ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Evening gents,
Mighty quiet here in the Shop tonite - could that mean I don't have a life?

All this talk about lightning has got me paranoid, I've been looking at the weather channel for any mention of t-storms near the mid-Atlantic region.
But I did at least manage to get
something worthwhile done: Cleared all the accumulated clutter off my layout surfaces. Now I don't have to feel so overwhelmed when I walk into the trainroom. Next item on my ToDo list is to scrupulously clean all my track. Maybe I'll even have a functioning layout again within the coming week...?
When I was a teen, I took a job with an entomologist in Florida. In between, collecting grass pollen and mosquito larvae for allergy medications, I helped lay a corrugated on one of the shops. Everyday the storms, curtains of water really, would come through at 10:05 and 3:05--you could set your watch. One day there was thunder and lightning.
We were in one of the old shops looking at the rain, when we saw lightning hit the ground within 50-75 feet of us. The thunder was simultaneous.
AND LOUD!
And the hair on my arms was standing up.
Chip It is amazing how loud it is at close range, were i worked till 2000 we had a 30ft metal gate made from 4" x 4" box section steel, when open it swung up and pointed skyward, that took a direct hit and it was LOUD
Good morning ! from Indiana.
05-06-07
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.
We've got the May Fest going on in Leesville at present, so the main street (Third Street) of the business district is filled with arts and crafts booths, snack stands, live bands (mostly country), a street carnival, car shows, etc. This stretches out for over half a mile. The May Fest started in Leesville 31 years ago as a half day celebration of spring and through the years has gotten bigger and more popular. It now goes for three days and nights and is the hottest ticket in town that has seen such notables as Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George Bush (both of them) stop in and join in for the festivities. There have also been several famous book authors, movie actors, etc. For the last two nights there has been dancing in the streets, which in a city of approx 10,000 turns into a real event!
Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/6/2007
Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23
Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 72°F
So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 74°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 18mph SSE
Today High: 88 Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Low: 68 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.
The breakfast bar is open.
Steve,
Where I grew up in Ventura, California, Thunderstorms aren't as common as other places. They not particularly wet either so when they come, it is a spectator sport. People sit on their porches and watch the show.
One day a old gentleman was sitting on his porch smoking a pipe and watching the show and lightning hit his pipe. IT exploded the pipe and stunned him. He was okay, but he became the subject newspaper interviews.
One reporter asked him if he was afraid to sit on his porch now.
He said, "No, but I gave up my pipe."
I guess he figured it was divine intervention.
Chip WOW, bet he WAS stunned,,, the allmighty one striking the pipe from his grip, i to would have given up.
got outbid on the class 47 today, only a couple of seconds to the end, oh well, i'll keep on dreaming
I went down to third street early this morning to get some pics of the May Fest vendors area before the festivities start for the final day. These pics represent only a small area. In the condition I'm in there's no way I could walk from one end of the area to the other. That's almost half a mile, one way. Enjoy the pics.
Yesterday, May 5th, the MC called on and recognized the area fire departments and issued them certificates of appreciation for their heroic efforts. In 1987 the downtown districts of Leesville and Rosepine were almost destroyed by fire. It was through the selfless efforts of these people that the two cities were saved.
Jeffery Look's like your in for a good day, think i'll grab a jam buttie, Mmmmmm
Hi everyone! A very hot 91 degrees here in T-town.
Jeffrey, that sure looks like a fun day. I always like small town festivals with all their arts & crafts, the people, and most of all... the food.
We just got back from another camping trip. This time we went to some of the wife's family land that is all wooded hills. Nothing to do, but enjoy the sounds and smells of nature. It was so relaxing and so very fun. Fortunately, we didn't see any sneaky snakes, but we did have a fox come up and bark at us. Guess he didn't want any company.

Good evening all ! jeffrey looks like your city knows how to put on a party. Rex peace and quiet isn't that what were all looking for ? you lucky fellow. All I heard all day was the next door neighbors partying all day with the Buffalo Sabers defeating the New York Rangers . And let me tell yu it wasn't pretty. Oh well peaceful now they all crashed . Have a nice night all !
Good morning ! from Indiana.
05-07-07
Morning all
just spoke to the news editor of our local newspaper, he's running a story about the fire on the moorland, he likes the pictures so he's decided to run the story.
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.
Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/7/2007
Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23
Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 72°F
So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE
Now through 07:00 AM CDT May 07, 2007
High: 88
Through 7 AM...patchy and dense ground fog will cause visibilities to vary from greater than 1 mile down to a few feet. Motorists are urged to exercise caution and watch for rapid changes in visibilities. Rear end collisions are a common Hazard with this type of changing patchy dense fog. The fog should lift by around 7 AM.
Today High: 88 Partly sunny. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.
Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable. Chance of rain 20 percent.
I'll have the scrambled eggs today.
Mornin' Bill!
Mornin' Steve! Cool about the story and photos.
Mornin' Jeffrey!
Good Morning All ! Another fine day here on the Niagara Frontier ! Steve glad to hear about the pictures. Has anyone followed the devastation in Kansas ? It was hit with a Type 5 tornado with over 200 mile an hour winds. 8 people dead and looking for more. Well now the governor states that they might not be able to rebuilt in timely fashion because the equipment need is over in Iraq. What is wrong with this picture ? Have a nice day all !!
Caution MRR can be hazardous in dark crowded spaces
Hi yall,
Jeff - looks like your town had quite a party yesterday, hope you were able to enjoy some of it at least.
Steve - congrats on getting your pix published, if the newspaper is online send us a link to the article!
Rex sounds like you had a very refreshing camping trip, was it near any RR rights-of-way?
Prayers for the victims of the F5 in Kansas.
My left arm and shoulder are hurting today, I was working in a confined area yesterday to install a mute decoder into a P2K SW9 switcher. My kids were watching a movie on DVD so all the familyroom lights were turn off except for a lamp on my work area. As I went to test the decoder, I tripped over something and crashed onto one side of the test track sub-surface (extruded foam board); good thing that's what it was because I think it absorbed alot of the impact, 3 pieces broke off. The SW9 chassis also flew out of my right hand, but the floor was carpeted so the only 'damage' was a dislocated rear truck which I was able to reposition after 30 minutes of fiddling.
I'm
soooo glad none of the locos I'd been testing earlier were on the test track! Hot glue was all I needed to reattach the broken-off foam pieces, then I was able to test the SW9 chassis and it works OK. Hope I learned something from this incident...

Evening all,
Sorry to hear about the tornado in Kansas, when mother nature unleashes an F5 not much will remain standing, prayers to the affected folk's
Ken Ain't that a bad feeling, you know something's going to get broke but there's nothing you can do when you go down, hope the shoulder get's better soon.
Ken Ain't that a bad feeling, you know something's going to get broke but there's nothing you can do when you go down, hope the shoulder get's better soon.
Yeah
Steve, I can take Advil for the shoulder - no biggie; what upset me the most yesterday was thinking that the loco I'd spent 3 hours on installing the decoder, was permanently ruined (luckily in the end, it
wasn't).
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)