Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


We have some extra leaves right now too. Good crop this year. :)

Today went to lowes and bought two sheets 1/4" plywood, one side sanded......to use for new expanded layout bench top. They had three different types of 4' x 8' x 1/4" panels to choose from......$13......$20......$22. The first two were called underlayment. I got the deluxe $22 model because it seemed the thickest and strongest and looked more like plywood. Kind of thin but for N scale should be fine....I'll use ribs every foot to screw it down flat......plus easier for my tired back to carry.

I had them make two cuts on each sheet....leaving me with two 3' x 4'.....and two 3' x 5' platforms.....and a couple 1' x 5' scraps. The sign on the big panel saw said accuracy of cuts only guaranteed to 1/2". I asked the guy to please try harder and he kept to within 3/16".....I can work with that.

Tomorrow I'll go back and get two or three bundles 1" x 3" pine sticks and self tapping wood screws to make the frames. Made frame in this photo ealier this year and it's real light but plenty strong.




Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The sign on the big panel saw said accuracy of cuts only guaranteed to 1/2".
Mike

Mike,
I used to work part time at a Lowes and that sign isn't there to designate the inaccuracy of the saw,,,,,its more to describe the IQ of the operator..:rolleyes:

I used to cut sheets of underlayment into spline (before we opened) and could cut a 4x8 sheets int1 inch strips with no problem!:D
 
[COLOR=Red said:
kbkchooch[/COLOR];287073]Mike,
I used to work part time at a Lowes and that sign isn't there to designate the inaccuracy of the saw,,,,,its more to describe the IQ of the operator..:rolleyes:
Amen to that! I used to work in a wood shop making handmade office furniture. I could cut up 4x8 sheets of 3/4" birch plywood on a table saw all day long and never miss a cut.


Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0949.jpg
 
Mike,
I used to work part time at a Lowes and that sign isn't there to designate the inaccuracy of the saw,,,,,its more to describe the IQ of the operator..:rolleyes:

I used to cut sheets of underlayment into spline (before we opened) and could cut a 4x8 sheets int1 inch strips with no problem!:D
Hey...all that saw dust is good for soaking up spilled fluids too! :p



Mike
 
Good morning. It's 70° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. The high will be 85° and it'll be partly cloudy.
pcloudy-1.jpg


Watched a somewhat interesting movie last night called 'Derailed'. An undercover operative battles terrorists after they hijack a train. It was the usual kick them once, kick the twice, kick them again then beat them up one side and down the other Van Damme treatment. I give it one star. Definitely not one of his better movies.

I have no idea what I'm going to do today. I'm still thinking about what material to use to make the gallery for the grain elevator. Styrene is out. Card stock? Cardboard? It'd be nice if I could find something that's already the general shape I need.

P4170123.jpg
 


thats just thinning the herd:rolleyes:

You have a herd of fingers?!?:eek::eek:

.................................


Good Morning

We are to be getting rather dull today with the ever popular 30% chance of showers today...which usually means we get to be rather dull....

Going to get a few more pieces o' that there pink foam from Home Despot and see about picking up some more tools as well....tools...toys...mmmmmm....:rolleyes:

Have a good day....:)
 
Nice sunny morning here in whistle stop, ohio. 59* degrees now, to top out at 67* later. Landlord is out raking leaves. Something about bright yellow leaves piled and scattered across red brick streets looks like a scene from national geographic or architectural digest.

Tempted to go fly F27C stryker airplane at knox county official AMA RC flying field.....five minutes away across the river. Haven't done that in two months or more. But then....wouldn't make any progress on whispering prairie micro railway empire......and....don't feel like bringing home a mangled broken aircraft today. :p After two months....thumbs get a bit rusty on the sticks. Need to get lumber cut while weather is nice.




Mike
 
Perhaps some of you guys feel this way too.......(I'm only 57)...when I wake up in the morning....every morning....I feel like a squashed bug...lol! Oh....the pain! :D Also get numbness in various body parts....like Jeffrey. The top of left thigh at times feels like it's being burned with a heat gun...:eek:...(pinched nerves in spine I guess)...was why I had to quit the candle factory job after two weeks....short time ago.

30 years hauling building materials, heavy tool boxes.......two decades crashing on ski slopes.....plus mishaps with off-road motorcyles took a serious toll on my lower discs. Just feel lucky to be walking on two legs anymore. :)



Mike
 
Perhaps some of you guys feel this way too.......(I'm only 57)...when I wake up in the morning....every morning....I feel like a squashed bug...lol! Oh....the pain! :D Also get numbness in various body parts....like Jeffrey. The top of left thigh at times feels like it's being burned with a heat gun...:eek:...(pinched nerves in spine I guess)...was why I had to quit the candle factory job after two weeks....short time ago.

30 years hauling building materials, heavy tool boxes.......two decades crashing on ski slopes.....plus mishaps with off-road motorcyles took a serious toll on my lower discs. Just feel lucky to be walking on two legs anymore. :)

Mike
If you saw an Xray of me, you'd think you were looking at a display from Ace Hardware. My doctor has started calling me Evil Knievel...
I've been forced to start modeling in HO, and as much RTR, pre-built stuff as possible, since my fingers are pretty bad from arthritis. It sucks to have the knowledge and skills to do so much, but the inabiity to perform simple tsks like cutting plastic parts off sprues. I used to model in N scale, ever since the early days of it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


BNSF971, nice work on the locomotive. I'm building layout in N scale now......but as time goes on I may start picking up whatever occasional deals on used HO gear I can afford as well. I really like both.




Mike
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top