Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCF0690.png


little guy arrived about 7:00 pm. he's fine, moms fine, we're all fine. :D :D :D
 


He's a cute lil' critter, LT - you must be quite proud! :D (Can you still go to the train show?)

Corey, I can relate about wanting to get a project done quickly: I've botched the paint job on my MR3, ink from the permanent marker that I used to trace the cutting lines, keeps seeping thru the paint (I started a separate thread about this BTW)

CJ, congrats on becoming a grandad!

Q: Why am I up so late? I'm outta here...
 
LTF. Cute! Congrats, does he have a name yet??

Jeff, Behold the power of Google Search!!!! LOL!!:D

Ken Might I suggest a light spray of polyurethane as a sealer. I can relate to the late night thing. Just put 5 hours into the Psycho house kit, I'd do more but everything is too tacky for touch up right now. I'll probably finish it tomorrow night.:cool: After I get it planted I'll post pics!
BTW, Got the new addition wired up yet????;)
 
LTF, what a beautiful little colt. I'm sure yu and momma must be very proud. :)

Jeffrey, I would argue that that Lincoln's death had far more long term implications for this country than the sinking of the Titanic.

BOC, sounds like a nice little haul. Are the Heislers HO or O?
 
Good morning from Ye Olde London Towne. Its going to be a damp drizzle day with a high of only 13c. (56f)

I get to spend the day working from home while the gas meter is replaced. On the modelling front I've been painting rocks with liquid latex to make some moulds for the test shelf.

LTF: Congrats. Does that make you a grandpa? What a nice pic. Thanks for sharing that.

Have a good day all. Flo, just a 4 shot skim latte please.
 
it makes me an AUNT! :D

no name yet, but I'm sure he'll find one soon.

and YES! train show on Sunday!

ONLY 13C??? over here, we're ecstatic with 13C!!! although today they say 14 or 15. maybe even 16c??? I sure hope so, I have a ton of outside work to do.
 
Good morning.

It's 57 and cloudy. The high will be in the upper 70's and it will be partly cloudy with a small chance of rain tonight.

Ended up doing some yard work yesterday but knocked off after two trailer loads. No sense in overdoing it. My father wants the work done (being as it's in my yard) and I told him it will get done, but at my pace, not his! In other news, I'm looking for junk pieces of G Scale equipment. It doesn't have to be operational, just look halfway descent. I'm planning another outdoor static display. I'm in need of a locomotive (steam or diesel) non-op preferred as I can't afford to pay much, two freight cars (any type), and a caboose or small combine/baggage car. I don't care if the stuff falls apart when it's breathed on so long as it looks halfway descent. After all, it's not going to move, just sit in one place. Those interested in helping me with this can contact me by PM. More layout cleanup work today, hopefully. I still have some tools and materials to sort out then I'll be ready to place some structures in their final positions with lighting in some. Getting under the layout to come up through the access holes is the fun part.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/16/2009


Wind Chill: 56°F
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 50°F

So Far Today
High: 58°F
Low: 55°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 75 Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows in the upper 50s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4140085.jpg
 


The temperature is 7C with the high going to 16C today---and Sunny!! Break out the ol' sunblock!!:):)

LTF I'm already out'n the back yard--:D:D:D:p Was out in the thing cleaning the thing of all the dang branches and trees that fell down/cut up and all that stuff. Dethatching flower gardens--cleaning/and now repainting back deck---doing this/that/n'ever't'in else:););)

Jim N scale heislers--I'm trying to find out whether these things were scratchbuilt---there was NO labelling ANYWHERE:confused::confused::confused:--and my cameras macro is out right now---GGRRRRR:mad:--BTW there is a O scale scratchbuilt boxcab that I picked up as well in the stuff:)--that I was thinking of eventually using at the local club as they are O scale---it is in working order when checked at FLHS---they have the layout to test on

Got phonecall from guy at LHS---seems that the fellow he got box from did do a fair bit of scratchbuilt lokes. The guy must've been something of a masterbuilder---the detail is high grade---and the dang things work really well. I'm running them around the tracks now---'Spring' is watching them like a hawk--:eek::eek:--more 'Spring's' expression right now:p:D:D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone.

We are looking at a high around seventy today!:D A great day to be stuck at work until eight.:( Oh well, we keep the doors open at the store this time of year. It's nice out without all of the bugs flying around.

The spirit did not move me last night to model. I did receive a four pound bag of sculptamold in the mail. I'm hoping to use it in my scenery to add a little more relief and fill in the plaster holes. This may be a wrong use, but I'm going to do it anyway! I just have to get the time to make a big mess.

I'm off to work to write up the last of Prom orders for next weekend.

I hope you all have a great day!
 
Jim N scale heislers--I'm trying to find out whether these things were scratchbuilt---there was NO labelling ANYWHERE:confused::confused::confused:--and my cameras macro is out right now---GGRRRRR:mad:--

I've seen a few scratchbuilt Heislers in N, some pretty well done. They usually seem to use a highly modified Kato mechanism (# 11-105, 11-106, 11-107). I know that Randgust was goofing with one at one time, but he never offered it as a kit to my knowledge. Also, I think Aspen Models offered a kit a couple of years ago, but it was rather pricey, though it appeared well done. I think it used a Marklin Z scale mechanism. Other then that, I've not a clue. Spookshow's N scale encyclopedia doesn't list any commercially available plastic or brass Heislers ever having been made, and he's pretty up on top of things usually. I'd think that something like this would get his attention.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My father and I got the drive problem with the old tractor (60" Peerless) fixed this morning with just a couple of hours of work, busting knuckles, swearing and generally having a good time about it. The problem was a drive belt between the tranny and the differential. Crazy setup on that thing but I can see why due to the design. There's simply no way to run a shaft all the way back there and it's also a great way to keep some knucklehead (like me) from overloading it, as the belt would slip and probably burn off. You would not believe the number of things that had to be taken off to get that old belt out and the new one in. Simply incredible. You can rest assured that Murphy was in attendance and lending his unwanted assistance every step of the way. I've changed the clutch on this thing before and given the two I would opt to replace the clutch rather than that belt. On the flip side I now know exactly how to do it now. Once that job was finished I drove it across the road and mowed my sisters yard, front, back and sides. It was amazing how fast the front yards cleared of dogs when that thing lumbered through the gate. They don't like the noise the mower deck makes. Kinda sounds like an EMD turbo charger with bearing problems. Haven't gotten any assistance yet in my search for junk pieces for a G Scale train to have on permanent static display in the front yard. I'm thinking about just tossing the entire project into file 13 and moving on to something else.
 
Good afternoon, all. Coffee here, Flo. None of the new stuff The "Colombian Special" is just fine for me.

I did my weekly duty at the food bank today. I donate 20 hours a week there. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I haven't been doing as much lately, since I broke my wrist in December. Need to get it back in shape for fishin'.

Gorgeous day today. I took advantage to work on my boats. Gotta get them ready for the summer's festivities. I finished waxing the 32-foot Carver. I'll be rubbing in circles while I sleep. One BIG boat! The buffer made the "taking off" part really easy.

The "knocker", a 14-foot aluminum fishing boat is now ready for paint. Installed the new fish finder. The new seats are ready as soon as I get some 75 degree weather to paint the thing.

I've been restoring a 1985 Marathon 21-foot cabin cruiser. It will be my "trailer" boat. I'll take it to lakes not accessible with the Carver and too big for the "knocker".

I also have a NEW project. There is a nursing home nearby. There are quite a few retired railroaders that are residents. We take our dogs, two Boston Terriers and a Weimy, for weekly visits. I got to talking to three of the old RR guys a few months ago. I invited them to spend an afternoon to check out and run my trains. They LOVED it!! The word got out and it has become a regular thing with about 8 of them coming over every couple of weeks.

I am moving in a couple of months. When I leave, of course, my layout is going with me. I got with the director and suggested building a layout at the home. I got his OK, but the cost of construction would have to be mine. Fortunately, I have some fellas that are willing to donate some labor, my FHS(favorite hobby shop) is donating some things, one buddy is donating his old Prodigy DCC system, I've got the rolling stock and few engines. Another friend, from another forum is donating some structures. Anothe gentleman, from Fort Wayne, donated $100. If any feel like they would want to join in, give my a tug on my rope. Anything will be appreciated.

I was going to use an ag theme, but will be determined when I get a better feel for what is going to be donated. The home has given me a 16x24 room. I was thinking of a C-, U- or J-shaped layout with mainline with sidings, industrial switching and a small 6-track yard. Something simple yet "busy". We''ll see what comes about.

Well, the better half says supper is ready. Time to feed my tape worm.

Bob
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top