Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
the only dog that ever came after me, was a pit bull. three of them, actually.

they were in a fenced yard. the one with the telephone pole in it. That I had to work on.

luckily, the pole was close enough to the fence that I was able to put my ladder up from the other side of the fence. But still, 6' fence, and as I got to the top of it, the dogs were bouncing up and one of them got hold of the toe of my work boot. left some nice tooth marks, but I was able to shake him off and continue to the top.

got the job done, but made a note that there were dogs in the yard. at least they were properly fenced, the owner was doing the right thing, but who expects a phone guy/person?

ah, those were the days.

back when I was gainfully employed.

it was a nice job in the summer. :)
 
Good morning.

It's 48 and clear. The high will be in the mid 70's and it will be partly cloudy. That'll give us some cover from that giant yellow orb at least.

I've got most of the junk off the layout at this point. Still a few tools and some odds and ends scattered about. There's still a few structures to place as well. This includes the new town hall. It's a good sized squarish structure so somewhere on the backside of the layout would seem in order. Went outside yesterday to do some work in the yard, picking up stuff and putting it in a trailer mostly and almost instantly regretted it. After moving three loads to the burn pile I felt like I was on fire from the back of my neck to to the backs of my knees. I called it quits at that point and had to withhold an urge to kick myself as it would have hurt too much to bring my foot up that high. Instead I came in and relaxed for awhile. Yard work is NOT on the schedule for today. Maybe some nice relaxing layout work.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/15/2009


Wind Chill: 47°F
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 45°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 47°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

Today High: 75 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 50 Mostly clear. Lows around 50. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4150092.jpg
 
Well, again I been out on the periphery reading, and replying to a few posts here and there.

Gonna be a heading back to Little Rock this weekend to see daughter. We got some news about daughter, she's making us Grandparents, around Thanksgiving! Don't know who is more excited, her or her Momma!

Just Remember:

Teenagers are God's punishment for what we did to our parents!

But:

Grandkids are God's reward for allowing teenagers to live to adulthood!​
 


Good Morning--We're getting some sun today and highs of 14C. We did get a little dribble of rain last night so the ground be a wee bit dampish. :eek::eek::)

Got some clients to see today so I get to go to FLHS and see what can be dug up for rolling stock---they gave me heads up on some boxes they got from a train collector---surplus--it's called. HHMMM:confused::):):)

Have a good'un:):):D
 
Good morning folks.

Carey, congratulations on the upcoming grand baby!

I was stuck at home with no car yesterday due to a possible transmission problem. Of course, the mechanics couldn't get it to act up, but that's another story. Being stuck home, I figured I would tackle a major project. I've gotten to the point where I'm sick of carving blue foam in my river valley. I decided to cover it with WS plaster cloth. I know I could have just painted the foam, but I had too many seams to make it look good. It also smoothed out the river bottom, which was my primary concern. I will use some sort of ground goop to reintroduce texture to the hillsides. I can't tell you how exciting it is to feel like I moved on to the next step! Now I have to align the pier bases, piers, deck girder, two ends of the trestle and track! Should be a piece of cake. I have a short day at work(short meaning eight hours), and the wife is gone again tonight. Hopefully the spirit moves me to continue my efforts.

I hope you all have a great day!
 
Good morning folks

It was another dreary morning as I rolled out onto the roadways with a temperature of 43 F. High will be 51 F with showers.

Last night was spent doing state taxes. I am still not done since my wife works out of state I have to file in two states and of course there is no easy way to do it. I also attend the Cub Scout Roundtable meeting last night.

Tonight we have Cub Scout Den Meetings. I still have the state taxes to finish and a couple of reports to critique for the kids’ school.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Corey, sounds like you're desperate to see some scenery go in. I can remember when I was at that point on my current layout. I was so sick of looking at white foam that if I had to look at it for one more day I would go screaming mad. Putting down the drywall mud was somewhat messy but it was a great relief to have something new to look at. It took about a week for the mud to dry then I coated it with plaster to fill in the cracks that developed as the mud dried. It's been a long hard slog but it was worth every second.
 
Jeffrey, you are correct! I've been staring at this valley for far too long. At the rate I'm going, I'll have a blue layout forever. We are in Blue Earth county, but this is certainly the wrong shade of blue!:) Now I need to decide on which version of 'ground goop' I want to use. I hope I don't think about it too long!;)
 


The clerk at my LHS is pretty knowledgeable, but I've come across some that didn't know the difference between between an SD40 and a K4.
 
Carey,

Congrats on the grandbaby news!!

If I may, once the little one gets to be at least 2-3 years old. stock up on M&M's and soda. DON'T give it to them when they come over to visit!
Wait til they are about to go home!!!!;)

It's one of the little pleasures that we Grandparents enjoy!:D
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Congrats on the news, CJ. Time to learn Karl's rules of grand parenting. :) Getting them good and hyped up on sugar before they go home pays back momma for some of the grief she gave you as a teenager.

Corey, I know what you mean about looking out over vast expanses of nothingness on a layout. I've found that spending a half hour or so a day worked out better for me than marathon sessions of scenicing. Once you get started, you just want to get done, which, for me, led to some pretty substandard work. Taking it in small bites allows me to concentrate on just a portion of the total.

LTF, I don't know why big dogs never gave me any trouble. Maybe they can recognize a badge and gun as signs of trouble. Those little yappy dogs were the only ones I ever really had to fight off.

Jeffrey, it's my theory that junk that falls from other plant material into the yard, when left alone long enough, will become fertilizer. :D

BOC, I hope you find some good stuff in those boxes.

I wonder if anyone has trademarked the name "Ground Goop" yet?

I hope you all had fun with your taxes. I know I did. :mad: I saw an article on-line that said the US tax code is now up to 64,000 pages. :eek: No wonder no one really knows what they are doing when they fill out a tax return. I used TurboTax so I intend to use the Tiny Tim defense if I get audited. :rolleyes:. It's a sunny and pleasant day with no storms on the horizon here in the Heart of Dixie. It's been a long time since I've been able to write that.
 
ground goop.

so, when I finally get to that stage, if I go to the train store, and ask for it, they'll know what I'm talking about?

shnork.

See if this helps LTF:
Lou Sassi's recipe ("from:Basic Scenery") is 1C Celluclay, 1C Permascene, 1C latex paint, 1/3C white glue, 1 capful Lysol and water to bring it to "peanut butter" consistency. Use an extra cup of Celluclay to replace the unavailable Permascene. Also, add some vermiculite if you want it a bit lumpy.
Looks very good, but somewhat on the expensive side for large areas.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
On this date in history there was a particular event that was so significant it's effects are still felt today. Anybody know what it was?
 
Two things, depending on what you mean. Lincoln died after he was shot in Ford's Theater. Jackie Robinson also became the first African-American to play in major league baseball. Both events have effects still being felt today although, probably most importantly, Lincoln not being at the helm had disastrous long term effects for the former Confederate States.
 
An interesting day today. Get the clients settled into new routine with new people and then go to office --find a little card from a former client. She found a photo of an old Aultmann-Taylor "40-80" steam traction engine a buddy of mine is in the midst of restoring. She's sending me a mitt full of 'em.

Went to the FLHS and discovered a couple of N scale Heislers--OK, so they're somewhat out of sorts with the rest of my roster but one of the 'clients' on our shortline RR just 'happened to be opening up a rail museum' right on schedule for me to find something!! Heeheehee:):):):rolleyes::rolleyes: That and a bunch of scratchbuilding mat'l and three building module kit thingees:rolleyes::rolleyes::)---all in all--a good day for this hunter/gatherer:eek::p:p:D-------BTW--just checked heislers out--work real fine:D:D:D:p

Watched, for a bit before I left for work, some kids down by the HS playing Basketball and had to laugh---we have so many dang gulls flapping around now the kids have started to use the gulls for target practice---do you think the gulls would sort of move somewhere else?:confused::confused:---not these ones:eek:--they keep getting hit:cool:--stagger 'round --fly away:rolleyes:---only to come back for more:cool::cool::confused: Sheeesh:rolleyes:
 
Two things, depending on what you mean. Lincoln died after he was shot in Ford's Theater. Jackie Robinson also became the first African-American to play in major league baseball. Both events have effects still being felt today although, probably most importantly, Lincoln not being at the helm had disastrous long term effects for the former Confederate States.
Good try but none of those are the particular event I'm looking for.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top