Coffee Shop 15

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I didn't get much on my to-do list. The only thing I did get done was I modified my motorcycle headlight. It was originally a 50 watt on low beam and a 65 watt on high beam. That was from the factory. Now it's a 80 watt on low beam and a 100 watt on high beam. Man, THAT lights up the night!
 
Good evening folks.

I've found out that the leak at my washing machine was not my fault. The leak is further into the water hook ups than what I could foul up. Now I know why the landlord was so calm about it! He said they would have the plumber here tomorrow.

I started cutting and gluing the rough shape for my river valley. So far it looks like stairs made out of foam. It's amazing how much I can get done if I 'just do it'. On the other hand, I start to wing it once I get moving. That isn't always good unless I've thought about how to do something for a while. Tuesday should be a good day for really carving the texture and profile. Progress is the name of the game!

Good evening.
 
Good evening.

Good day today if I say so myself. Woke up a little late, but that is expected when I don't get home till 2am. Managed to do my homework and hang out with a couple friends.

Being stupid teenagers we went filming on a lake by my friends house. One of my friends was snowboarding while being towed by a jeep. All filmed in 1080P. Friend has a nice 3,000 dollar camcorder. Afterwards we worked a bit on a movie we are working on that I am writing. Made up a scene on the spot and we found out this is going to be a very in depth series.
 


Howdy.

I went to run at the South Texas and Gulf tonight, and was disappointed in the performance of my two Athearn Norfolk Southern SD40-2s. They wouldn't consist properly (they run on my layout fine) and finally had to ditch one to keep moving. I had my first solo night, and from fighting my locomotives I ended up running out of time and not being able to complete my run.

The technical guess is that somewhere on the layout someone has an engine with a similar address or the system still has the address punched in and not dispatched. I figure next time I'll stick with my ICGs or my BN and SF GP38-2s that I've used over there without any issues.

Still, though, a bad train night is better than no train night!
 
Evening, everyone.

Bill, nice dining car.

BOC, any girl that likes steel mills is a keeper. :)

Phillip, sounds like the same kind of results I had with my girl. I told her that, for now, there was only one guy who loved her, and he was sitting here talking to her. I just got through with The Screwtape Letters. Once you get through some of Lewis's dense British humor, it's a very thought provoking book. Sounds like that new headlight should be good for blinding you in the snow. :eek:

Andrew, it was about the same temperature here as in London. I guess it seems warm to you but dang chilly to us Southern wimps. Were you able to actually fix the Land Rover? I thought they always had to be sent back to the factory or something. ;)

CJ, that RSD is a nasty disease. I don't blame you for not wanting to go in the hospital since there's not much they can do for you that you can't do for yourself. That was a great Bachmann tuneup tutorial. Time to haul out the 2-8-0 and run through the steps. Blazing Saddles is one of my all-time favorite comedies. Anything new on the 30th edition?

Dang, Chris, you get more done in one day than I do in a week. Those ribs sure sound good. My dinner was a Wendy's chicken sandwich after church.

Corey, I kinda thought it wasn't the washer connection. Sounds like the plumbing in that place needs an overhaul. Just keep at it with the foam. The more you carve on it, the less it looks like stairs. :D

Dan, snowboarding behind a Jeep? I hope your friends have good health insurance.

Trey, that is pretty weird. I suspect you're right about the system having the address already in it, since it sounds like you were fighting the decoder. Most computer systems won't permit duplicate addresses to be active though. Then again, it could just be the club gremlins again.

Sunny but cold and windy here today. It's down to 31 now. I have no idea why all my daffodils are blooming but these sub-freezing temperatures don't seem to bother them at all. Tomorrow's my day to get all the church measurements and photographs. Every time I look at that building, I wonder why I volunteered for this job. I'll post some pictures so you all can feel sorry for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning fro Ye Olde London Towne. Its a Monday, that pretty much says it all. several trains late and cancelled this morning on our line due to 'an obstruction on the track'.

Chris: how about a care package of ribs? :D dammit, now I'm going to have to schlep to Bodean's this week to cure my craving.

Jeffery: glad to see you up and about. Take it easy.

Jim: yes I managed to repair the window rails and recalibrate it. Works better now than before. Real Landrover owners do their own repairs. :cool: Seriously, I've got a copy of the shop manual so I can do most minor things myself. In this case it was just a matter of dismantling the tail door, pulling the glass, un-bending the rail, and reinstalling everything, then doing the recalibration. Not difficult but time consuming and 'pissy' work.
 
02-23-2009

Good Morning ! from TIPTON IN:eek:
TIPTONDEPOT-1.png
menu_breakfast_1.png
Diner.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
waitress3.png


:eek::o:rolleyes:;)
 
Good morning folks

It was 26 F as I headed in this morning. The winds were blowing pretty strong making the wind chill down in the teens. High today will be 40 F. We shall see.

It was a busy weekend. When did the grocery shopping and had basketball games on Saturday. Yesterday we did some shopping for a new rug cleaner. Our old one died last week. We did not find anything in stock that we like so we wound up ordering one over the Internet.

I did not get any modeling done. I did straighten up some things around the layout. A few of the Holiday decoration bins had been left around the layout and I finally got them packed away. Now I have a clear shot to the layout again.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good mid-morning. We're up to -7C now and sunny--there is a snowsquall warning in effect for us ag'in. Oh well.:cool:

Have 2 clients to see and a LHS to go to today so I can pick up some clear styrene for the arcade project--as well, if they still have it an ATLAS RS2 is waiting for me---heeheehee:D.

Andrew Don't you just love it?Chris has all these BBQ ribs going and you're over there drooling. I ended up yesterday doing ribs up on a electric grill thing we have--yeeesh:(:confused:---grumble grouch:mad:;);)

Jim my guess is that you have an extra hardy variety going there. Where are they on your property? If they are in full sun it could be that the soil temperature may be warm enough to get them going. Take some pix though!
 
money, money, money

George, i hope you can tough it out until you get your health care covered. I'm in your same position, having to cover my own health care for two more years until Medicare kicks in. I was lucky enough to get a Blue Cross policy during open enrollment since no insurance company would cover me otherwise. So, I pay $3,000 a year for a policy that will only cover me if I get run over by a streetcar or get cancer of the nose.

That's funny Jim. I would have to say look both ways before crossing any streets.
We’re in the same boat, but I only need 15 months of coverage and the union tells me the cost for my self will be $450.00 a month for full coverage. My wife will have to go on Medicare because with her, which would be the family plan the price go up to $1,100.00 a month. If I could get my annuity without retiring I would do that, but our union rules are that you have to retire to get your annuity. So the day I send a post that I’m retired that means I ran out of money.

NYC_George
 


Good morning.

It's 46 and clear. The high will be around 60 and it will be partly cloudy.

Started work on a AHM/Rivarossi Amtrak 85' flat end observation car. Unfortunately both truck retainer pins snapped off while I was trying to remove the trucks. I'll have to drill out the holes and tap them for screws. The car will be stripped, the molded on diaphragm will be cut off and the car will be repainted for MoW service. I'm thinking about fitting a couple of sliding doors into the sides of it. In other layout related work I've started work on correcting some faults on the Freezee Ice Cream shop. Whoever put it together put the side entry doors in backward with the external detail facing the inside of the structure. It wasn't easy but I got the doors off with little breakage. I'll have to do some filing and sanding but I believe I can get the structure back into serviceable condition. I couldn't find any usable info online about this kit, things like who made it, when was it made, etc. I think these two items should be enough of a challenge for now. I'm still recovering from my hospital stay.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 2/23/2009

Wind Chill: 42°F
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 23°F

So Far Today
High: 46°F
Low: 37°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph E

Today High: 62 Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 42 Mostly clear early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P1010062-1.jpg
 
Jim & George: its horror stories like yours that makes me happy I live in a country with universal health care. We may take the proverbial out of the NHS but at least I don't have to worry about paying 3k a year just in case I scrape my knee.

boc: I'm really tempted now to either hit Bodeans tonight or to pick up some ribs on the way home and fire up the bbq myself. :p
 
Good morning, newbie joining the fun club. It's a chilly 35 this morning as of 9 AM. Very Windy, but still sunny for a nice video of NS 047 the Red Unit RBBX Circus at Robious and Huguenot in Chesterfield VA. Running 4 hrs late on the run to Huntsville Alabama. Now at school and it's still 40 some degrees and the wind is just as bad. High won't get much higher, about 42 for a high. Winds up to 25-30 MPH. Gusts to 40 at least. Nothing like a chilly morning for the greatest train on earth. For my layout news, just got a new HO scale boxcar.
 
Andrew and BOC, I got 2 ribs leftover:p and there mine all..........mine I tell ya:D This weekend my family and I are going to the strawberry festival this saturday:D Carny food and Fresh Strawberry's everyway you can think of! I will take tons of pic's that day of the food!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g0yCCoMAFk
http://www.flstrawberryfestival.com/index.html
Let me guess you want a care package of a flat of fresh strawberries and citrus.....LOL's


Jim, If you knew actually how much Physical work I do in a day I would make you tired for a month:) Today I, Cleaned the public restooms, hand and power Raked four base ball fields, emptied 30 55gal trash cans, picked up all loose trash and debris and managed to manicure mow 9 acres of bermuda grass!:eek: tomarrow is more of the same:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evening, everyone.


CJ, that RSD is a nasty disease. I don't blame you for not wanting to go in the hospital since there's not much they can do for you that you can't do for yourself. That was a great Bachmann tuneup tutorial. Time to haul out the 2-8-0 and run through the steps. Blazing Saddles is one of my all-time favorite comedies. Anything new on the 30th edition?

Yeah, nasty isn't quite what I say about it. I can generally live with the pain day to day and I do get some narcotics that barely eases it, but this past week was my first "crisis". Man talk about unrelenting...

Thanx for the comment about the tune up article Jim. I was wondering if anyone was even reading it. If you're tuning up a 2-8-0, when you get the frame out of the boiler, check the part of the frame that fits into the cylinders. On the earlier runs of the 2-8-0, (and the mountains as well) this part was molded with a slight curve in it on the bottom. This was not supposed to be there and results in an incorrect mesh with the gear. If the "curve" is there, file the bottom flat. This will correct the gear mesh, and the gear will not wear out prematurely.

In the 30th ann. DVD there's the TV pilot called Black Bart, staring Lou Gossett Jr as the sheriff, and Steve Landesberg as his sidekick. It wasn't that funny and I can see why it was just a pilot. It has part of the Biography Channel's story about Madeline Kahn and her premature death from cancer. It aso contains outtakes, and deleted scenes that weren't in the theactrical release but was in the edited for TV versions. Then there's the standard DVD fair, different languages, the director's commentary, which was funny itself at times, and the scene selector.

Talk about a confusing day, (strange would be a better word)! I was scheduled for jury duty this week. I was to be there at 0830. At 1030, I woke up. My alarm didn't go off, (or I just slept through it). I finally got someone on the phone at the circuit court clerk's office. What they said floored me. "We marked you abscent. But don't worry, we had more than enough people show up so you're not needed. We'll just put you back into the future juror pool and use you later. Have a nice week."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Coffee Shop Nathan! I see you're from the mid-Atlantic region, about a 3-hr drive from where I'm at. I know at least 1 other member from your region, railbuilderDhd - I think he's in Fredericksburg (doesn't hang out here though).

Chris - how can you torture poor Andrew and BOC like that, LOL

Spent most of Sunday drwaing up a track plan for a local steel-modeling friend; managed to give myself a helluva tension headache trying to fit all his required 'druthers' into the teensy space - now I know why guys like Byron Henderson charge money for doing stuff like this :rolleyes:!

I started today with a 9:00am doctor's appt., had to fast for it because they needed to draw blood. The nurse comes in and takes my BP, takes a quick glance at the guage and says "148 over 92" then hurries out of the room. "Great!" I'm thinking, here I'm already on 3 different BP meds, now what!? 5 minutes later the doc walks in and checks it himself. After pumping up the air bag thing [don't know what it's called :confused:] he stares at the guage for ~30 seconds. "Uh-oh" I thought, it must be really bad! Then he smiles and says "126 over 79." Apparently the needle on the guage needs to 'stabilize' for a few seconds before an accurate reading can be obtained.

I've been really tired and groggy most of the day, don't know if it's because of having blood drawn? Anyhoo, I'll probably just crawl under the covers after supper tonight. Don't have much energy for anything else. C U all later.
 
Carey We had a guy we worked with who just did not go, did not call and he found out that there was warrant for his arrest. He got it all straightened out but scared the liven bejeebers out of him.
 
Carey - I don't have have a clue what "RSD" is but man does it ever sound unpleasant! :eek: I got a letter from the County ~ 2 yrs ago saying I was being summoned for jury duty on a certain date. Didn't say where I was supposed to show up, it just said to call a certain telephone number on the day before the trial for further instructions. So when I called at the appointed time, a recorded message said that all jurors whose Summons serial#'s [including mine] were past a certain number were not needed.

Larry - your buddy obviously underestimated the Power of The State, LOL!
 


Ken,Chris-I have a cousin who quite regularly ships strawberries up here from there. It's those dang ribs he has----:(:rolleyes::rolleyes: I found out that our rib-fest that normally is held the first weekend in August is still a go, so I'll be collecting all kinds of BBQ recipes---so there :p:p

Welcome to the place Nathan!!!

Ken I wish that some nurses wouldn't blurt stuff like that out when they're not sure of the thing--kinda makes a person get a little nervous
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top