Coffee Shop Part VI

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning everyone!

Well, looks like we can crank the temps back up again today! It's not bad now, but later it's going to get toasty again.

temps.jpg


Some Hoosiers are cleaning up after a storm night. A complex of storms, that developed just south of Lake Michigan, plowed through north central Indiana...causing wind damage & a possible tornado. You can clearly see the path of the storm with this storm report map of the region from last night.

REST OF TODAY: One-step outside this morning will be all the proof you need that today will be a very humid day. With dewpoints in the upper 60s & low 70s, and highs this afternoon in the 90s........heat indices will be approaching 100 & maybe higher!

The atmosphere will be very unstable, and moisture-laden....meaning storms should develop with daytime heating. Though the greatest threat for severe weather will be along & south of I-70....any storms that develop will have heavy rain & dangerous lightning potential.

Should be an interesting day weatherwise!


Phillip Was that taken north of town or south, I was at the True Value Home Center when they went thru.

I was standing about here when I shot the video. http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...ng about here to shoot the movie.__&encType=1 You can close the little popup menus for a better view.

Small world, huh?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin all,,, wet and cool today,,, nice, no allergy trouble today

I bet we get lumbered with the very middle caravan on the park, thats what i am hoping for so if we get one on the edge i'll be more than happy, off to get fishing supplies now, we'll need plenty and they are expensive down there so i'm stocking up local.

Prayers to the folks of Peru who perished in the earthquake.
 
Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/16/2007

Heat Index: 91°F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 76°F

So Far Today
High: 83°F
Low: 77°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph E

Today High: 95 Partly sunny with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. East winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Tonight Low: 75 Mostly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.

steak-eggs-1.jpg
 


Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Philip!

Mornin' Steve!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Going to be a hot one today in the Finger lakes! Already 80°F and may get up to 81°F. Man am I glad I have air conditioning! Man am I glad I don't live out where you do Philip! I'd melt in your kind of weather........ ("I'm MELTING!!!!!!!!!!") Got the remaining scenery painted at Hopewell Junction last night and have started to scratch build a band stand.
 
Good morning folks

It is humid around the Delaware valley this morning and we are expecting showers and thunderstorms at some point during the day. It is 80 F now with a high of 92 F expected. My son is supposed to have his first football scrimmage tonight, so hopefully the rain will hold off.

I finished weathering the trucks on the seven tank cars I started before vacation. Now I need to weather the bodies.

Speaking of vacation this is the first chance I have gotten to post something since we got back Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. We went to Curacao, Netherlands Antilles. We had great weather. The food was great and the locals treated us nicely. We did a bunch of snorkeling and swimming. We also toured the island and were amazed by its diversity and contrasts. The city of Willemstad has some outstanding architecture and beauty. It is currently undergoing a massive restoration project. We visited various natural wonders such as the underwater caves at Boca Tabla, the beautiful beaches such as Knipbay. Since the island is very arid there was plenty of cactus everywhere. We visited an ostrich ranch and the Curacao Liqueur Distillery.

The only bad thing I can say about the vacation was regarding air travel. The flights to Curacao were uneventful. The one problem we did have was with TSA and their checking of our checked luggage. They basically destroyed all of our shampoos, soaps, sunscreen, toothpastes. It appeared that tested everything which I can understand. Lucky for us we had things in Ziplock bags which they sprayed or squeezed everything into. I would recommend that anyone travels to pack extra Ziplock bags to replace the ones that are filled with various soaps, sunscreens, etc. Coming home the flight from Curacao was Okay except once we got to Miami we sat for about 40 minutes on the taxiway waiting for a gate. Going through Immigration and Customs was relatively easy since we had all our documentation filled out before hand. Once we got to the terminal that our flight was leaving from we found that they only had one eatery and the food was outrageously expensive, even for an airport. My wife bought 2 sodas, 2 sandwiches, and a bag of chips and spent $22.00. Also the people running the establishment were as friendly as a pit of angry rattlesnakes. My son and I had to go through two other terminals to find better food which we did and brought back to my wife and daughter. We got 4 personal pizzas, two orders of breadsticks, one hot dog, and two sodas for $23.00. Our flight was supposed to leave Miami at 8:45 PM. It was moved back to 9:10 PM. We did not begin boarding until 9:45 PM. By the time we landed in Philadelphia and got our luggage it was close to 1 AM and it was about 1:30 AM when we got home. If all had gone according to schedule we should have been home well before midnight. If we travel that way again I will try to avoid the Miami Airport like the plague. We have been through there three times now and each time it got worse than the time before.

Sorry for the rant and I guess it is time for me to pipe down.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning ALl ! Steve hope you have a wonderful holiday ! Peru too bad feel sorry for those poor souls. Tom it feels good to get those rants out . Phillip sorry but it disn't that hot up here. Well hope all have a grat day and some of us try to stay cool!!!
 
Tom Sounds like a nice vacation. I had a good friend that went to somewhere in the Caribbean for a four day mini vacation. The filight down was on one of those 1 seat this side and two on that side planes out of Atlanta. The hotel lost their reservations they had made seven months before. They were told the rooms wold be ready at 5. At 5:30 they were upgraded to a suite and were told the rooms would be ready at 6. Finally they got into their rooms at 8:30. On the way out of the island paradise a $22 per head tax had been added just to get off of the island. My friends step-son only had $17 on him and the phone charge was $1.50 for 50 seconds. After $4.50 he finally got ahold of his mother and she had to taxi to the airport so he could get off of the island. Sounded like the vacation for hades to me but he said it could have been worse. Also his grandson was a little brat for the whole four days. He is four years old and usually a well behaved kid but not this time. I think all of my vacations will be her in the lower 48 and I will drive to most of them.
 
Hobbs, Indiana?

My first tipoff to this little hole-in-the-wall town was the station (main office) from this diminuative town that was relocated to the Indiana Transportation Museum in Noblesville, Indiana. Here's a pic of the station:

afh.jpg


So I decided to see what might be left of the RR at this tiny hamlet. As I was driving up, one throwback to this towns past was glaringly obvious:

Picture057.jpg


Other then that, it seemed that not much else was left from this long ago whistle stop along the old Nickle Plate Railroad. But that's when I stumbled onto this little gem!

Picture060.jpg


Picture061.jpg


Seems that someone decided to fence this old relic in.....and there she sits, a gentle reminder of the past.

I hope you enjoyed your brief tour of Hobbs, Indiana. Little is left now, but the station and a few key items live on!
 
Wow, Coke and Pepsi machines:eek: :D I love finding history in small towns but never seem to have my camera:mad:

Ken.
 


Good morning folks

I feel like I am back in Curacao with the heat and humidity this morning. It was downright unpleasant when I walked out the door. According to the cicadas that were buzzing in the trees this morning it is going to be a hot one. Weather guessers say it is going to be 89 F with lessening humidity. It is only 79 F now but it felt hotter.

My son had a good scrimmage last night. He played middle linebacker and defensive tackle which are the positions he wants to play. He got Shanghaied into playing offensive tackle when the projected starter did not performed well. My son was annoyed because after the scrimmage the coach said he may have earned a starting position at OT. My son hates the offensive line. Despite his dislike for the position he did make me proud when after the scrimmage and I was talking to him, he said he would do play the position because the team needed him. The concept of teamwork seems to be finally sinking in.

I began weathering the tank cars. I hit each of them with a wash. Next is some airbrush weathering of the bottom of the cars.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning Bill , Tom ANother fine day here in Buffalo Temps will be in the low 70's . Phillip nice pics there and Bill thanks for the history behind the little station . Hope all have a nice day !!!
 
Morning fellas!! Well it's finally friday!! Busy weekend ahead of me, hopefully I'll have a little time to myself to finish mrr projects I've started. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
 
Mornin' all!

Tough morning this morning! Had to go and pay a bill for $322 and then had to fill up the tank in the van. That was $60! I was out almost $400 and I hadn't even made it to work yet! I hate days that start out like that!

A wind of change flowing through central Indiana will snap our latest bout of hot air....pushing the 90s down south, and providing less humid conditions for today & tomorrow. The dry air, light wind & clear conditions tonight will lead to overnight lows dipping into the 50s! Saturday should be one of the best days we've had in quite sometime...who could complain about sunshine & highs in the low 80s? Not me!

Well, the family should be back from vacation on Sunday. Guess I'll have to do some cleaning before they get home so they can come home to a nice looking place. Gotta get the carb rebuilt on the daughters car too! Should have time for all of it though. Clean tonight and rebuild the carb tomorrow.....no problem!

So whats up with all of you?


My grandfather's (Charles O. Tidler) B&B gang built the Hobbs depot. I believe you can find his name written on one of the timbers or boards in it. He started with the LE&W in 1917 and worked up until sometime in the 1960s.

You ought to swing by the museum and see if you can find it!

(And it's "Nickel", not "Nickle" [;)])

I knew that. Why didn't I catch that?

I'm the last Tidler that has worked continuously for the same railroad (through three mergers-LE&W, NKP, N&W and NS)) since 1910 and I will soon be retired in a few months. I live five miles west of Hobbs in the big city of Tipton.
Nice pics. Thanks ! [:D]

Hey, early congrats on the retirement! Yeah, I almost drove on it to Tipton, but I headed south on 213 instead. I wanted to swing by Lapel to see if the CI&W had gotten any further on the repaint of their loco's and the sun was heading down. When I got there I found that they hadn't done anything.....oh well.

Thats pretty cool working for the same RR all those years and seeing all of that history.


Tom, sounds like that son of yours is really a good kid. It's great to see some of the kids these days growing up right. The media spends so much time looking at the ones who haven't had that same loving attention given to them that it's easy to forget that there are all kinds of kids out there, not just the ones going wild. Keep it up man!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' Bill! Cool info. If I ever get out your way, I will look you up for a tour.....:cool: :D You are going to love retirement.

Woah! Look at the crowd in here this morning! Howdy, howdy, howdy!

What a day I am going to have! I get to take my two 6 year old kitty cats to the vet this morning. Ever try to get a very strong 18lb. cat into the carrier when he knows where he will be going????? Actually the 16.5 pounder is worst. He hasn't even appeared this morning. Not only this but the little bit of rain we had has made the lawn start growing again so I will get do that sometime in the next couple of days.

The Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum is having Diseasal Days (I know its spelled diesel but I love the play on words as a steam guy...) this weekend. It starts at the NY Museum of Transportation. They will have Loco and caboose rides and possibly trolley rides included in the admission fee ($8). I will be going over on Saturday. Anyone else planning on going?
 
Good morning.

Not much going on in my neck of the woods. I just have to go out today to pay some bills.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/17/2007

Heat Index: 88°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 75°F

So Far Today
High: 81°F
Low: 77°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph ESE

Through 11 AM...scattered showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop and move north or northwest across the area. Rainfall rates will average a tenth to a quarter of an inch...but the heavier showers and storms could produce up to an inch in an hour. Occasional lightning and wind gusts to 25 mph will also accompany the thunderstorms.

Today High: 92 Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 75 Decreasing clouds. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds.

scambledeggs.jpg
 
A wind of change flowing through central Indiana will snap our latest bout of hot air....pushing the 90s down south,

Thanks Phillip, we could use the cold snap.:D :D :D

Reading about the vacations certainly makes me think twice about going to some of these places. The actual travel hassle is what I hate and your experiences just reinforces that. Hopefully, your fun times will be the memories you keep.;)

Love the piece of history, Tom/Bill. I wish we had a lot more of that on this forum. Eric has done a great job and I wish more would post their local history excursions. Where is Eric? Hey, Grandeman!

Nick, did you ever get the bridge and track in?
 


Got the bridge to sit in place and mocked up the track curves to it. Looks to be promising, I plan on semi-permanently laying the curves down tonight to actually test my big locos across it. If it works I'll make the curves permament then I plan on finishing up my roller drawer for hiding my zephyr controller when not in use.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top