Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!

This was indeed a beautiful weekend! Of course most of Saturday was spent on the riding mower, thats the price one pays for having an oversized lawn. At least I did get some mrr stuff done: I finished the drugstore, and I'm 90% done with the White Tower Hamburgers kit. After this all I'll need to do is put down some roadbed and sidewalks that my LHS had to special-order for me - they'll be in on Thursday - and my business district will be complete. Then it's time to clear away all the clutter and start running trains again!

Corey - bummer about that cancelled wedding. Hope the business still made a profit with the prom tux rentals.

Karl - glad to hear you succeded in getting Midnight bathed! I'd never heard of giving cats baths before either, until my wife mentioned that her parents gave their cat a "flea bath" when she was younger.

Jim - have fun on your Cancun trip, hope the swine flu hysteria doesn't mess up your plans.

BOC - The news media need something to scare people into buying their papers, look at the financial trouble many of them are in!

Rex - enjoy your camping trip!

Larry - that must have been quite a sunset [or sunrise?] that inspired you to shoot those pics. I've noticed whenever I try to photograph sunrises/sunsets, a large amount of the red color gets washed-out.

You guys can add me to the "cannot eat bananas" list - I love the flavor, but I get this nasty abdominal pain ~ 15 minutes later whenever I eat one. I'm guessing allergies are to blame.

Gotta go, I'm not retired yet...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ken It was sunrise and my wife asked why I was taking pictures of it and I told her because I can and wanted too. When I first seen it a really bright orange appeared but the photos kind of turned it into bright yellow.
 


Evening, everyone.

Karl, I'm glad you were able to get your cat bathed with no major damage. You're a braver man than me.

I actually had to do this the hard way. My old house had glass sliding shower doors......when it came to flea dip time (thanks to the dog!) I would half-fill the tub with flea dip, and one by one we would round up the kitties and take them into the bathroom, #2 son would open the door and I'd toss them in. After bouncing around ( like a rubber ball inside a pinball machine) and splashing for about 5 minutes, #2 son would open the door a crack and #1 son would catch them in a beach towel as they came rocketing out! At that time they were handed off to the ex and #3 son for drying.

In 20 minutes time we had 4 dipped cats, and NO injuries!:D

Howabout it Jim, you patent the cat vacuum, and I'll patent a cat washing machine! We can retire!!!
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Man, Corey, that must have been havoc not have the groom show up. Nothing like ruining your profit and I'm sure the bride's day at the same time. Back in medieval times, the best man's job was to make sure the groom showed up. If he didn't, the best man had to marry the bride! :eek:

Larry, looks like it was an inspiring sunrise. There are advantages to being unemployed.

Tom, I would have found some way to drop off the wife at the outlet mall and then snuck over to the railroad museum. I'd rather wash a cat than go to an outlet mall. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey, the sky is full of contrails this morning and the humidity is up so that means we're at least getting some upper level moisture mixing down to the surface. I hope we get some rain since it's been a dry and hot week.

BOC, I'm not sure what the real motivation is for creating this worldwide panic over a fairly innocuous form of influenza. For example, over half of the people hospitalized in Mexcio City have already recovered and gone home. Over 900 people died in Mexico City during the normal flu season. This is not a repeat of the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic but you wouldn't know it by watching the WHO and the CDC. I figure I might as well make some money on this so had orders in for the market opening to buy Roche, which makes Tamiflu, and SmithGlaxoKline, which makes Relenza. Both of these are effective againts this flu and everyone and their brother will be wanting it because we're all gonna die!. Up about 7% on those two stocks today so I hope they keep spreading the panic for a while. ;)

Ken, post some pics of your drugstore. I'm interested to see how you finished the building. That White Tower kit has always interested me but I have no place to put it. I really don't think this panic will stop us from going to Mexico and the upside may be that we'll be the only ones there. :D

Phillip, I've actually thought of duct tape in my darker moments. :o We put this stuff called Revolution on them now, which kills fleas and ticks. It's just a little tube of clear liquid I need to get on the skin behind their neck. I have to wrap them up in beach towels just to put that on. You'd think I was trying to kill them by the fight they put up. This is why I like fish for pets.

Karl, sounds like you had the system down for flea baths. Not enough hands here to run that kind of production line. I did actually try the new shop vac on one of the cats but they are too fat now. The wife got kind of upset at me for that even though I told her it was just an experiment. I don't think kitty vacuums are going to fly on the commercial market. :confused:

Getting some cloud buildups and it's only 85 so there's some hope of a stray shower or two over the next few days. I'll take whatever we can get or I'm going have to start dragging hoses around soon. :mad:
 
Hey all!

Karl...thanks for the info on the avatar change. I think I just run out of patience with instructions :) Tab A into Slot B kind of instructions make my teeth hurt!
I will make the change this evening when I get home.

Jim...I don't much believe in most black helicopter conspiracy theories...but I figure if the govt can make us focus on the fear of a pandemic...perhaps we will forget the economy for a time.

Rex...I reckon you are already headed out, but I hope you have a great trip.

Bob...sheesh! Now I have a hankering for fresh peaches! We have peach 'farmers' on the Western Slope and they raise peaches that rival those wonderful Georgia peaches. They are at their peak in August and now I can hardly wait!

Jeffrey...I had never heard of tomatoes lowering blood sugar. Very interesting! I ate at a new Italian restaurant in town yesterday night so I should be good in the blood sugar levels ;) I had some eggplant parmasana (sp?) that was pretty darn good. Of course the tiramasu (sp) could have erased any tomato good effects!

Have a great week!

Sandy
 
Jeffrey, the sky is full of contrails this morning and the humidity is up so that means we're at least getting some upper level moisture mixing down to the surface. I hope we get some rain since it's been a dry and hot week.
It's just plain gray here. 83 degrees, 56% humidity and clouds on top of clouds.
 
What can I say?
smiley-grin.png
 


Sheeeeesh!!! Dang meeting took all ferschlugener day to finish!!:mad::mad::eek:---Got into one of those issues over certification testing that a couple of union reps had a disagreement with each other over.And then it became one of those snipe, argue, bicker, sorta things wherein poor chair--namely moi, had to finally call for an adjournment and restart the dang thing tomorrow.:mad::mad: If I catch any of this tomorrow, I crabbed, I'll lock all offenders in a single timeout room and let them demolish themselves:mad::mad:---and I even got a bosscall from head office telling me I have the authority to do so:mad::mad::eek::D:D

Jim Any increase is a good thing---:D:D

Karl I had the "honour" of bathing "Baby" --our 25lb tank/bobcat--that was fun---I wore a heavy leather type of welders gloves and overall kind of thing---picture this on a 12-13yr old:eek::):)--and HE cooperated!!!:eek::D No fighting no roaring into my ears---none of that. I spent the rest of the night with him in my lap:eek:
 
Karl I had the "honour" of bathing "Baby" --our 25lb tank/bobcat--that was fun---I wore a heavy leather type of welders gloves and overall kind of thing---picture this on a 12-13yr old:eek::):)--and HE cooperated!!!:eek::D No fighting no roaring into my ears---none of that. I spent the rest of the night with him in my lap:eek:

Egads man, a 25 pound feline?? Wet it's probably 50 pounds!!! Midnight has been pretty unsociable the last 2 days, and staying put in his favorite chair. Not sure if he's still a little put off, or if it has something to do with the 90 degree temps today.
Maybe a little Tuna will change his attitude??:confused:
 
Egads man, a 25 pound feline?? Wet it's probably 50 pounds!!! Midnight has been pretty unsociable the last 2 days, and staying put in his favorite chair. Not sure if he's still a little put off, or if it has something to do with the 90 degree temps today.
Maybe a little Tuna will change his attitude??:confused:

It might be the heat:eek:---'Spring' tends not to be quite as rumbustious when it gets really hot----and with the humidity recently----try a little treat--might pick him up a tad:):)
 
Evening, everyone.

Sandy, I'm not a big believer in consipiracy theories either but I'm starting wonder if the paranoid might not be right. Does anyone else find it strange that Obama happened to visit Mexico just before the swine flu things started? And, that the guy who was the head of the Mexican National Anthropology Museum, who showed Obama around personally, died seven days later from what sounds like, but the Mexican government claims isn't, swine flu? Or that none of the people who went to Mexico with Obama, including all the govenment hacks and press and Obama himself don't have any symptoms of swine flu but they issued a travel warning for Americans not to go to Mexico? Oh, and while Janet WhoeverSheIs, the Director of Homeland Security, is on TV scaring the heck out of everyone because we're all gonna die, Obama is so concerned that he's out playing golf? Something just isn't right here. :mad:

BOC, are sure you're not running a kindergarten there? Maybe they need some warm milk and cookies to help even out their tempers. :) Our big cat, Simba, is a Maine Coon Cat and weighs in at about 18 pounds. I would no more try to give him a bath than stick forks in my eyes. A 25 pounder sounds downright scary. :eek:

Karl, I'm glad you got the right one on the second try. I know a lot of guys who are on wife #4 or #5 and still unhappy. You know, it's odd, but our cats have been laying around doing nothing in the past week since it got hot. The strange thing is that they are in an air conditioned house where the temperature never changes. How do they know it's hot outside? I wonder if one of them has figured out how to read my weather station or something.

Jeffery, at least you got a light show. We had a few cumulus clouds that promptly evaporated after sunset.

It's a clear and pleasant evening here with a temperature of 68 after a high of 88. The humidity is still on 58%, which is really dry for this time of night in Alabama. I hope we get some increase in humidity tomorrow since it looks like the lapse rates are increasing and we could get a few pop-up thunderstorms tomorrow if we can get the atmosphere moistened up a little. Otherwise, the best chance we have of rain, and slim at that, is Sunday.
 


Good morning folks

It was 65 F on its way to 89 F. It looks like it will be returning to normal April temperatures tomorrow as we will be the sixties. Rain, however will be accompanying the cooling temperatures. There could be thunderstorms tonight.

My son has his first troop meeting last night as a Boy Scout. The boys are working on making skits for the upcoming Court of Honor. I am not sure if he had more fun at the meeting itself or during the dodge ball game at the end.

No modeling. One of these days I will get some in.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top