ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
RECORD HIGH SATURDAY IN INDIANAPOLIS! The high in Indianapolis hit 89 yesterday afternoon, breaking the old record of 88 from 1946. This is the 2nd day in a row of a record high...and more record heat is possible today & Monday.
COLTS TAILGATE PLANNER: Weather outside of the dome on Sunday is much more suitable for Bucs fans. Hazy sunshine will quickly push temperatures from the low 80s in the morning to near 90 as you head into the dome. Here is a map of expected highs today. (Are we good now? I got the weather out!)
Well yesterday I managed to get a few jobs on my own list of things to done. I got the lawn mowed and I did the brakes on my car. Both jobs were needing done pretty badly. Grass has been slow to grow with little rain and lots of this guy hanging around......... Mr. Heat ...........so I've been putting it off. Yesterday it was time though, so I dragged out the mower and did my thing. And the brakes,.....well,.....I've been needing to do that for a little while and I figured I'd rather do it in 90 degree weather then 40 degree weather, ya know?
Still have a few more things on the list to take care of, but I heard that one of our church members is going to reroof his garage today, so I may just head over there and lend a hand.
Good Morning ALL Boy I'm sorry I said anything about tires but there are quite a few coming in from other countries . Check your tires. And Goodyear is the only American owned tire company. But enough of that . Luc your pool table looks just fine . Wish I had one . Ray that is a nice accomplishment to know one of your students is doing so well . As I'm sure a lot more are. We had quite thunderstorm come through our way last night. Cold front from Canada.It;s not too bad out now the calm after the storm I guess. take care all and have a real nice day !!!
Hey Flo, Are the hornets gone? ............. OK, It's safe to come in? Afternoon to everyone!
Looks like the rain is going to hold off for a while, so I may work outside on the wood pile and see if I can get the unsplit pile down a ways. Hope everyone has an enjoyable day!
Hi Flo and everyone! No, not any hornets around and we shouldn't beat the nest.
Paul, you are right that GoodYear is the only major American owned tire company left. (I'm not sure about Cooper, General, and some of the smaller names.) Same thing has happened to our home electronics and so many other industries. There was a time not long ago that all the major companies in my town were 100% American owned; now less than half and that includes our steel mini-mill. Of course, Mercedes changed the face of things when they opened the M class plant (now M, C, R, classes) and brought many foreign suppliers to town. It did provide many needed jobs and gave the economy a terrific boost, but the big money leaves the country.
Rex i'm a buzzin,,, our company has proudly announced they are going to source 100% of truck parts from China within two years, thats the final nail in the coffin for the few UK based suppliers we have left, why can't they see it's going to kill us off, once all parts are made in China,,, why not assemble in china, or am i being synical
I couldn't agree with you guys more. I grew up in Detroit in the 50's and 60's. Days when you could find a job anywhere. Both of my parents worked for the Big 3. Mom for Chrysler in the Highland Park Offices. Dad for Ford at the Rouge Plant, a high climbing millwright. Times were GOOD! Then I remember the Crunch in the late 70's and 40% unemployment. Then the Me First, screw you Greed of the 80's. NAFTA created a sucking sound and our jobs went bye bye. Eisenhower warned the country in his farewell speech before congress in the early 50's. BEWARE the Military/Industrial Complex. Their only motivation is profit not the good of the country, or welfare of their workers. The Labor Unions protecting workers and their jobs were broken in the Air Traffic Controllers fiasco. and now we make absolutely NOTHING here. We're just sales clerks for Chinese and japanese and an assortment of other foreign "bosses". All of the movement of production to cheaper wage workers sure didn't make anything any less expensive, and in many cases the prices of those items rose. It has however done away with the American Middle Class and turned this once great nation into a bi-polar camp of Haves and the larger group of Have Nots. A ruling class overseeing and running business and government supported by the peon working poor.
Pete Townshend of The Who said it so aptly in the song "Made In Japan"
There aint nothin' made here
in this country anymore,
it's either made in Japan
Hong Kong or Singapore...
OK rant over and soap box put away.
or did I just start the "buzzing" all over again.
Sorry but this stuff just pushes every button I have. And I wonder why everyone else just sits back and accepts it.
Have you guys noticed though companys like Toyota and Honda have plants in America. Yes some stuff is built over in Asia but a lot of stuff is still built here. I deal with this stuff on a day to day basis in business.
Nick:
Sure they have plants here to beat the import duties and even in some cases, lower wages...would you believe. Both of these are reasons Mercedes located here in T-town, along with a very stubborn union in Germany. But again, the big money made from their plants leaves our country.
We need to know that 60% of ALL American Dollars are held "OVERSEAS". There is a finite amount of American Dollars. Some 460 (B)Billion + or -. With foreign companies and governments hoarding 60¢ of each and every $dollar. That only leaves 40¢ here for us. And when they have all of our currency? "OK Joe, We give you some you money back for Florida and Oregon? Sell them to us or you no get your money back. Then you broke. Then what you do GI?"
Or worse yet, they dictate to our elected officials just how the laws should be changed and just what parts of the Constitution and Bill of Rights they don't like and want us to change. The 4th amendment has already been neutralized. The First and Second have been severely crippled. *and to think that I once swore an oath to uphold and defend those documents against all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC*
I have returned. It was a long 3 days, but at least it was good to visit with Sarah and see firsthand that she's really happy at her college. I also took a drive along the Ohio River on State Hwy 7 and got a birds-eye view of the Wheeling-Pittsburgh steel works at Mingo Junction. Couldn't take any photos since I was alone and there wasn't really anyplace I could park to get good shots - don't want to ruffle any feathers in this post-911 era if you catch my drift!
Chip, even though I'm flat broke at the moment I'll try to make a perfunctory appearance. Esp. if I know any of my out-of-town friends will be there. What day and time were you thinking of going?
My Bro In Law (yeah that one) has always been a Cat owner (diggers loaders) Well now he imports parts from China and sells them to Cat owners, the stuff is alot cheaper and hes still making a heap of $$$$$$$. Whats this going to do to the local Cat dealer? the one he has been loyal too for many years!! Hes gone too far this time.
Boy some carnage over the street again an imposter got in the door and had some fun, you guys might know that I'm kinda on-board over there and boy my keyboard got a bashing, every one I deleted another two posts popped up.
I'm trying to get my hands (mouse??) on some more Moderator tools.
Good Morning Bill ! And to all others arriving . Happy Columbus Day ! To my fella Americans and Happy Thanksgiving Day ! To all you Canadians. You really have something to be thankful this year . Your dollar is worth more then our dollar . So come on down here and spend your money and make us rich Lol. Anyhow a nice day to all !!!!
Well, we continue with the goofy weather here in Indiana!
ANOTHER RECORD HIGH! The temperature in Indianapolis reached 90 Sunday afternoon...marking a record for this date (old record 87, 1916) & tying the warmest October high ever. This is only the 3rd 90-degree day in the month of October (and latest ever) since record keeping began in 1871!!! That means, of the more than 4200 days in October in the last 136 years...hitting 90 in the month has happened less than 1% of the time!!!
TODAY: More record heat is possible on today, when highs again will approach 90. I think it should stay dry for the most part. Rain chances won't arrive until later this evening.
Today the wife heads back to the dentist. She has a tooth giving her problems, so lets hope they can fix that!
My Bro In Law (yeah that one) has always been a Cat owner (diggers loaders) Well now he imports parts from China and sells them to Cat owners, the stuff is alot cheaper and hes still making a heap of $$$$$$$. Whats this going to do to the local Cat dealer? the one he has been loyal too for many years!! Hes gone too far this time.
Boy some carnage over the street again an imposter got in the door and had some fun, you guys might know that I'm kinda on-board over there and boy my keyboard got a bashing, every one I deleted another two posts popped up.
I'm trying to get my hands (mouse??) on some more Moderator tools.
It sure says something when amassing the largest amount of $$$ in the shortest time seems to be peoples main goal in life. We all live in this place together need to watch out for our neighbor. I still try my best to buy american products, a most difficult task in the past couple decades I must say. I realized the importance of this living in Detroit during the Japanese car flood of the late 70's and 80's. If I bought a Toyota, then my next door neighbor would get laid off and his wife and kids would go hungry. He would have to cut back his spending and so the local store would have less business and have to lay off a stock boy and a sales clerk. The driver who delivered goods to that store would have his hours cut back because the store wasn't ordering as much, etc... etc... etc... on down the line. Pretty soon, I might be the only fellow on the block working. Then I have to watch out for everyone trying to steal from me because they have no means of their own. UGH
I saw the bar-room brawl occurring over there. Although many of the same folks from over there are here also, folks here seem a tad easier going. That sorta' puzzles me. Same folks, different decor. Hmmm... maybe this wallpaper has some kind of soothing effect, or perhaps Flo puts something "special" in the coffee.
I'm a Mod on a 'totally unrelated to trains' site and have never seen the kind of childish, mean spirited free-for-all that I witnessed there. Donnybrook is a good word for the goings on. It was worse than a Wings-Avalanche game... Gloves and helmets hitting the ice, benches emptying. *i went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out*
OK, I'll shut my yap before folks here get unfriendly and start giving me the cold shoulder here, like they seem to do across the street.
Good morning. Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/8/2007
Heat Index: 78°F Humidity: 94% Dew Point: 72°F
So Far Today High: 74°F Low: 72°F Rain: 0.00" Rain Rate: 0.00"/h Gust: 5mph NNE
Today High: 88Mostly cloudy with a50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds around 5 mph.
Tonight Low: 70Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows around 70. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.
Mornin' KenM! That wouldn't be our old friend Al masquerading as JW would it? Can't believe that someone actually told all the jerks over there who locked up their foul mouthed responses! I see WPF got reopened only to be locked again after a few posts. Some people never learn. The character of that site has really changed for the worse over the last year. I'm not sure I'm going to continue posting over there on the weekends.
Morning everyone! Gonna be another warm day here in the Finger Lakes. Predicted high is 82°. May have to start the air conditioner again this afternoon. The average first frost date here is October 15. The low tonight is predicted to be 64°.