Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Went to the docs office this morning for my regular appointment. They did a couple of X-rays and found that I've broken my foot again. In three places! I don't feel a single one of them. This makes thirteen times I've broken it since 2004.
 
It sounded like, from Crandell's description, that Al made another concerted attack and it took all three of the mods several hours to get everything cleaned up. As I said when I left, If they don't get a more secure registration system, they are going to have this occur over and over again. It also sounds like the mods still don't have the power to temporarily disable an account, another suggestion I made. I guess my suggestions were promptly deposited in the round file.

As for my tab, you can run it up all you want. Flo's just not going to get paid. :)

Seems that Bergie over there is like a lot of sysadmins and moderators. They don't want to give up or share the "power". This situation will not change until he gives up more rights to the secondary mods or they install a verification/delay registration system.

When I was sysadmin of the OR network, I demanded and finally got total supervisory rights for the network and server. The netadmin apparently got tired of having to dial in with a 400-800baud modem, (this was 1993), to correct minor problems at night. He finally realized that the maintanence for the network had the #1 priority for the entire hospital, and much of it had to be done during nighttime hours, when the majority of the 31 rooms wren't occupied. So I got the rights and he wasn't disturbed any more unless something happened up higher in the tree than my server/network.

Jim;

About Alabama not having a lottery, just do what half the state does and go to Florida, Georgia, or Tennesee and buy your tickets. Give your money to those states. :p;):D
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Jeffrey, how did you manage to break your foot in three places and feel nothing? And why is this #13 in three years? What does your doctor give as reason for all this happening. It's certainly not normal.

Carey, you make the same points I made to Bergie in an e-mail and he apparently doesn't agree with either of us. As you say, some people just can't seem to give up control, even if it would make things run smoother. As for the lottery, I never bought a ticket when I lived in California and sure wouldn't drive over to Georgia to buy one here. I have nothing against gambling (I love video poker in Vegas or Reno) but I don't like the idea of state sponsored gambling when the player has virtually no chance of winning. It appeals to those in our society who can least afford to be spending any money on things other than food for their families.

Alco, have fun on your holiday. Remember that those "beasts" still get stuck in the snow too. :) I will join in wishing all our soldiers a Merry Christmas and a safe and speedy return home.

Rex, only made it down to 28 in Prattville but it sure felt a lot colder. At least the moisture got out of the area before the cold air so we didn't have to put up with the snow our northern brothers have been fighting. The banana tree is RIP until spring though. It lasted a long time for Alabama in December.

Chip, are you able to just add the Novell server to your home network so XP sees it as another drive? Is your home network router wired or wireless? How about the Novell server? Novell networks tend not to like working with anything other than another Novell network though.

Phillip, I'm sure things will go fine for your wife tomorrow but I'll keep her in my prayers.

Larry, I think Claudia might raise my blood pressure a little too much along with the coffee. :)

Tom, it got windy here too and now my yard is buried in leaves. We still have tons of leaves on the trees too. We usually have the last leaves fall just as the new ones start to come out in the spring. Next time you're at Wallyworld, try the Krylon Clear Matte spray paint. Works as good as dullcote at about 1/10th the price.

Paul, glad to hear it's not unbearable with the storm up there. I get the feeling you guys actually like snow blowers. :D

I've been touching up the backdrop on the layout with a few more clouds and redoing the ones I added first. It's amazing how thing that looked fine a month ago look like crud today. I've also been adding all the figures I had stored up to the layout. I swear, no matter how carefully I open those Woodland Scenics figure packs, one always manages to fly off somewhere and I never find it again. I know they are there somewhere but I suspect it's a conspiracy between all the little people to hide from me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Chip, are you able to just add the Novell server to your home network so XP sees it as another drive? Is your home netwrk router wired or wireless? How about the Novell server? Novell networks tend not to like working with anything other than another Novell network though.

As long as the Novell Network is the big daddy, you can have an MS workgroup running over top of it. At least that's the way I did it at work. No, I think the problem is that both of the routers are set-up to block the other as part of their firewall protection. AT least that's my current theory.
 
Howdy, howdy, howdy! I'm very late getting in here today as I have been over to the other end of the county working on a recording. Home for a couple of hours and then have to drive back there to record the concert tonight. All the schools on this side of the county and the next were closed today. About the only schools that are open were near where I am working. We didn't get nearly as much snow as the weatherman was calling for so driving isn't to bad.

I got home just in time to get some rope light I had ordered from the UPS Guy. Some time before Christmas I hope to get it on the layout for background lughting during some nightime operations someday....

Philip, I know your wife will do well with the surgery tomorrow, but I will keep both of you in my prayers anyway...

Jim, your thoughts are one of the big reasons I prefer this forum to the one across the street. It's just all around nicer over here!

Stay warm and I'll see you all later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffrey, how did you manage to break your foot in three places and feel nothing? And why is this #13 in three years? What does your doctor give as reason for all this happening. It's certainly not normal.
I have a condition called 'Charcot foot'. It's relatively common for someone with this condition to break their foot and not even know it. Here's a couple of sites you can check out on it. You can find pictures also. Don't look at them if you have a weak stomach.

http://www.mamc.amedd.army.mil/Referral/charcot_foot.htm

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/10-23-2007/0004688141&EDATE=
 
Dang Jeff, that sounds like something you have to be very careful about.

I just saw on the news where Tuscaloosa was still 31 inches below normal rainfall for the year...even with the recent rain. Guess that explains the weather fire warning that is in effect now and again and again and again.
 
NEWS FLASH: It's nearly 40* F here in Southwestern Florida. Snowbirds are bundling up and hoarding all the electric blankets that walgreens sells. Home Depot's ceramic heater section contains nothing but barren shelves, and megawatts are in high demand. Snow birds seem to forget what it was like to live in climates where the temperature dropped below 70*.

/Pissed-off Floridian that has to deal with slow old people taking up the road during both rush-hours, every single day.
 
Jeffrey, I forgot about your having diabetes. I'm sure your doctor has already talked to you about seeing a limb preservation specialist. Please do so if he has, and ask him about one if he hasn't. This is a pretty serious condition for you. :(

Ray, glad to hear you didn't get slammed as bad as the rest of the area and that you can still do your music gigs. Thanks for the kind words - that's the main reason I'm here too. There are mostly really nice people here so it's easy to be nice back. :)

Res, looks like we are on track for the driest year in Alabama history. Birmingham has had only a little over 28 inches of rain and the next driest year, 1931, was a little over 32 inches of rain. Since it looks highly doubtful that we'll get four inches of rain in the next two weeks, I think we'll set the record. Since I arrived two years ago, we've had two of the hottest summers and two of the driest years on record....hmmm, I wonder if there's any connection. :)

Mike, that's hilarious. I can imagine everyone in plaid Bermuda shorts trying to hunt up an electric blanket. :D
 
12-18-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
 


Good morning folks

It was a brisk 26 F this morning. At least the wind died down and the wind chill was only 20. High today may reach 39 F. It could be near 50 F by the weekend.

I sealed all but one of the hoods for the coil cars. I removed the number off of one of the flatcars and touched it up. It is now ready for decaling. I began weathering the deck of three of the flat cars.

I got a report from a friend on the Greenberg show over the weekend that we missed. It looks like it was a good thing we missed it. Same vendors with high prices with the same stuff they have been trying to sell for years. They also charged for parking. It would have cost me $21.00 plus $5.00 for parking to get in the place and then I would have to pay MSRP or higher for something! We had more fun at Build-A-Bear and spent less and the kids came home with a couple of new polar bears.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning Bill & Tom , Just a quick visit and have Christmas running to do . Jeffrey take care of yourself . Phillip prayers are with you and your wife on her surgery . Jim and Rex I can send you guys some good old frozen percipitation if you need some ? Gotta have a quick cup of coffee and off . take care all and have a nice day !!
 
Morning guys!

Took me 3 days to dig my way to the computer. :) It's been nuts up here - one town not far from me got 52cm or around 20 inches of snow! We were "lucky" with only about 30cm or a foot. And it still isn't officially winter yet.

How'd you guys in the mid states do? This was a darn big weather system.

As for the trains, I've been able to squeeze time in here and there along with installing hardwood floor in the living/dining room area. Anyone here have a "honey-do" list waiting for completion during the holidays? :)

Mark
 
Afternoon all,
it's busy here today,,,

FLO, get your roller skates on your gonna be busy

no white stuff here,,, at all, in fact it's warming up nice again.
 
I took Mrs. C to the hospital this morning for surgery. 4am came early! We just got back. She is HUUUUUUURRRRRRRRTING! Got her in bed on pain meds. Looks like all went real well. Think I'm going to nap in a chair or something for a while.

Later!
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Phillip, glad to hear the operation is over and she's back home. I'm sure she's in pain, the poor thing, but the pain meds should knock her out and the pain level really should go down by tomorrow. You've been a good caretaker and deserve a nice nap. :)

Mark, I wondered how bad things were up there. Sounds like you got the brunt of the storm. I'll bet you can build one heck of a snowman though.

Tom, 50 will seem like the tropics after this week. I've been to one Greenberg show and wouldn't go back. Way too expensive to get in and the selection of items for sale wasn't all that great and the prices were high. They did have some nice Lionel layouts but it wasn't worth $14 plus parking to see them. Sounds like the coil cars are coming along - we want pictures. :D

Steve, at least you're not snowed in in the UK. I've been reading "A Christmas Carol", as I do every Christmas season to remind me why we have Christmas. It sure sounds like London can get to be cold and dreary at times by the descriptions Dickens wrote.

Paul, thanks for the frozen precipitation offer. I'm almost ready to accept. It's going to be a really tough winter for all the plants here if we get some really hard freezes and no rain. Went down to 32 last night but it's partly cloudy and 56 now so that's hard to complain about compared to what guys like Tom and Mark have to put up with.
 
I was in Alexandria all morning helping a friend deliver a load of two tons of paper to the recycling center there. That was a big load on a sixteen foot auto trailer.
 
Philip Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your wife
Jeffery Take it EASY,,, don't want any more injuries

it's always cold in London Jim, never go to the place unless i have to, hopefully never again except to fly out to New Zealand

got a 1/76 scale model of an old Foden articulated truck today, i have to mount it on a small diorama for a retirement present for my friend at work, he leaves Thursday so it gives me two days to do it in, i got the base built and painted up can't do anything else now till the paint dries.
 


Res, looks like we are on track for the driest year in Alabama history. Birmingham has had only a little over 28 inches of rain and the next driest year, 1931, was a little over 32 inches of rain. Since it looks highly doubtful that we'll get four inches of rain in the next two weeks, I think we'll set the record. Since I arrived two years ago, we've had two of the hottest summers and two of the driest years on record....hmmm, I wonder if there's any connection. :)

Jim;

Found this on the NWS site here in B'ham. So unless you were here on these dates as well, I don't think so.

BIRMINGHAM REMAINS ON PACE FOR THE DRIEST CALENDER YEAR ON RECORD.
SO FAR THE BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT HAS RECORDED 27.36 INCHES. THE
PREVIOUS RECORD FROM JAN 1 TO DEC 16 WAS 31.38 INCHES AND WAS
RECORDED BACK IN 1931. WITH 15 DAILY REPORTS REMAINING FOR THIS
YEAR, HERE ARE THE TOP 5 DRIEST CALENDAR YEARS SINCE 1900 FOR BHM:

YEAR RAINFALL

2007 (15)27.36
1904 34.32
1931 36.14
1943 36.94
1908 37.84

Pretty dry thats for sure.:mad:

As to buying lotto tickets and such. :confused: I haven't gambled since college, where playing a game called "Automatic Gut" in the dorm one night, taught me a lesson I never forgot. This is a type of poker where you're dealt three cards. First two face down, the last face up. If that card is a face card, you have to play, you can not fold. Everyone bets their hand. If you're one of the losers, you have to match the pot. At one time there was over $75.00 in the pot and I've got less than $10.00 left. Fortunately I won that hand. I stopped gambling after that game. Since then I haven't had enough to spend on gambling.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top