Coffee shop part 2

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all, I think I'll have some coffee and doughnuts. Off from work today, so I'm going to work on the train room. I've still got a long way to go. But hey, it will be worth all the time and money when I'm finished with it. So for now, I'm playing with with my N scale trains here in the computer room. :D

Stan.
 
Morning Stan, I'm having a bash at the benchwork today, the tricky bit is getting the swinging gate installed in the new doorway, i am well on with it now and should be done later. a friend has just got an N scale loco from presicion scale models, not sure what model but it's got sound and he loves it, i'll take my BLI C30-7 and compare the sound quallity.

Have a great day
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Luc!

Howdy, howdy,howdy to everyone. It is as bright sunny day so far here in the Finger Lakes and in just a few minutes I am off to the Train Show at the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse for a day of drooling at train stuff....:D

Hopefully I will have some photos by this evening.

See ya later!
 


Hello Folks, lovely Sunday morning here 7:42 am. We had Guy Fawkes last nite went off with a bang!! I've been saving up my tree trimmings for a few weeks and had a great bon-fire (with a little accelerant)

Today I will have to clean up the mess. Later we've got our IT guy coming over to explain web site development for Pavlova Paradise, and maybe if I'm lucky I might get some benchwork done too.


Ken.
 
Steve B The PCM & BLI units should sound exactly the same, they're the same company!


Yes, but not the same sound units are in all the locos...

I've got a Pennsy K4 from BLI with Quantum Sound and a Reading T1 (surprise!) from PCM, with Loksound.

The sounds are quite different. The K4 has excellent sound quality, I'm very impressed.

The Reading T1... Well, first let me say it's a beatiful model, very accurate, and with lots of detail. I'm very impressed with it from that standpoint. I'm very happy with the one I own, and I'm seriously considering purchasing another.

As for the sound... Well, it's mediocre at best. I actually sent mine back since I was so unhappy with the sound. Unfortunately, they sent it back without making any changes and basically said "well, that's how these sound..." What I really didn't like was a background noise that sounds like some sort of diesel generator. It starts up as soon as the sound comes on.

I had a fun conversation with the tech. He and I were talking about the sound and he said "well I'm not that familiar with steam, so I'm not exactly certain what it should sound like... Maybe that noise is supposed to be there." He then asks if I was sure the real engine didn't make the sound I was complaining about. I replied "Yes, I know exactly what one of these engines should sound like, I worked on the AFT and I'm on the engine crew of the 2100." "Oh, well OK then..." :)

Fortunately I understand you can program the Loksound system. Maybe some day I'll do some recordings and dub in the right sounds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BobIs the sound you can here supposed to be the injectors filling the boiler ???, my BLI M1a sounded like that.

Ken M We have bonfire night tommorow (sunday) bye which time you will be in Monday, anyhow most people are doing it tonight (saturday) so they can have a beer and not worry about getting up early for tommorow
 
BobIs the sound you can here supposed to be the injectors filling the boiler ???, my BLI M1a sounded like that.

No, it's not the injector. It sounds like an idling diesel locomotive. I've got an M1a as well, and like the K4, the sounds on it are excellent.

If you're a model railroader subscriber, you can visit this link and see/hear a video of the T1 in action.

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=41

Note the low rumble, like an idling diesel, in the background. You can hear it best at the beginning of the clip, when they ring the bell and blow the whistle before the loco starts moving. You'll also notice the chuff itself leaves a lot to be desired, and at speed reminds me more of a Lionel than the real thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I had along day at Woodcraft today. This weekend is our annual Anniversary Sale. Everything in the store is 10% off except the Festool Stuff. Verry Very busy making me ever so tired. Well I am off tomorrow so maybe a little Modeling or to the shop and work on the Grand kids toy boxes or maye just be lazy and do nutin. Right now the last option sounds the best but tomorrow will be another story and we will just has to see what I decide or my better half decides. The honey do list is not long but I have not worked on that is a while.
 
Bob They won't let me watch the video clip, i buy the mag at the local news stand since my long term subscription ran out so i assume they have fallen out with me, i think i remember watching the clip in question a while back before they re vamped the web site.

talking about sound, check this out, P2K U28B locos with sound for $99 The YooPee version is $119
http://trainworld.com/lifelike/NEWPROTOCLOSEOUTS.htm

The GE U28B first hit the rails in 1966 and offered owners a versatile road locomotive that was equally at home on fast freights or heavy drags. These new Walthers HO scale PROTO 2000 models are accurate replicas of later-production units. Each features a five-pole, skew-wound motor with dual flywheels, heavy diecast chassis, PROTO 2000 knuckle couplers and applied detail parts including features like see-through radiator grilles with dynamic brake grids visible through the screens! Sound-equipped units feature a QSI sound system and factory-installed DCC decoder that can be operated on DC or DCC layouts.


Powered w/Sound & DCC Versions:
CB&Q #107 (Chinese Red, gray)
CB&Q #112 (Chinese Red, gray)
NYC #2822 (black w/oval nose herald)
NYC #2823 (black w/oval nose herald)
L&N #2500 (gray & yellow)
L&N #2502 (gray & yellow)
Rock Island #258 (maroon w/cream lettering & chevrons)
Rock Island #260 (maroon w/cream lettering & chevrons)
UP #506 (yellow & gray)
UP #507 (yellow
 
Good morning ! from Indiana.:D

TIPTONDEPOT.png


11-05-06

:eek:

donuts_2.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Luc!

I am off to be Head Usher at Church this AM, and then to a Bell Choir rehearsal this afternoon. Hopefully there will be some time left for Model Railroading this evening.
 
Good Morning All ! Little overcast but what the hey . The Buffalo Bills play again today so another day of screaming at the TV . Maybe a little MRailroading also. hope all have a nice Sunday !
 
Ken got the clip,,, your right Bob, it's a bit, well, i can't put my finger on it but it sounds not quite right

Just had a peek into the MR forum coffee shop, they have a very rude customer in there to deal with, I'm stopping on this side of the street, it's much more friendly.

Ken L, Fergie, Carey, and all the other member's who have not been in a while,,, i hope everythings OK with you folk's, Fergie, hope your dad and Lisa are on the mend, have a drink on my tab
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just downloaded ( upgraded???) to IE7 everything looks kind of different, the text looks sharper or something? Nice I think I like it

Ken.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top