Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning--We are socked by good ol' pea soup fog this am. We are at 18C going to a high of 24C in a mix of sun/cloud with the 40% chance of showers and T'storms today as well. We are supposed to clear up tonight and get sun with the high of 28C tomorrow--then it gets rainy again in the evening.:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Checked the BS this morning---5. Not bad for this sugarholic!!:rolleyes:;)---BTW--Bob--and all else The problem with most commercially made pizza is the dough--refined white flour. The way around that is to build from scratch (sounds familiar--HMMM, I wonder why:rolleyes:). The pizza dough could be made from whole grain type of flour which actually goes into bloodstream much slower than spiky white flour does. Sugar is in most everything and, well, the body needs SOME kind of sugar for instant energy. Eat in smaller portions --helps. :):):)

Get to do some fix/repair stuff today---more big branches plopped into our back yard from all the dang T'storms we got--have a good'un;);):)
 
WHOA!!! Pizza, one of my LOVES, is also one of the foods that drive the old blood sugar to the moon and back. Another thing is saltine crackers. Neither are good for me. Make me VERY sleepy. Good indication that the BS is high.

Another odd thing is that tomatoes tend to bring the blood sugar down.... Freaky.

Bob
You'll note that I said it was a thin crust pizza. Not much dough there to drive the blood sugar up.
 
Good morning.

It's 68 and cloudy. The high will be in the mid 80's today and it will be partly cloudy.

I got the barber shop and the Ace Hardware stop finished yesterday and set them in their respective places on the layout. I also got the fence around the Shell station property done. Today I think I'll just sit back and take it easy. That's what Sunday is for after all, a day of rest.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/26/2009

Wind Chill: 69°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 65°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 68°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 21mph SSE

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4260239.jpg
 


G' mornin crew!
It's 65 degrees out on the back porch, the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the cat is nowhere to be found. OK, fess up, who told him he was getting a B-A-T-H today????:D I heard him earlier running down the steps when I got out of bed, but he has been unusually quiet and out of sight since! Looks like I might have to borrow a cat vacuum soon! :D
Let me go get this over with, so I can get onto other stuff (like trains!)
Catch y'all later!
 
WHOA!!! Pizza, one of my LOVES, is also one of the foods that drive the old blood sugar to the moon and back. Another thing is saltine crackers. Neither are good for me. Make me VERY sleepy. Good indication that the BS is high.

Another odd thing is that tomatoes tend to bring the blood sugar down.... Freaky.

Bob
Have you had your sugar tested? A proper glucose tolerance test takes a morning, and may save your life if a candy bar puts you to sleep.
My sugar runs low, and the more sugar I eat, the lower it gets, and the docs can't figure out why.
 
I've been diagnosed as a diabetic for some years now. Very familiar with testing BS. Three times a day. I tested 98 this morning. The goal is to stay below 140. M y BS will jump to the 180-210 mark about 45 minutes after a meal, if it is a large meal. It falls within 30 minutes, or so, back below the 140 mark.

Spring-Summer-Fall is better as I am MUCH more active. The numbers stay within their marks more often. Winter finds me active but not as active as in the warmer months. Also in later summer, when the gardens start coming in bearing their goods, I have a hard time maintaining a higher BS number as I am constantly eating raw fruit and vegetables.

My A1c was very high this past test, but will be around 5-6 in a couple of months down the road. Cholesterol was good, except that my "good" cholesterol was low, around 35. Doc said eat more fish and amino-3 fatty acids(fish oil caps). Lipids were excellent. I was able to get rid of the Tricor tablets, a good thing as those were EXPENSIVE with no generic available.

But, as the others can attest, there are some foods that affect us differently. Saltines drive my blood sugar crazy. What's a bowl of soup without crackers? And another odd thing is that I can eat homemade oatmeal raisin cookies with little affect.

I don't understand the BS reading of 5. That would have me in a irreversible diabetic coma. A reading of 75 has me shaking so bad that it's hard to hit my mouth with a spoon. And believe me, my body lets me know when the numbers are askew.

As far as your problem Terry. As there are two types of diabetes, Type 1 and 2, there are differences within the types also. My body doesn't recognize sugar as a fuel. So, it burns fat. One of the symptoms I had was sudden weight loss. I went from 225# to 181# in about 2 months. I was still eating like a horse. My pants were falling off of my waist, I was always tired, BS was all over the place(I know that now after reflecting with new knowledge). I'd get "shaky"(low BS) then I'd almost fall asleep on my feet(high BS). I'd have your doctor run a triglyceride test and a liver function test.

Well time for a lunch. Looks like a tuna salad sandwich and fresh peaches.......

Bob
 
Bob I'm on an older BS meter. A 5 roughly translates to about 100 on yours. The one I'm using was an older measurement style. And yes--certain foods do make for a different effect with some. A dang chocolate bar does zilch with me but a slice of whole wheat will send the Blood Sugar through the roof.:confused::confused:-----but then, my nutritionist tells me that white sugar will only have a small effect with some---others not so:eek::confused:

A glucose tolerance test that I had recently put me at a 6.
 
certain foods do make for a different effect with some. A dang chocolate bar does zilch with me but a slice of whole wheat will send the Blood Sugar through the roof.:confused::confused:
It's the same way with me. I can eat chocolate bars all day long with no real rise in the blood sugar numbers but just one little sandwich with white or wheat bread will put it in orbit around the dog star! Tomatoes/tomato sauce help keep it down. That's how I can enjoy a thin crust pizza. Bananas make me sick as a dog. The doc says it something to do with potassium levels and mine is always high, so anything with a big load of it like a banana, an avocado or what have you and it's going off the deep end.
 


Hi everyone! Hope all have enjoyed their weekend.
We have finally finished all the prep and loading for the camping trip tomorrow and just need to hitch up. My shoulder can vouch for all the cleaning on the truck and camper. They weren't that dirty, but the job I did was danged near detailing. TOO MUCH! (I'll learn about the effects of age, someday:rolleyes:!)

Guess I will go ahead and shut this puter down. I will see you next Sunday. Hope all have a good and safe week.:)
 
Bananas make me sick as a dog. The doc says it something to do with potassium levels and mine is always high, so anything with a big load of it like a banana, an avocado or what have you and it's going off the deep end.

Funny, I've experienced the same thing with bananas, ever since I was about 18. I just thought I was wierd.

BTW, the Kitty has been bathed............Heavy leather lineman's gloves worked like a charm. I was unscathed,,,,,but the wife did recieve 3 small punctures from an errant rear paw.:eek:
 
Funny, I've experienced the same thing with bananas, ever since I was about 18. I just thought I was wierd.

BTW, the Kitty has been bathed............Heavy leather lineman's gloves worked like a charm. I was unscathed,,,,,but the wife did recieve 3 small punctures from an errant rear paw.:eek:

That is when you need a video of it. Midnight must've been mighty impressed!!:eek::D:D
 
Funny, I've experienced the same thing with bananas, ever since I was about 18. I just thought I was wierd.
That's what I used to think, but the doc tells me it's not all that rare. Not real common either. I started having problems with bananas and avocados when I was about 21-22 and started having problems with cherries when I was around 30.
 
Evening, everyone.

I don't even try to give the cats baths. They clean themselves up just fine. They are all house cats so they don't get dirt type dirt on them. I think trying to get any of them in water would lead to major injuries for me, the cat, or both. They will splash around in their water bowl with no problem but a bath tub freaks them out.

Boy, it's tough to figure out everything that affects blood sugar and what keeps it under control. Lycopene is the stuff in tomatoes that helps lower blood sugar. The effects of lycopene are even stronger if you get it from cooked tomatoes so a thin crust pizza can actually help lower blood sugar for some people. It's almost impossible to have a one size fits all solution, as you guys well know. What drives up blood sugar in one person does nothing in another. So far, my BS levels have been fine and I hope they stay that way.

BOC, sounds like quite a line of storms you had. Interesting how, when it's calm down here, it seems to get more violent up north.

Karl, I'm glad you were able to get your cat bathed with no major damage. You're a braver man than me.

Rex, have fun with your shiny trailer and pickup. Your arm will probably get better just when it's time to head home. :) I hope you take some photos of where you end up going. I'm looking for some good camping spots up your way to keep the motorhome exercised.

Another sunny, warm day here with a high of 89. Spent most of the day at church for various activities. I've come to the conclusion that you can get too much church sometimes, especially if it interferes with my nap. :D We are supposed to leave for Cancun on May 17. As usual, my well known ability to cause havoc on any vacation has started again with the swine flu panic. Medically, this is really not a big deal since this variant of flu is very mild outside Mexico. Even in Mexico, there have only been 20 deaths and we're not sure why anyone died there. This flu can easily be treated with one of two antivirals. For some reason, both the press and the government are treating this like the end of the world. The idea of declaring a national health emergency for 20 cases of mild flu here is baffling. OTOH, this national 'emergency" gives the federal government powers is doesn't normally have, including mandatory quarantines and the power to close borders and limit trade and travel. Seems very odd unless you want to create a crisis so more rights can be taken away because WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! But maybe I'm just cynical.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning. Sort of------:rolleyes:

Weatherguessers have us going to 26C in the sunshine with clouds coming back in the evening with yet another line of tunderboomers and such going through overnight. Tomorrow? Clouds and some more rain----and a high of 13C.

Jim As for the swine flu, Fear and Paranoia is the name of the game I guess. There seems to be a lot of neurotic types that take to panic everytime there is a hiccup of one sort or another----the newsguys up here seem to have to bring up the flu epidemic of 1918--when there were no antivirals. This am the reports are thousands in Mexico seriously ill and 108 died. The news guys up here are playing this for all it is worth. The prophets of doom are in full swing---"we're doomed we tell you ---doomed!!":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for 'Spring' he is a very meticulous cleaner himself thank you very much. Which is a good thing too as he is a very squirmy cat as it is-----no need for any bath as far as HE's concerned.

Got an early meeting to go to today hence the silly hour I'm up----have a good'un. ------Have a safe trip RexHea!!!
 
It's A Beautiful Morning

It is just a really fantastic morning here in the Heartland. It is good to be alive and I'm feelin fine.
Getting ready to start on the honey-do list.

1.) Refinish the kitchen cabinets. I hate painted cabinets but with my job situation new cabinets are out of the question.

2.) Start reading the front yard for the new sidewalk amd steps leading to our front door. Tilling the path for the sidewalk, removing the dirt and building the forms.

3.) Whatever else floats her boat. Being retired/unemployed sure is hard work:D

Pictures taken from my front porch
 
Last edited:
Good morning folks

It was 65 F as I headed in this morning. Our high today will be 92 F. This was a hot weekend for April. Saturday the high was 90 F and yesterday it was 93 F. Crazy weather. Three days before the temperatures hit the nineties we had frost!

This was busy weekend despite the fact the wife and I did not work. On Saturday we drove out to Lititz, PA and visited the Wolf Sanctuary of Pennsylvania. It was a pretty neat place. We saw several different breeds of wolfs. We did the trip as a reconnoiter for a possible Cub Scout trip or possible community service project for our pack next year. We then made a stop at the outlets in Rockvale on the way home. We drove through Strasburg and past the RR Museum of PA and the Strasburg RR but did not have time to stop.

Sunday we had my daughter’s flute recital. The recital involves vocalist, guitarist, and flutist. My daughter was the only instrument player who did two pieces. She did a traditional Irish piece (whose name escapes me at the moment) and Moon Dance. She did both of them almost flawlessly. The couple of little problems I don’t think anyone noticed other than my wife and I. We knew where the rough spots were and were listening for them.

No trains this weekend. Tonight is my son’s first Boy Scout Troop meeting as a full pledged Boy Scout.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good morning.

It's 71 and partly cloudy (for a change). The high should be in the low 80's and there's a chance of thunderstorms later.

Didn't do much yesterday. I went back to bed after my morning post. Got up around noon, had a light lunch then went over and mowed my sister's yard. Two acres doesn't take all that long. After that I went to Wal-Mart to get a few things I needed, stopped at Burger King to get a couple of Whopper Jr's and some onion rings then came home. I spent much of the rest of the day transferring some movies from the DVR to videotape. Two reasons for that. #1 I want to keep as much memory space as I can available for railroad related stuff (which will also eventually be put on video tape) and #2 I don't want to lose everything if the the DVR should go belly up on me. That has been known to happen.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/27/2009

Wind Chill: 70°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 68°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 24mph NNE

Lake wind advisory in effect from 9 AM this morning to 6 pm cdt this evening.

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a 30 percent chance in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph in the evening decreasing to around 10 mph after midnight.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4270245.jpg
 


Good morning folks.

I had a hectic weekend with prom and the few weddings we had. We had one of the grooms not show up for the wedding! I felt bad for the bride. However, the wedding party was kind of a pain, so I was mad when we gave them most of their money back. They didn't wear the tuxedos, but they did rent them for the weekend. So who should lose money in this situation? I thought that we should give them half of their money, the owner thought differently. I got mad because the owner doesn't miss an opportunity to put the screws to some people, then gives others a pass. I say all or nothing. The flower shop certainly didn't give them their money back. Oh well, it's not my money, yet.

I have a long day returning tuxedos today, then I'm off tomorrow. I'm hoping to start painting the river bottom tomorrow. We'll see.

I hope you all have a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top