Hi folks - my first post here.
This thread, and all the photo's are absolutely amazing!! All the more so because I am currently building a model of that very benzol plant!!! I'm using photo's and drawings I found at the HABS/HAER website, but some of the great photo's here answered a question I had about some of the piping.
Whoever said it would make a great model is right. I thought so the first time I saw the photo's. The benzol plant seems to have a lot of interesting parts in a small footprint, so I started there.
I hope you won't think I'm hijacking the thread if I post a few pix of my build. It is not finished yet, but is slowly nearing completion.
Glenn, I hope you're still around, because I have some questions about what some of the tanks around the plant are.
Here's the upper platform with the 2 light oil condensers in progress.
A view from the side showing the agitator.
Awaiting some Plastruct tubes to create the tanks in front, this shot is approximately where I'm at with it now.
I'm sure those of you who are familiar with this plant will notice a couple of errors that crept into the model, such as the concrete rather than corrugated building to the left, the ribs on the agitator, and the lack of a ground floor door at the front of the brick building. I started out with the idea to just approximate the real thing, but have been getting more and more obsessed with greater accuracy as I go.
I would really welcome any comments and suggestions.
cheers
Val