Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I haven't made much progress since my last post. The track is tacked down with push pins, and will most likely be moved around here and there as I try to plan where my buildings, structures and landscaping will go. One of my challenges is trying to use as much of my dad's buildings and trains as possible. I added more track, but I'm waiting for 2 more right handed turnouts before I can put the 2 new spurs on the layout. In the picture below, the green area will be my Texas Gulf Coast waterfront. The yellow area looks like the spur comes into contact with the inside mainline, but it doesn't. The blue areas are where the grain elevator might go. I still have to assemble it first. These grain elevators were a major part of everyday life growing up in central Illinois, so I feel obligated to find a place for the grain elevator.
It sports a 13.5" x 9.5" footprint
I found a passenger depot in my 12 boxes of stuff, so I might end up putting it in the top center of the layout. The outside mainline is primarily for passenger train traffic, but the passenger depot will be inside the freight train mainline (inside mainline).
The 5 spurs on the top left of the layout are for the "working stations" my dad bought. 3 of them run on AC power, so they will be wired to, and controlled from, my main electronics control board, which isn't built yet. They won't be used very much, which is why I put them on their own spurs.
It seems like most of the buildings and stuff that my dad bought 20+ years ago are very old school, and it's probably stuff that serious model railroaders would never consider using on a modern layout today. But, my goal is to use what I have, and build a model railroad that is fun to operate, and one that showcases my dad's personal collection that he never had the chance to enjoy.
Thanks for following!