Coffee Shop Part 10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


04-18-2008 Late this morning-the earthquake got me!

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Menu3.png
waitress3.png
 
EARTHQUAKE INFO
"5.4 (Preliminary magnitude — subject to revision)
Date-Time

* Friday, April 18, 2008 at 09:36:57 UTC
* Friday, April 18, 2008 at 04:36:57 AM at epicenter

Location 38.501°N, 87.898°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region ILLINOIS
Distances

* 10 km (6 miles) ESE (103°) from West Salem, IL
* 10 km (6 miles) NE (55°) from Bone Gap, IL
* 13 km (8 miles) N (4°) from Bellmont, IL
* 39 km (24 miles) WSW (239°) from Vincennes, IN
* 66 km (41 miles) NNW (333°) from Evansville, IN
* 204 km (127 miles) E (93°) from St. Louis, MO

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST=021, Nph=021, Dmin=263.2 km, Rmss=1.07 sec, Gp=119°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=1
Source

* West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS

Event ID at00851141"

:eek:
 
Good morning folks

It was 45 F on the way in this morning. We are heading to 82 F.

No modeling last night again. My daughter had a softball game and I had to go with the wife so she could shop for a new outfit. Since we went to her favorite clothing shop I got to go to Mitchell’s Hobbies which is next store. I walked around and priced a few things but I am not ready to get anything until I get some stuff off the work bench. The one thing I would have bought; the 20 or 10 pack of Kadee couplers they were out of.

This weekend is another crazy one. My son has a baseball game tomorrow and my daughter has one Sunday. On Saturday my wife and daughter are going to the Daughters of the American Revolution luncheon. My daughter wrote a story about the American Revolution and it was chosen as the Chapter winner and will go onto to compete at the state level. She gets to read her story and receive an award for it. At some point we have the grocery shopping drudgery.

Train-wise I am in wait see if I have time mode. I would like to enter the locos into the computer inventory. I was looking at the Farm House Area and thinking I could add some things to it.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Good morning all.

2" of rain yesterday and another inch or so coming today. Downspout blew off the house so I had some water in the basement last night. Fired up the wet/dry vac and propped up the hose to clean it all up as I got some small modeling done. The roof of the enginehouse is taking forever it seems.

Have a great day.
 
I never felt the quake as I was still sawing logs. When I went to breakfast I saw an old friend from High School. We ate together and he said that there is a glass shelf over his sofa. He was siting on the couch and the little china dolls on the shelf rattled. He yelled at his wife ashing her what the H&** she was doing as she was asking him what the H#** he was doing. Well I guess here in the heartland we have had our excitement for the week.
 
Mornin' Flo! I'll have a "shake" this morning....... I will have to e-mail my son in Chicago and see if he felt anything where he is. I have a sister in South Bend, Indiana as well. They should have been just about at the limit of what would be felt of the quake.

Just got back from the vets a few minutes ago and my old 21 year old kitty, sheila appears to be holding her own. In fact looks and acts much better than she did a year ago. I will have to wait for the results of the T4 blood wrk on her to be sure, but everything went well. She got her toe nails clipped and her vaccination as well. The vet said that 21 is now the average life span for indoor cats...... They have a number of cats they have adopted at the clinic and there is one small all black cat that often is found sitting on top of the computer monitor. I happened to mention that it looks like a new cat in my neighborhood. They asked me to describe the cat and it may be an indoor (declawed) cat they are missing. This is the second time he has run off so I will alert the neighbors to watch out for him and call the vet's office if they see him.

Have a good one and don't get too shook up.....
 
:eek: A sizable Earthquake in Indiana, wow, how about that! I have a cousin that lives in Mt. Vernon and a dozen or so all around Evansville, Winslow, Princeton, Poseyville, Vincennes. Guess they didn't have to use a blender at breakfast.
 


Afternoon, Everyone.

The earthquake was on the Wabash Fault, a northeastern extension of the New Madrid fault. The USGS gave it a final rating of 5.2 and it was felt over a large area, from St. Louis to Atlanta. There has been increasing activity in the New Madrid fault complex and, if it goes like it did in 1811/1812, it will make all our California earthquakes look like small time stuff. Memphis, in particular, is at great risk, since the soils are very poor and will amplify the ground movement. Combine that with hundreds of unreinforced masonry buildings and no earthquake building code until the past few years and you have all the makings of a major disaster. A repeat of 1811/1812 quakes would cause major damage in places like St. Louis, Nashville, Lexington, and Cincinnati. Most easterners don't give much thought to earthquakes but the New Madrid fault has already caused the largest earthquakes in recorded American history (including San Francisco) and it's not a matter of if, but when it break again. It won't be a fun experience. :(

Steve, my heart breaks for you that you only get to see two steam engines in operation tomorrow. I get to see...let me count them up....zero!. :)

Carl, sounds like a pretty good storm. I don't mean good in that you got water in the basement but good in that you got a pretty good rain and I didn't hear of major severe weather outbreaks.

Ray, our cat is just about 2 years old and a house cat. He also produces more fur per square inch than any fur factory in the world. I swear, I spend at least 10 minutes a day cleaning up cat fur from things like my keyboard and router...and he doesn't even get up there. I'm glad things look good for your cat but the thought of cleaning up after ours for 19 more years...well, maybe I'll be dead before then and someone else will be stuck with the chores. :)

Awful quiet in here today. I guess the first nice weather and spring break has a lot of folks off doing other things. Partly cloudy and 82 here right now. We are looking for some thunderstorms later tonight and early tomorrow morning that are a little worrisome but the front that's causing the squall line appears to be weakening as it moves east so I'm hoping we just get a light show and some more rain.
 
Yep, Jim, it is a bit quiet on the forum today. Must be spring has really arrived.

The ground is shaking right now on my street. No earthquake, but the two maple trees across the street from me are coming down. The guy who owns the tree service is going to leave most of the wood in one of my driveways for me (I hope)... Hopefully it will be enough to heat my house next winter.
 
The tree service guy just gave me about the equivalent of 3 face cords of wood to fill my driveway. Turns out that his wife was a music student of mine way back when. This includes both of the main trunks of the tree. He said they would have just gone to waste anyway as his wood processor can only handle 18" diameter wood. (A lot of what I am getting is considerably smaller than that BTW). Next time I need a tree taken down guess who I will call.....?

Two guys took down two good sized sugar maples in 45 min. flat! I expect that they will have the rest of the wood and branches loaded and everything cleaned up within 15 minutes more.
 
Nice one Ray, did they drain of any syrup first, seams a shame to go to waste

No, but I have thought about that for several years...... Actually I think one was actually a Sugar Maple and the other may have been Norway (Red) Maple. I was wrong about one thing, it took them 20 minutes to finish. They just drove off. Well now I know what I am doing next week......
 
Finished day one of of a two day fire dept leadership course tonight. I go back at 8:00 tomorrow morning to attend the second day. I learned so much tonight that my head feels like it's gonna explode.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top