Coffee shop one-three

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good early morning, everyone.

Mikey, you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too. I still have to get Birmingham to see the layout. You're right, this is a good time of the year to assume that the guy coming at you at night is drunk. :eek: I remember the days of office parties and we could sit outside some large offices and pop three or four DUI's at 5 in the afternoon. I think things are a little better than that now.

Rex, I got my raise too but my check doesn't come until the end of the month so you're buying. :) When I worked in San Fransisco, we had the Blue Angels every Ocotober as pert of Fleet Week. They would practice a couple of days in advance and would scream up Market Street, the main drag in the financial district. I worked on the 31st floor and I could look right in the cockpits as they went by. :eek: They are fantastic pilots. I'll sure do my best to get up there for the show. Check out this link: http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/. Some of the most amazing Blue Angel Photos I've ever seen, taken during Fleet Week.

CJ, you must have seen the Golden Hawks if it was 1964. They were amazing flyers also and pioneered a number of manuevers that are standard practice for most aerobatic teams today.

Chris, glad to hear your coworker is recovering. Whatever the cause, I'm glad he has the guts to get up and get moving. Maybe next time, he'll listen when being given advice.

Ken, I hope they really weren't poking holes in your elbow. That's the wrong place to get blood from the human body. Rex will be happy to pick up you linch tab as long as it doesn't inlcude anything other than $1 menu at McDonalds ($2 menu in California and NYC). :)

Phillip, glad to hear the ice storm never really developed. You were just far enough south to escape it. Chicago really did get walloped.

Jeffrey, an 8 ounce steak and 1/2 a rack of ribs? Man, you can pack it away. I'm only going to take you to places that serve salads. :D Those danged owls can do an amazing amount of damage and they just come out of nowhere. I was enroute to a missing person search way out in Sea Ranch, which is up Highway One and is nothing but 35 miles of curves and cliffs that go 600 feet straight down to the ocean. This was at just about 0100. A Great Horned Owl flew directly into my windshield. Never saw him coming and I was lucky to get the vehicle stopped before I went off the edge. I don't know exactly how much he weighed but I'd guees about 35 pounds since he ended up right in my lap. Took out most of the windshield and there was blood and guts everywhere. It took me a while to work out if it was my blood and guts or the owl's. Luckily for me, it was the owl. He somehow took out the ignition switch on his way in since I couldn't get the Explorer started again. I had to radio dispatch for a tow and that was good for about three days worth of laughs all around. On top of that, I had to fill out a Fish and Game form explaining why I killed the owl because he was on the endagered species list. :mad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
12-20-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress.png


;)
 
Good early morning, everyone.
Chris, glad to hear your coworker is recovering. Whatever the cause, I'm glad he has the guts to get up and get moving. Maybe next time, he'll listen when being given advice.


On top of that, I had to fill out a Fish and Game form explaining why I killed the owl because he was on the endagered species list. :mad:

Well, larry and I should get the roofs done next year:D

See you were guilty of murdering a owl, even though the owl commited suicide! don't worry The GWO's didn't believe me either that the 17" snook put himself on the stringer and i had nothing to do with it:D
 


I wondered where the 250lbs was when you were talking about crawling under the car working on your fuel pump. Looking at the new photo, NOW I think I see it...LOL
One of the hazards of being disabled and unable to do many common exercises due to leg and foot problems. When I can get out to a good eating place (rare these days) I tend to load up.

Those danged owls can do an amazing amount of damage and they just come out of nowhere. A Great Horned Owl flew directly into my windshield. Never saw him coming
The Great Horned Owl is the biggest owl I know of. To find one bigger I think you'd have to go to Canada as they tend to get bigger the farther north you go. They get smaller the farther south you go.
 
Good morning.

It's 66 and cloudy out here by the lake. The high will be around the mid 70's and it will be mostly cloudy.

Didn't do a whole lot done yesterday as the weather was rather uncooperative, making any tasks to be done outside nearly impossible. I did get some decal work done however and I had to change out one of the decoders in my GP38-2 set. Seems it has a bad memory and can't retain it's settings for more than a day before it reverts to it's factory settings. It's a Bachmann decoder. Go figure. I may be able to adapt it to some accessory use in the future. When I can afford to get a couple of DZ125's the Bachmann decoders will be yanked out of both locos and replaced by the DZ's. Not sure what I'll be doing today, just whatever turns up.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/20/2008

Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 66°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SW

Today High: 75 Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 45 Mostly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Colder. Lows in the mid 40s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming north 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010623.jpg
 
Good early morning, everyone.


CJ, you must have seen the Golden Hawks if it was 1964. They were amazing flyers also and pioneered a number of manuevers that are standard practice for most aerobatic teams today.

Could of been the Golden Hawks, Jim. You're probably right.

We all were just in awe of their show. The climax of the show was what they called the wagon wheel. The 6 "team" planes flew in all from different directions, with the different colored smoke and crossed each other in the center, with an elevation difference of about 50 ft. The solo then flew around the perimeter, with his smoke on, and the smoke formed a giant wagon wheel. Then they all flew up thru the center and flared out similar to the Thunderbirds climax.

I, at one time, had some pictures of this taken with an Instamatic camera, but over the years all of those pics have disappeared.:(
 
Afternoon All ! Been awhile have had some health setbacks so will be here as best I can. Finally digging out fro a foot of snow with more due tomorrow .It's nice to live next to a snow machine . Well hope all of you have a real nice day !
 


Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, yes, indeed, I did kill the owl even though he technically committed suicide. :) The Game Warden was very understanding but it was a Federal form...you know how that goes.

Paul, glad to see you again. I've wondered if you got buried in snow or what. Sorry to hear your health hasn't been good but I hope you're on the road to recovery.

Jeffrey, that was a honkin' big owl, that's for sure. If there are bigger ones, I sure don't want to run into one. :eek:

CJ, that wagon wheel formation was one the Golden Hawks originated. It's really amazing when you consider that the F-86 had a power to weight ratio of less than .5 to 1 and the F/A 18's the Blue Angels are using now have a 1.2:1 ratio.

Steve, we had those goofballs who did that off the cliffs next to the Pacific Ocean and up in Yosemite. After peeling one off a cliff face, I decided that was a sport to avoid.

Still cloudy and warm here. We broke the record high yesterday with at 79 degrees. This the sixth straight day we've had a high of 70 or above, which is also a record. It feels like April instead of Christmas. So far, all the storms are north of us although a good squall line is forming in Mississippi. It looks like we may maintain enough stable air this far south to escape anything severe but the cold air is coming for sure. Looks like we'll be lucky to get out of the 40's by Monday and it should go down into the mid-20's Monday night.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, yes, indeed, I did kill the owl even though he technically committed suicide. :) The Game Warden was very understanding but it was a Federal form...you know how that goes.


Yes, but your still a.............." B I R D K I L L E R!":D
I'm amazed your not haunted by Animal activest to this very day for not avoiding killing the owl!:D:D:DLOL's
 
That reminds me of some letters we got from PETA this last year.

My city had a pretty large stockyards, and around April they finally sold everything off. It is all gone now in fact except for one building I think. The place I work at is built on land that used to be stockyards also (been a long long time though).

PETA decided to send letters around how we should turn the whole place into a memorial for the thousands of animals that were "cruelly murdered" over the decades.

One of the Vice Presidents was VERY tempted in sending a letter back saying it would be a much better idea to have a BBQ every year for the city.
 
Dan, I don't suppose PETA offered to pay of the "memorial", did they? I'm always in awe of how some groups know how to spend our money for their benefit.

So far no animal activists have been after me, Chris. Once I realized the owl didn't kill me, I really felt bad for it. He was a magnificent animal and I would have much preferred that it live out its appointed years instead of coming through my windshield. I don't know why owls are so prone to this type of behavior but several of our units have had owl collisions over the years. I think I had the record for the biggest one though. :(

As far as that jet man video, the first thing I'm surprised at is how much he looked like a WWII Me163 rocket propelled fighter while in the air. The second thing that struck me is what sane human would jump out of a perfectly good airplane to fly around with a wing with four highly explosive rockets strapped to his back? I predict his life insurance rates are going up substantially. :)
 
Jim, I am ashamed of you. You should have changed your name like Barbara Hershey did when she hit and killed a seagull (Barbara Seagull).
I can see it now, "James Great Horny Owl". :D :D :D
 


Good morning.

It's 48°, cloudy and quite windy here by the lake this morning. We have winds between 15 - 25 mph bringing on a wind chill of 37°. I don't expect to see any rise in the temp as todays high should be around 48°. It will be partly cloudy.

Well there wasn't much to yesterday. I watched one of my neighbors working on a sea wall and I helped my father move some cedar logs. Those things were pretty big. First time I'd seen cedar 2 feet across. Later I went to Lowe's and got some tools I needed and picked up some Sharpie's as well. I got two metallic and one each of red, blue, green and black, all with fine and ultra-fine tips.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/21/2008


Wind Chill: 37°F
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 34°F

So Far Today
High: 61°F
Low: 44°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 26mph NNE

Important Message

Lake wind advisory in effect until 6 PM cst this afternoon.

Today High: 48 Partly cloudy. Breezy. Much cooler. Highs in the upper 40s. North winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.

Tonight Low: 28 Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010012-9.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top