Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. Going to be a lazy day. Talk about asking for a day off at the right time. El Presidente is here today, glad I don't have to deal with the security on the air field.
 
Well, it's done! Tuesday morning is the surgery. She stays overnight, then home on Wednesday. Hopefully thats all the drama there'll be to it. Thanks for all the prayers and support everyone!
 


W-h-o-a Nelly!
This was on my desktop weather forecast (the BUG).

Friday
Partly sunny. A slight chance of rain. Highs around 64. Light winds then becoming west up to 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent. Wind chill readings 24 below to 20 below zero.

Friday Night
Mostly clear. Lows around 44. Light winds. Wind chill readings 27 below to 32 below zero.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

OOPS! Somehow, I don't think so.:D :D
 
Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


10-26-07

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
 
Good morning.
Nothing much going on here today. Nice sunny day, temp in the 70's.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/26/2007

Wind Chill: 44°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 43°F

So Far Today
High: 46°F
Low: 45°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph SE

Today High: 72 Sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 45 Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

P1010004-9.jpg
 
Good Morning ! Bill & Jeffrey looks like a raing day here in Buffalo ! Off to the eye doctor so have to go . Hope all of you have a wonderful day !!!!!
 
Good morning folks

Now it is beginning to feel like Fall. Temperature was 53 F when I rolled out of the driveway with some light rain. The high today is only supposed to be 59 F and we have a 100% chance of rain all day. My son’s final football practice for the season will be a muddy mess.

I finished assembling the Accurail Penn Central boxcar and the Bev-Bel/Athearn Seaboard Coast Line boxcar. I also changed out the plastic E-Z Mate or McHenry couplers to Kadee couplers on the Athearn RTR 50’ boxcar.

Another crazy weekend on tap. Saturday my daughter has her final basketball clinic. My son has Cub Scout Fitness Day and in the afternoon our pack is participating in the Aronimink Station Business Association Fall Festival. Sunday is the season finale for my son’s football team.

I have 8 boxcars I would like to weather this weekend. Also I would like to start detailing the Farm House area on the layout.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jaffrey[/b]!

Mornin' Paul!

Mornin' Tom! Hope you and your son have fun at the Cub Festival. I remember that I had so much fun taking my boys to those kind of events! Guess that's why I still volunteer in Scouting. (Sometimes I get to shake hands with an Eagle!)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! OH! Huh? I'm just waiting for the roofer to get here this morning (hopefully before it starts to rain again...) to let me know what needs to be done with the leaky roof and what it will cost...$$$$$
 
Morning all!

Cool this morning, but not as chilly as yesterday. Think I'll pass on the weather that Rex is having though!

temps.jpg


Man, I'll tell you what, I've just got to start getting to bed earlier. I am one tierd pup this morning. I am really draggin'!

Got lots to do this weekend to get ready for the big week next week. To top it off, my son has his first basketball game tomorrow. Due to his disabilities he's not real good (just being honest) but hopefully he'll get some gametime. That would make his day big time. He's just excited that he's on the team, but actual gametime would just be over the top! (I hope and pray he gets put in, even if it's just for a few plays!)

So what's up with you all?
 


Hey fellas, been a while since I've been in the Coffee Shop. I have not go to do anything train wise, if someone out there could adjust the space/time continum for me that would be great. I might actually get to start doing some scenery on my layout then. Plans for this weekend don't look any better, I'm doing a huge bbq for about 16 people tomorrow and sunday I have a paper for one of my grad classes to write. Hey better yet if anyone wants to come my house and scenic my layout for me I'll give them all the BBQ they could eat tomorrow :D Well hope everyone has a great weekend.
 
Philip, I sure hope your son gets to play. I am a big believer that all the members of a team should get to play. When I was a JV softball coach there was only one game one year that we had a real chance of winning (we played schools 3 or 4 times our size and were a bit outclassed). When it became apparent that we were actually going to win one, I called the team together and said, "OK girls what should I do here." They unanimously chose to go for the win. That is the only game I coached that all the players didn't get at least an inning on the field. There are lots of ways of winning, the final score may be deceiving! That is one thing I really like about Scouting. In a well run Troop or Den or Crew (Venturing), all the kids get to play and are important for what they can offer.

Hey Nick! Good to see you! I'd be glad to come and do some scenery on your layout for a free BBQ, but it is a very long drive from the Finger Lakes to Oklahoma..... BTW, what's the menu for the BBQ?

The roofer has been here and repaired the roof. put some seal around the brace and nailed down a bunch of shingles where the nails were working themselves up and out. He thinks it should take care of the problem. Cost me $40......... A bit better than a new roof! He will get more business from me I think. He even called to let me know he would be 10 minutes late. Nobody does that around here...........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Man Ray the menu is huge. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, pheasant, maybe quail, fajitas and possibly some chicken. Along with corn on the cob, and assorted veggies. Topped off with smores being roasted over a bonfire. :D
 
Man Ray the menu is huge. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, pheasant, maybe quail, fajitas and possibly some chicken. Along with corn on the cob, and assorted veggies. Topped off with smores being roasted over a bonfire. :D

Mmmmmmmm! That smells Goooooood already!
 
Philip, I sure hope your son gets to play. I am a big believer that all the members of a team should get to play. When I was a JV softball coach there was only one game one year that we had a real chance of winning (we played schools 3 or 4 times our size and were a bit outclassed). When it became apparent that we were actually going to win one, I called the team together and said, "OK girls what should I do here." They unanimously chose to go for the win. That is the only game I coached that all the players didn't get at least an inning on the field. There are lots of ways of winning, the final score may be deceiving! That is one thing I really like about Scouting. In a well run Troop or Den or Crew (Venturing), all the kids get to play and are important for what they can offer.
QUOTE]

I 2nd that motion....

My step-son and only child I have in our little humble family...:D
He is involved with Boys Souts as well. He is 16 and working on his Eagle project right now and his last merit badge "Citizenship In the Nation". The Eagle requirements are to have 12 specific badges out of the required 21badges plus 10. Now there only 122 badges to date since the latest revision Jan 2007. My son has currently has 56 out of that 122 as of today. He thinks he wil have @75 plus but will not attempt to get all 122 when he completes his Eagle Project. What is most rewarding to me about all this is that I get to see him expirience the different activites the merit badges offers which is really neat. He and I have done quite a few things together. Example, although not a merit badge but had some requirements of certain merit badges such as swiming and life safety, he got a BSA Award in SCUBA DIVING which he and I did together and we both got certified and now we are continuing our adventures together in that. (good thing we live in FL:D ) Also there is a merit badge for Railroading. :eek: Which he has...go figure!:D
 
Good afternoon gents,,,

Any news about Claudia ???

Well an update about tornado,,, (see link below) she's only £66,000 away from steaming
And she will be the FIRST brand new steam express loco built in the UK in fifty years, and will be allowed to run at line speed because she's all new
tornado1.jpg
 
Alco, That is great about your step-son. What is he doing for his Eagle project? I used to love to see the growth from that little newly joined Scout to seeing young Men complete their Eagle! BTW, I am a councilor for Railroading MB among others. It is true when people say it takes a community to raise a child and the community of Scouting is a good one! One of the hardest things to convince parents when a boy joins Cub Scouts is that it is not a program that someone else does for the child, but rather a path walked together with family and friends. Thank you for being there for your son!

Steve, I can't wait to see the Tornado under steam. She is a beauty!
 
Ray & Alcomotive,

I know, I agree that everyone should play, but that's part of the reason he wanted to join this team. He didn't want to join a team where they had to let you in and they always gave gametime no matter what. He wanted to earn his way onto the team and to earn his gametime. He's just wired like that. He doesn't want a handout just because of some disablility. He wants to go get it for real. In the end, ya gotta give it to him.....he's got heart!
 
One of the hardest things to convince parents when a boy joins Cub Scouts is that it is not a program that someone else does for the child, but rather a path walked together with family and friends.

You said a mouthful there!

When my wife and I took over my son’s Bear den last year we encountered this problem big time. We took over from a den leader who was clueless. He had no idea what scouting was about and did not want to listen to anyone. All he wanted to do was arts and crafts. After one frustrating meeting I finally had enough and “pulled rank” with the Cub Master. Both my wife and I were trained Tiger and Wolf Den Leaders. We were also prepared to lead a Bear Den until my son’s original pack folded. We had the whole year planned out. So with the blessing of the Cub Master and Pack Committee we took over the den. This is the beginning of January and to our dismay we find out that the scouts have not completed a single achievement! We had 8 scouts and with a lot of effort and determination we got 5 of them their Bear badges by the end of the year. The three that did not get them failed to do so because their parents would not help them by doing the family things with them.

This year as Cub Master I still see some of the lack of parental involvement or interest. To sum parents we are just a cheap babysitting service. In the long run they and unfortunately their sons are the losers. They are missing the great opportunity that scouting offers.

Sorry for the rant.

Alco great to hear about your step-son. Keep us up to date on his progress.
 


Philip,...I am a big believer that all the members of a team should get to play.

I will agree with that for the little'uns under 12 and it is our responsibility to begin defining teamwork as that which involves all members in all activities. However, from the age of 12 and up, we should expand this to emphasize the reward of play is given as the result of a level of achievement gained through hard work by an individual for the team and not simply a given for being a name on a roster.
As a former Pony League baseball coach, I had to play each player at least 3 innings regardless of skill or team participation. The omittance of skill level was acceptable providing the player gave 100% effort and came to every practice possible. However, when you have those that only show for the game or have an attitude that "I'm going to play and don't even have to try.", it is wrong for the other members of the team that have done all that can be expected of them, to sit on the bench while you play those that have selfishly chose to act alone.

Philip: Sounds like he has what it takes. SPIRIT!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top