Building My First Layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.




I've assembled 4 buildings since my last post. I want to see how and where all of my buildings fit on the layout before I glue the roadbed and nail the track down.

I have many buildings that were already assembled, but these are some that were still in their boxes.

PXL_20231130_231214778.jpg


PXL_20231205_211427952.jpg


PXL_20231130_231454001.jpg


PXL_20231206_012028906.jpg


PXL_20231130_232451073.jpg


PXL_20231206_012016364.jpg


PXL_20231206_014617792.jpg


PXL_20231209_002845932.jpg


PXL_20231209_002858790.jpg


PXL_20231209_002909281.jpg
 
Great progress!

like the variety of buildings being used.

Thank you!

I'm considering buying another left hand turnout and adding a spur on the top part of the layout, to the right of the other spurs, to use for my grain elevator.

I have 2 or 3 storage bins full of assembled buildings, so I have to figure out where to build my downtown area, my residential area, business area and industrial area.

Streator had a Burlington Northern office when I lived there. The building is still there but the tracks are long gone now. They had an EMD NW2 switcher there that they kept busy with. Here is an old picture I found on the internet, and I don't recall who took the pic.

showimage.jpeg


I bought a used EMD SW1 in BN colors that I might put where my grain elevator is, along with this warehouse model, rebranded with BN logos
PXL_20231130_231654176.jpg
 


I had no idea how long it takes to assemble these buildings and structures. I also had no idea how lousy the assembly instructions are that comes with these models.

It took me almost 7 hours to assemble the "warehouse" last night. I'm waiting on some Burlington Northern decals to add to the building, and I'll paint those yellow crates, ladders and barrels a more realistic color before I add them to the warehouse. I renamed it "Streator Depot".

PXL_20231213_112932913.jpg


My EMD SW1 arrived in the mail yesterday. It's DC only, and has the hornhook couplers. I'm pretty sure it was made by Model Power, but this one didn't come with the original box. It works as it should and looks great for it's age.

PXL_20231212_193647989.jpg


PXL_20231212_193656745.jpg


I have a few more structures to assemble, and then I can figure out where to put everything.
 
Last edited:
I had no idea how long it takes to assemble these building and structures. I also had no idea how lousy the assembly instructions are that comes with these models.

It took me almost 7 hours to assemble the "warehouse" last night. I'm waiting on some Burlington Northern decals to add to the building, and I'll paint those yellow crates, ladders and barrels a more realistic color before I add them to the warehouse. I renamed it "Streator Depot".

View attachment 178003

My EMD SW1 arrived in the mail yesterday. It's DC only, and has the hornhook couplers. I'm pretty sure it was made by Model Power, but this one didn't come with the original box. It works as it should and looks great for it's age.

View attachment 178004

View attachment 178005

I have a few more structures to assemble, and then I can figure out where to put everything.
Love the buildings, quick question, you say it's called "Streator Depot" but your building sign says "Sreator Depot" which is it ?? 🤔 :)
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top