Coffee Shop Part V

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
at my age I'd rather have a talking frog."
laugh.gif
 
Well my wife's plan has worked to well. The flowers are in the ground with over 2 yards of mulch spread around them. The garden is retilled and will be planted as soon as I finish the bisquets and dried beef gravey. No wonder I am tired.
 
WOW! We had a high of 94 degrees today. Hope you had a cooler day, Larry.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


We had a good Mother's Day.

IT is a tradition that on both Mother's Day and Father's Day we spend day in the garden. Typically, this means that we work together on some project that needs doing.

Yesterday, we split up. The kids raked the Front Yard and the Lower 40. The way my property is divided I have 5 lawns--all hillside--takes 5 hours to mow with a self-propelled. I had a riding mower but it kept popping wheelies on the uphills. So I named all my lawns.

My wife went around the property and collected wild Pansies and potted them, for transplant in the front garden.

My daughter mowed the Top Deck (she actually started the mower herself) while my son spent day rest of the day working hard to avoid doing anything that resembled work. He carried around two hoes, "The Claw doesn't like work."

I meanwhile spent most of the day getting the vegetable garden ready for planting. I finished turning the compost in with a pitchfork, and when I was chopping up dirt clods with a hoe, borrowed from the Claw, my daughter joined me, She stayed with me as I dug the rows and then re-chopped the clod.

I got about half the garden planted, and ran out of seed.

We have a huge junk pile that has been too intimidating to deal with. A lot of is wood and I have a trailer full of cardboard that was going to be recycled, until the trailer ceased to roll. I also have the roses I cut down a couple weeks ago. Anyway, I have been burning every Sunday evening after working in the yard and yesterday was no different. Only yesterday it got scary.

I have a lot of trees, and my fire ring and burn barrel are in a clearing in the center. Anyway, I was putting a large section of dried roses on the fire when my pitchfork head came off. I got the head of the fork back, but the brush wasn't right when it caught and flames went way too high for comfort. They were licking the lower limbs of a 40' pine tree. I threw a piece of plywood on the flames and that slowed them down a might. But I can tell you my heart was pumping.

I spent about 6 hours burning and relaxing. At about 6:30, the family, including my 90 year-old mother-in-law who lives with us, came to the fire ring for a weenie and marshmallow roast. I stayed for a couple more hours feeding the burn barrel with cardboard and having a smoke on a pipe.

It was a good day. (I can barely walk my legs are so sore, but it was good yesterday.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Much cooler Temps Rex in the low 70's so it was great weather for yard work. I still got a little sun burn on the tops of the legs and arms. Here's a couple of pix to show our handiwork.
 
Good Morning everyone!
Very nice work Larry. My neighbor has something similiar to yours by her front porch. It always looks so neat and clean. I should be out trimming up the Azalea bushes since most have finished blooming. The drought is so bad I'm afraid they may not be strong enough, so I will have to wait awhile.

Chip, you had a very big family day. It's nice to know that there are still families that slow down long enough to enjoy a day together.

:)Wishing all a very good week at work and play.:)
 
Good Morning Billl, Ray ,Chip, Larry & Rex, Another nice day here. Not as bad as down South but we have Lake Erie to keep us cooler. Chip sounds like you had a real nice Mother's Day . Glad to hear that your Mother-In Law can still get around at 90. My Mother-In-law is 87 and bed ridden for a few years now. Sad to see a person who was so full of life slowly passing away . Only her strong heart keeps her going. But she still has a sound mind. Well gonna get some of that garden work done myself. Take care all !!!!
 
Good Morning Billl, Ray ,Chip, Larry & Rex, Another nice day here. Not as bad as down South but we have Lake Erie to keep us cooler. Chip sounds like you had a real nice Mother's Day . Glad to hear that your Mother-In Law can still get around at 90. My Mother-In-law is 87 and bed ridden for a few years now. Sad to see a person who was so full of life slowly passing away . Only her strong heart keeps her going. But she still has a sound mind. Well gonna get some of that garden work done myself. Take care all !!!!

Isn't it wonderful to know folks in their 80's and 90's who still have active minds! I often wonder what I will be like if I make it that far....... I just arrived home from the graveside service for my Mother-in-Law who passed away a few weeks ago (the ground has finally dried up enough that they could dig the hole). I often marvel at what a wonderful, kind, and loving person she still was even battling cancer and after a major stroke. Had a good long talk with my Father-in-Law (93). He wants to see my railroad layout! Guess I better start printing some photos for him as he can't do stairs anymore.
 


Afternoon Ray

We have some very tallented gardeners in here today, and the pictures Larry look great, wish mine was as nice.
Chip that reminds me of a BBQ at a friends in the mid 1990's, we got a bit carried away lighting the thing under a silver birch tree and the whole lot caught fire, very funny at the time i remember but the neigbhours were not impressed.

anyway back to my Hobgoblin, bottled dark ale that is.

almost forgot, i got my new airbrush and compressor today, can't wait to try it. i also got a class 57 body shell for a project.
 
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

I wouldn't be surprised if my bacon is a bit extra crispy today. My trailer took a direct lightning strike:eek: last night from the storms that were passing through. No harm done. The charge passed through the metal skin of the trailer (1.5 mm thick aircraft aluminum and 28 gauge steel) to ground. The trailer has steel skirting which is bolted to the trailer and buried in the ground, secured with copper rods every 5 feet.


Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/15/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23


Wind Chill: 70°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 69°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 11mph SE

Today High: 85 Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe with heavy rainfall...large hail and damaging winds in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80s. Light and variable winds becoming south around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.


Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.


bacon.jpg
 
Good Morning Bill & Jeffrey ! All's Well On The Niagara Frontier !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Bill, Jeffery, Paul. All's well in the Southland!

Ray, you got the Y6 boiler fired up yet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Morning' Paul!

Mornin' Rex! Nah. Too busy with family (son from Chicago has been in town, had to pick up my Sister at the Airport at midnight last night), Martin Luther King Committee business (Scholarship Dinner tonight), lawn, Live Sound for the Music Dept. at the high school, and other stuff. Besides, I will need to get a decoder for her and do some detail work (Decals etc.) before she sees service. I hope to have her at least hooked together and checked out on address 00 by next week.
 
evening Rex,

Jeffery that was a close shave last night

got another loco today and another one due soon, as well as more ballast cars
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top