Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning
Potofcoffeepouring.gif

cid_003901c6b330ad0b78500a01a8c0use.gif

Happy MRRing
freight.gif
 
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/19/2007


Wind Chill: 63°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 61°F

So Far Today
High: 64°F
Low: 63°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph ENE

Today High: 75 Patchy fog in the morning. Otherwise partly cloudy with isolated showers. Highs in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 60 Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows around 60. Light and variable winds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Bill , Phillip , Luct & Jeffrey , Another nice day here so far but rain in forecast . Bills got beaten badly last night on the National Stage. Oh well maybe next time. gotta get going and you guys are right Thumbnails would be better for slower computers. Will only post thumbnails in here from now on . You guys have a nice day !
 


Good morning folks

It is a raw morning here in the Delaware Valley. The temperature as I stepped out was 35 F with rain and wind. High today is supposed to be 46 F with the rain lasting all day into tomorrow.

I have been feeling under the weather the last few days. I think I have come down with the first cold of the season. I have been coughing off and on and generally feel lousy. I am surprised I made it work today. I am not sure how long I will last, however.

We had a busy weekend. We had a Cub Scout bowling party on Friday night. On Saturday we collected the bags my son put out last week for Scouting for Food. We confirmed that we live on Scrooge Street. We put out 22 bags and got 6 back. Of course almost none of our neighbors give out Halloween candy and very few decorate for Christmas. Overall our pack count was down too. Along with the Boy Scout Troop we collected about 570 cans which I am told is down from last year’s 1000 cans. We are thinking it is the economy and the high price of gas and oil around here. Everyone is in deathly fear of their first heating bill. We also did the grocery shopping and some Christmas shopping.

On the workbench and layout I got nothing done. Fighting off this cold had a lot to do with why. I did, however, run some trains for a while last night.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Afternoon everyone!

Been mowing my lawn today........... Finally most of the leaves have dropped of the neighborhood trees so I will finish up and get the mower into storage this afternoon. A bit chilly here in Finger Lakes today with a 42 high and 32 low predicted for tonight. But all told, a pleasant day just the same.
 
G'morning, everyone!

Not much to report from this corner of the world. Weather-wsie, cold & dreary with light fog. My kids are all inconsolable now, because they just found out their cousins from Alabama will only be in Maryland 3 days over Christmas, rather than the usual 10 days; their aunt (my sister-in-law) doesn't get along with her parents, so she's "sending a message" and making all the kids suffer! :mad:

Continued with my covered hopper conversions, swapping the large body sections was easy - it's the small details, such as replacing the grabs and vertical supports, that require a large amount of patience. At least it's a bona fide MRR activity, something I haven't really done much of lately.
 
Good morning

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/20/2007


Wind Chill: 64°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 62°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SSE

Now through 09:15 AM CST November 20, 2007

Areas of dense fog will continue across central and southwest Louisiana as well as southeast Texas through 9 AM. This fog will produce visibilities to one quarter mile or less at times. Motorists are urged to use extra caution while traveling across the area this morning and allow extra time to reach your destination.

Today High: 82 Areas of fog in the morning. Otherwise partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain showers. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds up to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Mostly cloudy. Areas of fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.
 
Good morning folks

It was 43 F and raining when I left for work. High today with a 50-50 chance of rain is 53 F. I was a little late getting out as a result of having a hard time getting up because of the night time cold medicine I took before going to bed, and an argument with the toaster that would not surrender a pop tart.

No modeling last night. We took my daughter out to get her Christmas dress which required a trip to Newark, DE. Funny how one store near us had nothing but the same store in Delaware had three dresses that we liked and bought.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning All ! Well looks like this front is over most of the Norteast . But it's warm at least. High is 54 so not bad for us. Thanksgiving their perdicting snow for us . Just what we need to get around. Well gotta go make sure all the garbage is out so you all have a great day !!!!
 


Morning, Everyone. Another fine day in Dixie after getting another whopping .08 inches of rain showers yesterday. We're supposed to get some more rain tomorrow with some possibly severe thunderstorms tomorrow night. Alabama gets some honkin' thunderstorms when they get going.

Spend yesterday painting some more clouds on my backdrop and whining about the stock market. At this rate, I'll be reduced to buying Tyco rolling stock. :eek: I'm always surprised at how complicated it is to paint clouds. I've used five shades of white and gray I'm still not quite satisfied - but they look better than Walthers clouds. :)

I've also been stringing little tiny colored transparent beads on fishing line for Christmas ornaments on the threes in front of the Courthouse so we can have our town Christmas tree lighting this weekend. They really do look like ornaments when you're done but, man, what tedious work. It's hard to believe some people do this for a hobby.:rolleyes:

Hope everyone has a good day. Philip, I hope the wife is starting to feel better and things are going well with her too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' everyone!

Just a usual cold dreary day here in the Finger Lakes. Would be a great day to work on the layout, except for the multitude of "must do's" that have to be done. Haven't even bought the Turkey for the feast yet. Actually I have lots of time as the family will be at my house on Saturday.

Have a good one where ever you may be!
 
Morning all! Flo, I'm ready for some lunch. Danged you're looking goood today:p :D .

I finally got my Bachmann light mountain back together after having it completely apart trying to get rid of a bit of jerkiness. She now runs smooth as silk. Most of the problem was the slider rails for the piston rod, but I also was able to get rid of a few manufacturing burrs and do a complete preventative maintenance job.

Finally started back on the signal project. Yeah, I know: talk, talk, talk. Well, my procrastination has been fairly justified considering that I have to darn near rewire the whole garage size layout meaning the layout will be down beginning day after Thanksgiving. So far, I have managed to design in the block locations, decided on a location for the control board, and gathered up the materials needed. Also, I have firmly decided to go with Railroad & Co. for the software and will be ordering that next week. Block detection and signal decoders are already on site and are Digitrax. I estimate the initial wiring phase to take 1-2 months.

Ken: Too bad about the Alabama cousins. When a kid, I always looked forward to seeing mine on Thanksgiving. The Aunts would cook a spread that would make the Pilgrims proud. After eating, the Uncles would nap, the Aunts would gossip, and we would run wild.:D
 
Ken: Too bad about the Alabama cousins. When a kid, I always looked forward to seeing mine on Thanksgiving. The Aunts would cook a spread that would make the Pilgrims proud. After eating, the Uncles would nap, the Aunts would gossip, and we would run wild.:D

Ken, that is a bummer for your family.

Rex, that is a bit like my Grandmother's house when I was a kid. I can still hear her call to her husband in a very profound voice. "Guy! Bring out the 2nd. Turkey!" She was insulted if you didn't eat at least 3 huge helpings of her stuffing. I still make it the way she did. I will be using over 3 loaves of bread for 6 of us. If I don't, the leftovers all get taken home by the rest of the family, so I make sure there is plenty so I have some leftovers...
 
So, I know this next photo contest will have a winter theme, but I just randomly thought up a good one for later.

"Best digital editing", add steam, smoke, backdrops, yourself, fog, rain, nighttime, "in building", "in cab"...
 
Morning all!

Well, the wife is starting to hobble around, though she had a issue with her pain meds yesterday. It's all good now though.

Weather was nice yesterday. Mid sixties and a light breeze. Not so nice today though.

3760_G.jpg


Today: Turning colder with rain & possibly a thunderstorm - am high 65 then falling temps

Tonight: Much colder with rain changing to snow showers late - low: 35

Thanksgiving Day: Breezy & much colder, a few flurries - high: 38

Nothing like a 30 degree drop in a single day to put the old immune system to the test!
 
Good morning folks

It is warming up again. It was 47 F as I left for work this morning. High today is supposed to be 62 F. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 67 F with rain. Hopefully the rain will be later and the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade will go off without a hitch. The Philadelphia parade is the oldest Thanksgiving Day parade in the country. It was started by Gimbels (of course that meant that Macys had to have a parade also). When the Gimbels closed a local TV station and Boscovs Department Stores stepped in to sponsor the parade. Now that Channel 6 is owned by Disney the parade has been getting more and more high tech every year. Also one of the big parts of the parade is the Boy Scouts marching and collecting food for the annual Channel 6 Boys Scouts Holiday Food Drive.

No modeling last night. I did get a chance to run my new Bachmann RF-16 Sharknose locos. I got the Baldwin Demonstrator scheme. They did well easily pulling a 24 car train around the layout at slow speed and normal speed. Here is a shot of them.

Baldwin_Sharks002a.jpg


Baldwin_Sharks004a.jpg


Turkey day around our household is subdued. We have a small family consisting of the wife, two kids, my father-in-law, and myself. We will have a nice turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Afterwards the wife will kick into Christmas decorating mode. Black Friday we plan to be no where near any stores or malls until late in the day if at all. We would like to go over to the church and clean out the Cub Scout closet.

I hope everybody has a good day and a Happy Thanksgiving.
 
Good Morning All ! Bill , Phillip & Tom , Another rainy day here on The Niagara frontier. Suppose to get colder with 3 inches of snow for Thanksgiving. Suppose to go to my sister's house which is 20 miles away and down the Niagara Escarpment . hope they get the roads salted . Phillip happy to hear that your wife is hobling around. tom fine looking Locos' there. Well have to get going so you all hav ea nice day !
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Good Morning, Everyone. Up early today putting up a few Christmas lights outside. I'm cutting way back this year on lights. My wife really likes them but I'm hemorrhaging money in the market and I can't afford to pay Alabama Power $400 for lights. :(

Tom, my niece and nephew will be in the Philadelphia parade with the Prattville Band. It's a huge band for a high school, 125 members, but we like big bands and big football teams down here. They have been touring New York and Philadelphia and let's just say it's been an eye-opener for a couple of small town Alabama kids. :) Nice looking Sharks, especially in that scheme. Sharks aren't my favorite locomotives but at least the NYC made them look respectable.

Phillip, sorry to hear about the pain med issue but that often happens. Glad to hear it's sorted out. I'm sure she'll be hobbling around putting up Christmas stuff tomorrow. Women are as bad about that as we are with our trains. :D

I remember many a Thanksgiving in Cleveland when we couldn't get to Grandma's house because of snow. Paul, I hope that snow doesn't cause you too many problems. I really grew to hate those long winters in Cleveland. OTOH, it's 63 degrees here right now and we may pick up some more rain today and tonight.

I was in Wallyworld the other day, wandering around the paint section, when I spied a 3M sponge looking sander. It is 400 fine grade and about six inches long. I picked it up and thought "Hey, this feels just like a Brite Boy". It was 4 bucks so I thought I'd give it a try. Sure enough, it works just like a Brite Boy. You can cut it into smaller pieces for tight spaces and use the bigger hunk to clean parallel tracks all at the same time. I figure this will outlast about 10 Brite Boy's. So, there's my money saving tip for today as I watch the market fall another 171 points and oil head for $100 a barrel.:eek:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top