ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Hey Larry looks like you could build another deck out of the pile of rust . Any way good luck with the deck. Steve do you live anywhere near the earthquake? If you do hope you didn't have to much damage.
evening all,
Paul i live half way up england, about 250 miles from the epicenter, i got an e-mail notification from USGS within min's of the event, the prelimary magnitude was 5 but was later ammended to 4.9. Around 60 houses had chimneys fall down with more houses suffering big cracks etc,
but no injurys thankfully.
off to bed,
TTFN
Evening Gang: Not much to report on the MRR front. We've been putting together a pen for some of Mary Ann's cats. We used a large kennel and made it cat proof with a roof.
I did get over to my friends railraod track to help get ready for our live steam meet in June. We need to do some landscaping to correct a mess the a hired cat driver did. If you want something done right do it yourself. Anyway I don't know if the my friend who owns the track is going to rent a track loader or if we're going to try and do the work with our colliction of tractors. Sinde I'm retired if he gets a track loader I can run it during the week and get the job done iin a couple of days.
Well I've got to get up early tomorrow. A friend of mine who has cancer has a table at a gun show in Dallas so he can unload some of his stuff.
Good Night All
Good morning ! from Indiana.
04-29-07
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.
Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/29/2007
Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23
Wind Chill: 59°F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 56°F
So Far Today
High: 62°F
Low: 59°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE
Today High: 88 Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 80s. Light and variable winds.
Tonight Low: 60 Mostly cloudy. Lows around 60. Light and variable winds.
I'll have the biscuits and gravy this morning.
It's a beautiful day out today and that means that I go out and fight The War of the Roses.
I live on the edge of the wild and every year, those insidious roses attack and try to cut me to shreds when I mow the lawn. Every ear, I get more of them. Each year, I try to take out a major contender. This year, once take out the rank and file, I plan to take out a rose bush with a trunk mass a foot in diameter. It is in the center of a tight loop in my driveway and it has tangled up all the ornamentals in this crucial spot.
I figure the only way to get it out is to saw the base and run a chain to my Explorer and yank it out. Then, pray for the ornamentals to grow back.
The original owner of this house was a landscape wiz and had stuff like walks, waterfalls and gas torches, etc. The last owner, or someone before him, let the yard go and I try to reclaim a little every year.
Mornin' Bill!
Morning' Jeffrey!
Mornin' Mouse! Good luck with the briar patch. Sounds like fun. You have ancient ruins to explore right on your own property.........
If I don't get my lawn mowed today, it will have to wait a week to get done. So I guess I best get to work.
Chip!
"Brer' Fox, Please don't throw me ina' briar patch!" Brer Rabbit hollered!
I wish I had that problem with roses where I live now. Down in Mobile I had a rose garden that I had over 150 varieties of roses. Can't get any to grow here. Soil is too bad for roses, gardinas, etc. everything but WEEDS!
Good luck with the yard!
Happy Sunday All 1 Chip I know what you mean . When I bought my home the previous owner loved thos climbing rose bushes . I fought those babies for a few years and finally won the war of the roses.TxPaul sorry to hear about your friend and then getiing rid of a collection is a sad thing Knowing that what you took a life time to collect wll be broken up with you life . Wish him all the luck and God's blessing to fight his cancer. Hope all have a wonderful day. Steve glad to hear that you made it through the earthquake ok.
afternoon Jeffery, Ray, Carey, Paul, back to work tommorow for a rest, yard work is fun, Chip sounds like your going to have fun with the roses, those things hurt when they get you, i had a wild one up the wall here when i moved in, what a job.
Well guys,
I got a stack of roses 8-10 ft high and just as far across--and those are all compressed, not loose. Got a good sized bonfire again this week, but none of it was layout this week. Got some of the roses burned, but it was only the dead ones. Need to wait a month of so on today's batch.
I taught my daughter to mow and told her she was responsible for the flat spot above my house. It will cut my weekly mowing time down to 3 1/2 hours of hillside. I keep dreaming of one of those low center of gravity mowers with the zero radius turns. I had a small tractor, but it kept popping wheelies going up the hill. I also freaked when going sideways. I'm hoping the zero radius turn will get me out of walking. My left anterior cruciate was blown when I was 30 playing soccer, and it swells up every week.
The cuts are limited to my hands though. Looks like only one will get infected. So I'm declaring this weeks battle a victory.
Evening Gang:
Steve B: Are you any where near Leighton Buzzard? I'm a member of the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway Society.
The gun show went all right. I didn't buy anything. Very unusual. My friend is looking better but has put on weight. The cancer is being beaton back for now.
Not much else to report so I'll head for bed. I used the alarm clock for the second time this morning since I retired. Six AM came earlyer then I remember.
Good Night All
Evening gang,
This weekend was entirely consumed with another sound-decoder install, plus a few honey-dues thrown in to slow me down. But I did finally get the thing installed. It's a soundtraxx 'LC' decoder that sat on my shelf for over 2 years, it's quiet as a mouse but if I set the exhaust volume full blast it sounds OK. I put it in an Atlas GP-38, it's the closest thing yet that I've ever heard that replicates the sound of a normal-aspirated EMD prime mover.
Chip -
easy does it on mowing that steep hill, not worth losing a hand or foot [or worse]... zero-turns are great, I got one 2 years ago after my old lawn tractor died and it reduced a 6-hour job to just over 2 hours. Prices are coming down too, as now every mfgr and his brother is producing them.
Texas Paul, good to see you here fer a change - retirement's keeping you busy huh

! Sorry to hear about your friend with the cancer.
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.
Gotta go mow my parents yard today. That's only 5 1/2 acres. How long can that take? Most of the morning? Oh well, things could be worse.
Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/30/2007
Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23
Wind Chill: 61°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 57°F
So Far Today
High: 67°F
Low: 61°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE
Today High: 85 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Light and variable winds becoming south around 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight Low: 62 Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.
I'll have scrambled eggs this morning.
Evening gang,
This weekend was entirely consumed with another sound-decoder install, plus a few honey-dues thrown in to slow me down. But I did finally get the thing installed. It's a soundtraxx 'LC' decoder that sat on my shelf for over 2 years, it's quiet as a mouse but if I set the exhaust volume full blast it sounds OK. I put it in an Atlas GP-38, it's the closest thing yet that I've ever heard that replicates the sound of a normal-aspirated EMD prime mover.
The hardest part of that install is getting the *$&%% shell off. Even the second 3rd and 4th times are hard. I agree about the sound--quiet, but a good quality. At the club, a BLI on the other side of the room drowns it out.
Funny how a simple install can be so different. I cut down the capacitor leads and mounted one leg on the board.
I also mounted an N-scale decoder just to the front of the speaker to handle motor functions. I had a lot of trouble with power pick-up. When you get used to seeing the engine stall on dirty sections of track, it really strikes you as quite weird to see your engine run smoothly, yet restart it's engines while in motion. I don't go to that club any more so it is no longer an issue.
Chip - easy does it on mowing that steep hill, not worth losing a hand or foot [or worse]... zero-turns are great, I got one 2 years ago after my old lawn tractor died and it reduced a 6-hour job to just over 2 hours. Prices are coming down too, as now every mfgr and his brother is producing them.
I saw a new one with a 50" deck at Lowes for $2899. IT seems to sit higher than the Husky I looked at last year. But that 50" deck should give a lot of stability.
Morning gents,
Leg's still swollen so I won't make the gym today.
I decided to take a bunch of my old articles and combine (read heavily edit) them into an e-book. So that's what I'll be doing between clients.
Weather is great here. Sure beats the cold rain we've been having.
Good morning ! from Indiana.
04-30-07
Morning everyone, the start of another work week has began. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Good morning Bill/Chip/Jeff/Nick, 'afternoon Steve!
Not much happening here this Monday morning, the electricity's out in my regular office so I had to setup my laptop across the street in the basement - kind of a pain since all my papers/manuals aren't here. Oh well whatcha gonna do...
Chip, I remember when you chronicled the Decoder Wars with your B&P GP38. I'll have to transplant my detailed post [about the install project] on the Atlas forum over to here, I definitely had issues taking off the shell like you described!
Mornin'... ah Bill, ken L, Mouse, and jeffrey]!
Got to get off the internet and finish a recording I have to have in the customers hands by 2 this afternoon.
See ya later!
- Status
-
Not open for further replies.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)