Coffee Shop Part VI

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever seen a Hall type locomotive?

061.jpg


060.jpg


059.jpg


057.jpg


056.jpg


055.jpg
 
Phillip, I can relate. Friday was my son's 15th B-day, we all had devils food chocolate cake for desert. Delicious, but holy mackaral - what a migraine I developed a few hours later! (Chocolate often does that to me, when will I ever learn :rolleyes:.) I had to take 6 Advils to suppress the pain enough for me to fall asleep...

Jeffrey is that steamer a model of an English prototype?

Spent most of my free time installing decoders today. Found out the hard way that P2K diesels are very finicky about what type of decoders I can put in them - oh well! At least I have another Kato unit I can put this one into...
 


Jeffrey is that steamer a model of an English prototype?
Yes. The Kinlet Hall. I have to change the number on it but haven't gotten around to it yet. It should be 4936. the number that's on it is 5972, the Olton Hall, which is a modified Hall Class locomotive.

Today's weather for Sundown, Louisiana.

Today High: 92 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...increasing to scattered in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Light and variable winds becoming southeast around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable. Chance of rain 20 percent.

074-fa1R.jpg
 
Good Morning Bill & Jeffrey !!! Another beautiful day here on the Niagara Frontier . Hope everyone else has a nice Sunday Also !!! Take care
 
Good Morning World! Mornin' Bill, Jeffrey, Paul!

Jeffrey you are having way too much fun with that $10 camera....;) :D Nice photos.

Having survived the loco derailment yesterday, I spent all last night 'til after midnight working on the photos of the day. Here is a couple to tease you.

First, I was in this RS1 when it derailed yesterday. We were barely moving when it happened. We heard a "whump" and felt the loco shudder. The engineer pushed the throttle off and yanked on the brake. Looked around in the cab and said, "I didn't like the sound of that! I'm getting off!" Took about an hour to get the old girl back on the track. The rail at the points was evidently out of gauge.

Derail1w.png


How about one of these for your layout?

RochGeneseeMus15w.png


I'll post a few more over at the Weekend Photo thread. The entire days collection can be viewed here:
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/RochesterGeneseeValleyRR/?start=0
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

Rain and more rain is the forecast for the next couple of days. I thought I was going to mow the lawn yesterday but it has been raining steadily since noon yesterday. I guess my son will have a few muddy football practices this week. High temperatures are supposed to be in seventies most of the week. Right now it is 61 F with a high of only 69 F expected.

We went bike riding with our Cub scout pack on Saturday. We rode the Radnor Trail which is built over the old right-of-way of the Philadelphia & Western Strafford Line. The line began life as a railroad but was converted to a third rail interurban. It was abandoned in the late fifties. It was interesting to see some of the remains of the old station platforms and such along the trail. Sunday we did some more Back to School Shopping.

I even had a good modeling weekend. I finished weathering the seven tanks cars that have been on my workbench for months. I still have to seal them with Dullcoat. I repaired the coupler box on friend’s caboose. I even got a chance to run some trains.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/20/2007


Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 77°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph NNE

Today High: 92 Partly sunny with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

Here we have some folks wating for a train.
a05.jpg
 


Good Morning Bill & Tom !!! A bit overcast today . Have to run out going to a funeral of an old friend today . She was a good woman who became the first Lady Mayor of our city and later served in New Yorrk's Assembly . Died of cancer at 65 . Ray looks like you had some fun at the RR Museum. Jeffrey I really like your new camera and photos of your layout. have a good day all . Have to get going !!!Morning to you also Jeffrey !
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Mornin' Tom!

Mornin' Paul!

Got to get over to the camp where they are having Cub Scout Resident Camp and take some footage and stills. See you all later.
 
Morning fellas, donuts are on me for today!!! Boy I'm just not having good luck with the track leading up to and exiting my bridge. I worked on it like crazy friday night. Tried out my biggest baddest engines and the curves is still a little too tight. Looks like I'm going to take up some track and make the area where the track sits wider to accomodate for a larger radius curve. You know there needs to be a jig made for flex track so you can set it to the radius you want and lay the track in the jig and get the right radius out. Well tonight I plan to fix the darn thing if it takes me till 1 in the morning. Ok enough ranting from me. Time to get to work.
 
Morning all!

Nick, sounds like you're haveing a bit of a hard time. At least you have a plan though. You'll get it worked out!
 
Nick I do not know what gauge you are setting up (you may have said earlier but I have slept since then) but in N gauge they have these aluminum jigs that you put between the rails with holes in them so you can put nails to hold the track in place. I remember seeing the once for HO but cannot remember where. The N gauges have radii 9", 12", 15", 18", 24" and 36" also a straight gauge. I can tell you they work extremely well.
 
Last edited:
Hi all!
Yeah Nick, they make them for HO. Unfortunately, everyone seems to be out including Walthers http://walthers.com/exec/search?quick=ribbonrail&start=0
and First Place Hobbies http://www.1stplacehobbies.com./tra...ers=&pl=&ph=&sp=12&fp=11&pc=0&is=0&ni=0&spc=0

You may want to call around or surf other sites. They are very handy when you have some hard to reach or see areas. I always use them to at least get me in the ball park.
Question: are you having a problem with the locos hitting the bridge on the swing or is the radius just too tight for them to operate?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rex, the locos are clearing the bridge it's just the radius is too tight. I talked to my father-in-law earlier and he said he could cnc me a couple gauges since everyone is out. Nothing like having a machinist for a father-in-law :D
 
I know that my local Hobbytown carries them, and they can do a store to store transfer if you have one of them near you. It'll probably just take a day or two. I've done this with them in the past and it works out real good.
 


Nick: Man yeah, that's the ticket! Do you have a photo of the Ribblonrail gauges? They are about 4-5" long and the width is for a tight fit between the rails and sit on top of the cleats about even with the top of the rails. If you need me to put a (cheap)caliper on one for more accuracy, I will. In fact, if I were you I would make them longer...I wouldn't mind having some about 12" long;) .;) :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top