Coffee shop one-three

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

got the redundancy letter today, as of February i'm out of work :( but i also won a bottle of Gin ten mins later in the christmas raffle :)
I've gotten letters like that before, and the job usually stayed with a guy who did it for less and was related to the boss!
 
Steve, I'm very sorry for your job loss. I know you will bounce back and most likely will have something better.
At least, you had an idea that it was coming. There is nothing worst than walking into the boss's office, totally unsuspecting, and then you notice the concrete face. Then, and after a very long minute, he says, "This is always the worst part of my job, but I have to inform you that ..." (Yeah, I've heard this before.)

Why do they always do this around the end-of-the-year holidays...an extra stab wound?
 
Hey everyone! Jim has fallen in love with Bama football and wants to treat a few of us to a great time in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl.

From Ad:
Section: SUITE 309 Row: SIDELINE
25 PERSON FULLY CATERED PRIVATE 35 YD LINE SUITE WITH PARKING PASSES
$35,000.00


Sign up here:
--------------
--------------
--------------
:p:D
 


Time to out do the house next door time of year

Check these out, there is a definitive competition going on in town
pics017-2.jpg

pics014-1.jpg

pics023.jpg
 
Well, had a weird day at work! The last two hours was nut's. I was helping the labor supervisor and another grounds keeper(Ex-carpenter) Re roof the dug outs. all went well to 1pm........Then Randy(aka The Carpenter) nose dived of the roof:eek: It was one of those, "let me help you........No I got it type of things!":rolleyes: He tried to man handle the tin sheet and ran out of roof! He hit the hardesy packed area on the field, next to the dugouts entrence. He fell 9', well It scared me and the Labor supervisor!:eek: He was out cold, we checked if he was breathing and had a pulse which Thank God he was still with us .....EMS got to the site 6 mins later. Fire station is a mile away:) good thing and the guys wern't on call:) Well they got him to but he had a broken wrist and swelling on the left side of his face:eek: We prayed for him. He came to some what just as they were geting him ready to BayFlight him out cause of the head trama! Thursday It's my turn on the roof:eek: Who ever said grounds keeper work was safe.LOL's


Steve, sorry to here of your troubles:( man I'll pray for a speedy return to work! Just an Far fetched Idea!:) Learn to speak Mexican, then You can get a plane tickets to Mexico for you and your family.......Cross the boarder in to California! and you get Free Medical, Drivers ID, and Work!:D Just an Idea;) No seriously Hope you find work......If not change your name to Juan Sanchez and come up with some good name for your family.....:D


Ever see National Lampoons Family Christmas Vacation! Want your boss brought to your house with a big red bow on!:D
or see, Fun with Dick and Jane!
 
Well I got my power steering fixed and a couple other small things, just in time for the weather to decide to dump MORE snow on us. At least the car works.

I will try to get a picture of the house at night, might borrow my bro in laws camera to do it. It really looks great out there.

Math final was great, I aced it no problem. Just got one tomorrow and I am golden.
 
Chris Yeah, great films, my fav is the national lampoon European vacation, thats funny.

I hope you don't turn in to dick on, "Fun with dick and jane." If i see missing pieces of my lawn...I'll check your yard for it!:D:D Once again man, I keep thinking of what happen to ya:( My hearts out to ya:o and your family! How the job market in your area?:confused:
 


Good morning folks

It was 34 F as I headed out onto the bizarre roads this morning. High will be 46 F with more rain likely. There were lots of traffic and plenty of closed roads due to the overnight rain, sleet, snow, and freezing rain. Ice cover tress and branches were down in various places and I had to drive around them. In a few places the roads were blocked by them and the wires they brought down. I did not encounter any icy roads but it was still another hour plus commute.

No modeling last night. We were doing stuff to prepare for our Cub Scout Holiday Party and Pack Meeting tonight.

Steve, sorry to hear about your job. I hope things work out soon.

Bob, the next time I try a P2K kit I will contact you. I have several boxcar kits sitting on the workbench. It will be a while, however, before I get down to that part of the pile.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all!

The folks from the next suite over in our office building moved out the other day. They were a cabinet company. Now they're doing demo over there and it sounds like a war zone in my office! Oh well, they'll be done in a few days I'm sure.

Chris, thats quite a story about your coworker! Hows he doing this morning?

Gotta run..........the work thing is happening!
 
Good morning.

It's 44, wet and very foggy here by the lake. The high will be in the mid 50's and it will be partly cloudy.

The SPSF and MGRy GP38-2's made their first run around the layout together yesterday pulling an 18 car train. There were no problems to report. With these two growlers running the rails there's no need to even THINK about adding sound. They supply all their own. The biggest difference between them (besides paint) is one has plastic handrails and the other has metal handrails.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/17/2008


Wind Chill: 42°F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 45°F

So Far Today
High: 45°F
Low: 43°F
Rain: 0.04"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Now through 10:00 AM CST December 17, 2008

Through 10 AM...isolated rain showers will continue to develop and move northeast over parts of east Texas...western Louisiana...and the adjacent coastal waters. Most of these showers will affect locations to the west of a line from 40 nm south of Cameron...to Mittie...and to Alexandria. This includes Fannett...Beaumont...Lumberton and Buna...over east Texas...and De Ridder...fort Polk...and Flatwoods over Louisiana. Rainfall amounts will continue to be generally light...averaging around one tenth of an inch or less.

Today High: 55 Areas of fog early in the morning. Cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain. Not as cool. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Warmer. Lows in the upper 50s. East winds around 5 mph.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010682.jpg
 
Chris, I thought you were a groundskeeper, not a roofkeeper. Is this because of budget cuts? I hope your coworker makes it okay.

Steve, I got one of those "your presence here is no longer required nor allowed" notices on Christmas eve one year.:mad:

It's cloudy, rainy, and gloomy here, 33 degrees this morning, with an expected high of 55. I moved here thinking Southern California was always sunny, what happened? Was it all propaganda? :eek:
 
Chris It's crap, every day on the news, 1000 here 1000 jobs there, and the latest 15000 in one go so it's not good
 
The job market here is just as grim thanks to the government allowing big businesses to relocate their factories to other nations so they could save a buck on labor costs.
 
I am finally free from class for a month. Did my last final today, and promptly took my english and political science books to the book buyback, made 60 bucks, then went to best buy and bought some gifts for my 4 sisters and brother in law.

Now I have tons of time to sit in the train room and plan the start of a layout, or at least something.

Still having some problems with power steering, or steering in general. I don't know if it just because of all the slush that keeps building up in the wheel well, or something else is bad now. Car is sitting in the garage warming up, so hopefully I will be able to figure this out quickly.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, sounds like quite a fall your coworker had. I hope he's OK. I tend to stay off anything higher than stepladder since I'm well known for taking dives off high places. :eek:

Rex, if the Dow hits 12,000 before the Sugar Bowl, I'll be buying. Otherwise, you guys are on your own. :)

Steve, at least the power company will be happy this January. There's actually a direct correlation between how gloomy people feel about the economy and the number Christmas lights they put up. Even way out in the country, when I was driving back from the ARG meet, I was amazed at the amount of lights people had all over their house, fences, barns, and just about anything else that was upright. I thought I was coming into a town one time but it was just the glow from one guy's house that must have had at least 20,000 lights! He also had one of every blow up piece of Christmas junk ever sold by Walmart and K-Mart combined.

Dan, at least you did well on your finals. The snow just comes with living in Minnesota, I guess.

The job issue down here is not jobs leaving the country but new plants for Toyota and KIA that were supposed to open but have been put on indefinite hold. Krupp-Thorsen is building a steel rolling plant in Mobile and construction that has slowed to a crawl and completion has been pushed back a year. Between the companies doing massive layoffs or just closing down and the lack of new plants coming on the scene, things are tough if you want a job that pays more $7 an hour. Combine that with a construction market that has basically collapsed and a lot of people in the South are hurting. But, never fear, Chairman Ben and the boys have lowered the effective interest rate to ZERO. He apparently missed where the interest rate was ZERO in Japan for five years in the 90's and their stock market was still in the tank. At the same time, this clown face Madoff was allowed to spend 10 years perpetrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history and none of the SEC regulators were able to figure out what he was doing. Something is rotten and it's not in Denmark. :mad:

Now, after I got that rant off my chest, it's still warm and humid here with a temperature of 73 while, 100 miles north, it's 48. It looks like we will remain on the warm side of this stalled front until about Saturday, when a stronger front should kick the cold air down here. So far, it doesn't look like we'll have any severe weather out of this but it's hard to believe we can get a slug of cold air in here and not have it kick off some storms.
 


O.K. My Co worker's(Randy) damages are: Broken facal bones on left side of face, Broke his hip on the left side and, Broke left wrist! And possible head trama!:eek: all that from a 9' height!:eek::eek::eek:He's going to be out for a while on workers comp! I hope he has long term/short term insur.:confused: He's got's a few surgeries today and the rest of the week! Wonderful Christmas huh! just when you think you got it bad!

As for me the past couple of days I'm nursing a upper RESP.infection!:( The weather is great for that kinda stuff down here. I woke up with 103* temp got home with a 102* Temp now is 100.1*......Tomarrow It's my turn on the Roof!:( so I got's to get better fast:rolleyes: I know I should Stay home and Rest.....But trust me I'd get more rest at work than at home!;) I got to much around here that need to get done:D I'll dog the job and use extreme caution! If you knew my work ethic u would under stand! Don't worry guys I'll Make it! I'm like a florida Roach!:(

So stay tuned to, 'As the Grounds Keeper bounces!"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top