Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris YES!!!:D:D:D:D

Good Evening---now that I got paperwork done from work I also finished off PITA tax forms and e-filed the whole dang lot off----whew:eek::(

Now, I get to jam stuff into briefcase and my oversized backpack for trip to Woodstock for the Woodstock Turn convention and trainshow. All that is to be done between Heidi's kiln stuffings, antiqueing, yard sale huntings and fleamarkets----OY:eek::eek::D:D:D---then I get told I was scheduled to do a workshop for staff in Woodstock----"Hey, since you're there anyways----":confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

See y'all Monday!!!:p:D:D:D:eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
stationmaster, I LOVE the idea of a layout at the home.! brilliant. :)

ummmm......BOC, did you mention a KILN?????
does your wife do pottery??????

would she be interested in doing some raku?????? with horse hair???? I've been looking for someone who does raku, who is reasonably close by (London is about an hour from me) to do some commemorative pottery for me, with hair from horses no longer with us. (like Hemingway, for example.)

or would she know of anyone?
 
Good morning.

It's 60 and partly cloudy. The high today should be around 70 and there's a good possibility of rain.

With my father's help I got the old Peerless tractor running yesterday and drove right over to my sister's place and mowed her yard, front, back and sides. I'll likely be mowing my parents yard after the weekend if it's dry enough. After all that work I had dinner with the parents then came home and promptly crashed. I was worn out from all the days activity. I woke up around 7 pm and looked around online a bit, not much happening, shut the computer down and went back to bed and slept til 4:45 this morning. I hope to get some layout work done today, IF old man Murphy will stay out of my hair. With all the fun he's had with me lately I'm due a break. Got an appointment to go to this afternoon so the foot doc can look at my feet again. Can I get no privacy?

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/17/2009


Wind Chill: 57°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 54°F

So Far Today
High: 63°F
Low: 58°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph E

Today High: 70 Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...increasing to numerous showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 70. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Tonight Low: 65 Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall and damaging winds. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

P4150096.jpg
 


Mornin' all!

Another beautiful day in Indiana.........and my bike is STILL in the shop. Might just take the scooter for a ride instead. Or maybe I'll grab my pedal bike this evening.......yeah, thats what I'll do! It supposed to be sunny, with a high near 71. East southeast winds between 3 and 5 mph. In other words.......beautiful!

Had to do an emergency brake job last night. See, I'd found a backrest pad from a harley that my wife would like, and I found it locally for cheap. With that in mind, I asked the wife to pick me up after work so we could go look at it. My daughter gave me a ride to work yesterday, so I was without a vehicle. Anyways, the wife came and was waiting in the passenger seat when I walked out of work. I jumped in the van and before I left the parking lot I knew something was seriously wrong. I could tell by the sound and feel of the brakes that I'd thrown a pad. The backing plate was still there though. I swung by the local parts store up the street and picked up some cheapie pads (They're going to be toast anyways on a torn up rotor, so why buy the expensive ones, right?) and took it real easy to meet the backrest guy. I bought his backrest, and he also had a rear rack that I picked up. Got both for $125, which is a steal. So anyways, we limped on home and I popped the van up and my son and I dropped in new pads on the front in about 30 minutes. The one rotor was a bit chewed, but not bad. After this set of pads it'll be fine. The cool part was that I not only got to teach my son how to do disc brakes (I showed him drums last summer), but we had a great discussion on apologetics.

So, whats up with you all?

Prayers for all!

Later!
 
Good morning folks.

Not much new around here. I'm waiting for an opportunity to do some plaster work on the layout. Maybe tonight or Sunday, we'll see. My weekends tend to be dictated by the wife, not me. I wonder what she has in store for me?:)

Philip, there's nothing like driving around on sketchy brakes to make a person nervous. I'm glad you had your teachable moment.

I hope you all have a great day.
 
Good morning folks

It was 37 F as I rolled out of the driveway this morning. Our high today is supposed to be 70 F.

Yesterday was one of those days where there were no major crisis just little ones. It did keep hoping, however. I got a chance to read the forums but never had time to compose a response. So far today seems calmer. It is busy but not insane (yet).

I spent a good part of the evening going over my daughter’s application for the Engineering Team at her school. She had several essay questions that were technical in nature and I had to help her through some of it. I then had to look over my son’s book report. He did it on a book about the sinking of the Lusitania. I also worked some more on the Arrow of Light plaques.

Speaking on Cub Scouts our pack summer camping trip is in a state of chaos. We were going to camp at a local historic site. We scheduled the date and paid our deposit. Then the site told us due to some emergency construction work we had to reschedule. We did that. On Wednesday I got a notice that we had to reschedule our rescheduled date. None of the available dates work for us so we are now waiting to get our deposit back. I am now scrambling trying to find another camping location for our second date. I know several people scheduled vacation days from work for the trip and unless we camp they may have wasted them. I did find a couple of possibilities. I now need to find out if they are available.

I almost forgot; my son was selected to be a reporter for the newly created school newspaper. Today the staff is meeting with a real news reporter to discuss techniques.

Tonight is hair cut night for everyone after my son’s guitar lesson. Tomorrow we will be attending the Daughters of the American Revolution Awards Luncheon. My daughter won the essay contest for the second year in a row. Sunday will be grocery shopping and the opening of the lawn cutting season for me.

I am hoping that at some point to get to the backlog of weathering cars I need to do.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Chris - congrats on the weight loss!

Phillip - Glad you were able to resolve the brake issue. Too bad your bike is still in the shop during this beautiful weather, we're enjoying the same thing here in MD.

Bob - that layout in a nursing home is a great idea, good luck with it

BOC, have fun at the train show in Woodstock, maybe you'll run into LTF while you're there?

Jeff, you're working way tooo much!! :eek:

Corey, bummer about having to work inside while its so nice outside; but I suppose you gotta rack up the business now while it's available.

Haven't been on here much lately because I'm trying to finish up a model of a Rite-Aid drugstore for my business district, doesn't leave me much time for anything else. On top of that, the coming weekend is dominated by honie deux: De-winterizing my riding mower and cutting the already-too-tall grass on Saturday, then driving to Ohio and back on Sunday to pickup my 19yr-old daughter from college.

Have a good'un!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ken I know you've said what city in Ohio your daughter is but I fergits. My rememberer is not what it used to be. What were we talkin bout anyhoo.
 
No Coffee, Flo. Just stopped in to see the crowd.

All, got a doctor visit today. The yearly checkup and 'script renewal. Another $135 dollars for the office call plus lab fees for him to tell me I'm gettin' old. I already know that.

We had company last night. 23 residents and their 3 chaperons from the nursing home came by for about 4 hours. Played with trains and played with the dogs. We ended up having a cookout on the grill. They all finally left about 8:30. I got to talk to the VP of operations for the company that owns the nursing home. He's a big train guy, although he says his layout pales compared to the one we have set up. He should see it when the WHOLE thing is up!!

He is going to help with the construction. Says he wants to learn how to build a more intricate layout. We'll probably just confuse him.

Anyway, time to get ready for the needles and "finger probe". Lord, I hate that!!!!

By the way, Phil, it IS gorgeous in Hoosierland today, isn't it? Been waiting for the "weather gods" to smile on us for some time now.

I just might go fishin'(I heard the crappie are bitin' and the walleye are stacked up below the dam) and ponder on tomorrow's "Build Fest". Six module tables are almost complete, I need to attach the legs, yet. I should work some more on the boats, but......
 


Afternoon, everyone.

Chris, sounds like your diet is working. Stay with it.

BOC, I hope you had a great weekend at Woodstock.

Jeffrey, you need to take things a little easier. Hope everything is OK with the foot doc. There's a nasty looking line of storms heading your direction so keep an eye on the sky.

Phillip, brake pads and apologetics? An unusual combination, to say the least. I wonder if CS Lewis ever changed a brake pad? :)

Corey, I suspect most of our weekends are dictated by our spouse in one way or another. You just have to find ways to sneak away when she isn't looking. :G

Tom, that's too bad about all the rescheduling for the camp out. I remember that happening to me when I was a Boy Scout leader. I guess there's only so much time they have for construction and repairs and you know how schedules go.

Ken, that's a killer drive to make in one day. I'm getting too old for that kind of windshield time any more. Stay safe.

SM, that's real nice that you hosted the nursing home residents. Sounds like management is on board for a layout so that should help with your plans. I'll bet those folks really appreciated the chance for an outing. I hate those yearly checkups too, especially since I don't think they'd ever really find anything that was wrong and fixable too. I guess it's just one of those things we do because we should.

It's a sunny but breezy day here. Spent most of the day at the hospital with Dianna's mother. She had a pretty serious infection in her jaw, at the site of her oral cancer that developed five years ago. The whole family was thinking the worst, of course, but oral cancers rarely reoccur at the primary site. She had radiation at the cancer site which caused a lot of bone damage and it's a natural site for bacteria to attack. She's been on industrial strength antibiotics and it seems to be bringing the infection under control. No model railroading for me over the last several days. Looks like another round of storms for us Sunday after Jeffrey gets whacked. Hopefully the storms will do their usual swoon by the time it gets here.
 
Jeffrey, you need to take things a little easier. Hope everything is OK with the foot doc. There's a nasty looking line of storms heading your direction so keep an eye on the sky.
The visit with the foot doctor went well. The sores have closed up a little more which is good. One point of concern is that there's a little heat in the right foot. We're gonna watch that real close. It could be an infection lurking or it could just be the Charco condition acting up again. I beat the storms home by 20 minutes so I had time to pick up my laundry from my parents place and get the mail before the rain started.A couple of really nasty storms blew through within an hour, one was intense enough it blacked out my satellite dish for a whole 10 seconds.
 
Got a bit of time. Coffee here, Miss Flo.

Well, all went well at the Doc's. Must be gettin' healthier. She(she's a cutie too) dropped one of my 'scripts. The most expensive one at that. A1C was high, but I knew that was coming. All was good except the BP was a tad high and my "good" cholesterol was low. She said to eat more fish or take some fish oil tablets. Can do. I got a reprieve on the "finger probe". Thankfully.

Looks like the fishin' expedition will have to wait until Sunday. I'd hope to wet some line today, but the Conductor has other plans for me. I have about 10 guys showing up tomorrow to work on modules for the nursing home. I guess a couple of the residents want to join in the "male bonding" exercise. Why not? Should be fun and a chance for everyone to exchange ideas and BS each other.

I dug out my ol' 52-cup coffee maker so we should be in good supply there,(no offense, Flo.) I just hope that the workshop can accommodate the numbers. Some of us may have to work outside on the lawn. It's supposed to be another great day, weatherwise, I won't mind working on my tan. I'll just break out the Hawaiian Tropic. Hopefully we can break up into pairs for each module. One of the guys is bringing prints of the layout that he and I worked out a few days ago. There's a lot of track to lay for the size of the layout.

The fellas(and gals) at the home have decided on a '40's-'50's theme for the layout. That is GOOD. If needed, I have PLENTY of stock for that. And all of those that have contributed have sent cars and an engine that would be compatible. Still haven't decided on the road, although the one engine donated is a NYC F-unit. So I guess we have one road established if they wish to have multiple roadnames. An interchange area would be nice.

Thanks for the coffee, Flo. Momma says supper is ready and the tapeworms are getting restless.

Bob
 
Evening Gents!:)


Fun Park's and Rec. Story,

I spent the morning Raking and Chalking the fields getting them ready for games tonight. I got done with the fields at 12:00....Then I took lunch, 15 min. into my lunch a person walking the trail came to the office to inform me 3 young men got out of a black SUV ran onto field#2 and stole homebase!:eek::mad: They stole HOME:eek::mad: Well i stoped eating and went out to #2 field.....They riped the plate right of the concrete ancor. I spent 2 hours replacing that base:mad:! I was lucky they didn't rip the concrete ancor the base was in or it would have taken 4 hours to reline the plate:mad: The whole field is set according to the apex of the home, so if the plate is not square the whole field can get messed up fast!

any who how, My lunch was delayed 2 hours:mad: Not a fun day!:rolleyes:

I'm thinking it was a collage prank from the gang at St. Leo Univ. down the road:rolleyes: Either way this isn't the first prank we ever had but a first of anyone REALLY STEALING HOME!LOL's
 
Been trying to hold onto my hilltop here. This storm has been pretty ugly so far. As you can see in map #1 we've got some serious stuff headed our way. Map #2 shows my position. X marks the spot!

radar0.jpg


radar02.jpg
 
If you guys down south could send that rain this way, we'd appreciate it. At this rate, there will be no May flowers!:)

We had a super busy day at work. Last minute prom shoppers have moved our numbers within sight of last year. I have to admit, we were getting worried.

News Flash!: I started spreading sculptamold over my river valley. I initially did a small portion as a test. Then I realized that it would come out exactly how I wanted it to. Well, the plastering is ON! I was racing against the clock because my wife and I are going over to the in laws to have a few much deserved beers in this beautiful weather. She just got home and I managed to plaster a third of the whole section. I was mixing small batches at a time so I could quit when she got home. I can't wait for this stuff to dry!

Jim, you are right. I snuck some modeling in when I thought it not possible.

Have a great weekend!:D
 
Evening Gang!

Bob, "finger probe fear??" Ya big chicken! :p I shouldn't talk. My old GP wasn't too bad (if these can be good?) he was a little Philipeno guy with small hands...My new doc has hands that could have played football.....dread is an understatement!!:eek:

Jeff, Batten down the hatches!! And if the storm makes a mess outside, don't run out and fix it. Wait til the foots heal!

Chris, stealing home,,,,stake out the field, they may come back for the other three! Congrats on the weight loss. As someone who went from 285 down to 190 in a year, I know how hard it can be. (oops,,, I'm back to 210!)
Life hint for all you youngins......don't marry a girl who can cook, it makes weight loss sooooooo much harder!!!
SHM Sounds like you are having fun with your "stolen moments" Howabout some pics of the progress??

Philip Teach the young man cars (no matter what the topic of discussion) and it may save you a late night "hey Dad, the car ................" phone call! Heck, even daughters should be taught the basics.

Ken, be safe on the road there buddy.

I am going to retire for the evening now. After cutting the lower 15 feet out of 15 tall pine trees lining my yard, I'm bushed!! My hands still feel the vibration of the chain saw!! I've got a pile of stuff to chip the size of my garage. Had to use my neighbors front end loader to pile it all up! Industrial size chipper coming next weekend! Anybody need some pine mulch???
New kitty comes tomorrow!! I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow!
 
Karl, sounds like you've been a busy guy. Anyone who can cut enough lumber to require a front end loader is a better man than me.

Jeffrey, hope you stayed in the green stuff and not the red stuff. :eek:. I've heard reports of six inches of rain or more so I imagine the creeks and rivers are going to be in flood. Take Karl's advice about not rushing out to clean up anything that fell down. I'm glad things went reasonably well with your foot.

Corey, there's always a way to sneak in a half hour here and there. "Honey, I need to go down to the basement and get...a stepladder, that's it." :) You have up to a half hour before she notices you haven't returned with the ladder so work fast or she'll be on the cell phone. Do that a couple of times a day during the weekend and you can get some serious modeling in.

Chris, what did those guys have, a pry bar or what? Seems like it would be awful hard to get home base out of a concrete anchor. I've got just the thing for you though. A pepper spray grenade! You bury it down below the base with the trip wire attached to pin. You make the wire just long enough you can pull the base up without setting it off but anyone trying to yank out the base will get a face full of pepper spray. Non-lethal and perfectly legal..probably. :eek:

1040_lg.jpg


Bob, all the evidence is that fish oil capsules do nothing to raise good cholesterol. If your good/bad cholesterol keeps getting worse, getting on something like Lipitor is much more effective. Most high cholesterol is hereditary and diet has very little effect. Sounds like a good time will be had by all working on the modules. Those fish will still be there waiting for you. I've got a powered and dummy BB SP SD-9 units I might be persuaded to part with if you really want to go nationwide. :D

Spent most of the day at the hospital again. I found out it's a tradition down here that, when your momma's sick, you spend the day with her even if you're not needed. Probably not a bad idea since she's 80 and who knows how long she will be with us. OTOH, I've spent a large part of the last six years in hospitals nursing a dying wife, father, and mother, and being in hospitals really depresses me. I think some other family members are going to have to take over tomorrow so I can get a day to myself again. I think she will get released on Sunday and she is much improved.

It looks like we got a shot at the storms hitting Jeffrey late tomorrow and Sunday. If everything comes together, we are in for a rough ride. If things don't, it will be a non-event. It's hard to tell until the storms are almost on top of you. Staying on top of the weather is almost a full-time job down here.
 


Jim, sorry to hear about Mom. I lost mine the day after my birthday in '98. She had a good last day, and went peacefully in her sleep. The better half and I had planned to come down and visit her that day to celebrate my B-day. Got a call about 4am, so it never happened.

Angela's Dad died last March. We spent months, literally at the hospital the last year he was alive. He had open heart surgery and came through with flying colors, only to have MRSA take him. Bad deal.

All of my "bad" tests showed GOOD except for the BP, a little high, and the good cholesterol, A1C was high but I expected that. Winter and being more sedentary always drives it up.

Karl, I am a bit particular what goes into my body......especially from that end. Stuff is supposed to leave the body through that orifice not enter. But my doctor is a cute little lass. Small hands too.......I looked.

Jeffrey, close the doors and windows, turn on the radio and hold on tight!!!! Hopefully the stuff tracks east of us up here in Hoosierdom. I'm still recuperating from the last big blow. Was repairing the roof and fell off. The fall wasn't bad. The stop at the bottom took my wind.

Chris, Baseball was my game.....football my love and passion. Played minor league ball a couple of years in the Reds organization. I saw that I was never going to beat out Joe Morgan so I quit. Too small back then to play pro football. I would have been really good if I'd weighed what I weigh now. The extra 15# would have made a BIG difference.

Well, all, back has been giving me fits all day(and night). I think I'll try and get back in bed and count some sheep.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top