Coffee Shop Part VIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Good afternoon. I found out yesterday that my old scanner won't work with Windows XP. I checked the HP website to see if they had an updated driver for it but they don't. So this morning I went to Wal-Mart and bought an HP F4135 all-in-one. This is a printer/scanner/copier. I got it just for the flatbed scanner. It uses the same type of cartridges that my printer does so now I have an extra set for it.
 
Nice going Jeff. Does it do pretty good quality work? I have always been curious about them since they do it all.
 


Afternoon All ! Just got back from the wedding It was done very nicely for being planned in a week . It was because the Minister was leaving town and it ws the only time they could get hitched. My wife and daughter helped her friend with all the decoratyions and My wife did her flowers. Phillip sorry to hear about you pet . Mine is going to be 16 in January and she is still going strong . I know that eventually she will go also but you hope they will keep going . Well out of hear so take care all .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
12-28-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png
 
Good Morning Bill ! Just got back from working all night at a lokcin for kids at our local bowling alley . After chasing them around for five hours I'm beat so off to bed and see you all later .Have a nice day everyone .
 
Good morning Bill, Paul, and good night Paul:D !
We are getting some much needed rain right now. It's suppose to continue off and on most of the day. (I hope!)
 
Morning all!

Well, things are getting back to normal, though Maggie is still missed. My son took it pretty hard, but he's better now. Some of the neighborhood kids were around yesterday, and even they were crying about the news of Maggie's passing. Like I said yesterday,....she was a real good dog.

All of this has had a little bit of a ripple effect. See, last night when all of this started, my wife was so upset about it that she couldn't remember if she'd taken all of her meds. Well, she forgot to take her tremor medicine for her MD and now she has the shakes pretty bad. She's taken the meds now, but it takes a while to start working again if you skip a dose. She'll be fine by tomorrow I'm sure, but today will be a little tough and yesterday was a bear. We have a doctors appointment later today, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to work the crutches to get in and out of the van or not. We'll see I guess.

Supposed to be a nasty mix of snow, sleet and rain around here for the next few days.

Rest Of Today: cold rain Indy-south, rain/sleet/snow mix north - high: 40
Tonight: rain tapers to a few snow showers or flurries - low: 28
Saturday: cloudy & cool with some morning flurries - high: 38
Sunday: cloudy & cold with flurries possible - high: 36

Looks like a great weekend for coffee in front of the fireplace!

So whats up with you all?
 
Good morning folks

I have not made it to the forum too much the last few days. I took a couple days off from work. This was first time I have taken time off after Christmas in a few years. We went to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia on Wednesday. It was nice because it was not too crowded and we were able to enjoy many of the interactive exhibits for a change. Yesterday we went to the Delaware Museum of Natural History for their Dino Days Special Event.

It was 31 F with some fog this morning. Our high today is supposed to be 49 F with rain. It is supposed to rain through the weekend with a possible break on Saturday night. It would be nice to get some clear night skies so my son can try out his new telescope that Santa left him.

I did not get any modeling done over the last few days.

This weekend will involve the bi-weekly grocery trip. I am not sure what other excursions are planned.

I would like to finish weathering the wheels, covers, and the coil cars. I also have a flat car to renumber. There are trailers to weather and four more decks to weather and all the flat cars to weather for the TOFC. Maybe I will experiment with my new Bachmann DCC system.

Phillip, sorry to hear about Maggie. It is funny how they become such a part of the family and how sorely they are missed. Every time we say that we can’t get another one; one catches our eye and then were are hooked for the next ten years or more. The only thing that we have not been able to do is get another Keeshond. We had one and he was a great dog and losing him was hard on us. He was 13 when he passed. Every time we thought about getting another Keeshond we thought of him and could not. Our two dogs are Pomeranians. We also have two cats, a dove, and a guinea pig.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Good Morning everyone. Supposed to be a good day here in the Finger Lakes. The high will be in the mid 30s and the sun is shining for the moment. I'll be spending most of the day getting caught up on stuff like cleaning the house.....

Last night I did the final recording for the Honeoye contract so now I just have to get the mix done and all the inserts done in a mock up for them and get into production. The Theory Class that is doing this a s a project will be coming to my house (studio) to "help" with the mixing and see how the inserts are done next Saturday. Then it will be up to me to complete the project and get into production for them. The local High School Band wants to do a CD also, so I may have a few extra $$ to spend on some RR stuff.

Philip, I have a 20 (21?) year old cat here that belonged to my Mom. Every day I get up and wonder if she is still among the living. Then she appears and looks up at me as if asking, "Where's my breakfast!". She is getting more and more frail by the day, but still gets around well and seems to enjoy life. I'm just hoping that I don't someday have to make the decision to have her put down. Our last dog had to be put to sleep and I still remember how painful that decision was for my family even though we all knew it was the right thing for him. At least for Maggie she lived a good long life and went quickly.

Have a great day!
 
Good afternoon. The new all-in-one works quite well. I found that I can't keep my old printer on the system while the new unit is on. It causes the old one to go on and off continuosly. I finally just unplugged the old one and use the new unit for printing as well as scanning. It does a very good job, though there is one little bug that I haven't worked out. It wants to print on 'Landscape' no matter how the preferrences are set.
 
Good afternoon folks. It's snowing here in Wisconsin. Not too much, but enough to cause aggravation. I have to pick up a Uhaul tonight to transport some furniture to my siblings. I hate driving those things, especially in snow. At least this is a little one. When we move the rest of our stuff, I have to get a 26 foot truck. I'm not looking forward to driving that thing in traffic!

I was crabby the other day and almost bought the Walthers Milwaukee station on impulse. I don't know why I feel the need to buy that monster. It won't really fit on a shelf layout. I think I just like the way it looks. Thankfully, I practiced some restraint. I don't have any business spending $250 on a model. Especially if I don't have a layout!

We are running into a 'Brewster's Millions' scenario. We can't pay off any of our bills, but we can't have cash laying around or generate assets. I'm going through a list of things that need to be replaced. Someone is coming to replace my windshield as I type this. My only other option is to literally stuff cash under the mattress. That doesn't sound too honest to me. This was part of my reasoning for wanting to purchase the station. I figured, what the heck. I guess we'll see what happens. One more frustrating day, and the LHS may have a nice sale for the day!

I hope everyone has a nice day.
 
Afternoon, everyone.
Paul, sounds like a nice wedding.

Jeffrey, time to dump that old printer. Those new multifunction printers are nice as long as the cartridge cost doesn't kill you. Check the HP software that came with the printer. The "Always Landscape" setting may be coming from there.

Rex, strange night here. We had a pretty good thunderstorm while we had pea soup fog. Haven't seen that before. We've had a few showers this morning and it looks like the storms are building. We are under a tornado watch but, so far, it looks like most of the heaviest weather is south of us. I'll take some more rain without any tornado's.

Phillip, things like this are really hard on a family. Sounds like Maggie was a great dog. I hope your wife gets back on track with the MD meds. How is her pain and mobility after the surgery? Reading about all the pain people have when beloved pets pass away is one of the reasons why I have fish. I like them but don't get too attached to them.

Tom, you actually took time off to go do some things other than work? It will take your body a week to recover. :) Sound like you did some fun things.

Corey, there's a direct relationship between depression and overspending. It's always a bad time to make a buying decision when you're feeling down. If you do need to spend down some cash, I'm sure there are things that will be ore useful to you and your wife than a station that will be too big to fit on any foreseeable layout. Like I said, wait a few months and I'll bet you Walthers will be running a clearance on those models anyway.

I was tuning up the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 that my brother got me for Christmas. It's really a nice little engine, perfect for my layout and runs well. The front tender truck kept lifting off the track so I thought I'd investigate. The DCC module is in the tender, which is a good thing since there's plenty of room for a sound card and speaker. To do this, they had to run connector wires from the engine to the tender. No problem, they did a nice job setting them up. The problem was someone at the factory installed the drawbar so one set of wires was under the drawbar. The wires don't have much slack so they were just stiff enough to lift the front tender truck on curves. Fixed that problem and also painted the wires black so it looks a little more prototypical. The wires would actually make decent representations of oil supply pipes to the engine - except the tender is coal. The ATSF had hardly any coal fired 2-8-0's, another thing I'll need to fix since it doesn't look right on a Santa Fe engine. The detail on almost everything is really nice except the two classification lights look like bug eyes on stalks. Those will have to go also. They spent money on things like having a drop plate between the engine and tender but put these weird hunks of plastic on the engine as classification lights. I never will understand how manufacturers think when they product decisions like this.
 
Jim, I had the same problem with my consolidation. I couldn't figure out why the tender kept derailing. The wires were pushing up the tender like you said.

I know I need to sit tight on purchases. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm turning into somewhat of a hot head lately. I know that station is a complete waste of space. It's such a cool looking building though!

Have a good day.
 
Tom, you actually took time off to go do some things other than work? It will take your body a week to recover. :) Sound like you did some fun things.

Why do think I went back to work today? I needed some time to recharge for the weekend.:D
 
Jim/Corey, Ditto from me on the Consolidation. Other than the wires needing repositioning, she' been a good one. Mine didn't come with sound and I put a Tsunami in her. Man, she sounds, runs, and looks great. I did buy some jewel classification lights to put on her a year ago..........their still in the bag:o :rolleyes: .
 
I guess my Consolidation wasn't an isolated instance of poor quality control then. Seems odd that problems like this would be caught at the factory when they test run them. OTOH, I suppose the test tracks are all straight and the problem only showed up on curves. Just poor design, I guess. It is a sweet engine, especially for the price. There's just somethng about the Consolidation that's chunky enough to look powerful and not big enough to overwhelm my curves. I'm now debating whether to leave is in AT&SF livery or re-letter fpr the the P&N as a tourist engine. Sound comes next - I understand that Tsunami is outstanding.

Tom, LOL, I can remember having those same thoughts if I took a few extra days off. Just remember, you'll never find a gravestone that says "I wish I could have spent a few more days at the office". :)

Corey, just wait for the sale. Then you can buy one and feel smug because you paid less than all the saps that are paying full price for it now because "they have to have it". :D
 


Yeah JIM, I put the Tsunami light steam in my Consolidation. I used the large oval from Tony's under the coal pile. She has a very nice and LOUD voice.;)

EDIT: Sorry KenL, the Terps sure blew it. Guess the Oregon State team had bigger (beavers) Teeth:rolleyes: :D .
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top