Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrystlers gone bankrupt. G.M. is next, and the way things are going, Ford probably isnt far behind. Why is this happening? Japan, Korea, and Germany have got us beat. How did this happen? Does anyone have an explanation? Better yet, does anyone have an excuse? I have my suspisions/theories/ideas on the subject. But then, I'm just a 44 year old man who'd rather just fix up his old cars and build a railroad EMPIRE in 1/87th scale. Still, I'm curious. What do you all think?
 
Looks nice, Chris, but it's just not that turquoise green like out in the Caribbean.

Tyco, the whole things is very disheartening but has been coming for at least 10 years. Korea and Japan are also in big trouble, with auto sales in their home countries as well as here dropping like rocks. Toyota actually had a worse monthly sales drop than GM or Ford in April. Germany is basically a non-player, with only Mercedes and BMW in the game and both of them are in nearly as much trouble as the other car companies. Ford is, by far, the healthiest car company in the world, and should remain that way assuming that the current administration doesn't find a way to destroy it too.

Here's the way I see that history unfolded:

1. Car companies continually expanded capacity with the idea that more people meant more cars.

2. Credit was easy to get and the rise of car leasing meant that many of what would be excess capacity cars were absorbed in the market. This was seen as real demand when it was, in fact, artificial and temporary.

3. All car companies, to a greater or lesser degree, improved quality and durability. It used to be common for a car to be worn out in 100,000 miles. Now, getting 200,000 miles out of a car isn't uncommon. Thus, an incipient decrease in demand developed that it took auto manufacturers far too long to recognize.

4. Refinancing overpriced homes was easy and a lot of that money went into new cars. As long as people saw the money as "free", pricing was not a big issue.

5. The Fed began to raise interest rates to stop non-existent inflation. This was the beginning of the end for the housing bubble and easy money for credit and new cars.

6. About 2005, there was a growing feeling that the housing market was on the cusp of collapse and people with sense sold while they could. At the same time, many more people were lured into homes they couldn't afford through low or no interest teaser rates and outright mortgage fraud.

7. Home prices began their inevitable collapse in about 2007. This dragged the net worth of individuals down at a rapid rate as many people couldn't refinance their teaser loans at a payment they could afford.

8. The SEC and Fed allowed the packaging of mortgages into all sorts of bizarre investment vehicles, like collateralized debt obligations. The exact value of each component wasn't important as long as the lender could foreclose and turn around and sell the house for 10% more than they lent.

9. House prices began to fall rapidly as people couldn't get loans and banks got stuck with foreclosures that were worth less than the 110% mortgages they sold.

10. The Fed didn't recognize the seriousness of the problem and took way too long to start lowering interest rates. At the same time, the greed and easy money of making 30% a year on real estate came home to roost as banks were stuck with more and more defaulting assets.

11. Foreclosures rose dramatically, almost no new homes were built, and it became nearly impossible to sell an existing home without taking a huge loss. Banks had to start writing down bad loans, which made them insolvent except for the fact the government was willing to come in and give our money away to save them.

12. To bring us back to cars, the average person either was less well off or felt less well off as his house plummeted in value. Unemployment began to rise as the banking crisis spread. Banks were fearful of lending any money to maintain capital ratios or they would be seized by the government. No lending meant no car loans. Again the car companies were asleep at the wheel and didn't recognize this was coming. They maintained a production capacity of 15 million units per year when the demand was dropping below 10 million per year. All this excess capacity pushed Chrysler over the edge and GM will shortly follow. This is what should have happened six months ago instead of using taxpayer money to support the living dead.

That's my take on all this. Multiple mistakes were made by both political parties and almost every industry in America. There is much more pain to come as more banks fail and become nationalized when the commercial real estate markets undergoes a similar collapse that the residential market suffered. After that, we have the coming Treasury bond bubble and hyperinflation to deal with. I'm no expert but I've been an investor for a long time and lived through a lot of recessions. This one is not like any we've had before, including the Great Depression. It's going to take us a long time to work our way out of this mess and, the longer the government keeps using taxpayer money to prop up those that should be allowed to fail, the more extended our pain will be.

For our children's and grand children's sakes, I hope I'm wrong. :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, add to your summation of the auto industry, the Fed's intervention, on our behalf of mandated "improvements" that had to designed and engineered at the expense of the industry. And the failure of the unions to realize that there IS a ceiling to wages and benefits. The industry and the labor force, with a bit of government mingling, all add up to one thing, higher cost and less sales.

It seems odd that in this "throw away" society, the only thing that improved in quality and life expectancy was the automobile.

The blame lies squarely on the Federal bureaucracy. The failure of the financial sector can be traced directly back to the "fair housing" agenda and putting people in homes that they could not afford. Once the economy tightened up and money was being forced into the economy from the banks by the Feds, the handwriting was on the wall. Failure was the only result that could happen. No other options.

My question is, how can we depend on the government to run banks and businesses when they can't keep the financial ledger of this country in the black?

I do like the current financial dilemma. I sold high and am now buying back in low. The stock I sold at $75/share, I am now buying back a $6. In fact, I am actually buying more stock in the railroads and "green" energy than I would have, say, 10 years ago. I'm also considering burying my money in Mason jars in the yard.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, you're probably right about the dangers of unsupervised shopping. I can see that draining my bank account in short order. :eek: We've really thought about Florida but none of the women have ever been to the tropics so that's why we're going to the Bahamas. Florida would have been fine with me but you've got to keep the women happy.

I GOT IT!:)




MIAMI, FLORIDA!:eek::D:rolleyes:


It's Cheaper, you can drive to it, No body speaks english, Your life is always in danger, and it's a totaly diffrent world there so it's like leaving the country!


Now, if your looking for tropical and strange.....Hmmm?


I got it, "The Keys, Key west to be exact!

The men talk like women and the women talk like men and none of it is english! and you life remains in danger, It's a totally diffrent world yet, and it's like leaving the planet or going to San Fransco!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks.

I am up bright and early to help my Kiwanis club clean a highway. I've never done it before, but it's about time I did. Earlier in the year I was so happy to see the bags of garbage on the roadside, ready to be piked up. I thought, "boy, I'm sure glad they cleaned that up". Then I thought, "who's they?" Well wouldn't you know, at a Kiwanis meeting the other day they announced that we would be doing the clean up at eight a.m. Saturday. I requested to come in late at work and here I go. I'll have to to bring a change of close so I don't have to clean in a suit! I'm starting to understand the good feeling of volunteering again!

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes! I had a good day at work and the evening wasn't too shabby either. I ordered the twenty ounce prime rib, medium rare! I could have finished it, but we had dessert instead. Now I have a prime rib sandwich waiting for me later.:D A few of my family forgot to call, but I forget to call them some years too.

NO modeling tonight. We are getting together tonight with my in laws for my birthday. I requested a night of bowling and beer! I haven't done that in a long time.

I hope you folks have a great day! I know I will!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Howdee folks.

Been a few weeks, busy with other projects lately so haven't had a chance with much MR stuff.

Having said that, I went to the Brisbane Model Train show today and picked up a few bargains!

I bought a Intermountain SD40T-2 in UP paint for $89 which is about $65USD! I might have to go back tomorrow and get an SP and Cotton Belt one :P

Also got an Atlas 8-40B painted up in NS colours for $95. :)

Also picked up some boxcars and a gondola from various vendors, 4 Athearn N and the rest are Micro Trains, I bought 10 Micro Trains cars from a good friend of mine who manufactures HOn3.5 Queensland rolling stock, got 10 cars for $150. :)

So this is what I got...

SD40T-2 UP 2911
D8-40B NS 4805

50' FMC Railbox Patched report marks CNA 553756
50' FMC New Orleans Public Belt 4188
50' FMC Sabine River Northern 5159
50' FMC New Orleans Public Belt 3978
50' FMC St Marys Railroad 429
50' FMC Apalachicola Northern 5589
50' FMC Chattahoochie Industrial RR 90068
50' Berwick Rail box 2087
50' Berwick BNSF 'swoosh' 725698
50' Berwick Nevada Northern 223
50' Berwick Maine Central 'Guilford' 20081
50' PS Southern '200,000th Car scheme 550 555
50' PCF Milwaukee Road 50851
50' ?? PRR Gondola 342652

and a picture (click)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/OZJIM/IMGP9684.jpg
 
Who's going to go some were this summer for vacation?:confused:


Where ya going?



We're not going on vacation this year kinda, my time is going to be used up with my wife up comming operation and recovery next month:rolleyes:
 
Good morning gang. I have to make this a quick post since I have a major honey-do facing me: It's my wife's turn to host the neighborhood women's Bible study and I agreed to get the house cleaned up for it. The sooner I get that done, the sooner I can dash off to the LHS and pickup the Walthers Cornerstone street sections to finish off my business district. The weather is wet and drizzly here so I have an excuse for not mowing the lawn :rolleyes:

Jim - I sure hope the future doesn't unfold as grim as what you described!:eek:

Chris - you got that right, about the vacation destinations you were describing! Wait another 6-8 years and the whole country will be like that!

James - I see your post answered a question I asked you in WPF [about the scale you're modeling]. Quite a nice haul of stuff!

Have a good'un everybody
 
Good morning.

It's 71 and partly cloudy. The high will be around the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Went to Alexandria yesterday to visit the LHS and found that is was closed for the weekend so I went to Hobby Lobby instead. Picked up Bob's hot dog stand (on sale 1/3 off) and a Bachmann Erie Lackawanna covered hopper. Both went under the weathering spray of alcohol/black acrylic last night just before dark and they look fairly good now. Plans for today are still undetermined. I'm currently looking through the Walther's monthly flyer. I'll be ordering a Digitrax DZ125 decoder (245-DZ125) and I'm considering the lumber stack (506-130) and the National Oil Company (433-1331). I may order two of them.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/2/2009

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 72°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph S

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P5010299.jpg
 
I just placed my order with Walther's. The total came to $59.93. That includes $14 for shipping (2-4 business days).

Items ordered are:

245-DZ125 Digitrax DZ125 decoder 24.99 each - Quantity 1 @ 24.99

506-130 Model Railstuff banded lumber stack 4.98 each - Quantity 1 @ 4.98

433-1331 Life-Like National Oil Company 7.98 each - Quantity 2 @ 15.96
 


Afternoon, everyone.

Bob, I would argue that the failure of businesses to push back against the interference of the government and the ever growing demands of labor are also a factor. Business leaders took the easy way out, caving into to demands that would, in the long term, wreck their businesses. The banks and car companies that took federal money are now finding out that it wasn't free. Everything has been about short term gain at the cost of long term stability. Now we have neither. I've been a buyer of railroad stocks for a long time and they have held up surprisingly well through all of this. They are now starting slide, which makes no sense in an economy that's supposedly in recovery. If that sector doesn't show a turnaround soon, I'm dumping the railroads. The Mason jar idea has had some appeal lately. :)

Chris, I've been to Miami and Key West. The only advantage is my concealed weapon permit is good in Florida. :D After spending 35 years living near San Francisco, the last thing I want is to spend time in a hot and sweaty version of the same place. That's too bad you have to use vacation time for your wife's surgery but here's hoping it's successful and that she recovers fast.

Corey, bowling and beer sounds great! I haven't been bowling in about 20 years but used to enjoy it a lot when I bowled leagues. It's nice you got the time off to help clean up the mess everyone throws out their windows. We really are living in a society of pigs.

James, how come you have a better selection of American prototypes in Australia than I have in Alabama? :p Nice catches, though, especially that IM SD40-2. I don't think I could get that for $65 here. Did you pay $150AU for the ten Micro Trains cars? If so, you really got a deal.

Ken, I sure hope I'm wrong too, for the sake of everyone coming behind me. Are you going to get brick street sections? Seems like it's almost mandatory with you being from Baltimore. I just read an article that Baltimore has more miles of brick and Belgian Block streets left than any other city in America.

Jeffrey, it's been so long since I ordered anything from Walthers that I think they forgot I exist. :rolleyes:

I think I finally have the vacation squared away now that my travel insurance company is on board for a mere $53 additional premium. What a ripoff. Now I just have to hope the tropics stay quiet and the whatever flu calms down and doesn't invade the Bahamas. It's partly cloudy and hot here today with a high of 92 so far. The dewpoint is creeping higher but all the rain is still north of us and the chances of any of it getting here today is getting dimmer by the hour. Maybe tomorrow...or Monday...or by June. ;)
 
Afternoon, everyone.



James, how come you have a better selection of American prototypes in Australia than I have in Alabama? :p Nice catches, though, especially that IM SD40-2. I don't think I could get that for $65 here. Did you pay $150AU for the ten Micro Trains cars? If so, you really got a deal.


Yep $150 AU. My mate had $18/20 on the cars but I offered him $150 for 10 of them and he took it! I'm seriously considering going back tomorrow to buy another one or two IM SD40T-2s and more cars :D
 
well... I wen't out on a dare tonight (more of a challenge), and I now have burgundy hair.

Luckily it doesn't look too off from my normal color. I can't believe I did this though. So if I am not around for a few days, my family has disowned me.
 
Burgundy. Nice color. I used to have a Dodge Omni that color. I drove it til it dropped, about 200,000 miles. The guys at the Chrysler dealership here were acting like it deserved some kind of plaque for lasting that long. In the end it was the engine that gave out. Those little Shelby's were good.
 
Good morning.

It's 73 and cloudy with rain. The high should be around the low 80's and there will be thunderstorms.

Went into town yesterday ostensibly to get a haircut but the one real barbershop (charges $11) in town was closed. I hadn't taken into account the Mayfest celebrations going on down on Third street until tomorrow sometime. There are other places to get a haircut but they advertise as salons. No way am I paying $40 for a regular haircut! I'll just have to wait until Tuesday. I did however get the grocery shopping done despite the fact that Wal-Mart was a madhouse. I'll likely be going back today to use my food stamp ration. No work on the layout yesterday as I was tied up with other matters. Since it's going to rain today I cut my parents grass yesterday afternoon then had dinner with them afterwards. It's looking like the weather will be pretty nasty today. The NWS has a severe thunderstorm watch in effect until 11am.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/3/2009

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 20mph SSE

Severe thunderstorm watch 231 in effect until 11 AM cdt this morning.

Now through 08:30 AM CDT May 03, 2009

Strong thunderstorms are expected to move into Tyler...Jasper and Newton counties around 7 AM and into Beauregard and Vernon parishes before 8 AM. These storms will produce very strong and gusty winds...torrential rainfall and cloud to ground lightning. Elsewhere...showers and thunderstorms in rapides and avoyelles parishes will move northeast. Storms will produce cloud to ground and brief heavy rainfall.

Today High: 82 Showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe with heavy rainfall...large hail and damaging winds in the morning. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 65 Showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 60s. West winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P5020300.jpg
 
Good afternoon folks.

I bowled like a champ last night. We had sixteen people bowling, it was quite the sight! You know you have some very skilled 'athletes' when your goal is to break 100! :)

I painted the riverbed today. My paint color didn't work out the way I wanted, so I covered it in WS fine dark brown ballast. This was leftover from the last layout. The river bed is already bumpy form the sculptamold, so the the texture looks kind of nice. I outlined the banks and the piers in fine brown talus. I noticed that the talus is large ballast. That's okay, the size in the bag varies form large to fine. This is a great example of things going completely different than I planned. The end results won't be known until everything dries, but I think I'll be happy with the results. I may need to continue with some ground foam for the hillside just to get it covered. How exciting!

Well, this has been a great day off. Usually Tuesdays are better, but the wife is napping right now. That makes for another 'me' day!

Have a great day!:D
 
Went to town this morning to get more groceries. On the way I hit a bump in the road, you know, one of those thing where it looks like a tree is trying to push it'
​
s way through. Anyway it went right down the right side of the underside of my car. I hoped it hadn't done any damage. Darn! I couldn't see the thing for all the rain. When I got into town I discovered that my power steering had gone away. Well, no power steering and hitting bump in road = damage. Nothing I could do with it pouring down rain so I had to top up the reservour and continue on as best I could. Got to Wal-Mart and got the groceries I needed. I refilled the
​
reservour and returned home. After the rain stopped for a while this afternoon I refilled the reservour again then started the car. Looking underneath I can see where it's coming from. I just can't get at it. After the nearest ditch dries out I should be able to work on it. A ditch isn't a pit but it's the next best thing. Tomorrow the parish is getting a call about this. They're supposed to be responsible for any damage done to a vehicle by road conditions such as this and it's not like this thing popped up overnight.
 
AHHHHH it sure feels good to relax some. Started mowing with the walk behind snapper at 12:30 and just got out of the shower 6:15PM. 2 hours walking and 2 1/2 hours on the Kubota which is not bad because it usually only 3 1/2 hours to mow the all the yards. I ran the weed wacker last week but should have run it again from the looks around the sidewalks and edging stones around the tree and flower beds.
Glendia wanted me to mow yesterday afternoon after I got home for the model RR layout tour but I was not in the mood so today I had no help and had to do it all. Feel real good but tired so not a bad day at all.
 


Well Larry, while you were out mowing, I rode my bike on down to Nashville and ran around in the hills for a while. GREAT therapy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top