Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Boy, you poor guys from Indiana to New york are really going to get it. I think this time the wather guessers are right. 16-20 inches by Sunday sounds about right and I'm sure all those wind blown drifts will be downright purdy...as long as you have milk, bread, and power. :)

Phillip, I was indeed, with my mom. That and my paramedic training helps me understand a bit of what you and your wife are going through. It will work out fine in the end but there will be a few bumps in the road. Bone repair surgery has advanced so much in the last 20 years that patients that would have been invalids are now up and clogging the aisles at Walmart. :D
 
morning all,
Jim thats my daughter outside her pre-school, great grandad and his children also went here around 1880 - 1910
 
12-15-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
 


Good Morning Bill !!! Well it's time to batten down the hatches, Winter Storm Warning for our part of New York from 10:00 PM tonight till 7:00 AM Monday Morning blowing and drifting snow and about 14 inches of the white stuff. Well I was here for the Blizzard of 77 and that was one whopper of a storm that lasted 4 days . But this time I don't have to try to get to work in it . Phillip I know what your wife is going through . I had both my hips operated on and when it comes to pain there is nothing like having your bones scraped. Also my wife had her back operated on and then the Doctors said wait a minute she also needs her hip replaced . Well two years later she's pain free but has a problem with her bladder . So in the end hopefully she will be better . Well gonna go get some gas for the snowblower so You all have a nice day !~!!
 
Hey Flo, I'll have the eggs and bacon with a cup of coffee.
Oh and some toast with jelly too please.
Doin what Paul said, battening down the hatches.
Have a great day all!:)
 
Wel the white fluffy has started. Been coming down for an hour now and I am not looking forward to it. Our Family Christmas gathering has been postponed. I t was supposed to happen Sunday but Vicki, our youngest has to travel an hour to get here so we decided to be safe and told her to stay home. We don't need kids and grandkids stuck in the snow. Parties come and go but grandkids are forever one the most important parts of our life's. I still get to go to the True Value for my shift today. If it gets to nasty looking I will head home early. If the winds pick up I may not be able to get out in the morning for church. I am sure God will understand if I can not make it this one Sunday. I have not missed Sunday Mass but about three times that I can remember, the last time I missed was Mothers Day in 2006. We got up to get ready for church and we had no water so I got busy and repaired/replaced the pump. Bought the new pump and installed it and we still had no water. The problem was in the wiring. After spending over $500 for the pump and all the parts and pieces the wire had broken under a concrete slab, but that was OK as the old pump was 20 years old and not as strong as the new one. We have the best water pressure we have ever had and if we had the problem now we would not have the money to fix it. God does work in mysterious ways. He always knows what is best for us if we recognize it or not. Enjoy the weekend folks I plan to.
 
8"-12"........thats what the weather man is saying now. Yesterday it was 1"-3" by sundown and 6"-10" total, but we already have an inch now, and we had nothing yesterday.

MORNING ALL!

Looking out the window this morning I see this!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Picture124.jpg

Looks like a fun day!

Still taking care of the wife. She's resting more comfortably now. Gonna see if I can get some schoolwork done.

BTW Jim,....I knew I was right about you!

So whats up with you all?

Phillip I know what your wife is going through . I had both my hips operated on and when it comes to pain there is nothing like having your bones scraped. Also my wife had her back operated on and then the Doctors said wait a minute she also needs her hip replaced . Well two years later she's pain free but has a problem with her bladder . So in the end hopefully she will be better.

Winndy (my wife) says she feels like a pansy now! OUCH!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by UP2CSX
Phillip, I'm sorry to hear about your wife and especially about her pain. Hopefully the pain pills will keep her comfortable until the surgery, Unfortunately, it's not unusual for a screw to come a little loose when a patient starts bearing weight. They only tighten them up so much because of the problem of promoting fractures if they are too tight. The good thing is that surgery should be relatively quick and painless. Small incision, a little adjustment, add some of that red Loctite that stops screws from coming out and she'll be done. Just kidding about the Loctite but they actually do use a form of medical grade super glue that should solve the problem.


Sounds like you've been down this road before Jim. Thats almost word for word what the doc said.

Interesting you mentioned "super glue" Jim. We used it for many years in the OR to repair aneurysms in the brain. We'd coat the aneurysm and surrounding vessel with a brand called Arron Alpha 3, which would prevent the aneurysm from growing any larger. We sometimes still attach an aneurysm clip to the base of the aneurysm and use the glue to coat it and the aneurysm. At the time AA3 was the only glue that was approved for use in humans by the FDA. Now I think that there are many "brands" used.

One of the first uses of super glue was not as a general adhesive, but as a quick repair to battlefield wounds to stop bleeding. I don't know if the military is still using it for such or not.
 
Carey there was one sold here called "instant skin" never seen it for years though, maybe it was not suitable, oh well, worked for me.

Just got in from some christmas shopping, (railroad related), got some right hand switches and a crossover that are required so i can progress the layout, we saw a steam special which i was not expecting today, nice end to the shopping trip.
 
Afternoon everybody! Keep the coffee on Flo, gonna be a long weekend. I've been out shopping all morning. Did make some progress, but not done yet. Oh, and I have to go to the grocery store and buy bread and milk...... That is what you are supposed to do when the Metiorolog.... Meterman..... Weather Guy is predicting somewhere between 14 and 22 inches of partly cloudy in the next couple of days? Not a thing yet but this evening it is supposed to start in earnest. The only thing I am really thankful for is that My son has weekends off now and won't have to drive to work until late afternoon on Monday. It should be cleaned up and drivable by then.

Interesting discussion on CA used in surgery guys. My late wife was trained as a Surgical Technician. I can remember her coming home from class and talking about this amazing new stuff that could be used to close up patients after surgery.

Got a call from a friend last night asking if I had read the Obituaries yet. I usually check them out as soon as the paper comes in to make sure that I should continue with the day.......... Seems that My Kitties Vet died last Monday. She was only a year older than me. Nobody seems to know what happened except that she died unexpectedly at the local hospital. The cats and I will miss her, she had a wonderful way with animals. She was one in million!
 


Yep Ray I check the obits every morning to make sure it is OK for me to get dressed and out and about. I would hate to see my name in the paper after I had been busy all day. The snow is sill coming down with bigger flakes than we had earlier. I went out for a short break and made a few snow balls but could not throw them because of the bad shoulders and I had a perfect target picked out. Oh well some of the things you can't do that you once were able to because of advancing age. If I knew what was gonna happen to me in my later years I should have taken better care of myself but would not have had as much fun as I have.
 
Afternoon, everyone. It does look like an awfully impressive storm on the infrared. We are even getting some rain down here from this one. You don't often see a storm system that stretches from New York to the Gulf of Mexico so I'd say that going to grandma's house north of the Mason-Dixon line is going to be off this weekend.

Ray, that's too bad about the the kittie's Vet. You know you're getting older when people around your age start dying. :(

Larry, odd how having to do things that don't seem like the right thing at the time seem to work out later. I've had those same kind of experiences.

Phillip, that picture out the window is just what I DON'T want to see here. I can only imagine how deep that lawn furniture will be buried in snow by tomorrow. I hope that the wife is resting comfortably and enjoying the view while she can be a "pansy" and let you do all the work. :)

Steve, you have a very cute daughter. I think the school my great grandfather went to has been torn down and it's a WalMart now. We don't save a lot history like you do in the UK.

Those of you still eating one of Flo's omelets might want to skip the following if you have a weak stomach. Carey, I was first assigned to the Sheriff's Helicopter Unit in 1982. We flew law enforcement, search and rescue, and air ambulance missions. Our first bird was a Hughes 500, which barely had enough room for the pilot, observer, paramedic, and patient crammed in sideways. Since I was the only paramedic, I'd have to handle all the patient care on the way to the hospital. When we had multiple trauma victims, it was heck getting all the bleeding stopped so I could attend to things like starting IV's. I'd use butterfly's and 4x4's, wrapped with an ace bandage to maintain pressure, on the bigger wounds. The vibration in the helicopter was such that the wounds would often open up again and I'd have to be trying to stop the bleeding again. I saw a bottle of super glue in a store one day that had a brush applicator and thought that was the answer to my problem. You couldn't use the stuff from a tube because you couldn't get the skin together tightly enough without gluing yourself to the patient. With the brush, I could use the butterfly's to hold the wound together and then apply the super glue with the brush and push the skin together from the side until it dried without ever having to touch the super glue. Of course, none of this was approved at the time but I figured they already had a bunch of contamination in the wound and how much worse could super glue make it? Well, patients had less blood loss once I started doing this and I was able to patch up wounds a lot faster and use less pressure and it held in the helicopter. The ER docs were impressed and thought it was a pretty good idea. I suspect one of those rats probably ran with the idea and the use of medical grade super glue grew from there. I should have patented it. :) I think some of the battlefield medics probably did think of this before me anyway but I know it didn't get officially approved until the first Gulf War. I didn't spend a lot of time in neurosurgery and didn't realize they were using the AA3 for aneurysm repair but it makes sense. It must make gluing on handrails look easy by comparison. :) As of when I retired three years ago, there were about a dozen human approved "super glues" including one (can't remember the name) that would bond to anything wet, including blood, which was always my big problem with regular super glue. I think it costs something like $250 per 5 gram tube so I don't think we'll be seeing it hobby shops soon. Steve, that "instant skin" (called Second Skin here) is really just a very thin transparent bandage, not at all like what Carey and I have been talking about. It really doesn't work well for bleeding wounds but it's excellent as a cover for burns so it's a good thing to have around, especially with kids or guys who pick soldering irons from the wrong end. :D

Enough with the medical talk. Between Carey, Rex, and me, maybe we'll have to start a Medical and Weather section here. :) I'm going to take a few pictures for WPF and I'm doing some touch ups on my backdrop. Still trying to figure out a way to hide a few seams in the darn thing,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the snow's been falling, but it's taking a break right now to start up with some freezing rain / sleet mix. Took these shots just a few minutes ago as it was changing over.

Not too many trains running today due to the weather. It's not real bad, but I think they're afraid of plowing down a car stuck on the tracks maybe.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Picture125.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Picture127.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/Picture126.jpg
 
"Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since I've no place to go,
Let it Snow, let it snow, let it snow."

Hey its snowing in the Finger Lakes. Of course the "ex-spurts" said it was snowing about 4 hours ago. Just started. Gonna be a wild one too!
 
Well, we've got about 6" of the white stuff now and it's comming down hard still. About halfway through there's about a 1/4" of ice where we had some sleet and freezing rain last night. Don't think we'll go anywhere for a while today.

Morning everyone!

Yeah, central Indiana is the place not to be today! It's not undrivable, but if you don't have to go anywhere, why bother? Yup, a great day to stay home! http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/12-16-070.jpg

Got a small turkey yesterday so I thought I'd cook that up. It's all thawed out and ready to go. That and some red potatoes, stuffing, corn, and whatever else I can whip up ought to keep us pretty happy for the day. I've got some schoolwork I've been putting off, so I guess I'll get at that too.

Plows came by last night, not that you can tell now. It's blowing pretty good out there.

Heard a train come by about an hour ago. None been by since. They're usually about every 15-20 minutes. Don't know why they stopped though. 6" of snow is nothing to a train!

Oh well, I'm outta here!

Got some chocolate coffee calling my name!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning World! The "Big Storm" hasn't amounted to a whole lot here in Geneva yet...... A little over a inch new snow. Looks like we got mostly sleet and freezing rain. Supposed to get real nasty by the end of the day though. I'm up early to have time to get the truck unfrozen and get to church on time.

.....good to see a neighbor here....

BigRailNut, likewise! Good to see you. Have breakfast on me. Flo anything he wants this morning (put it on Jim's bill, OK?). Me I'll have the #2 over easy on the eggs, bacon nice and crisp, and a double order of that fantastic sour dough toast you make. Oh! Lots and lots of coffee.
 
Good Morning Bill , Phillip & Ray !! Looks like another gorgeous day here in Western New York !!! Sleet , Rain & Snow. It's snowing outside now thecity plows woke me up this morning so I thought I'd so out and share the nice weather with you all ! . Jim that is one good story and use of super glue. Flo I'll have another cup of coffee and bacon & eggs looks like I have my work cut out for me ! Have a nice day all !! P.S. Go Bills in the battle of Lake Erie !!!
 


Mornin Flo, I'll have the "good stuff" breakfast with coffee, toast and jelly.
Glad to see you guys are up and about.
Phil, that turkey meal sounds great!!!
Paul, that's a nice picture of your little black go cart in the snow.
I've got some wood and cigars to put away and an errand or two to run.
Man, I love 4-wheel drive!!!
Have a great day all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top