Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffrey, having been both single and married, there are times I wish I was still single. :) However, the support and love of a good wife is hard to beat, as much as I complain sometimes. I hope you can get that brake line replaced without it killing your wallet too much.
I almost got married once. I won't go into it here. Too painful.

The cost to get the power steering line replaced is $165 for the labor. I already have the parts.
 
Good morning.

It's 73 and cloudy with thunderstorms threatening. The high will be in the upper 80's and there will be thunderstorms.

Went down to the parents house yesterday and mowed their yard. I mowed most of it with their new mower but had to finish up with the old Peerless tractor after a steel reinforcing strip ripped loose from the new mowers deck and got tangled in the blades. It stopped the engine dead as a hammer! I'll have to make arrangements with my father to help drop the deck so the offending bit of steel can be removed. I'm thinking about having a an 1/8" thick strip of welded across the front of the deck and remove what remains of the bolted on strip from the bottom. If you ask me that was a bad design decision as it is sure to snag on something and get ripped off, which is exactly what happened. The makers of the Yard Pro line (MTD) will be getting a letter about this. The new mower is easy to drive and can be handled by the average 8 year old. The old Peerless on the other hand, looking like an overgrown Yard Machine, takes a bit more muscle as it's very stiff and has a heavy shift. At just over 1,200 pounds it's quite a bit heavier too. After I finished I picked up my package that had arrived from Walther's. In it were two National Oil Company kits, two banded lumber stacks and one Digitrax DZ125 decoder. I can use one of the lumber stacks as a master to make a mold, that is if my latex rubber is still good. I got the two oil company kits put together in just a few hours. I still have to fill in the cracks where the tank halves join together. I was going to use contour putty for this but discovered that my supply had gone bad and is now hard as a rock in the tube. Murphy struck again. I'll have to go to my ever-present backup, the RoseArt modeling clay. It's a bit messy but it should do the job and I most definitely will have to paint the models afterwards. The DZ125 decoder is for my Atlas SD24. I'll install it when my hands are steady enough to do the job. The Atlas U30C will be getting a basic Bachmann decoder, the same one they suggest for some of their DCC equipped Spectrums. All I need for it is motor and light control. Later today my sister and I will be taking my mother out to lunch at the Wagon Master steak house in Leesville. That will be part of our Mother's Day present for her. Later my sister and I have plans to go see the new Star Trek movie. This is the 11th one to be released. I already have the other 10 plus all of the original series and a good part of the Enterprise series and part of the Voyager series. Yes, I'm a Trekkie, though I haven't been to a convention in a couple of decades.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/10/2009

Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 99%
Dew Point: 74°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph SSW

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P5100331.jpg
 


Good Morning people.

Got a bunch more rain last night and we are now at 5C. We are going to a high of 12C with our mix of sun/cloud. Tomorrow we will be sunny with a high of 16C.

Just got back in from vigorous walk. It is a bit brisk out there but at least I didn't see more rain acomin'!!

Jim I was looking at one yesterday--that may be the one to go with!!:):)---As for washed out road---how much of it got washed out?---and a variation of rain amounts like yours sounds like something we see up here. A while ago we had a series of showers that would go through----half of the crescent would get just hammered with barrels of rain, yet when you went to the other side of the crescent, it would look like it just dribbled there!:confused::confused: We even had a scenario at a shopping plaza were people would be parking at one side of the lot and would be watching a shower dump rain only a few spaces down for pete sake!!:confused: and they'd be in a dry spot!

We'll, I'm going to go and be taking it easy today--do some cleaning up and resetting some more track in the trainroom----have a good'un!!:D:D:D
 
PC I'm kinda thinkin' that a cargo van might be an idea---Audrey isn't so sure about teeensy minivans---either:eek::D:D

I like them. I've had a few over the years, and I like that they have good room to hold stuff and they keep your things out of any weather, but the best part is you can lock it and walk away and all your stuff is relatively secure. If all you're looking for is a garage sale hunting vehicle then it really just has to be comfortable (working heat and A/C and seats that aren't shreded) and mechanically sound. It doesn't really need to be all that pretty. That will save you some coin! (So you can get more stuff at garage sales to haul in it!)
 
Happy Mother's Day, Flo. And to all of you other Mothers too. If not for our Mothers, we wouldn't be here. And all of the cuts, bruises, and hurt feelings, Mothers are always there.

It's off to the MIL's house to have a family supper, do some fishing and give her a hug for raising such a great daughter.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Mother's Day to all those still with us. We have a wet one here with the rains continuing through the day.

:)Happy Birthday William! Wishing you many more. Drop me a line and tell me how things been.

My week has been full of honey-do's, but fortunately not for Bunco :D. Finally did the edging around the yard at the curbs, drives, and sidewalks...with a worn-out blade (It took about 2 hours longer than it should have). My hot tub circulation pump will be here tomorrow. I priced one through the Spa Shop and they wanted $247 plus tax and shipping cost. I found one on the Net for $162 shipping incl., no tax. The hot tub pump was a PIA to get out. Man, they know how to stuff a lot of things in a small space.

Next week's project is one we all love to do.....clean out the lower garage. Some day soon, I will be able to get back into the hobby...I hope:D.

Well, time to get going and pick up my 93 y.o. Ma for dinner. Ya'll have a good day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon Gang!
Hope everyone is having a relaxed Mothers day! I've been to visit mine, and the Mom-in-Law too, the wife is curled up on the couch with Midnight. Now it's my time to play!
Things arn't looking as bad for the Ranger as I had initially thought. Still needs 2 rotors,2 calipers, pads and a pair of front hub seals, but everything is now ordered from Advance Auto parts. The best part is it was just under $200 bucks. That included 2 years of warranty on the calipers and rotors, and the premium ceramic brake pads. Trust me, if you have ever had to fight removing brake dust from aluminum or chrome wheels, ceramic pads are worth thier weight in elbow grease! I put them on my Alero a few years back, and never regretted it. Parts will be in Tuesday, and a former co-worker friend says he'll do the hubs for me. He does them all the time, it's been 30 years since I took a set of manual 4x4 hubs apart!
Jim, Bunco huh? I'm gonna add that to the list of words that cause a Red Alert here. Doesn't sound like fun, and a day of preparing seem like a high price to pay for 3 hours in the basement. Good to see your endoesement of the Grand Vitara. Wifey is now on her 2nd Suzuki (metro/Swift) and is fully sold on them. I personally don't care for it. Not because it's not economical or pretty much mechanicly bulletproof, but because it's so tiny! I'm 6'2, so it's a beer can for me. I would love to get her into something bigger, but she loves her Suzuki. Maybe a Grand Vitara like yours might make a good compromise for us.
BOC. Cargo van? Careful there, you could have a 70's flashback and wind up putting port hole windows and shag carpet in it!!!:eek: Or a train mural down the sides!!!:rolleyes:
jbaakko I'll trade Ranger repairs with ya!:rolleyes:
Well, time now to play on the modules,,,,,one of these days I might get one done!!!
 
Just got back from town. My sister, niece and my neighbor and I all took went together to take my mother out to lunch at the local steak house. I had a 1/2 rack of BBQ ribs and mesquite grilled chicken with a side salad. The others had whatever they wanted. We had the best table in the place. It was a fun afternoon.
 


Josh, I hope your taillight lense is easier to replace than my headlight bulb.
A Ranger taillight is a matter of a couple of phillips screws, you open the tailgate, remove the screws, slide out the taillight, unclip the light bulbs, toss the old taillight, clip the bulbs, slide back in, screw the screws, and close the tailgate. It should take about 5 minutes, if you go slow.
 
Try changing a taillight bulb in a 90's model Buick Century. Ten minutes minimum. If you having to change the entire taillight assembly, well that goes ALL THE WAY ACROSS the rear end. You're looking at a couple of hours. Been there and done that.
 
I just poured the latex rubber and put the lumber stack in it so I can make a mold to make more stacks. I set it outside to cure as the latex does have a bit of an odor.
 
Had a lot of yard work this afternoon. We ended up moving 2 old concrete statues from one end of the garden back up the slight-yeah right:rolleyes::rolleyes: incline using some big ol' handtrucks the neighbour had. THEN came all the dang cleaning up all the remnants of the rainstorms that peppered the area the last coupla days.:eek::eek:--brush everywhere----:eek::eek:

Well, back to the yard work---aherm, cough cough:eek:
 
I was down at my parents place helping my father fix the new mower when we got a fire call. There was a dryer fire at a home about a mile up the road from here. By the time I got there our guys had the fire under control. Can't make it for Star Trek tonight. The theater is sold out.
 
Happy Mother's Day.

Started the day at my sisters for a light lunch with my family, along with one set of grandparents (who we live with) and Grandma. Then went to my grandma's house to cut her... almost acre lawn for the first time of the year. Talk about slow going. I had the blade at max height and still was having problems. I will have to go back for sure later this week. Would be nice if the mower had a bigger deck. The tiny one it has just takes too long.

Then came home, jumped on the Deere (which is a good 25 years old I think), and mowed the yard here. Had a lot of problems with the front hill. I wish I still had a push mower to use. We sold it to my brother-in-law because we had a lawn service. Well they haven't been so hot lately (okay down right crap), so we dropped them. Then I pulled up a bunch of weeds in the front yard.

Have a good one. I am out to have fun with friends. Hopefully I go to sleep at a reasonable time, final #1 is tomorrow.
 
Hi all - what a weekend it's been! Not necessarily bad, just very busy. Saturday was Confirmation Day for my 13yr-old daughter. I also picked up the new family 'putor and monitor. So from 2:30pm onwards, my time was not my own, with Confirmation Mass and the party afterward. And today, of course, was Mothers Day - so I didn't spend any time in the trainroom for that reason. But I was at least able to get the new 'putor up and running. And while I was at it, I also installed JMRI and DecoderPro on the old machine.

William, good to see ya, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Do you have to travel all the way to South Carolina just to visit with us?:D Don't be a stranger

Karl - glad that brake job on the Ranger wasn't as painful as you originally thought. I guess Advance Auto ain't so bad after all, eh? ;)

Jeff - bummer that Star Trek movie got sold out. That's why I always order my tickets online, a day or two before the show.

Corey - your layout probably looks alot like mine now, clutter-wise. At least that part's only temporary, and the end result will be worth the pain.

Rex - I, too, have been spending way too much time cutting grass. The blades on my mower are dull, and I have to go over the same area twice, sometimes even 3 times, to make it look decent. I need to find that set of spare blades and bring them to Ace HW for sharpening, pronto!

BOC - I'd love to get a cargo van for myself, just for the travel opportunities it would offer. Unfortunately other things have a claim on my money so that remains only a long-term dream...

Jim - what a difference a year can make, eh? I remember ~10 months ago you guys were having a major drought, now it looks like you got the opposite problem! At least like you were saying, your house is on a hill (mine is, too)

I know I missed a few of you, sorry about that - but I'm dog-tired and I need to be up at 5:00am, so I'm outta here!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Whatcha need done?
Just front pads, rotors,calipers and the dreaded disassembly and repacking of the manual 4x4 hubs. If it had slide off rotors it would be easy, but the hubs are a female dog. Plus being 21 years old im sure each bolt will have its own rust issue. Parts won't be in til Wednesday, so I have time to prepare.

But

I love my truck! :D
Ranger.jpg
 
Good early morning, everyone.

Well, after flowers, cards, and two sets of meals out for the wife and mother in law, I'm out about one and a half Atlas Gold sound equipped engines. :) Got to keep the girls happy though.

Karl, that truck looks like it's worth spending at least $200 on. You've done a nice job keeping it in good shape. If your wife ever mentions Bunco, tell her it causes cancer or something. Anything to get out of hosting it at your house. I've done less cleanup work when I was selling a house let alone a bunch of ladies coming over for three hours. If your wife is already sold on Suzuki's, she'd love a Grand Vitara and you would too. It's basically a larger and more comfortable Swift. Also a lot safer with six air bags.

Rex, sounds like you got stuck with even worse duty than Bunco Night cleanup. Like I said, plumbing is a mystery to me so the fact you are even able to get the pump out with breaking everything else is more than I could do.

Ken, indeed, we are now about three inches above normal just for the month and climbing. This is apparently a common pattern down here, with drought years followed by flooding. It's why a lot of farmers go bust here.

Dan, we have a really good yard service and the price is pretty reasonable. My yard is mostly on hills and I can just see myself flipping over a tractor. Our guy has one of those giant mowers with the two handles and he can cut the lawn at about 20 mph. He'd take Indy if they had lawn mower races, or at least be good competition for Chris. :D

Jeffrey, my late wife was a big Star Trek fan but I could just never get into it. I don't know what it is about that - you either love it or hate it. I think it was Spock's ears or something. That's too bad your attempt at marriage didn't pan out. I was lucky right out of the gate with my late wife for 38 years and July will be three with Dianna so I hope I'm just as lucky the second time out of the gate.

BOC, I don't think you'll go far wrong with a Grand Vitara (except for that danged headlight bulb). Lots of room and the 4WD versions does really well off road. Highway 82 is washed out for about a thirty foot section where the culvert blocked up and the water undermined the road. It looks like it will need an actual bridge (which it should have had in the first place) and the road will closed for at least six weeks. Just a short detour to get around it but, where it dumps you back on Highway 31, there's no traffic light so cars get really backed up waiting to turn. Going to be a big wreck there unless they install some temporary traffic signals. The nature of thunderstorms is exactly as you described, with areas within a few hundred yards getting twice or three times the rain. We don't really understand why this happens although it seems to have something to do with a mix of unstable air and terrain. Just a few feet change in elevation can increase or decrease rainfall dramatically. When scientists can explain this relatively simple phenomena, I'll start to take the idea they understand global climate change seriously. :rolleyes:

Terry and Josh, that's the nice thing about older vehicles. All the parts were just screwed on and in ways that made sense. I can remember when it was just three screws to get a headlight out too. This one is stuck in one of those trendy bubble kind of lenses and I can find no way to adjust it. It's pointed way too low now. I'll have to troll the web and see if I can find something. If not, there must be a secret trick and I'll have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.

Had an impressive looking bow squall line heading our way from Mississippi earlier this evening but the entire thing fell apart and we got two flashes of lightning and a whole .08 inches of rain. No complaints though, since we need a little break. Looks like a decent chance for more severe storms tomorrow. I need to get the last of the pre-Bunco yard cleanup done so I hope it holds off until at least noon. I'm thinking of putting the house on the market since it will never be this clean again. :D I'm looking forward to a few hours peace in the basement tomorrow night. Got a new Dustbuster so maybe I can get the layout looking presentable, not that any of the ladies would be interested in that. I'm sure my junk hanging job will get a close inspection though. ;)
 


Whew, good luck with that, ours is a '99, and it runs like a dream, even with the over powered 4L vs the standard 3L...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top