railfan
junk collector
Jeffrey, what a fantastic story of james J. hill! Therefore, I shall now model the great northern RR. First I'll need to get the horses ready so my men and I can scout some territory.
Mike
Jeffrey, what a fantastic story of james J. hill! Therefore, I shall now model the great northern RR. First I'll need to get the horses ready so my men and I can scout some territory.
Wow, I guess thanksgiving comes a lot sooner in canadia......hee hee! Did not know that.Good Morning all....
Well, did it get frosty out here last night..everything is all frosted up here...going to get to a high of 54F later on today..with a cloud/sun mix....we can see the cloudbank to the north of us'uns even now....
Today is our Thanksgiving day and as we are speaking the turkey is right now in the oven for a good little while...we are expecting company later on....hohoho...
Anyways..have a good one!!!![]()
I'd start scouting in the living room. There's more room for the horses.First I'll need to get the horses ready so my men and I can scout some territory.![]()
Mike
Afternoon all.....Busy week simce I was last on.
Railfan: I model the GN railway, for whatever reason. I have a complete Empire Builder (hense I need a LOT of space) from postwar to about 1960. Unfortunately, I bought the E7's whch GN ran from 1947-1949 as they weren't strong enough pulling through the Rockies. They were replaced with the F series which I haven't yet been able to find in the brand I want for a price I am willing to pay. The GN is responsible for putting Glacier National Park on the map as until after WWII it was almost the only way to see the park. They had the Hotel in the park and the trains ran right past it.
On a side note, I go apartment hunting on Friday, so I then have a week to get to Springfield. I start there on the 22nd. Lots of busy work around my daughter's place yet. The wife will follow once the house sells. After 3.5 weeks since the last showing, they showed it last Friday. Still no offers.....you'd think the house was in a bad neighborhood. It isn't.
You chose a great one. I really enjoy stories about railroad tycoons, industrialists, and the expansion of western USA. Don't know that I will actually do the GN myself....maybe if win the lottery.....but had a moment of enthusiasm at least.Railfan: I model the GN railway, for whatever reason. I have a complete Empire Builder (hense I need a LOT of space) from postwar to about 1960.
The hotel interior looks awesome........and I trust the glacier N.P. scenery is too. The only time I was ever in montana was when I camped at a roadside campsite near Gardiner one night in the mid 1990's. I was touring yellowstone on labor day weekend and the N.P. campgrounds were all full.....so it was a short drive out of the park to where I camped.I have stayed at that hotel. Beautiful building. Inside, they have huge logs, over 3 feet in diameter running from the floor all of the way to the roof, four levels high.
The hotel interior looks awesome........and I trust the glacier N.P. scenery is too. The only time I was ever in montana was when I camped at a roadside campsite near Gardiner one night in the mid 1990's. I was touring yellowstone on labor day weekend and the N.P. campgrounds were all full.....so it was a short drive out of the park to where I camped.
Mike
It's a little cooler but still feels like a steam bath in the afternoon.good morning ,its 80* out going to 90* & humid , god i love this weatherbut i think the dry air is coming lol, so jeffery is it getting cooler by you or still nice & steamy ??
![]()
The NP and GN were sister railroads, along with the CB&Q and SPSR (the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railroad is the one I usually miss) merged and created the BN. They were all owned ultimately by James Hill or his company. He tried several times to merge them before he died, but the ICC wouldn't allow it. Very intersting history on those rail roads.
Mine are now boxed up pending the move. I just hope not to wait another 15 years before taking them back out of the boxes again.
I hear that.....lol!!!Yeah, you can say that. You just say what his party is, what he's running for, who he's running against, what he had to say, etc, etc, etc.
