Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks.

I had an uneventful weekend. We had a baptism yesterday, so not much was accomplished after the reception. I did get some carving done to the river valley. I've come to the conclusion that I will need to cover my foam work with plaster cloth. This will be the only way that I can get a uniform appearance while sealing the river bed. I am armed with multiple 40% off coupons and a hobby lobby gift card. This will be a good use of hobby funds. On my last layout, I just carved the foam, then painted and covered with ground foam. This attempt is harder because I'm trying to actually model a specific area. I've found myself splicing in new foam where I became over zealous with carving. I guess I'm just being picky!

I have a long and boring day ahead of me at work. We will be slow until the wedding business picks up in a month. Until then, it's all busy work getting the store merchandised for spring.

In reference to Sears, I use to tell people that if they wanted an example of what not to do in sales and customer service, just go to Sears! This is hard for me to say because my dad worked for them when I was a little kid. Everything that could be bought from them was bought form them. I've had to tell my wife that if I try to buy something from them, she should slap me!:eek:

I hope you all have a great day.
 
Forgot to ask, Mt. riding or road or motor? Come down here for some Mt. riding in a abandon lime rock pit's at Croom in Brooksville! Haven't been there yet but heard it was great:D

I've got a great set of trails just west of where I live. The quarry bit sounds like a good'n. We have a quarry complex near here at Beachville that is owned by Carmeuse Limestone--now you got me thinkin' a roadtrip down there!:):)

We're going to a high of 14C today in the sunshine--heeheehee:p:):) More Mt. biking for this puppy!!:D:D:D

Actually what I also need to do is get better tires on the car--they look a little threadbare!!:eek::eek::confused:

Jim Have noticed this too! Not surprising but a bit disturbing at the same time--some people are suggesting a huge contraction in the MRR front being labelled as Prophets of Doom and this is going on at the same time. Definitely chin stroking time---HHMMMlet's see---HMM:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

Jeff Pack-a-Pig sounds really good for that BBQ.:D:D:D The comments re-Acer issue had me kind of wondering. I've had this DELL laptop for close to 2 1/2 years and seen NO problems with this puppy and I got Vista Premium on this:)--I do all my client work off of this as well as everything else--download stuff off my cell phone and such with no issue--and that's with an external hard drive plugged in, my mouse plugged in and as I'm typing this my iPod getting some new music downloaded into it--no problems--definitely HMMM on the Acer:confused::confused:--although I did hear that Acer did have issues with it's hardware--still HMM:confused::confused:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff: I had a similar problem with a desktop I built except it wouldn't boot if there was anything USB plugged, which really sucked when having a USB mouse and keyboard. So for shutting down I have never seen a problem like that. Hope it all comes out well.
 


Got an especially long train (long for my layout) running today. Three locos on the head end (2 L&A SDP40F's, 1 UP GP40) 11 cars, a fourth loco (KCS GP40) and 11 more cars and the front and rear of the train are about 14 feet apart, so it's nowhere near chasing itself. The layout is bigger than it looks in photos you've seen.
 
I used to love going to Sears and their tool department, but several years ago they redesigned their floor space so you will have to go through other parts of the store before the more popular spots (knowing some d*** college boy come up with this idea). Ours is an anchor store on a a mall corner with two outside doors and another leading to the main concourse. With one entrance, you now have to go through the women's wear (panties and thingies) and other clothing departments before going to the tools and the other two leads you through the appliances. Notice how walking through the appliances you have a dozen pair of salesmen eyes zeroed in on you....just hoping you will glance at a washer or TV so they can pounce on you. I dread going to Sears just for these reasons....and then they took away the catalog :mad::D.
 
I used to love going to Sears and their tool department, but several years ago they redesigned their floor space so you will have to go through other parts of the store before the more popular spots (knowing some d*** college boy come up with this idea). Ours is an anchor store on a a mall corner with two outside doors and another leading to the main concourse. With one entrance, you now have to go through the women's wear (panties and thingies) and other clothing departments before going to the tools and the other two leads you through the appliances. Notice how walking through the appliances you have a dozen pair of salesmen eyes zeroed in on you....just hoping you will glance at a washer or TV so they can pounce on you. I dread going to Sears just for these reasons....and then they took away the catalog :mad::D.

We have more or less the same layout at the mall out in our neighbourhood:mad:--but if'n you go clear across town to the MEGAMALL--All I gotta do is go through the lower level entrance and --Voila!!--I'm there!:D:D
And just to bug you--we get catalogues in the mail:confused:;):rolleyes:
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Tom, I'd love to have a choice who I use for my internet and TV provider. Unfortunately, we have no DSL so the only choice I have is Charter for high speed internet...well, high speed when it's working, which isn't all that often. :mad: I'd switch to DSL and Dish in a heartbeat if I could.

Jeffrey, it's not Vista that the problem, it's Acer. They are the Tyco of computers. I've never known anyone with an Acer that didn't have hardware problems. They also seem to have a lifespan of just about one day after the warranty runs out. Good luck getting the hardware problem fixed. That big yellow ball is supposed to come out here tomorrow too but the rain has sure been needed.

Corey, using the plaster cloth and a good layer of sculptamold on top of that is a good way to seal the bottom before you pour your water. You can't have it too well sealed, believe me.

BOC, this is the type of economy where all non-required purchases will suffer. Model railroading will actually hold up a little better because we are all such fanatics but even we have or will be cutting back. American Express announced today that their credit card default rate is up to 8.3%. These are generally the most credit worthy people in the country. If they are having problems, it's going to trickle down to all credit card companies. That will be the next shoe to drop.

Rex, I agree about Sears. I used to buy almost all my tools there but trying to find them now is such a pain, hidden behind the panties and 15 sections of women's clothing and shoes. Those commissioned salesmen give me the creeps also. Sears just doesn't seem to know what kind of store they are and this is a bad time trying to figure it out. I find I can get good tools at Home Depot for a lot less money and no salesman breathing down my neck. Sears also owns K-Mart and you can see the marked deterioration in both stock levels and employee courtesy since they took over.

Still raining here, believe it or not. I think this is the longest period of more or less continuous rain we've had in at least a couple of years. All the creeks are running bank full and we've had 3.5 inches of rain. It should stop tonight, which is a good thing, since we'd start having some flooding problems if it continued. Looks like we should have four or five days of really nice spring weather ahead.
 
I've got a great set of trails just west of where I live. The quarry bit sounds like a good'n. We have a quarry complex near here at Beachville that is owned by Carmeuse Limestone--now you got me thinkin' a roadtrip down there!:):)

We're going to a high of 14C today in the sunshine--heeheehee:p:):) More Mt. biking for this puppy!!:D:D:D

Careful on Quarrys! most if not all are no trespassing....Ask first! when I was 20 years younger I lived near a rock mine rode there on Sundays when no one was around:D Some good riding. The old pits up in brooksville are owned by a local and for a small fee and a waiver signing your off and running.
 
We made it home safe and sound from our Chi-town trip. It was a quick trip up Sat and Back today but well worth the time. We always enjoy going up to see Bro. Joe and his wife Rita. They always treat us like royalty and try to have something planned to do. We never go with any expectations but to relax and enjoy the company of two great people. They did take us to the Burlington Route Roundhouse in Aurora IL. Here is a link with a little more info on the roundhouse but I have not yet found any photos of it. http://www.asme.org/Communities/History/Landmarks/Chicago_Burlington_Quincy.cfm It has a Walter Payton room or museum with a lot of his personal trophy's on display. The round house has been restored and part of it made into a banquet/reception room. The area where the turntable was is now an open garden area with a very nice gazebo in the center. One of Joe's stepdaughters is getting married in June and another one is marrying in April 2010 and one or both of the receptions is going to be held there. Joe and Rita also took us to a restaurant in Sandwich IL. that was the dinning car on Teddy Roosevelt's Bull Moose Party campaign train from 1912 Presidential campaign. I will post pictures of the inside of the car in a day or two. I forgot to take the camera with us to Payton's Place as I did not know we were going to end up there Sunday morning after Mass and breakfast.
 
Last edited:
We have more or less the same layout at the mall out in our neighbourhood:mad:--but if'n you go clear across town to the MEGAMALL--All I gotta do is go through the lower level entrance and --Voila!!--I'm there!:D:D
And just to bug you--we get catalogues in the mail:confused:;):rolleyes:
Our local Mall is like that too. I intentionally park by the lower Sears entrance so I can drag the Mrs. through the tool dept!:D

Rex. Buy a 3 piece tool box from Sears, and you magically get catalogues in the mail!!!:eek::D
 


OK--I spent the last few hours cutting points off of toothpicks for my utility poles--double ended toothpicks at that --clip one end save other end to stick into foam-heeheehee:):):rolleyes: And going through some architectural engineering books to see what styles of atria were being produced/built/designed in my era so that I'm not doing a Robert Bofill/Architectonics stylized atrium from 1997 in an era that at the latest was ca. 1986ish.:eek::confused: Talk about a bit iffy in the time tunnel sense:p

Jim If'n there is a contraction of the sort that is getting discussed I'll be ready for it--just got the last of the cards paid off today and cancelled all but 2(we somehow at one time had 6!!:eek::eek:). One is going to be a 'Spring' card for medical vet visits for the cat if he needs it and the other is strictly our hobby card--Audrey's and mine.:):D I also paid off what I spent on it a few days ago--so's we done.:) My shortline roster will be 8 RS11's, 4 RS3's, 4 RS2's and 4 H16-44's. That is followed up by 4 RDC2's for passenger service. And if any headaches occur I'll actually have ALCO backup what with all those RS's I got!!:p:D:D:p. The market issues will probs be a major sticking point for at least the next 5 years I feel--so's I VERY careful around trading I'll tell you!:eek::eek:

Chris I sent the co. a letter a little while back because I wanted to photograph an underpass made from digging a tunnel under the CN doubletrack main that runs between Ingersoll and Woodstock ON. I not only have the permish to do that but got a pamphlet on the quarry's history--dates back to some early limeburning kilns found just uphill from the main office(ca. 1760-70). And actual permish to do this any ol' time!!!:):D:D It helps when the person signing said letter knew my father and me going there several years ago when we went looking for shell fossils--:). Sometimes connections help!:D

Well, I's be headin' for sleep----g'night:)
 
Larry, sounds like an excellent trip to the Windy City. It's not my favorite place but there are a lot of things to do and tons of great places to eat! I miss Chicago style pizza.

BOC, if I had to only give one piece of advice to a younger person, it would be to live debt free. What you're not paying out in 22% interest on credit cards beats anything you can earn in the market. Only buy on a credit card what you can pay off in the same month and get a credit card that gives you the best deal in air miles or cash back. No one needs more than two credit cards. Having more is just an invitation to run them up when you see see something you really want but don't really need. Remember, when you live in debt, you're a slave. Living debt-free makes you a free man. I don't have the crystal ball to tell me how bad this downturn is going to be but my 40+ years of investing experience tells me it will be long and deep. It's not going to end with one good week in the market. Those drowning in debt will be thrown in the deep end and allowed to go under. I hope those 72" TV's were worth it. :(

Nice clear skies not after getting 3.75 inches of rain in the past three days. I'm looking forward to a few days of sun and real Alabama spring weather.
 
03-17-2009

HappyStPatricksDay.jpg


Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png


:cool::D:mad::)
 
Good morning folks

It was as 40 F as I headed out this morning. High today will be 54 F.

Not much happening. My son had basketball practice. I am still trying to figure out the new cable and internet service.

This afternoon we have parent-teacher conference for my son. Tonight my daughter has flute lesson. We will see if I get any modeling time.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Well, We got the doorframe and a new door to install so that'll take up a bit of time--As well, I still got the yard clean up to do--Oh, joy. Oh bliss.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim I don't carry the dang things in my wallet--so we never went over 25% on any of them in terms of what was spent on them--we had one card that was 28.8% interest--that one was used only a couple of times--talk about SHEEESH!!:eek::eek: I'm so glad we didn't do what one buddy down the street did:eek:--run up a huge debt --couldn't even pay the interest on anything--went bankrupt:eek::eek:---but he learned his lesson--he refuses to have anything to do with CC's. He's HUGELY into saving now--he saves something like 10% of whatever he brings in---:D:D:)

Ev'body--have a good'n. But be safe out there----
 
Good morning folks.

I have the day off so I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the sixty degrees! Well, I don't have much to do outside, but I will have the window open at all times! I'm off to hobby lobby to start my plaster cloth purchasing. I can only use one coupon per day, so I'll go quite a few days in a row. I've started to notice a trend. Every time I carve foam, I cut myself. :eek: I'm not sure how I pull this off but it needs to stop. I think it has something to do with using saws for things that they were not really designed for! Oh well, at least I can say I put my blood sweat and tears into it. No tears yet, but I'm sure some catastrophe will happen before I'm done with it!

I too have had my fill with credit cards. We ran up astronomical debt trying to keep my former business afloat. Granted, this was a business venture, but we had a loose view of personal debt as well. I lost the shirt off my back and will never put myself in that position again. We are saving forty percent of our income right now for a future baby and expected downturn of income. My wife will not be able to do her current job with a little one around. Well, she could, but then she'd never see me or a child. We are starting to rebuild our credit in order to buy another house as well. I have a sneakin' suspicion that we'll have to approach that time with cash in hand. No more five percent down on a house.

I hope you all have a good day. After today the weather is suppose to take a dive back into the forties. I had best enjoy today!
 
Corey Yeah, I hear ya on the house. A friend of mine who is a realtor up here told me some people are advocating that downpayment minimums should START at 25%!!:eek::eek: I'd see maybe 10-15% but a minimum of 25% makes me think--Well, at that rate I might as well save up for the fool thing and just buy it lock, stock & barrel!!:eek::( Forget mortgages period!!:eek::mad:
 
Good morning.

It's 53 and cloudy. The high will be in the upper 70's and it will be partly cloudy as we see a welcome stranger called 'the sun' putting in an appearance.

Did some work on getting a loading dock set in place yesterday next to the southwest spur just across the road from the new machine shop. I then spent some time shuffling some structures around. Wonder how Ezra would feel about having his home right on top of his garage? I've heard of being close to your work before but it seems like a good idea for a home in an industrial area. Had to go in for an MRI this morning. Got that done then waited 20 minutes at a railroad crossing for a train to pass. Got a real good look at a GATX tank car full of Sherwin Williams paint. Today I'll be doing some work on the layout again and this afternoon I'll be going to the parents house for pizza.

Today High: 78 Cloudy early in the morning then becoming sunny in the afternoon. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the upper 70s. Northeast winds around 5 mph.

Tuesday Night Low: 52 Clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN0705.jpg
 


Morning guys. Happy St Patrick's Day!

Spending my day on call to drive a few drunk people around. Don't have to use my car and I get paid too. Totally worth obeying the law and not drinking underage (unlike 90% of the teenage population)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top