Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, Got another day in the bucket:rolleyes: I heard that the state is cutting all State employees pay by 5%:eek::mad: I'm sure when my wife gets home she will be like a kicked hornets nest! Haven't heard if it will effect me too? Just will have to wait and see. Federal Government is growing nice and fat I see and the little red headed stepchild (local Government) is getting kicked to the curb:mad::mad: I think all in Federal Government should lead by example and cut there pay by 5% too. Enough with the drama, on what's up.

HAPPY What ever day, I'm not in to the Irish thing this year:( with all that's going on it's hard to party down with green beer:(

Larry Glad to here your vacation in Ill. went well I was ther in 92' I got a tour of proviso yard:) I got some great photo's. Ahhhhh, memories:rolleyes:
 
Chris, the difference in the Federal government and your Local is they have a printing press to make their money at will and your local doesn't.
 


Chris, the difference in the Federal government and your Local is they have a printing press to make their money at will and your local doesn't.

LOL's:D My anger issue has been disfussed. My son and I went for a hour long bicycle ride.:)
 
...
Nice clear skies not after getting 3.75 inches of rain in the past three days. I'm looking forward to a few days of sun and real Alabama spring weather.

Jim;
Sent you an E-mail.
And yes, aren't Alabama springs goregous?

What's up yall?

Met a nice young man from Montgomery today, while at the hobby shop here. While we were talking, he gave us some good and bad news.

Good news was the local club for that area is trying to get back up to speed as a viable group. Their membership had dropped over the past few years, and to tell the truth, I thought that it was dead. Nice to see they are trying to get active again. Next to the Redstone Arsenal Group in Huntsville, this club is the oldest in the state. I remember as a 16yo kid going over there to the shop next to the club house, and seeing the first bit of benchwork being put in. That was a long time ago.

Edit: Sorry. This is a brand new group. The group I was remembering is/was the Central Alabama Model Railroad Club. Apparently they must be defunct. They used to have a web site but it is gone as well!

Bad news is the City of Montgomery is tearing down the old Atlanta & West Point shops. They were bought by the city to restore and preserve as a historical site, but they have starting tearing it down instead of saving it. There just wasn't any local support for it I suppose.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone.

I'm exactly half English and half Irish so I guess I get celebrate for half the day. Somehow, green beer just doesn't sound that good even if it's now politically correct. :)

I sure am glad to see some of you younger guys getting out of debt. Saving as much of your income as possible is the best thing you can do. Assuming the market recovers, which it will, investing now at fire sale prices will net you some nice profits in ten years. Even if you just buy index funds, you'll make out way better than other folks your age. My goal at age 30 was to retire at age 55. I missed it by one year but I'm now able to live the life I want instead of being a slave to some job I hate.

BOC, I wouldn't even attempt to install a new door and frame. I know I'd get it all screwed up and then have to call a carpenter, who would laugh at me. Some things are better left to people with more talent than me.

Cory, I actually keep a box of band-aids at the layout. I cut myself when there's anything sharp around. Thankfully, the blood tend to blend into brick streets pretty good. :D

Jeffrey, I saw that loading dock. Is the boxcar part of the dock or just sitting there on a siding?

Dan, nice thing you're doing to help the folks who have a little too much holiday cheer. Anything we can do to keep drunk drivers off the street makes things safer for all of us.

Chris, sorry to hear you wife took a pay cut. It would be nice if everyone shared in the pain but life's not fair. :( At least the states still have some political clout left. I think cities and counties will get whatever crumbs are left over. As Rex said, the Feds can keep creating money while the states have to figure out how to steal more than AIG or Bernie Madoff. I guess the bright side is that both of you still have jobs, something that about 10% of the people in the US can't say right now.

Beautiful day here in the Southland. Not a cloud in the sky, a high of 76, and a nice, gentle breeze. I wish I could freeze dry today and bring it back in August. ;) Got all my pine straw and started laying down all the landscape cloth. I don't know why but I like landscaping in 1:87 scale but hate it in 1:1 scale. I just hope this stuff works to keep the weeds down since weeding is even worse than landscaping.
 
Jeffrey, I saw that loading dock. Is the boxcar part of the dock or just sitting there on a siding?
The loading dock is from AHM and looks to be from the 60's or 70's. It had tabs (which I cut off) that probably fit into a base of some kind. The box car is an Athearn grain car I picked up from a John Deere set a few years ago.
 
'ello pipples

I just finished an all day stint doing the cleaning up of billions of branch bits, twigs, leaves, assorted things with untold histories and/or shapes:eek::eek: and what all else. The garage is back to being a mess after I got rid of door/frame and replaced said with brand new door and frame. Out from basement came stuff that has been buried in archeological layers --yeah unto eons:eek::eek:--most of it seemingly unidentifiable:eek::rolleyes:--and we now will need to do the attic--ohno ohno--:eek::eek::)

Tomorrow I get to go to work and see 3 clients---yeah--some scheckles will come my way!!-----------yeah right--after taxman gets most---:eek::eek::mad:--get off soapbox---:rolleyes:

Chris a 5% cut? :eek:Are the wise ones at the top doing the same there?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim We got to 17C here--I ended up wearing shorts what with all the grunt work around here:eek:---Oh and we now have 8 Crocuses up out front with the last snowdrops:):D. I went into a meadow garden/cottage garden look in our front--we gave up after we had 3 years of fighting all the weeds--now we have no weeds because all the other plants and flowers and all else choke the weed buggers out!:D:D

Carey bought by the city to restore and etc--usually I don't trust them to do those--probs getting some cash from a developer for condos---:mad::confused:
 
Jeffrey, that loading ramp came from an old Rico station kit. I remember it well, haing built several of them. I'd hit it with some dullcote since that plastic was always really shiny for some reason.

Chris, I use Roundup but I sometime get it on the good plants and kill them too. I'm much better at aiming a gun than I am aiming a Roundup nozzle. :confused:

CJ, that sucks that they are tearing down the old A&WP shops. I've seen the shop buildings and they are really in bad structural condition. I suspect that the city engineer told them to demolish them if they didn't have a plan and money to rehab them. Unfortunately, this is not a good time to be going to anyone for a handout...unless you're AIG. :mad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Jeffrey, that loading ramp came from an old Rico station kit. I remember it well, haing built several of them. I'd hit it with some dullcote since that plastic was always really shiny for some reason.
Rico? Did they use AHM parts? It has AHM molded in the bottom of it.

Been doing a little work on the layout today. Got a couple of trackside shacks put together and pieced together an old two stall brick engine house. Now I have to find new places for the fire station and the O.L. King and Sons building.
 
Evenin folks!
Chris, I'm with you! Roundup is the only way to go! Anything to keep the yard work down. :D

I spent my St Paddy's day doing yard work anyway. Ist went aroung and picked up a couple of wheelbarrows worth of sticks and other organic junk like pine cones and Magnolia seed "hand grenades". Then loaded the wheelbarrow twice with dirt and mulch mix from the mulch pile. The Mrs has an old whisky barrel cut in half as 2 planters. She wanted to go to Home Creepo and buy dirt. "Why?" I said, "we got a yard full of it!" Then came the fun part. 4 hours of feeding a chipper/shredder last summers cuttings of pine,magnolia,forcythia,ash and maple! And I'm only half done!!!:eek: I'll be back on that tomorrow.:(

Corey, I got 4 words for you! Hot Wire Foam Tool. I can't imagine life without mine now! I still keep bandaids at the workbench, for the occasional Exacto knife uh-ohs!

Well, the Motrin is starting to kick in,,,,,,,see ya all tomorrow!:)
 
Jeffrey, it's Rico as in the name of the town in Colorado, not Rico the company. The back of the station had the loading platform with the ramp. Here's a picture:

ba8f_1.JPG


Karl, I really need a Chipper/Shredder. I have to drag all the cuttings back to the woods and it's getting harder and harder find clear spots to dump them. I like the idea of making my own mulch with the debris. It's just awfully hard to justify spending at least a grand on one of those now.
 
Chris, I use Roundup but I sometime get it on the good plants and kill them too. I'm much better at aiming a gun than I am aiming a Roundup nozzle. :confused:

I got a trick for that! Do you have a pump sprayer? Do you have a clean empty1 pint or a 2 litter soda bottle(Clear)? then you have the stuff to make a over spray protector thingy!:D when I get home tonight I will show ya how to make one! It is an old trick:D
 
Evenin folks!
Chris, I'm with you! Roundup is the only way to go! Anything to keep the yard work down. :D


God created Man and weeds...........


The makers of Round Up made us look smarter!:D


Speaking of Chippers, you should see the beast I get to run at work, holy crap! It's a brush bandit, but I call it one way ticket! They haven't tought me how to work the tub grinder yet! that looks fun..............................I like big chipers gets the blood flowing!

Your pre-treating your mulch for Termites right? Mulch is nice but it like ringing a dinner bell for termites!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
'ello pipples


Chris a 5% cut? :eek:Are the wise ones at the top doing the same there?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Local news ain't saying much and the word hasn't got to my wife's work yet, but from what I heard, she is going to get to vote like I did on how they should take the 5% out of your pay:rolleyes: then the wise ones will tally up the poll and go from there! Our vote was tallied at work, #1 was 3% pay cut, #2 was 4/9hr. days and #3 was 5/7hr. shifts......! The libaries are going 4/9's:confused: I thought the winner was 3% pay cut:confused: That's a monkey crap fight fer ya!:rolleyes: anything can happen:mad:
 
Good morning folks

It was 38 F as I hit the pavement. High will be 62 F. I ran in and out of fog banks the whole way in this morning. It made the commute a little more interesting than normal but uneventful.

Since we had such a nice day we did some yard work. We got all the leaves from around the bushes and shrubs in the back yard. My son’s parent-teacher conference went very well. We knew it would be good but it turned out better than we expected.

I helped my wife and daughter do some repairs to the doll house they are working on. I had to fix some window frames and a couple of detail parts for them. They haven’t learned that when things are going wrong it is time to get up and walk away from the project or do something else. They keep trying to force bad situations and as a result cause themselves more work in repairing broken items.

So you can say I did some modeling. It just wasn’t in 1:87 scale.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Karl, I really need a Chipper/Shredder. I have to drag all the cuttings back to the woods and it's getting harder and harder find clear spots to dump them. I like the idea of making my own mulch with the debris. It's just awfully hard to justify spending at least a grand on one of those now.

I wouldn't have this one, but my wife borrowed it from one of her friends, 2 years ago! Then her husband was stricken with MS, and can barely walk now, let alone use the thing. Since his work equiptment now is taking up thier garage, we were asked to store it for awhile. So until she figures out how life is going to turn, I'll keep it dry in the shed, and occasionally get it out and give it some exercise! If it wern't for that, I'd probably go rent one for a day from the local rent-a-center. They are bigger and faster, but hey, free beats $$$$ anyday!:D

Chris, No, I havn't treated for termites. I do , over the course of the summer, go out and turn it over from time to time. (what doesn't get used among the gardens) OMG you should see the nightcrawlers in it! Fishing anyone????:D I've only treated what is against the house, mainly with stuff to keep the ants at bay. (the name escapes me at the moment) Knock on wood, I have not seen any termites around here!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top