Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


My first F (failing) O (On) R (road) D (daily)was a 74 Escort, it eventually split in half on the motorway, right up the front bulkhead, i kid you not, it was like fred Flinstones car, you could watch the road fly by under your feet

Steve, I hate to laugh at what must have been quite a predicament at the time but that is one funny story. Just picturing your car going down the motorway with each half pointing in a different direction gave me my laugh for the day. :D
 
When I worked in a body shop 35 years ago we used to take wrecked Mavericks, Pintos and Vegas and cut them in half and weld other wrecked parts on to them. This is called clipping a car. You cut half way up the windshield post and across the floor board making the new parts just a little longer than what you cut off so you over lay the pcs together. We had a guy who could pull a car in the shop in the morning cut it in two and drive it out that night. It would not be completed but could be moved around under its own power and when he was done welding the door gaps were as good if not better than the factory original. The windshields always fit and looking under the car you could not tell they had been wrecked. You can still do that to a car today but with all of the records the Insurance companies and the state BMV's keep it is impossible to hide the fact that the car had been wrecked. Our boss never sold a car without telling the buyers that the car had been repaired. Boy I miss those day we had a lot of fun but also got a lot of work done in a short time.
 
Last edited:
Apparently some brilliant engineer deigned a un-fail-proof fuel pump for the Focus. Lucky thing is that its covered under a recall.

Darn car sure lived up to its name(s) Found On Road Dead, or Fix Or Repair Daily.

Man my Toy-yoda is STILL cruzing after a thorough abusing. Lexus it is for my next car.
 


12-04-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
 
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446 12/4/2007


Wind Chill: 32°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 28°F

So Far Today
High: 35°F
Low: 32°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph ENE

Important Message

Freeze warning in effect until 8 AM cst this morning.

Temperatures Are Expected To Bottom Out Around Sunrise And Will Range From The Upper 20s North Of A Line From Alexandria Louisiana To Jasper Texas...To 32 Degrees Along The Interstate 10 Corridor.

A Freeze Warning Means Sub-Freezing Temperatures Are Imminent Or Highly Likely. These Conditions Will Kill Crops And Other Sensitive Vegetation.


Today High: 65 Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 42 Mostly clear. Not as cool. Lows in the lower 40s. Light and variable winds.
 
Good Morning Bill & Jeffrey ! Snow to the north of us , snow to the south of us but we have nearly a flake. That's whar living between two Great Lakes does for you . They even have some snow in New york City from Lake Erie. Corey sorry to hear about your financial troubles. Hope all works out for you and your wife. Ford last one I owned was a 85 LTD and I don't think I'll own another. Oh well guess I'll get going . Hope you all have a nice day !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' all!

Looks like we're going to get some snow 'round here! Should have an inch or two by tomorrow morning.

It's so funny to watch everyone around here every year when we get snow. Everyone freaks out and loses it. Maybe it's from living in New England, Wyoming, and the snow belt in Ohio all those years, but c'mon people. It's only an inch or two! I don't even take note until you start approaching a foot or so, and then it's only mildly interesting. It doesn't become fun until you hit the 18" mark. Oh well! It's entertaining to watch everyone wig out, I will say that!

So thats the big news 'round here!
 
Good morning folks, I just finished attacking my skating rink on the sidewalk in front of the store. Jim and Paul, thanks for the encouraging words. I've decided to cautiously continue to work on the layout. I don't think I'll be ballasting any more track though. That is one of the things that would be a pain if I had to rip it out. I guess we're looking at a few more inches of snow today. Oh well, now it will be normal to drive on crappy roads. I hope everyone has a good day.
 
Good morning folks

It was a brisk 31 F as I left the house. High today is supposed to be 38 F. We have the dreaded S-word in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. No one seems to know how much if any we are expected to get. The wind yesterday and last night was pretty strong. Many of outdoor Christmas decoration were blown over and some of the lights blown out of the bushes. One small walkway lighted tree had its base broke when it was blown over.

No modeling last night. We had parent-teacher conferences for my daughter last night. She is doing very well and has handled the adjustment from elementary school to middle school well. I also had to put the door back on our grandfather clock. We lost the key. We went to a local clock repair shop and they gave us about 10 different keys to try. Of course none of them worked and I had to pop the hinges on the door and take the door to the clock shop. They had to replace the lock.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Afternoon, all. It was a chilly night here with a low of 33...I know, that sounds good as a high for most of you. :) I has warmed up nicely to 62 now. Our oak trees have dropped literally tens of thousand of acorns. The squirrels are having a good time but I'm afraid my lawn will be mostly sprouting oak trees come spring.

I've only owned that one Ford Explorer but I used to drive Ford Crown Vic's for the sheriff's department all the time. We abused them unmercifully and they ran like clocks, even at 115 mph, so Ford must do something right. Dodge is trying to get back in the police car market now with the Charger but most departments still buy the Crown Vic Police Interceptor version and they seem to perform well nationwide.

Corey, I remember trying to shovel out a walk with ice underneath. I seem to recall spending a lot of time on my butt. :)

Phillip, I'm waiting with baited breath for my first snow down here. It should be like watching the clown cars at a circus. With the way I've seen Alabama drivers handle rain, snow should pretty well do them in.

Tom, I'm trying remember if our grandfather clock had a lock. I don't think it did but I also don't think it was very old. I wonder what the purpose of lock was anyway? Keep the kids from fooling with the pendulums or what?

I have a P2K SW1200 that has the hood handrails getting more warped by day. I don't know what the cause is but I think it's a bad batch of plastic. I can remove the handrail, straighten it out by tension and get it straight, but then the attaching pegs are off from the holes by about 1 mm each. I've seen several other pictures of these P2K EMD SW's with the same handrail problem. I decided to send Walthers an e-mail and got a call back from a nice guy named Jerry. He said he hadn't heard of this problem before but they still had some handrail sets in stock and he's send me one. This engine is about two years old and well out of warranty but Walthers does back up their products, even when they can tell you to go pound sand. It's a pretty good outfit to deal with even if their prices aren't the lowest in the world.
 


I have a P2K SW1200 that has the hood handrails getting more warped by day. I don't know what the cause is but I think it's a bad batch of plastic. I can remove the handrail, straighten it out by tension and get it straight, but then the attaching pegs are off from the holes by about 1 mm each. I've seen several other pictures of these P2K EMD SW's with the same handrail problem. I decided to send Walthers an e-mail and got a call back from a nice guy named Jerry. He said he hadn't heard of this problem before but they still had some handrail sets in stock and he's send me one. This engine is about two years old and well out of warranty but Walthers does back up their products, even when they can tell you to go pound sand. It's a pretty good outfit to deal with even if their prices aren't the lowest in the world.
I had the same problem with my P2K SW1200. I just removed the handrail, stretched it out as you did and marked the positions for the new holes then drilled them with the assistance of a mini drill press. I could never hold a drill or rotary tool that still. After the holes were drilled I filled in the old ones with contuor putty and painted them over. I then installed the the handrail posts into the new holes. It's been more or less straight since then.
 
Evening coffee clubbers!

Quick, name a four-letter word that begins with 's'...

Seems like we'll be getting an inch or two of it here in the Mid 'Lantic region tomorrow, and the roads will be populated with drivers on the two extreme ends of the spectrum: Those who are so scared that they won't move over 5mph on the main highways, and those in their 4WD's who believe they can stop in the snow as quickly as they can accelerate in it.

I had the same problem with my P2K SW1200. I just removed the handrail, stretched it out as you did and marked the positions for the new holes then drilled them with the assistance of a mini drill press. ...

...So, I'm not the only one with a P2K SW1200 with squiggly handrails! My tentative solution will be to substitute the vinyl ones with brass, if I ever get around to it (too many other things on my plate at the moment).

Have a great evening everybody, and stay safe!
 
I may do that with mine as well, but in place of brass I'll use a piece of old Athearn metal handrail. It'll certainly be straight then. I can't do it right now. My ankles hurt too bad to stand for any period of time so that nixes layout work.
 
Howdy and evenin' to all! Today was canceled here in the Finger lakes! We got about 3 inches of the white stuff along with 35 MPH winds (gusts up to 50) so the roads were a bit of a mess. All the Schools in this part of NYS were closed for the day including Geneva which has really messed up the small ensemble rehearsal schedule at the High School. I will be spending all day there tomorrow to get settings on the mics......... To make matters worse, the storm took out my phone and cable modem service. Got phone back mid afternoon but I finally got the modem back up and running with some help from the Techs at Time Warner in Rochester.

I guess I'll spend some time getting caught up on my forum reading for a while.
 
Good morning.

I was a member on a forum a couple of years ago that required any photos to be small. By small I mean that you could have up to four photos and all four together couldn't be larger than 94 kb's and one by itself couldn't be more than a third of that size. Needless to say, I didn't stick around.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/5/2007


Wind Chill: 45°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 40°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 40°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 72 Sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 42 Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. Light and variable winds becoming northeast 10 to 15 mph after midnight.
 


HEY! GOOD MORNING!

We've 4 fresh inches of snow on the ground! And just as predicted, everyone forgot how to drive in the stuff. My 1/2 hour commute took about an hour. CSX wisely decided not to run trains in this mess as the traffic would probably have prevented them from getting through crossings anyways. This should be about it for the snow accumulation though. They're calling for flurries till afternoon and then dropping temps. The weather guesser says a balmy 12 degrees is good for tonight. Yeah buddy, it's getting nippy out there!

Weather doesn't stop the phone company though. I'm right here in my office, same as always.

Did you guys hear about the "Bonnie & Clyde" bank robbers? A couple robbed banks in 4 states that they know of so far. They caught up with them last night just a few miles from here. Pretty wild!

So whats going on in your neck of the woods?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top