Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the headlight installed in 422 early this afternoon.
P1010001-19.jpg
 
Good morning folks

A little rushed this morning as I have to go visit a bridge project that is finishing construction today and the drive is about an hour one way. It is still unseasonably warm. It was 66 F on the way out of the driveway this morning. High is 78 F and we may have showers coming later. I began winterizing the fish pond by removing and cleaning the filter. We also took down the gazebo and put it the garage.

I began pulling boxcars out of the pile to work on. I started assembling an Accurail Lehigh Valley 50’ ribbed boxcar.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Good morning.

It was like the twilight zone in here yesterday. There wasn't anyone around for most of the day.

High temp today is expected to be in the 60's.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/23/2007

Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 44°F

So Far Today
High: 55°F
Low: 52°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 30mph NW

Today High: 65 Mostly cloudy. Cooler. Highs in the mid 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 48 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40s. Northwest winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

Imag0006.jpg
 
Good Morning ! Bill , Tom & Jeffrey from rainy Buffalo , Looks like we our gonna get close to 3/4's of and inch today . I think they need it in California more the we do . Gonna go get some work done on my railroad since it looks like I might not get any work done outside. Well gonna run you all have a nice Tuesday!!!!
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Tom!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Mornin' Paul!

"Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip.
Dribble, dribble, dribble, drip, drip ,drip."

(from the Dr. Seuss song, "Rainy Day in Utica, NY".)
 
Morning, everyone. Thanks for the donuts again, Bill...I'd kill for a box of those right now. :)

Tom, are you a project engineer on that bridge? My son is a civil and his first love was bridges but he's ended up as a structural doing historic preservation work and likes that too.

Jeffrey, I guess the front has gone through Louisiana. It's still warm and humid here with a low of only 69 last night. Has some severe weather south of us but just some much needed rain here. We're up to almost an inch now and it's still raining some. That's the most rain we've had since 9/11.

Ray and Paul, I remember those drippy, overcast fall days in Cleveland, which is one of the reason I left. Seems like you've had pretty good weather this fall which probably means you'll pay for it this winter. :( Paul, those apples sure look good. It's too warm for apples here but my banana tree is growing and, if I'm lucky, I'll get some fruit off it next year.

It's quiet here today. I guess between work and layout weather, everyone else is off doing what they have to...or like. :)
 
Gee, Jim. I love days like this! No way I can work outdoors so I just have to spend more time working on the layout.......;) ;) :D Never dreary down there. The other thing I like here in the Finger Lakes is the faxct that we have 4 seasons here: Almost Winter, Winter, still Winter, and Construction. Right now it is Almost Winter. That time between running the Air Conditioner and turning on the Heat!

I've been doing an energy audit on a lot of stuff in my house to see where I can painlessly cut down on usage and have a bit more cash to spend as well as reduce my energy footprint. Got a book written by a guy that is an energy auditor. His family went off grid over a decade ago and uses solar power. They have all the amenities including Air Conditioning and other stuff but use only 4 Kws a day for a family of 4. I am going to try to get my use down to under 20 Kw a day......... And I am a family of 1 (just me). I found out that it costs me over $20 a year just to have the DVD player, Cable box, TV, and VCR plugged in. Not on, mind you, just plugged in. They are now on a switched power cord and will go back on only when decide that I am bored enough to watch the idiot box some some reason (a couple hours a month at most). I also found out that my going down cellar and turning all the lights on in the layout rooms and leaving them on 10 hours a day costs me around $12 a month. So now when I leave the room the lights go off. I have been using CFLs and regular fluorescents down their right along. If I was using 40w Incandescents instead on the layout, my monthly cost would be $72 just for the layout lights at my current cost for electricity!!!!!
 


Jeffrey, I guess the front has gone through Louisiana. It's still warm and humid here with a low of only 69 last night. Has some severe weather south of us but just some much needed rain here. We're up to almost an inch now and it's still raining some. That's the most rain we've had since 9/11.
Glad to hear you're getting some much-needed rain, finally. I remember what it was like here in Louisiana back in '97. It was so dry that even a small breeze would kick up a lot of dust, and on a windy day it was almost like a sand storm.
 
Hi everyone! Like Jim, with all the promising clouds and radar images, we have had a little over an inch of rain; maybe a little more coming. At least it has cooled off some and is around 62 degrees right now.

Paul, if that was me up in that tree, I would eat so many apples I would have to fall to the ground:D .

Ray, all people have to do is turn off everything they can think of and then go watch the power meter...it still turns. Anything with memory settings uses some power, not much, but when you have a lot it adds up. Many don't realize how much power their TV or computer uses and leave them on most of the time. When you realize that a large TV uses around 200 watts and about the same for computers then multiply that times the hour/day times 30 days it really adds up. It has always given me a laugh when a person wouldn't think about leaving a 100 watt light bulb burning 24/7 and then leave their computer on all the time.
I learned quickly not to use the halogens over my layout unless I have an op session or show-off time. Their total wattage is ~1000watts or 1kw/hr. When working, I mostly use only the fluorescent which is still too much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Got to use more energy efficient lightbulbs, were we are going to live get's the highest amount of sunshine in NZ per year, solar power come on down
 
Off Topic but WAY COOL!

Nice weather here today for the launch of Discovery (STS-120):)

The rains of the past few weeks have abated and NASA was able to light the candle on this puppy this morning. I had wanted to go down and see it up close and personal but one thing led to another and between medical appointments and family obligations was only able to stand out in the road in front of the house and watch Discovery sail toward the heavens over my back yard.

The Cape is 100 miles (160 klicks) down the coast and still the flame and smoke from the launches is breathtaking. My little 37mm objective lens on my POS Kodak doesn't do it justice. But here they are anyway.

1713355176_fc9a5da6b3_o.jpg


1712506887_1b1dd5a96d_o.jpg


1713357904_b8c3e3235b_o.jpg


1713359590_5ae4e34c2b_o.jpg

BTW, That's my Dog, Minnie in the road with me. A retired Sheriff K9 now in my care.

Next launch December 6 and I'm packing my Oxygen bottles and fueling up the T-Bird and going down to see Atlantis (STS-122) launch.

Scoot

ps=i posted this across the street too, but those people over there will just flame me for NOT being about trains:mad:
 
Scoot, My oldest Sister lived in Geneva, FL for many years. She and her husband used to own several small boats including a small houseboat. The family used to "camp" out in the bay a few miles away from the launches. He used to say that the heat from 3 or 4 miles away was so intense that you had to turn away from it. That must be awesome to see in person!
 
I'm almost finished with the locomotives for the Midland Gulf Railway. Here they are, pretty much as they sit at the moment. These are all Athearn locos.

Here you can see the PA2 and the GP50 and just to the right of the shed you can see the front of the F7-A.
Imag0001-6.jpg


In this shot you can see the SD9.
Imag0002-2.jpg


And here is the GP38-2, beat up and showing it's age.
Imag0005-2.jpg
 
Scoot, when I was in the Air Force we installed a new communications center (1964) in the command center at the Cape. We always had to stop working on data lines and etc. during a launch and that gave us the opportunity to see all the different launches. I sure enjoyed seeing all the fascinating things going on and all the crazy looking antennas. The prize launch was seeing the first Saturn I go up. We watched from the roof and it was actually blinding to see and we were ~1 mile away from the pad (if I remember correctly).
 


Scoot, when I was in the Air Force we installed a new communications center (1964) in the command center at the Cape. We always had to stop working on data lines and etc. during a launch and that gave us the opportunity to see all the different launches. I sure enjoyed seeing all the fascinating things going on and all the crazy looking antennas. The prize launch was seeing the first Saturn I go up. We watched from the roof and it was actually blinding to see and we were ~1 mile away from the pad (if I remember correctly).
Unsure if it was back then, but today it's Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Patrick AFB. USAF 45th Space Wing. They're the ones that launch the "Sensative Military" payloads from here.

Night launches are unbelievable. Here's a shot of STS-116 launched in December 06. At 100 miles, I cast a shadow from the Shuttle flames.
321808857_d7706ffd43_o.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top