Coffee Shop Part III

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Mornin' Bill!

Holy Mackerel! The place is full! Good to see all of you here this morning. Jeffery, breakfast is on me. Good to see you on the easy going side of the street.

I've got to clean house today. Maybe I should say, I have to shovel out the house today.......... My Son and his wife are coming over for supper tonight. Standing Rib roast (already thawing), mashed taters, baked winter squash, and some fine local Finger Lakes wine to top it off. They're bringing the dessert. Tomorrow I get to be Head Usher at church for the last time this year, then go over to my son's house for a New Years eve bash. ........ Just got a call from my Daughter-in-law. My son has come down with that bug that has been going around. Goin' both ways so they won't be over for dinner. Hope she doesn't get it as she is about 4 1/2 months pregnant.

Looks like a good day to play trains........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeff, we got a great menu over here, what do you fancy,,,
Yep, we got a full house today, better break out the spare chairs

well it's rain and more rain,,, just the same everywhere i recon, i got 10 yards of code 70 rail and some turnouts today, better hide them away before the CFO find's them
 
Well Jeff glad to see you have finally joined here also. Welcome to the other coffee shop the one across the track from the one you usually goto when not at yours
 


37° and snowing here in the Finger Lakes....... So far we have had all of 1.1 inches of snow this fall and winter. Last year just under 10".
 
Well, being that it's coming up on lunchtime, I'll have the roast duck.

roastduck.png


And a Pepsi.

pepsi.jpg
 
Jeff;

Glad to see you finally made it here. I had gotten emmensely bored with the "other" forums many moons ago and spend 99% of my time here now. Over time you'll wonder why you didn't come sooner!:D

Good Luck wit' the bad weather down there. What you're having this am, we're supposed to get later today, tonight and tomorrow. Not predicting any severe at this point, but you can't ever be sure in winter. Doesn't take much to set off the severe storms this time of year as it does in the spring or fall.

Speaking of the "other" forums, someone over there stated he had to live in an area that had 4 seasons. I said we do have 4 seasons here, Early Summer, Mid Summer, Late Summer, and Next Summer!;):rolleyes:

Our menu for New Years Day, is gonna be built around the typical Southern "New Years Good Luck Meal".:p Baked Ham & Black Eyed Peas.:) Gonna add some cornbread, green salad, pineapple hot stuff, etc, etc.

later
 
Hi All, And hello To Jeffrey, Glad to hear you don't let you shortcummings keep you down. I also have diabetes but it hasen't effeted as much as your .Just minor complications so far. Hey Ray we had a little bit of I don't know what you call it wet snow slush ice, mixed together but nothing on the ground just a bit in the windshiled of the car. Steve sorry the rain is keeping you in but it sounds like you have enough stock to keep you busy on the railroad.The bug must be going around my Daughter was hit with it yesterday, throwing up and sitting on the toilet all day. I got my fingers crossed that it don't hit anyone else. well hope that evryone else is doing ok and preparing for a nice New Years Eve get together !!!!
 
Jeff;

Speaking of the "other" forums, someone over there stated he had to live in an area that had 4 seasons. I said we do have 4 seasons here, Early Summer, Mid Summer, Late Summer, and Next Summer!;):rolleyes:

later


Well, we've got the real 4 seasons up here in the Finger Lakes. Ours are:

1. Almost Winter
2. Winter
3. Still Winter
4. Road Construction

Up here we like winter the best 'cause all the potholes are filled with snow so it's easier to drive. Jeff Foxworthy said this about Upstate NY, "If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Upstate New York." Unfortunately this year we may lead the nation in drownings.......:rolleyes:
 


To continue the weather theme, just call me Noah, now where's that hammer and those Ark plans:eek:
We normally have a hot summer and nice weather for new years eve, but yuck I think we'll stay here and drink some home brew bourbon.

I think we might have to put an extension on the coffee shop, I had to go back a page to read all the latest gossip!!

Well gotta go make some toast and marmite catch ya'll later.

Ken.
 
Glad to see all my good friends here today!
Jeff: Very glad to see you here and a big welcome to 'ya from T-town! I was scrolling down the page while at the same time thinking about something good for lunch. Then...whammo...ROAST DUCK! My gosh that looks so delicious. That is enough to make me forget about a slow recovery from my tummy virus. :D I congratulate you for your courage and setting a good example for us all.

PaulG: Trust me, your daughter is in total misery. From our experience with that mess, it takes about 3 days to get rid of the symptoms and several more for your body to get back to normal (we are still not quite there). I would have rather have taken my chances at Taco Bell:eek: .

KenL: If you are in any way like me in working the bottom side of a layout, it takes a lot of fight to get started. Oh, and if you wear bi-focal or progressive lens in your glasses it is truly a neck-breaker. I finally got me a pair of drug store glasses that are good for looking up. I have thought about buying a mechanics creeper or some kind of rolling stool to go under there. Have you (or anyone) had any ideas about this? I would be interested to know.

Ray:
Up here we like winter the best 'cause all the potholes are filled with snow so it's easier to drive.
That's funny! You mentioning the ice fishing flashed a childhood memory of trying to ride a bicycle over a frozen pond in Kentucky. I went wide open down the hill and hit the ice with full confidence:cool: . WRONG! My friends said all they could see was arms and legs going one way and the bike another:D .

Steve: My thoughts are with you and your in-laws. It is very tough to watch our seniors struggle.
 
Evening all,
Morning Ken,

Anyone fancy some Chocolate, i'm trying my best to eat it all but there's way to much.
Just laid another 12ft of code 75 flex track and some turnouts and a diamond, it's getting exciting now, just an 16ft incline and two lines to cross and were in a position to circum navigate the garage for the first time in over a year. One big mistake i made today was sticking my fingers into the new bag of track pin's,,, LOL they are SHARP little devil's, i pulled out my finger to find about six stuck in the flesh, lesson here, use a small magnet to get some out.

The hospital want to send grandad home to Nan's house but he can't even walk, never mind climb stairs, she said a big NO WAY, so a care home is being saught out for him, he need's 24hr supervision poor old guy, and to think he was so healthy and proud two years ago it's awfull

One very good thing i just noticed is we have five steam hauled trips passing here between January and the end of March
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Steve you better hurry up and get the rest of the track laid before the steam train trips start!

Evening everybody! Havent gotten on here to post today, got up and drove the 30 minutes to my somewhat crummy LHS and picked up the last of the plaster cloth to finish my 'layout'
My NCE PowerCab came in today, and im happy to say that it was New In Box, and that it works great. Now all I need is the NCE decoders to show up..

I guess I'll go back to layin this cloth. New years party tmw so I'll say it now, Happy New years to ya'll!

CSX - of course I got a spare Mtn Dew! its cheaper to have the pepsi truck deliver at home than going to the store..ahaha
 
Hi Indeed , I mentioned it before ,Global Warming Ken's crumby summer down under all the bad weather were having , Our lake is 7 degrees above normal .No snow in Buffalo, Polar Bears and endangered species because the polar caps are melting . But I wish everyone a Happy New year also !!!!!
 
KenL: If you are in any way like me in working the bottom side of a layout, it takes a lot of fight to get started ... I have thought about buying a mechanics creeper or some kind of rolling stool to go under there. Have you (or anyone) had any ideas about this?...
Rex I don't have a mechanic's creeper, but I discovered some leftover foam rubber packing slabs (~6" thick, 3'x3' square) that I used to haul my larger structures to Steel Modelers' retreats. I just positioned three of them on the floor where I would've been crouching, and laid on my back...mmmm, comfy! Made the job soooo much easier.

What I've been doing these last few days is installing the cabling necessary to allow full walk-around control. You may be wondering "Why is that such a big deal?" well it's because up until last July I was mostly focusing on making my layout look 'purty', then figuring I'd be going to DCC anyway and I'd deal with control cabling at that point. Anyhow, life got in the way and my DCC budget disappeared with my daughter not getting an expected college scholarship - so I installed a "poor man's" substitute for DCC: a MRC CM-20, memory-equipped with a walkaround throttle. At least now I can control my trains from anywhere beside the layout, a major improvement over the old cab-style setup. Much as I'd love to have DCC decoders in all my engines, that'll have to wait until Vicky can return to work full-time (~2 years from now) to cover these college tuition bills.

I'll be on the road most of the day tomorrow, driving Sarah to visit with her New Jersey friends [near NYC]. Perhaps I'll be able to snap some pix of the CSX industrial yards along I-95? We'll see...

Everybody have a great NewYear if I don't get back on here before then! :D
 


Hey CJ No Hoppin' John, I just love that stuff !!! Not bad for a Northern boy !!
Yeah boy! Hoppin' John, that's our traditional New Years meal here. Me, my parents, the rest of the family and quite a bit of the neighborhood gather for that, then we all go up to my older sisters place, where she has prepared a feast that would put a holiday meal to shame and pig out.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top