Coffee Shop Part V

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon Flo, Sabrina! How about a great big cup o' joe!

Rex,

Talk about a spring christmas! I got sumpin' in the mail earlier this week! :)A 1943 ORER, reprint from NMRA.:D Only cost me $34 with shipping. Last train show I went to, a vendor had them for $75-150 apiece, and some were missing pages. :confused: Course those were originals.

Also got a real good present last night. SOME REAL LIVE RAIN! :D:DIt was only 1.5" by my rain gauge but who cares. I almost forgot what it was like!:p A thunderstorm parked over us and we had a light and thunder show from 7PM until way after midnight! Loved every minute of it. The bed of my pickup has about 4" of water in it from all the rain.:eek:
 
Ahhh, I have to wait until next week, they're going to override the order and express mail it here. Stupid cell companies.
 
Morning crew! (I do remember what the conversation was about, but I'll never tell! :p )

Why? Because our refrigerator, which is supposed to be covered by warranty, hasn't worked for over 2 weeks --- even after 2 visits by repairmen!:mad: I'll never buy another Sears appliance again, EVER!

That's bad Ken, if I have a problem fridge and can't get it right first time, I arrange a loan from the company. Fisher & Paykel will also pay for all the lost food.

We are usually at the customers house next day and have most of the parts on board, but we're talking a wee country with only a few brands.:D

Ken.
 


I got up last week and the fridge light didn't come on but it was running, i told the fridge filler to keep an eye on it, when i got home it was empty, only wanted a bulb but the wife took no chances and took everything to mum's.
 
Ken,

I recommend that you don't buy anything from Sears. Now I know someone is going to say what about their tools. Crap. I've busted so many of their sockets on the job, and each time I had to stop work and go get a replacement. Which by the way, I've yet to have on in stock when I needed it. I've since replaced everything with either Mac or Snap ON.

Short story.

I bought a $29.00 for $19 on sale to rip some 2 x 4s for a fence. Saw burnt up. I took it back and they didn't have that saw, but they had a $49 saw on sale for $29. That burnt up. I took it back and they only had the $79 saw on sale for $49. IT burnt up. You guessed it. They only had the $129 saw on sale for $79. That burnt up. (none lasted an hour) I took it back and got a $129 router that actually lasted a couple years--for $19 and a lot of running back and forth.

I bought a Skil 77 worm drive and that's all I use since then.
 
I got up last week and the fridge light didn't come on but it was running, i told the fridge filler to keep an eye on it, when i got home it was empty, only wanted a bulb but the wife took no chances and took everything to mum's.

I heard of a lady that went to the Shrink. She said "Dr. you have to help my husband, he is absolutely convinced he's a refrigerator". Said the shrink, "Vell my dear, half you told him that he ist not a refrigerator"? "Oh yes", said the lady, "again and again, but he still insists that he is a refrigerator and can't be told otherwise". "Hmmm", said the Dr., "Dat must be very difficult on you, my dear". "Oh it is!" "He sleeps with his mouth open at night, and that little light keeps me awake!"

Sometimes it is difficult to see just who is sane and who is .........
 
Well my wife Glendia has my day planned for me tomorrow. We spent over $250 for plants for the 4' X 24' area in front of our porch. 6 Winter Green Boxwoods, 6 Crimson Curl Coral bells, 6 Carex Evergolds and 6 Blue Cadet Hostas. A very nice mixture of color and textures. All are perinnuals meaning we should not have to replant for several years. She was getting tired of planting annuals yearly and still costing about $60 to $75 every year. Plus we also bought some plants for the circle in the middle of our driveway. I will be very tired tomorrow evening because we also have to till and plant the garden, 1/2 lb sweet corn and 1/2 lb of green beans and the green pepper plants plus whatever she pulls out. well off to bed for hopefully a good nights sleep.
 
Evening All: We worked on the track today in 90s temps and humidity. I'm bushed. We also found out that a bunch of guys are coming Monday to do some running. They are from out of state and are on there way to a meet further south. Well the track is ready.
I've got to print out some E-mails so I'd better get on it.
Good Night All
 
Good morning ! from Indiana. :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


05-13-07

:eek:

donuts_2.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
 
Morning, crew -

Not much mrr on Saturday, spent most of the day preparing the swimming pool for summer. 'Bama guys, glad to see you finally got some much-needed rain.

TX-Paul, looks like you'll be doing some operating soon in the great outdoors - enjoy!

Steve, better safe then sorry I suppose, especially if the Mum's fridge has room to hold it all.

That's bad Ken, if I have a problem fridge and can't get it right first time, I arrange a loan from the company. Fisher & Paykel will also pay for all the lost food.
Ken, apparently my warranty is managed thru a thrid-party company. They pay for any food that was lost at the initial failure, but not for incidental inconveniences. It takes them up to 5 days to get a repairman out here, and then they don't keep all the necessary parts on the truck (they cover dozens of different brands). The worst part is the idiotic computer that answers the phone and asks a gazzillon questions before you can talk to a live person.

...I recommend that you don't buy anything from Sears...
Chip, we've had so many people tell us how 'great' Sears is because of their warranties. And they all might've had good experiences with them, since in earlier days a Sears repairman fixed only Sears [Kenmore] appliances. But now, with all the different companies outsourcing their manufacturing to 3rd-world countries and just pasting their logo's on as soon as they're unloaded from the ship, it's impossible to know exactly what you're really getting.

(OK, enough ranting for now...:o )

I have 1 Soundtraxx LC 1st-gen decoder left, so yesterday I retrieved an Atlas GP7 from my in-laws' crawl space (where I 'temporarily' stored much of my train stuff during the relocation 7 yrs ago). Popped the shell, looks like it'll be a perfect fit. And no metal weight to cut down either, since the weight is all concentrated in walkway platform. I can't wait to run it on my friend's 1967-era B&O layout. With today being Mothers day though, I gotta focus on higher-priority things than decoder installs...;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


And they all might've had good experiences with them, since in earlier days a Sears repairman fixed only Sears [Kenmore] appliances.
And here I've had a medium size Kenmore fridge pluggin' away for going on 14 years now:). I bought it the same year I bought my trailer. 1993. I bet I couldn't get that kind of reliabilty today.


Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/13/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Heat Index: 70°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 72°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 88 Mostly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 60s. Light and variable winds.

Steak and eggs please.
steakandeggs.jpg
 
Morning everyone

Decided to clean out the rubbish from the garage today, you know the stuff the wife want's to keep forever but you know it'll sit there for ever, there's so much junk i took out and now i'm taking back in again,,, some of it may meet with an "accident", whoop's "Sorry i just broke the bread bin" Yeah right. he he he [wicked grin/]
 
Morning everyone

Decided to clean out the rubbish from the garage today, you know the stuff the wife want's to keep forever but you know it'll sit there for ever, there's so much junk i took out and now i'm taking back in again,,, some of it may meet with an "accident", whoop's "Sorry i just broke the bread bin" Yeah right. he he he [wicked grin/]

Tried that with my wife once, Steve. All it took was one "accident" for her to finish bringing the rest back in. Said she didn't want me to hurt myself! She can look at an unlabeled box and say, "Be careful with that! That's the glass fondue pot Aunt Elvie gave us on our first anniversary! I don't want it damaged!"

Jeff;

We've had luck like that with Whirlpool appliances. We still have the dryer from them we first bought 30yrs ago. Had the matching washer until two years ago. The fridge we had from them died 3 yrs ago and we bought another one of theirs. My parents always bought Hotpoint appliances for the same reason.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All ! And Happy Mother's Day to the Mothers' here and Departed. Now lets see about Sears. Did you buy the extended Warranty that they want to sell you at another 10 percent ? Can you imgaine the first thing they want to sell you is an extended warranty for the item . That tells me a lot about their product right off the bat . But lets face it they are not the only ones who do it . Anything to make a buck. Wait till there is no more Sears in the world and Wally world controls evrything. Well gotta go fix the wife brunch so take care all !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All ! And Happy Mother's Day to the Mothers' here and Departed.

Amen to that Paul! I've been sitting at my kitchen table this morning shedding a couple of tears for my Mother-in-Law. Her graveside service is tomorrow morning. Several family members, including my son in Chicago who couldn't attend the funeral service, are coming into town for it. My tears are for myself as I know that for her "The strife is o're, The Battle won!"

Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Mornin' Steve!

Every time I am asked to buy an extended warranty (especially for a small inexpensive item) I tell the clerk that if it doesn't last until the warranty would be up, I just won't buy another one from them! The "throw-away" mentality we have today is a direct result of Corporate greed, aka the Mall-Wart business model.
 
Three days ago I got a letter in the snail mail from a company wanting to offer me a warranty on my car. There's no way in * that they're going to OK a warranty on a vehicle with 270,000 miles on it. Besides which, many of the questions they ask have nothing to do with your vehicle. They're data mining. This is information they can sell.
 
Jeff,

I stumbled onto something similar on one of those "free software" sites. I wanted a get some type of GIF-to-video conversion tool, their demo did everything except let me save the file. But I could get the software registered if I'd only "answer a few questions" - one page wouldn't have been so bad, but I must have gone thru 20 of those that kept on saying "you're almost finished, almost finished,..." until I finally got disgusted and cancelled-out. Luckily the email address I gave them is my self-designated spam repository which I never look at...!:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, I got something like that telling me my warranty on the truck was about to expire...my new truck was only 3 months old. What is sad is my Mother at age 91 got one and she thought it was serious and didn't know what to do about it. Her car is 12 years old. So many are unwitting of the true nature of these and will go for it. I think someone said this is another one that originates out of Nigeria. That place must hide/support every con artist scheme in the world.:eek: :D .

Well, time to pick up my Mom and get our order from the Outback. We will bring it home where it is easier and more relaxing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For the OLD GUYS!

A guy is 86 years old and loves to fish.
He was sitting in his boat the other day when he heard a voice say, "Pick me up."

He looked around and couldn't see any one. He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again,
> "Pick me up." He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog.

The man said, "Are you talking to me?"

The frog said, "Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up.
Then, kiss me and I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen.
I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous because you will have me as your bride."

The man looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully, and placed it in his front breast pocket.

Then the frog said, "What, are you nuts? Didn't you hear what I said? I said kiss me and I will be your beautiful bride."

He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said,
"Nah, at my age I'd rather have a talking frog."
 


Rex That's funny sir, there are times i'd sooner have a talking frog, off to bed now, i have been taking the layout down and starting a re build

later
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top