Circus Train Thread

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hey Johnny. A little fun fact for you: The current Barnum & Bailey Circus Train doesn't have a privately owned locomotive. They rely on the local motive power to move their train wherever it is going. I learned that from Extreme Trains on the History channel. Pretty cool, huh?

Hello Exohead,

You are correct. But then again the circuses never did own locomotives for pulling the trains and most never had a yard goat at winterquarters to move equipment around. It would have proven too costly. The trains were assigned power according to the host railroad.

This often put the shows at the mercy of the railroad. Here are just a few means by which the shows moved cars around the shops instead of waiting and/or paying for a locomotive;
Elephants
Horses
Tractors/Caterpillars
Motorized Vehicles-Trucks Cars, etc,..

Thanks for sharing an important fact about these trains!

Johnny
 
Kool thread. Still reading it. (Oh yeh Exohead mentioned this already, kool)
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but I have an episode of "Extreme Trains" from the History Channel on my DVR at home that follows the the whole setup, teardown, move of the circus from city to city via train recently and some more of the amaizing history of Pt Barnum's logistics etc. Including the "elephant walk" /parade Great show
They also showed one of the cars they purchased and refurbished for quarters.
BTW your work so far looks awesome. My kids want some of the old time open cage cars with animals, not sure if they actually used anything like that back in the day. Interesting to research though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Kool thread. Still reading it......... My kids want some of the old time open cage cars with animals, not sure if they actually used anything like that back in the day. Interesting to research though.

Yes sir, those "old time" cage cars were called wagons and, for the most part, did have open sides.

Early circuses had what were called menagerie tents which were the first thing that folks saw as they made their way past the main entrance. This was a tent filled with exotic animals from all corners of the earth. Birds, reptiles, large cats, camels, zebras, hippos, and so on. Most of the "wild" animals (cats, monkeys and other uncontrollables) were left in their wagons/cages for display.

These cages had to serve two purposes. First provide optimal viewing by patrons, and second, provide safety to said patrons while also protecting the precious cargo it held. So these wagons had large enclosures that could be removed while being displayed and when in route provided cover and protection for the beasts. Some of these cages were very simple but often they were highly decorated for use in the circus street parade which heralded the shows arrival in town. There are many fine examples of theses and other historic parade wagons in at least 3 locations in this country

Circus World Museum--Baraboo, Wisconsin--Original home of the Ringling Bros.

Circus Hall of Fame--Peru, Indiana--Winterquarters of the American Circus Corp.

John Ringling Home and Museum--Sarasota, Florida--Onetime home to the Ringling Show and Casa de' John, John Ringlings' Sarasota Mansion and Art Museum.

Glad the kids are bitten by the circus bug.......

Johnny
 
I keep missing the History Channel show on the Circus. I've seen every episode but that one. I picked up a copy of Carsteens THE CIRCUS MOVES BY RAIL and it is a great book. Many facts and many pictures I reccommand it highly.
 
I keep missing the History Channel show on the Circus. I've seen every episode but that one. I picked up a copy of Carsteens THE CIRCUS MOVES BY RAIL and it is a great book. Many facts and many pictures I reccommand it highly.

It's a great episode for those of us that are partial...:D

The book you speak of is excellent. I like how they give some train loading lists. Makes it easy to model a show of various sizes. Really gives a good backround on what it took to move these big shows on a daily basis.

Fred Dahlinger(sic) of the Circus World Museum here in Baraboo has put out two or three great picture books; Trains of the Circus, Show Trains of the 20th Century and Circus and Carnival Trucks. All have some outstanding pics of various types of equipment and the modifications.

If you want another good video, Pentrax put out a tape of Circus and Show Trains. During the loading of the Baraboo Train, I can be seen riding a cut of flats out of the shops(hat and bibs). I also ran the train in many of the run-by and loading scenes. No idea they were even filming until I bought a copy and watched it.

Johnny
 
Hey Johnny, I have the part for my RBBX tool flats, maybe I'll get around to building one soon.
 
Hey Johnny, I have the part for my RBBX tool flats, maybe I'll get around to building one soon.


Hi Josh,

Can't wait to watch you build them. Given the work you do on the locos I've seen. You say tool flats? Are they the ones that have the containers mounted on them? I'm not sure what they are.

Also watch for me to post a link to a guy who has put up a site containing a motherlode of great pics of Circus and Carnival rail equipment. I just gotta get the link out from my mailbox........

Well waddya know........
http://trainweb.org/passengercars/

Great pics for building!!

Johnny
 
I'm assuming they're tool cars. But yeah, the 89' flats with containers mounted on them. ......

Hi Josh,

I'm pretty sure those cars are designated for the concessions dept. For carrying the backstock of ballons, trinkets, programs and the rest of the hoopla surrounding that part of the circus. Years ago I did a rough model of the two blue unit ones(they are basically identical) but somewhere along the line I thought it a good idea to sell them..

Are you going to build a whole show train?

Johnny
 


John Robinson's Circus Trains

Here are several pictures from my collection of my grandparents and great-grandparents circus collection from the 1920's and 1930's. My great-grandfather Theodore Schroeder was with Ringling Brothers in the early 20's with his polar bears and then with John Robinson. My grandmother and grandfather were with John Robinson circus and the Hagenbeck-Wallace circus.
 
How are the circus trains coming along here. I've been on another buying spree and am about ready to start a couple of circus/carnival modules...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top