Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I agree with DianneB. Once furniture is built, virtually impossible to alter effectively. Not worth the effort to ruin a good desk.
 
Hi all, I need some input please. I have this great desk/workbench.

IMG_3916.jpg


It is sturdy and perfect for my usage. I have a problem. With the new redo of the layout everything will work out better if I have an extra 7 or 8 inches on the layout end. That would put it over my desk and inch or two.

My question is: Have any of you ever made a desk less wide? I'm thinking of sawing out a 6 inch section. Of course I would have to do the drawer as well. The desk is 42 inches and I'm sure I could live with 36 inches. Will the desk become too weak or sag? I will put adequate bracing on it. I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience.

IMG_3917.jpg


I would cut out the area of the black plastic thing at that spot. Jim:)


Just have the layout hang over the 8 inches of the desk. that way you can still use the desk.

A work up i made in paint

gGiSI.jpg
 


Railrunner, That's a good one. I'm sure there are a few things down there but nothing serious I hope. The only thing I'm missing is my best tweezers. I don't think they would go through the cracks. If worse comes to worst these are passive vents and I can go under the house and find stuff. Jim:)
 
Toot, Diane and Wilson, Thanks for the input, you all agree with my wife!:eek: This seems like and easy thing, but maybe not. Wilson, probably has to be your way, but it just seems weird to me. I can't find a 36 inch desk as sturdy as this one anywhere. Good to hear from Canada and Down Under. Hope you've all spent some time in the 'thread.' Thanks, Jim:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This one I can't offer no suggestions on. I'm not a carpenter. Sorry. I think the drawing might have sompossibilities tho. Lee
 
Shorten desk -easy to do

Shorten desk - Easy to do..

Do not splice.....

Cut top and framing to length
Trim framing back for same ammount as on original end.

Remove framing from end of desk.
attach end to main piece. use glue and screws/biscuts.

Rework drawer in same manner.

take care ,,, ken
 
1st phase of the redo is finished. Here's a photo of the lowering of the top track and subsequent new scenery. Now comes the hard part figuring out how to put a tunnel in this low relief area below the turnout. The new grade on the upper track beyond the turnout is 2 degrees. Jim :)

IMG_3915.jpg

I'll leave you to puzzle out whether you want to attempt the alteration to your workdesk (wives do sometimes have the right ideas though)(how's that for passing the buck). Now, back to this problem of the tunnel, not quite clear as to where you want it to go. Is this so you can get the track fom the jetty to join back up to the layout, or to a new line, and are you going to extend the cut off branch down to the jetty again?
 
Throw it on your local craigslist and take a look at other desks, like computer desks that may match the demensions you want. Cutting it up is too much of a hassle then its worth.
 
Loto, Thanks for the suggestion. My wife liked it too. I've searched everywhere for this type of heavy, sturdy and cheap desk with no satisfactory results. Naturally we can't remember where we bought this one.

I've decided it should be wiser to tackle the ore tipple scene first to see it I need to do something with the desk anyway. Jim :)
 


Chris, I cannot find a replacement or another shorter model than this one. 42" is pretty standard for this type of cheap desk. Thanks, Jim:)
 
I've decided it is wiser to fit the ore tipple and water scene in first. This is going to be very difficult and challenging. Here is the latest picture of the hole I have to fill. Jim :)

IMG_3918.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When you get done "playing" are you gonna leave it alone so we out here in "oz" can wath your train run. Only kidding, ha.Think you'll live long enought to see itfinished. Maybe you should take that quiz I sent you in regards to your life span or at what age are you going to die? If you don't have it I'll forward it to you. Lee
 
Judgeing from some of your previous posts Jim, I expect it will be completed by next weekend!!!! No matter when it's done I'm waiting to see it.

Steve
 
Steve, I don't think so this time. Unfortunately the ore tipple scene suffered some serious damage this week end. I was cutting away some pieces of scenery and the whole thing bent and I didn't realize what was happening and the tipple and engine house are in a bit of trouble. Jim:(
 
Steve, I don't think so this time. Unfortunately the ore tipple scene suffered some serious damage this week end. I was cutting away some pieces of scenery and the whole thing bent and I didn't realize what was happening and the tipple and engine house are in a bit of trouble. Jim:(

Maybe some simulated equake damage:)

Kevin
 
Kevin, There is earthquake damage all right. I was adding some bracing under the track leading to the tipple and the whole works got away from me and I grabbed to catch it an flattened the engine house. Bummer.

Railrunner, It currently looks like that right now. Jim:confused:
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top