ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Good Morning Phillip & Bill ! Looks like another typical late fall day here in Buffalo ,Cold with snow flurries. Corey sorry to hear about your fiancial troublesand hope for thebest in the future for yourself and family . It is truly a troublesome time we live in . Pray to God that it will be better . Sorry to hear about Jeffries internet problems. Will truly miss his posts. Well hope everyone will have a nice day also !
Good morning folks. Thank you for the well wishes. I figured our credit is screwed anyway, why not get out? It is certainly a stressful time, but we'll be ok. Financially, we'll be way better off after this uncomfortable episode. We had to learn to live on half of our normal income for the last two years. I'm looking forward to having both barrels of the income shotgun. Who knows, after awhile I may have substantially more money for modeling. For now, I'm an arm chair modeler. I hope everyone has a good day. I'm doing Christmas with my father tomorrow. Merry Christmas!
Dang, bad news all over the place today! Very sorry to hear that Jeffrey will be without internet access for a while. I know that is an important part of his life to be able to talk with people who share his love of trains. So Jeffrey, if you read this, WE MISS YOU ALREADY, dear friend. Hope you are back on line soon.
Corey, So sorry about your set back, but it seems are making some good decisions about it and I'm sure you and your family will be blessed with better times soon. Just keep hanging around here will ya? We want to know what you are doing.
I canceled out going to the RIT show and the Lakeshores Division Meet today as arrangments for taking care of my old kitty cat were not working out and the friend I was going with had a lot he had to get done today. So instead I went over to church and we got the "dead" recording mic back up and running. It was exactly what I thought it was, the cord had gotten partially pulled out when they redid the light fixture that the mic is mounted on. Today was the Hanging of the Greens at church so there were all kinds of folks around. Absolutely amazing how many people will show up to a "hanging". (My pastor like that one too....)
Oh well I have several days worth of things to do this afternoon, so I best get going. Thanks for the Coffee Flo, put it on Bill's account.
Getting ready to head for birmingham for the Prattville championship game so just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello. That's distressing news about Jeffrey - I hope he is able to resolve the problem.
Corey, you have a good attidue. That will carry you far in this crisis.
Paul, we do live in troublesome times but so have many others and the human race has survived. We will too, even if we are cinsidered weak compared to our ancestors. We humans always seem to rise to the occasions.
It's beautiful here in Dixie with the temperature of 72 already. Maybe a few showers if we're lucky but that never stopped a good football game.
All the snow we got a few days ago is all disappearing, no complaints from me! Just returned from a bout of Christmas shopping, little mrr activity to report. The internet security situation was resolved Friday afternoon so my kids are happily chatting with their AIM pals again!
Phillip: about Jeffrey - Didn't he just recently get a hi-speed cable internet connection? If the problem is dead hardware, I don't see why we couldn't enable him to get reconnected [with some creative teamwork].
[Texas] Paul - glad you could drop in.
Ray - sorry you had to cancel your trip, hope the ol' kitty gets better.
Corey - Sorry to hear about the demise of your business. Are there any clubs in your region? You could still enjoy the model building/painting/detailing aspect of the hobby until you get more real estate, running your locos on the club layout in the meantime. Some of my fondest memories are of the days I was first starting out in mrr and did all my operating on the BSME layout in downtown Baltimore.
get the kettle on Flo, hot coffee required ASAP,,, were in for a wild one tonight, 80 mph winds, snow, sleet, rain, rain, rain, and more rain.
Went out to the train show today, fantastic day too apart from the horrible weather, decided to give steam train watching a miss today, Don was out but hiding in the car as he's been ill of late, here's his video of 6201 eating up the miles in a storm
Sorry Corey that things didn't work out for you, but as corny as it may sound I have found out that there is a reason for everything and usually it is a good reason. Ken had an excellent idea if you have a club near or even within 50 miles to help keep you active.
Jeff, gonna miss your regular posts. Hope this turns out to be temporary for you.
Ken, Jeff's issue is that his ISP just stopped supporting windows 2000 and earlier versions, so I guess he can't surf because he uses an older version of software. I always though internet explorer was internet explorer, and if you don't like that there's a half a dozen free drivers available, but maybe I'm just not getting it. He said something about trying to get a computer with XP on it, but it'll take some time to get the funds. I don't know.
I am finally getting around to the computer. Once the rain stopped and the sun came it was a nice day in the 40’s. We had a fun day in Philadelphia. We took the train in just before lunch. We went to Macy’s (used to be Lord & Taylor’s; used to be John Wanamaker’s) and visit the Christmas Carol display. The display uses dolls and animatronics to tell the story. The display has been around for a while. It started in Lits Brothers Department Store. When Lits closed Strawbridge & Clothier got. It stayed at Strawbridges through the various ownership changes until Macy’s. Macy’s closed the old Strawbridge store and moved the display to their new store; the old John Wanamaker’s. we had lunch in the café and watched the Holiday Light Show from our table. We also did some shopping and got home around 6 PM.
Here are a couple of shots from the Light Show.
I did some modeling and determined that I am no longer adding grab irons to cars when I have to drill the holes. I broke two 0-80 drill bits tonight. Also the process is too tedious and my hands hurt after a while. After I gave up on drilling the family and I watched the Polar Express.
Hopefully Jeffery will be back soon
Corey, sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like you have a plan and that everything is going to work out.
Congrats to P'ville on their win over Spain Park for the state championship. One of the local TV stations broadcast the game live, and the P'ville team looked awesome! What I just found out is USA Today had P'ville ranked as #2 in the nation for High School football teams.
With all the cheating and grade fixing scandals the B'ham area schools have had this year, I was surprised that a B'ham area team made it to the "Super 6". We've had 4 teams from this area have to forfeit games during the season due to grade fixin' and playing ineligible players. Sounds a lot like college ball.
Carey and Rex, thanks very much. Prattville did play a great game and Spain Park had a much better defense than the score showed. If the officials would stop throwing flags every other play, it would have been a closer game. I am surprised that teams like Hoover were even allowed in the playoffs after having to forfeit games because of grade fixing but Alabama is noted for such lapses in ethics. We were rated #2 in the nation but I don't think we can ever make number one because St. Xavier in Cincinnati hasn't lost a game in 9years.
Rex, glad to hear you got a little rain. We got nothing either here or in Brimingham. It was probably the warmest December football game I've ever been at - 78 at kickoff and it's still 64 now. Lots of warm Gulf air and a cold front due in Wednesday. This is the perfect setup for a tornado outbreak.
Tom, those are great light show pictures. I agree about grab irons. I've broken more of those tiny drills than I can count.
Phillip, I assume Jeffrey must be using Win 98 or ME. I can't imagine that any ISP would stop supporting Win2K since XP is essentially a variant of Win2K. If that's all it is, I can get him a legitimate copy of XP for almost nothing since I'm still an MSP.
Steve, I wish we could get slightly calmer and warmer version of all that storminess you guys are having over here. Great video of the 6201 - it really doeslook like quite a strom. Is that diesel pusher on the end of the train?
Anyway, it was a great night for a little town in Alabama. It's my daughter's senior year so it's nice that she wil leave with a championship spirit as she goes on to college.
Rex;
At least you got some! We couldn't buy a rain if it was on sale for $1.
Jim;
What really has bothered me about the whole mess is that the School Board here, instead of firing all involved immediately, (an assistant principle, head football coach, and several teachers,) moved them to different positions within the system, and even provided the coach with a $120,000.00 annuity as part of a "severence" package for when his contract is not renewed for next year. He even gets to keep any proceeds from his part in the MTV series "Two a Days", as well as the truck provided to him by a local car dealer. He and the others, won't be leaving the system till the end of the school year. All the guilty parties are in effect, still employed by the school board!
What's worse is the other B'ham area school officials involved in their own little scandals, simply got a verbal reprimand, and their schools were "fined" $500 each for their infractions. One school had to forfeit 2 games, another school 3, and the last one didn't have to forfeit any.
Jim the diseasel brought the train up from the east to Preston were steam took over, it's dead in tow during the steam leg to the destination were the steam departs and the diseasel once again takes the train back to were it started from.
Mornin Flo!
I'll have the California Omelette, toast and jelly with a cup of coffee.
We've got some bad weather comin into WNY, but the christmas tree is lit and the wood burner is runnin hot like a 0-4-0 Docksider!
Have a great day all!!
Good Morning Bill , Steve & 97 , I'll have coffee and a # 4 Flo , Looks like a great day for football and I'm gonna sit back in the lounger and enojy some . Hope everyone has a great day also !!!
Good morning Bill, Steve, 97, Paul-in-Buffalo, and anybody else who posts before I finish composing this message!
'Tis a wet one here in the Land Of Pleasant Living. Rex and Carey, I'd be glad to send some of it your way but I lack any real influence with the Controller of the Weather!
Jim - congrats to the Prattville HS football team! I can't even bring myself to invoke the name of Baltimore's team, their performance has been so pathetic this season, maybe the worst ever. Some people blame it on injuries, but mostly it's just alot of absent-minded stupidity. I hope to see a new Head Coach and a new QB next year.
With this type of weather I have the perfect excuse to stay indoors and continue with my modeling. Don't quite have all my Christmas shopping done yet, but at least I got all the "important" items!
Phillip, I assume Jeffrey must be using Win 98 or ME. I can't imagine that any ISP would stop supporting Win2K since XP is essentially a variant of Win2K. If that's all it is, I can get him a legitimate copy of XP for almost nothing since I'm still an MSP.
Cool and cloudy here in the Finger Lakes today. But rather a pleasant day all told. I just got home from helping my son move some furniture over to storage after church. He has my truck so his family can go get Christmas trees (theirs and his Mother in law's) this afternoon. I have to get some cookies baked for the baskets our Deacons send to out shut-ins. So I will have a good rest of the day. Hopefully I will find time to get a couple photos for WPF.