Circus Train Thread

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


More of the roughed cars...

RBBB Tunnel Cars

Some of the hospital/circus cars were later converted to what were referred to as "Tunnel Cars". These cars were completely gutted(hollowed out), and had only vents and plated windows/doors on them. The cars were designed to accomodate equipment loaded on 'wagons' that would roll into them for travel.

Equipped with a winch for pulling them into and through the cars for loading and unloading, small forklift type tow vehicles called 'jeeps', were employed as well. The cars didn't have a long tenure with the circus as an unforseen pain in the @$$, soon came to play. While the flatcar circus had a relatively easy time loading and unloading wherever the railroads stuck them, the opposite was true for the tunnel cars. With the confines of a true tunnel and the undulating grades and conditions of the tracks designated for the process, the cars need to be jacked at the ends to keep the cars lined up on all four sides. It didn't help that some wagons were very heavy and caused spring compression as they passed from one car to another. Even so, other shows that travelled by rail, most notably, Holiday on Ice, found them suitable and created their own from baggage cars, many seeing use into the 1980's. Those cars had large doors to close and secure the ends while the Ringling cars had canvas curtains.

None the less, I am going to model 4 of them and plan to build the 'loads' for them as well.

Here is a roughed out RBBB #20(B and A ends);

RBBB_20_b.png


RBBB_20_a.png


And more shots of added roof detail to the other cars;

RBBB #43

RBBB_43_a.png


And stock car #30

RBBB_30_b.png


Have a great weekend all

May All Your Days,

Be Circus Days!!


Johnny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, Johnny. #30 has really come along. I was just thinking about decals - can you still get them for the RB/B&B or will you have to print your own?
 
Looking good, Johnny. #30 has really come along. I was just thinking about decals - can you still get them for the RB/B&B or will you have to print your own?

Hi Jim,

Custom made decals all ready to go....Made with permission a few years back. Got a letter of permission for personal use. I'm going to make some more under the agreement as well.

Johnny
 


More Ringling Cars

RBBB Generator Car # 47

Of the 25 hospital cars purchased by RBBB, only one was converted to a generator car. This is car # 47. This car is little more than a roof, floor, sides and ends at this point. Changes to the standard construction of this kit includes installing the see-thru grills for the generator, as opposed to the cast parts that come with the kit.

RBBB_47_a.png


RBBB_47_b.png


May all your Days,

Be Circus Days!!

Johnny
 
Very nice work on the generator car. It's tough to get screening with the just tright size fo that "show through" look but I think you've done it. I don't know what the yellow thing is on the inside but it looks like a generator to me from the outside.
 
Time Flies..........

I guess I really suck at keeping up with this thread and to those with a circus interest, I appologize.

Things have been quite busy at winterquarters. Today we should hit a high of 11 degrees and that means a captive workforce in the shops. The show animals are all tucked away in their warm cozy stalls, sledgehammers and sawing wood fill the grounds with the sounds of activity.

Being that this train is easier to build in large chunks, I don't often get time to lay things out for photographing, thus the lapse in recent submissions. Earlier in this thread I have shown pics of the RBBB hospital cars as they were being assembled. They are now in various stages of paint. Cars are flat aluminum with black underframes and are assembled as per the Walthers' instructions, save for a few changes. I used the old style Walthers' diaphrams and striker plates included in the original kits.

Here is generator car # 47 being hualed out of the paint shop with a MadCoW geep.

4-1.png


Same car, tweeked pic......

7.png


These photos were taken only to give an idea of the cars being done to a specific point. I posed them on the layout so as to avoid a cluttered, workbench picture, it also gives me ideas for further developing the overall scene. And I'm thinkin' POLES and WIRES!! So please excuse that the underframes and trucks are not installed on the flats and stocks as this was taken immediately from paint masks being removed.....

Here are Ringling hospital cars, stock and flats.......

4.png


In this batch of cars, 7 stock(3 Elephant--4 Horse) cars and 18 warren and Mt. Vernon flats were done.

2-1.png


The stocks are yellow with aluminum roofs and red lettering, but the roof will most likely be "roof red" when complete. Depends on paint availabilty. Flats are yellow with wood decking and red lettering. The coaches for this train will be red with gold lettering. All underframes are black......

5.png


The cats in the pictures are metal kits.

Hope you've enjoyed the Winterquarters update. Back to the shops.......

Johnny
 
The flats and stock cars look great, Johnny. I really like the way you've got the yard trackage done also. Has just the right amount of mud and weeds to give that well used look.
 
That is real nice work you've done with the RBBB car's. Having worked for Ringling in the 1970's I can tell you that they are a very serious company when it comes to their name. But let's not forget that in the glory days, most circus's traveled by rail. I'm planning an N scale circus-late 40's -early 50's. I to will be creating my own trains using one of the great other shows that traveld this country, playing the small towns that Ringling Brothers couldn't afford to play. I love the mud shows since I also worked for Circus Vargas as well. Nice work keep us posted will ya please! thanks N-scale Johnnie
 
Last edited by a moderator:


That is real nice work you've done with the RBBB car's. Having worked for Ringling in the 1970's I can tell you that they are a very serious company when it comes to their name. But let's not remember that in the glory days, most circus's traveled by rail. I'm planning an N scale circus-late 40's -early 50's. I to will be creating my own trains using one of the great other shows that traveld this country, playing the small towns that Ringling Brothers couldn't afford to play. I love the mud shows since I also worked for Circus Vargas as well. Nice work keep us posted will ya please! thanks N-scale Johnnie

Well Ballyhoo!!, N-scale Johnnie!!

I worked for Cliff Vargas in the early seventies through the mid-west. Now that Cliff is gone, it's a west-coast(CA) only show. Much like you I'm partial to the mudders. My wife and I were 24 hr for Culpepper and Merriweather and ran the candy wagon and pie car for Dick Gardens' Sterling and Reid Bros. Show, A monster of a truck show.

So what was your gig with the Big One? I think a lot of us would love to share the jackpots with you. I'll bet most folks don't know that if you work concessions for Ringling it is actually under the name Sells-Floto, another big show from the past.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more.......

Johnny
 
I knew you had to be show folk. I went to clown college with Ringling and traveled with them for a season and then in 1979 I traveled with Mister Cliff also in the alley that was bossed by Billy McCabe. I was with them for a season as well and hung up my rubber nose to settle down-which I didn't do until I hit 40 ten years ago. The Vargas show was a trip.
I was seeing a girl who worked concessions with Ringling and I loved the idea that she was paid by Sells Floto.
I had a buddy that traveled with Hoxie Brothers who said that was a tough show. Is there any way you can tell me how you made the Ringling decals that you have on your trains?
I will tell you this I always had jackpot money set aside in case I found myself being fired by Mr. Vargas for no reason-something he was famous for. I've seen him fire people just because they walked in front of him during a tirade. He was a wild man. One time on a jump through San Fran he asked me to drive his purple caddy as he drove the elephant truck. He paid extra for all this and I remember him screaming at me over the CB to keep up with him as we traveled at 90MPH on the Bay Area bridge. Crazy times man.
N-Scale Johnnie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I were first of Mays' when we hitched out with Culpepper. Didn't know a thing, just good at logistics. We bought a fifth wheel and worked 24 hr./Lot Manager. Hearing you speak of Cliff that way brings a smile to my face and rekindles memories of the different shows owners. It sounds like they are one and the same.

In 2000, Trey Key had just purchased Culpepper and it was the last time the show would would winter in Queens Creek, AZ.. Trey was a real piece of work for me, and I'm sure I returned the love. We had our share of spats, that's for sure. But he was one of those owners' who had to do it that way. He knew what he wanted and wanted it now, when it was just out of reach, well....LOOK OUT!! Many were the day we wondered if the clock tolled for the'.

The tent crew on that show were a riot. All migrant with the exception of a few mission folk. Performers were; Danny and Tovana Luvas(Rolla Bolla/Trapeese, The Batistas(Hand Balancing/Contortion), Casey Cainen(elephants), "Cheeko" the Clown(Brent DeWitt), Natalie Chandler(Phils' daughter), and some girl named Susan, who dated Trey. He hated her, but she was in WuV.. , so we'd be watchin' the show and he'd walk up to me when she did the spanish web, and say "Look at her flopping around like a BIG fish up there!" then walk off mumbling under his breath.

I also remember when we first joined Sterling and Reid in Denver, CO., someone said "Whatever you do, DO NOT look Dick in the eye!!". The were talking about Dick Garden, the owner. He was a wild man! I've never seen a guy go nuts the way he did. It was great! One minute things are good and calm, and the next, Dick was tearin' down the midway, arms swinging wildly, spewing a rage only a loving show owner could create and a look on his face like an Eagle honing in on a kill. BUT, he ran a good clean ship. No nonsense. He expected certain things from his employees and he got them. Everyone understood their place. If you didn't, Dick would come 'a callin'.......
He became a friend to my wife and me. We never had a problem, in fact when a towner tried to rough me up, it was Dick himself who was the first to have my back. We respected him and he returned the favor. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever did look him in the eye!

Man, dude, I could go on and on.......

The decals came from a friend a few years back, he had a letter from Ringling for them. Quite a detailed one at that. Lots of no-no's for permission to use.

Johnny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bill
I went to the big train show yesterday in Springfield Ma. It's a huge show that covers 4 large buildings where they hold the New England State fain in September. I saw a lot of Circus stuff in the O gauge line by Lionel. Most of it look toy like and not up to the standards of what you are producing. There is a definite market out there for good circus stuff.
see ya down the road
n scale johnnie
 
n scale tent

Does anyone know where I could find and purchase a nice 1940's/50's 3 ring size circus tent. I am starting a new N scale project with a circus scene. I'm not worried about rolling stock since I plan to paint my own with a fictionialzed circus name of Clausen and Rodgers Circus. But I need a tent and can't find one any where.
Thanks N-scale Johnnie
I know this is in an HO post sorry if I broke any rules by looking for n scale.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where I could find and purchase a nice 1940's/50's 3 ring size circus tent. I am starting a new N scale project with a circus scene. I'm not worried about rolling stock since I plan to paint my own with a fictionialzed circus name of Clausen and Rodgers Circus. But I need a tent and can't find one any where.
Thanks N-scale Johnnie.

Try Gem City Amusements, I think they are in the current Walthers' catalog. They produce nice tents in several scales and re-releasing some of the Great Circus Train stuff again.


I know this is in an HO post sorry if I broke any rules by looking for n scale.

Nah, its a CIRCUS thread......ANY and ALL:)

Let me know if you need any more help.

Johnny
 
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/770-7792 looks like the only N scale circus tent. It may not be exactly what you want but you should be able to kitbash it into a more American looking big top. Gem City only has HO and O scale and at some pretty hefty prices.

Trying to change the looks of this tent would be a lifetime project. It would be better to just try an HO top (sideshow, menagerie) and adjust it for the Big Top. As far as Gem City, their tops are worth it and the models are double what Walthers' got for them (almost 30 years ago). Not bad when you compare it to the idiots who are paying $45.00-$60.00 on a major auction site.........Just my 2 1/2 centablas.

Johnny
 


Hey Johnny. A little fun fact for you: The current Barnum & Bailey Circus Train doesn't have a privately owned locomotive. They rely on the local motive power to move their train wherever it is going. I learned that from Extreme Trains on the History channel. Pretty cool, huh?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top