Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffery, on the 1-10 scale, how's your pain today? I hope it's better. Maybe you're a tougher guy than me me bit acute pain that just keeps going on is really debilitating. I had to laugh about your internet connection being too slow to use the phone to call and complain. Charter wanted to sell us a bundle that included phone service. I asked the salesperson if that was a plot so we couldn't call and complain when the cable went down...again. When we get bad storms here, we lose cable and cell phone service almost immediately. There's no way I'd be without a conventional land line. It's either that or hoping I can get through on a phone patch on my ham radio. :eek:
Usually it's between 3 and 7. Due to all the activity this morning it was between 6 and 10+. Besides the voip phone the only other communications I have are my 16 channel fire dept 2-way handheld radio and the 2-way 911/police radio in my car. It's an old 10 channel Ericson GE.
 
Hiya Gang!
Flo,,,,,,,please anything but rudebagas!!! They give me the wind something fierce!!!!!;)
I can't blame my scarcity on the holidays ,,,,at least not yet! Been knee deep in projects this week. :D

Project 1 is a Mantua Mikado kit that was given to me by a friend. He has had the kit for years, just never got around to it. The chassis is now built and tested, ebay has surrendered another boiler off a Pacific, and the new tender is on its way, along with a scad of detail parts When I'm done, a B&O Q3 Mikado it shall be!

Project 2 is a total overhaul of my favorite axe,(guitar for old folks like Jim) a 25 year of Ibanez Lazer. It's now stripped and soon to be refinished in candy red & wine. I couldn't find factory pickups for it, but, since it was a copy of a Stratocaster, I did manage to score a new pick guard complete with pickups and all the electronix from a Stratocaster off ebay!

Project 3 came home from work with me. Its a backlit display case, with a hinged plexiglass front. About 31/2 ft wide and 6 feet tall. Big enough, with more shelves added , to hold another 50 HO locos. Best part, it was free!!:D

Holiday prep hasn't started yet. I usually dont start til the wife's birthday on the 13th, then its a mad scramble!

Jim, over 10,000 post now??? Last I checked, Methusala was only up to 9,500!!:rolleyes:
Rex Be careful on them bikes, I would hate to think you would get lost when riding one, cuz then you would be Gone with the Schwinn!:p
Jeffrey Stay off the foot, stay off the foot, stay off the foot!!

I'm recommending the chicken pot pie for the rest of you, makes ya warm inside, sticks to your ribs, and wont give you the wind!!!
cept maybe Chris!!:rolleyes::D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Karl, EVERYTHING gives Chris wind... That's how he gets those lawns done so quick!

Jim, don't feel so bad about the 10,000 posts. I have almost 15,000 on another forum I frequent. I keep getting vacation offers from the Get-A-Life Foundation.:rolleyes:
 


Jeffrey, all our public safety comms are still on conventional VHF here, so I do have the local PD, sheriff, and FD's programmed into my ham portable for "end of the world" communications. If Alabama really moves to the 700 MHz trunked system they're talking about, I can kiss that form of back up communications goodbye, along with about $30 million of my tax money. :mad: That GE mobile must be approaching antique status. I haven't seen one for years, but they were built like tanks. Now, stay off that foot! :)

Karl, my grandma told me rutabagas are good for you. Seriously, she used to have at least one a day. That may account for the strange smell at grandma's house. :D Sounds like your B&O Mike project will be nice when it's done. Same thing with that guitar thingy. I never get free anythings, especially display cases. :(

Terry, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. ;)

Still raining here but the temperature is up to 50 as we are finally starting to get some warmer air from the Gulf. All the heavy stuff is staying offshore so far but the barometer is dropping like a rock. Might be an interesting night, depending on what track the low takes as it moves inland.
 
Terry, remember we tried to give you "A LIFE" transplant...........Your body rejected it!:eek: I'm afraid Jim's body would reject "A LIFE" Transplant too!;)

Karl, we made some Turkey Stew and I had gas that even the Dog left the room! God, help ya if I get a hold of beans!:eek::eek::eek:







This evening we should be getting a good line of rain comming! Our typical winter weather.......A few Christmas's back a couple of Tornados touched down to ruin peoples christmas eve! They (The news) says that this coold front should produce some strong stormes!:eek:
 
Jeffrey, all our public safety comms are still on conventional VHF here, so I do have the local PD, sheriff, and FD's programmed into my ham portable for "end of the world" communications. If Alabama really moves to the 700 MHz trunked system they're talking about, I can kiss that form of back up communications goodbye, along with about $30 million of my tax money. :mad: That GE mobile must be approaching antique status. I haven't seen one for years, but they were built like tanks. Now, stay off that foot! :)
I can't be off my feet all the time, unless you know of some way that I could levitate. That wouldn't be easy with 254 pounds. I have to be on my feet to move from the bedroom where the TV is to the front room/layout room where the computer is (also where the kitchen is) and I have to be able to get to the bathroom which is situated in between.:D
 
Jeff I used to know some people--key on "used to know"---who claimed that chanting something like "om madmi padmi hum" or summat would get them levitated.:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: I never tried that--thought them a little odd--:eek::cool::cool::)

------------------------------------------

Good Morning

Seems a little busier in here---this is a good thing--:D:D:D

Weather up here is going to be interesting--although nowhere near is problematic as where you AL guys are--We're going to be cloudier and then, in the evening, get about 1.5" of rain while tomorrow get some more flurries with lotsa wind:rolleyes:

I also gots some runnin' 'roun' today. Hopefully I'll get some ballasting done later----:eek:

Have a good one guys---:D:D:D
 
Jeff I used to know some people--key on "used to know"---who claimed that chanting something like "om madmi padmi hum" or summat would get them levitated.:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: I never tried that--thought them a little odd--:eek::cool::cool::)
I don't put much stock in that myself. I'm Chickamauga Indian, not Asian Indian.


Good morning. It's 45 and cloudy. The high will be around 50 and it will be cloudy. In my trailer it's a pleasant 70 with 65% humidity.

Not much on the schedule for today. I have to go to town to get a money order and to get gas for the car but that's about it. My ankle isn't hurting so much this morning. On a 1-10 scale yesterday it was 10+. Right now it's 1-2. At the moment I'm waiting for my Vancomycin iv bottle to drain then I can get on with my daily activities, like getting breakfast. If anybody calls today wanting help in moving this or that the answer is going to be a very firm 'No!' unless they're willing to make it worth going through the pain. That doesn't come cheap as my sister can tell you. She has the restaurant receipts to prove it. I usually avoid potatoes in any form and most other starchy foods as they blow my blood sugar levels way out. However, I can have all the meat I want, with the exception of fried dishes like chicken, fish, chicken fried steak, etc. I really enjoy top sirloin and pork ribs.

PC020231.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

I sacrificed some train time yesterday in order to complete our Christmas shopping. I love being able to shop on a Tuesday instead of the weekend. You get the stores to yourself. It took quite a few hours, but we managed to get most of it done. Now I don't have to go to those stores until January!

I haven't moved very far on the layout lately. Things have been so busy with the Holidays, I haven't had the time. Oh well, once Christmas is past we'll have a few months of ice cold 'inside time'.:) I'll get plenty done while waiting for spring!

Have a great day everyone!
 
Good morning folks

It was 36 F this morning as I headed out. High will be 54 F and are expecting a soaking rain starting this afternoon.

Last night was music lessons for the kids and we took my son to get a suit. We also continued the Christmas decorating frenzy.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Atta boy Tom! Your boy's first suit, what a special time!:D;) I think everyone should where a suit all of the time. Of course, my opinion is a little skewed compared to most.:)
 
Hey All!

Brrrrrrrrrrr! It's so flippin' cold this AM! It was about 17 when I left home. Fortunately I left at 5:00 so the traffic was not too bad. Snow was predicted and it did hit. It was sliiiiiiick! It's about 23 miles from my house to the office and I never went over 45 mph. I could feel the lack of traction all the way to work. Fun, fun, fun!

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well after the holiday 'weekend'. 'Cept Jeffrey, who we are all keeping an eye on! Jeffrey...take care of that foot!!!! :( It sounds so painful!

Corey...I haven't even STARTED on my shopping and here you are nearly done! I do have some things picked out...just not picked UP.

Rex...just spoke with my sister-in-law about their new puppy. They had to put Champy, their GR down a few months ago and now have an order in for a puppy (or two) that should be born in January. I can hardly wait! I will be hanging around their house all the time!~ :D

Jim...All done with the decorations? My neighbors are way ahead of me this year. Their house looks lovely. My sister and I have made plans to get together in the next couple of weeks to take Bubbles (St Bernard) out to see the lights. Bubs LOVES Christmas lights. She sits at the car window simply fascinated. (Actually, it's probably the car ride that she finds so thrilling...the little goof!)

Karl...What a deal on the display case. Just the right price! :p Cool!

I hope everyone takes it easy today...It's freakin' slick out! ;)

Sandy
 
Sandy, Funny You mentioned Slick Road Conditions! Here in the South we Have Black Ice every time it rains. People assume just because the COLD white stuff isn't on the ground they speed up forgeting all about the Oils in the road floating to the surface when it rains! 10 min. after the rain starts safe bet 1 in 1000 get in a bad car wreck! our EMT's cringe everytime it starts to rain, I live near a bad intersection that I can hear the wrecks no sooner they clean up one another happens minutes after that!:rolleyes: Sometime the EMT's a Cops Sit near these intersections knowing It's going to happen:rolleyes:...... Funny the longer we go between rains the worst the road conditions get when it does rain! I just wish People would Get Smarter and Drive Smarter! Fat chance of that happening!LOL's
 
I just wish People would Get Smarter and Drive Smarter! Fat chance of that happening!LOL's
A lot of the problem isn't so much road conditions (many blame it on that). A lot of the problem is people yapping away on cell phones and paying little or no attention to what they're doing. We had a crash here in which the driver of the vehicle involved was on the phone describing to his buddy what he was watching on the Playboy channel while he was driving (illegal to watch TV while driving in this state) and was also involved in the task of eating breakfast. When you're driving you should be driving, not yapping on the phone, not watching TV, not eating breakfast. This guy was doing all three at once. When did he have time to look out the windshield? Apparently none since he never saw the house he ran into until he was in the middle of the living room. Thank God nobody was home at the time!
 
Chris...I experienced the joys of driving on ice when I lived in NC. Yuck! I could not believe how thick it gets. The trees looked beautiful all covered in ice, the the roads were a different matter.
An interesting mis-communication happened during that icy weather in NC. I complained to my brother that my car just wouldn't defrost before I arrived at my destination. He told me to turn on my air conditioning and that would help remove some of the moisture in the air and my windows would defrog. It did help and when he asked me about it later I told him that it worked...but I almost FROZE TO DEATH! He looked at me as only an older brother can look at a brain damaged little sister and said "did you turn the heat on?" I said that I didn't because he had told me use the air conditioner. He said I should have turned the temp to hot THEN turned on the air. Duh! Well...he didn't tell me THAT!!! Sheesh! Air conditioning is supposed to be COLD!

Jeffrey...A law just passed here in Colorado that makes texting while driving illegal (Perhaps even dialing which is still up for debate) and teenagers cannot talk on the phone while driving. I guess tickets are being issued all over the place! I rarely talk on my phone while in the car. I need to focus :D TV's should not even be accessible to the driver of a vehicle!!! That's nuts!


Sandy
 
Chris...the problem we have with this type of weather is that yesterday it was in the 50's. It started to snow in the evening and the temp plummeted to the single digits. So the first moisture landed on warmer streets, froze and then was covered with champagne powder. Folks who aren't used to it think that they are driving on 2 inches of snow forgetting that there is a layer of ice under that. That snow slicks up that ice pretty quickly. We also had some drifting snow this AM so that iced...the ice. I am dreading the drive home already :(
 
It is amazing how many computer batteries got recharged yesterday.
That must be why we finally got some activity around here.:D

Jeffery- just in case nobody has mentioned it in the last 10 seconds, take care of that foot.
I really admire your pain tolerance. I could not do half the things you do if I had your foot problems, much less deal with your other medical conditions. I'm glad I don't have to try.:o My main problem is a face that scares small children and causes dogs to howl. :confused:

Sandy- Alabama has three versions of snow. Every 10 years, we get a version of what you would call "snow flurries". Yesterday morning was 28 degrees F, and the heavy frost made everything look like it had a light coating of snow. Today was more normal at 49 degrees F and the "liquid snow" is filling the leaf-choked drainage ditches. Tomorrow....who knows!

Glad to have everyone back in the coffee shop. Don't forget to tip your waitress!
 
Jeffery- just in case nobody has mentioned it in the last 10 seconds, take care of that foot.
I really admire your pain tolerance. I could not do half the things you do if I had your foot problems, much less deal with your other medical conditions. I'm glad I don't have to try.:o My main problem is a face that scares small children and causes dogs to howl. :confused:
Dealing with pain is like having to look at an ugly woman all day. You get used to it to a degree.



Well, I've been to town, got the money order I needed and sent it off to the party that wants it, sent off a payment for the co-pay on all the antibiotics I've been using, picked up refills on 5 of my meds, got gas for the car and came back home. Now my ankle hurts. I think I'll go lay down for a while. That's enough for one day.
 
Jeffery you are always helping your parents and sister maybe once ia a while you should ask them to do some of the running around you do to help you stay off of that foot and ankle. When I feel bad I ask my daughter or wife to do some of my running for me so I can heal quicker.
 


Jeffery you are always helping your parents and sister maybe once ia a while you should ask them to do some of the running around you do to help you stay off of that foot and ankle. When I feel bad I ask my daughter or wife to do some of my running for me so I can heal quicker.
I would, but my father works all the time to keep the insurance for my mother going, my mother is a virtual invalid who seldom gets out and has to be watched when she does. My sister works all the time as does my niece and my nephew, well, he's in his own world.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top