least, it's not ice. That stuff has a way of making my butt meet the sidewalk. Not a good thing in my decrepit state.

Nice dog, Sandy. I've had my fair share of "big" dogs, including an Irish Wolfhound. We've got two Boston Terriers now. Hannah is about 18# and OD(Other Dog, but we call him Otis) comes in at about 32#. A mere snack for you St. Bernard. If any of you need a "fish finder", I may consider renting Otie out. Just place him on the bow of your boat and he'll put you on the fish. No joke, he's absolutely amazing!!! You'll need to have some chicken as a treat for him though. Something Angela's father started. Hannah is good for keeping the fish in the boat. She won't bite them, but she holds them down with her feet when the start flopping around on the deck. Even those "toothy" ones. She does have a problem with 40" Muskie though.

Starting a diorama using an old luaun door. I'm cutting it down to 24"x72" and installing a bit of support for the ones I'm cutting out. I've got (8) doors given to me by a neighbor who is remodeling his house. Angela rolled her eyes when she came into the shop and asked what I was going to do with them. I told her my plan, she just rolled her eyes and said, "Supper's ready". I think that they will be a good diversion for me when I start rebuild the damaged modules from the "real" layout.

Jeffrey, I had my "main" computer commit hari kari a while back. Using an old Dell at the moment. It's old technology and needed some TLC to get back into shape. I had stolen parts from it for the grandkids' 'puter and needed to replace that stuff. Then, i had HORRIBLE problems with it. I spent 6 hours scanning and deleting malware, viruses, and Trojan downloaders. Running good now, but I miss my machine.

Thankfully, the "better" unit was still under warranty. Gateway should fix the problem. It seems that it puked the motherboard, power supply, and maybe a couple of other things. The tech thought a power surge was the problem. That can't happen as the computer was plugged into a line condition/battery backup/surge protector. I think a harmonic was the problem. A harmonic is a nasty little deal where the sine wave of the electricity is either 1/2 or x2 the normal wavelength. Nasty little creatures they are as they may slip through the line conditioner undetected. They can do some serious damage to sensitive electronics.

Gotta let the dogs out. Later.

Bob
 


Went out and priced a new main board and processor today. The board (IDE capable) is $54 and the processor (2.6 dual-core Intel) is $81. Comes to 146.48 with tax included. I'll have to spread that over 2 or 3 months.

Check out eBay. I bought a new 500w power supply for $20, normally about $75. I upgraded one of my old computers for the grandkids this past summer. Upgraded the RAM to 2g, added a video card(an InVidea 8400GT) at the same time and didn't spend $120. I'd almost bet you could get the parts for half of the cost.

If you are using DDR1 technology, rather than the newer DDR2 or DDR3(or is it SATA and SATA2?) parts should be like old small block Chevy parts......abundant and inexpensive. Even the newer DDR2 technology is becoming much more available and cheaper. My personal computer, the one that headed south, is only 2 years old and, even though it has been upgraded, it is considered obsolete by many. Still, it is faster, and more flexible, with the upgrades, than most of the newer machines. The only thing left "stock" was the motherboard, the original 250g HD(I added a 750g internal HD for storage and keep the programs and such on the 250g drive) and the processor. Really made the machine a comet as far as speed.

Now, if I could just figger out what is wrong with the printer........

Bob
 
Evening All.

I talked with my brother this morning. He sounded as though the pain meds had not quite worn off. He said he pretty much "pulverized" his ankle. He fell from the attic and landed sideways on his leg. I think it was reminiscent of the Thiesman break. He and my SIL are heading home tomorrow and he will be having surgery in the near future. The doctor told him that it will be at least 2 months before he can put any weight on it and probably more like 4 months. Poor Bill!

Bubbles says 'thanks' for all the compliments. She is truly a precious dawg. I don't know that she is terribly bright, but she makes up for it by being such a sweetie. She weighs about 95 lbs. She isn't really huge, but when she gets the 'puppy runs' and is racing up and down the hallways, you want to be out of range. She loves to stop short and slam into me. 'Bout knocks me over every time!

Bob...good to have you back! You know...I came to this forum to gather some information for marketing a MRR magazine for the company I work for. I had this cynical notion that grown men who 'played' with trains were either Gomez Addmas or pathetic figures who sat in their moldy basements watching their trains go 'round and 'round. Boy! Was I ever wrong!!!
Folks in this forum are...normal. For the most part. :p Trains aren't their life, but they seem to get a lot of joy out of the build and collecting. I am glad, Bob, that you decided to continue enjoying this (actually pretty cool) hobby. ;)

Whew...way too wordy this evening. Can you tell I am avoiding real work? Yuck! Have to strip my desktop and I dread it. Oh well...I am off to slave away!
Hope everyone has a dandy PM!

Sandy
 
]
Folks in this forum are...normal. For the most part. :p

Pssssst, Chris,,,,,,she's talkin about YOU! :p

Heeeheee! Evening all!!

Sandy, After watching the Theisman break live, and a gagillion replays since, all I can do is wince at the thought of it. Hope your Bro is on the mend, soon! We also had a St.Bernard for a time. Nicest, most dim-witted dog you could ask for. ;) Seriously, ours was a dear sweet dog, but could fall down the basement steps (usually chasing a cat to "play") daily.

Jeffrey, sorry to hear about your puter probs. I guess I've been very lucky. My 11 year old Compaq just keeps chuggin along. Everything backed up daily on an external hard drive, just in case!

Chris I hear Florida was considering a bounty on wild caught constrictors. Seems they believe a 12 ft Python is more than a match for a like sized gator. Might make a nice 2nd job!:rolleyes:

boB Shall we stay tuned for ebay listings from you?? :D

Ken It's not the snake heads that bother me at Liberty lake, its the d***heads that leave the beer bottles broken on the shore. There are areas that you need combat boots to walk! Let alone fish!

I heard today that one of our competitors at work lost a technician yesterday. Somehow a JD 322 skid steer fell on the poor soul and killed him. I went out to brief my crew on the occurance and the informal meeting turned into a 30 minute safety meeting. I'm sure that with our stores being in close proximity to each other, we may have unexpected visits from OSHA in the near future. :( Then 5 minutes later I see an employee riding a propane powered forklift and lighting a cigarette! And they wonder why my blood pressure spikes in the late afternoon!! Good greif!

Oh well, I'm off til the 4th, and may do a little househunting tomorow. Time for a place with a bigger basement and only 1 flight of steps in the house!!:D
 
Florida does have a open season on Pythons and constrictors. I'm just suprised that Boot manufactures are not rounding these suckers up by the tons for the skins to make boot's, wallet's, Belt's and what ever the skins are used for! also suprised that pet shop owners arn't tring to catch these thing for resale!
 
Sandy, a buddy crushed his thigh in a press many years ago. The fool was IN the press, tried to "jog" it down to check clearances and the safety failed. He almost lost his life as well as his leg and was 18 months trying to learn to walk again.

I was wounded in Nam in the ankle. The bullet had ricocheted and slammed into my ankle pulverizing the bone. I spent some time in the VA system before seeking a private sector doctor to fix me up. As good as new now.(And now you understand why I oppose Gov't Health Care. Been a part of what could be termed as such and know what it is like. Pills, pills and more pills along with the, "See ya in a couple of weeks" from the VA. And I almost had to learn a second language.)

And no dog is stupid. They get us to bow down to all of their wishes and whims it seems. So who is really the stupid ones here?

Karl, I'll give you a "mebbe" on the eBay thing. I usually offer my wares to the sites I frequent first. You'll probably see quite a bit of rolling stock and a few of the older engines. Some may be in a bit of disrepair, needing couplers, wheelsets and the like. And of course, the inevitable "grab bag" of "stuff" to kitbash.

I just found, and I do mean just found, a brass 4-6-4 in need of repair. I cannot find a manufacturer's mark anywhere. The motor has had the wires ripped off to the point that they are non-existent. I cannot locate the pickups either. Other than the mentioned problem, the engine seems to be in outstanding shape.

lraK, it surely seems that the dreaded disease of "cranial rectitus" abounds everywhere. It affects nearly every facet of life. Too bad that the afflicted's actions affect the rest of us in a negative way.

By the way, I have one of those Compaq's myself. It does need a new power supply. But, up until it toasted itself, it was one great computer, though a tad slow. I've thought of tearing it apart and giving it an upgrade. But, I have too many irons in the fire already. One of these days.......

Ken, on a fishing expedition to DC and the Potomac a few years ago, all we could catch were snakeheads. The DNR guys there told us that it was illegal to throw them back. When we docked, we must have had 50 or more on the deck of the boat. I hear that they are good eating though a bit boney. They are live feeders so that makes sense. Most live eaters are tasty, perch, bluegill, walleye, pike........

Back to sorting trains. The coffee pot just alerted me it's ready.

Bob
 
Good afternoon guys.

It's on the cool side but no snow where I at fortunately, most generally I'm above the fog and below the snow but it's still quite cold. Temp righrt now is 38* and will probably
drop lower tonight.


Bob, I'm glad to see you get back into Railroading, it's a shame your other layout was vandalized, I was hopping that you could at least use some of it to rebuild a new one.

How large was your former layout anyway? To have the number of cars you do is quite extraordinary to say the least! I'd say that you have a sizeable fortune tied up in rolling stock alright.

I was just looking last night at a bunch of old wheels and axels form before the RP25 contour came out. Makes great detail for scrap wheels!
What is your plan for your new layout?



Rex, I was looking through an old book I have showing many of the older steam Locos and many were very large to say the least. Do you have a Virginian Loc which is a 2-10-10-0 on your layout, that looks like a hugh Loco and even biger than the Big Boy which is only a 2-8-8-4



Sandy & Jeffery, I just went through a similiar situation with my prior computer and learned something the hard way and quite costly at that. What you need to be concerned about are any extra standoffs and especially the round flad headed support studs. I thought that these were positioned like all the other things on the mother board like the mounting holes so that an ATX style board should not only fit but everything was already pre aligned for us so it was an easy drop in, fasten and connect the various wires that only go in one place but Not so.

It turns out that many of what I thought were support studs actually wound up shorting
things out evidentualy. So only use just the actual studs that the MB is fastened to and no others.

To try and stay ahead of the game the newer ATX style MB do use the higher speed DDR3 memory which is over three times faster than the old, I had 400Mhz prior and the new is 1333 Mhz and comes in 2 GB per card, and sure makes images appear a lot faster with a higher speed graphics card.

So if your assembling your systems as I did be cautious.


Well, I'm getting excited to start extending both the Upper main line & Lower main line on my layout to get more operation and move closer to getting the main line completed.

Good evening and I hope tomorrow and the rest of the week goes good for you.
 
A cord of Interest!

Evening All.

..You know...I came to this forum to gather some information for marketing a MRR magazine for the company I work for.

Sandy


Say Sandy, I was curious what MRR magazine/company do you work for, I don't know I ever heard you say but then again I've been out of touch for a while too.


I'd have to say we're a prety normal bunch of guys that just enjoy Scale Model Railroading to one extent or another. After all it's one of the few hobbies that allows a person to experience a considerable amount of various skills dealing with a wide variety of subjects and to the extent you want to in most cases.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Ain't much normal about sucking Jim Beam through your nose with a straw. At least, if Mr. Policeman asks you if you've been drinking, you can say, "Nope!"

I really don't know what that has to do with anything. I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top